Notifications
Clear all

Accutane Help Please

MemberMember
(@noanswer23)

Posted : 06/01/2013 11:45 pm

Hi, I've been dealing with severe cystic acne for about 11 years now, which completely changed me as a person. I avoid people, I refuse to go outside, I even had to take a break from college because I just couldn't go to class anymore and my grades were dropping really low. I tried every over the counter products, antibiotics, retin-a, even laser treatments. I did laser treatment for 3 months straight and it definitely cleared me around 50-60%, best my skin has ever looked. But as soon as I stopped the laser treatment my acne came back with vengeance and was even worse than before. I was so depressed and felt hopeless, didn't know what to do anymore. I went to see a new dermatologist and he kept recommending me accutane and eventually I gave in and started accutane.

My first month I took 40mg a day. Second month I took 60mg a day. I stopped breaking out for the most part and my skin felt better towards the end of the second month; however, I noticed some serious side effects. My foot started to have this tingling sensation ALL the time and would go kind of numb everytime i lied down to sleep. Everytime I was trying to go to sleep, I felt like my whole body was going numb. I was so scared it would take me like 3 hours to fall asleep. I also had severe back pain and joint pain in general. I also had really dry mouth which made me hard to breathe and was thirsty all the time. I was so scared that I might have gotten diabetes even though there is no history of diabetes in my family. Fortunately, the blood test came out and doctor told me my sugar level was fine, just my cholesterol that was a little high. But he said everything was fine and it was fine for me to keep taking accutane. I told him all my side effects and how scared I was about this foot numbness, but he said he has no idea why that's happening and I shouldn't worry about it. But just incase, he lowered my dose to 40mg. But I've been too scared and in pain to take it since finishing my 2nd month. I just don't know what to do right now. Should I continue at a lower dose or just stop all together. I've stopped taking it for few days but my side effects haven't gotten any better. My finger hurts so badly like I have arthritis and my feet are still tingling/throbbing/numbing 24/7 which keeps me from concentrating on anything. Also I've started to turn yellow so I went to my primary doctor and he is testing my blood for Jaundice, though result hasn't come out yet. I just feel betrayed by my dermatologist because I read about the serious side effects before I started the drug and that's why I was so hesitant on taking it, but he told me he has never seen any of those serious side effects and they were all myth. Only thing I would experience is dry skin, lips and some back pain. Also If i stop now, my skin is basically exactly the same and now I have all these painful and scary side effects so I don't know if i should push through it or not. Please help.

Sorry for ranting on this long, I'm just really scared and I need some help.

Also I used to get erections in like 5 sec or less and would get rock hard, but now it takes so long to get erect then it doesn't stay erect anymore. Is taking it for 2 months too long for me to recover?

MemberMember
(@oilydave94)

Posted : 06/02/2013 1:58 am

Back pain and loss of libido are common side effects of accutane, it goes away for most when they stop accutane. I had really bad back pain and some loss of libido, I didn't have an issue with erections but sex didn't have the same sensation and I wouldn't be in the mood as much as pre-accutane. Both completely went away for me about 2 months post-accutane, but I was only on it for like a month and a half.

MemberMember
(@oli-girl)

Posted : 06/02/2013 8:35 am

Stop Accutane Now! My first issue with Accutane was my foot a funny string and some tingling....Unfortunately for me it didn't appear till right at the end of my course. My sugar levels appeared normal in the beginning after my course, however, I developed type 1 diabetes! You need to see a physician and have some hormones checked also!

You only took Accutane for about 2 months, I am not promising but if you stop now you have a chance of recovery from your side effects!

MemberMember
(@noanswer23)

Posted : 06/02/2013 6:56 pm

I'm so scared right now. I've stopped using accutane for past 3 days but haven't noticed any change in my side effect. My feet is still bothering me so much. Don't know how to describe it other than constant tingling/throbbing and numbing when I lie down. I'm sorry about your diabetes. I was also very scared of getting type 1 diabetes from this but my doctor told me my sugar level was normal last week unless it changed since then. How long did your feet feel like this before you found out about diabetes? I'm so scared that I can't even function anymore.

MemberMember
(@oli-girl)

Posted : 06/02/2013 7:37 pm

About 2yrs- 2-1/2 yrs! The ADA has a article on a patient who took Accutane and developed LADA (Latent Autoimmune Diabetes) Most can function normally for years with diet and exercise. It is basically type 1 just a slower progressive form. Was your test fasting levels?

As soon as I started insulin my feet subsided! I was 120pds and a wonderful diet. One day in Oct 2011 I had blurry vision, constant urination, thirst, hair loss, fatigue! My sugars fasting were 90 and then Jan 2012 660! I was on the brink of DKA and I am very insulin sensitive!

I have read that in type 1 the body attacks itself the pancreas and so you can function for a while on a few beta cells and then when they are completely destroyed then bam!

Did they check your thyroid or other hormones, iron and b12 levels! They can cause numbness etc.... Try and stay away from starchy carbs, sugary foods and drinks and see how things go. Also Roche says that Accutane can work up to 2 months after your course. Is it your derm that did these tests? Maybe you need to see your regular physician!

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/32/8/e99.extract

Good Luck

MemberMember
(@noanswer23)

Posted : 06/02/2013 8:33 pm

Wow, that scares me even more. The blood test I did was fasting levels. I didn't eat anything for 8-12 hours prior to the blood test other than few sips of water right before. I didn't even start thinking about any thyroid problems, but my throat's been hurting a little bit lately. I just assumed I had a cold or something but now I'm worried about thyroid problems as well. I think I am gonna go to a primary care doctor. I just can't trust my dermatologist anymore. I just feel hopeless and feel like I'm too late to avoid any of the side effects at this point. The more I research and read about it, the scarier and more hopeless I get. Just can't believe 2 months of this drug will ruin my life and not clear my skin either.

MemberMember
(@noanswer23)

Posted : 06/02/2013 8:54 pm

Also I just noticed 2 lumps in front of my neck. And it hurts a little bit to swallow.

MemberMember
(@oli-girl)

Posted : 06/02/2013 9:36 pm

Yes call your Physician and have some labs done! Don't stress out or worry yourself more it will make things worse! I am not sure your acne hx, but there could of been a underlying issue for the cause of your acne. Such as Hormonal etc... You took it for 2 months, stay way also from fat soluble Vit A.

eat healthy, get good rest, exercise! Surround yourself around family and friends. Don't scare yourself, go see the doctor!

MemberMember
(@noanswer23)

Posted : 06/02/2013 10:21 pm

Thanks. Your posts make me feel a little bit better. But it is very hard not to think about all these side effects and everything that can go wrong because I'm still experiencing all of them 24/7. I tried to watch tv, listen to music, take a walk, etc. but I just can't help constantly worrying and stressing out about this nonstop. I know stressing about it will make everything worse but it is just so hard to concentrate on anything. Everytime I think about how 2 months of accutane could potentially ruin the rest of my life, I have no hope, motivation or will to live.

Also about my acne, I've cut out fast food, sodas, and all dairy products for over a year and did not see any big change. I would still get so many cystic acne that would take over 2 weeks to go away then it would leave a huge scar. On top of dealing with all these serious life altering problems, I still have no answer for my severe acne either. And now its really starting to hurt to swallow and these 2 lumps in my neck are scaring me. I know it's stupid but I keep thinking about going back 2 months and never taking this poison. I'll probably go see my doctor this week and get some more tests done.

MemberMember
(@zraden)

Posted : 06/03/2013 9:05 pm

What people don't seem to get and their doctor doesn't tell them is that you need to pound

back water while on Tane. Its a must! More then the recommended

8 glasses a day. Accutane dries you from the inside out but also robs you of joint and cerebral fluids.

You must replenish these fluids. Basic rule is .. if you pee yellow on Accutane .. your not drinking enough.

If you pee clear .. your doing ok. If you don't replenish these fluids it leads to serious joint pain and headaches

until you replenish the fluids back in your body. If you feel thirsty.. its cause your body is telling

you that you need more fluids in your body.

If your having back and joint pain... its because your not drinking enough to keep

your body hydrated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MemberMember
(@noanswer23)

Posted : 06/04/2013 12:40 am

I've drank 3-4 bottles of water everyday while on accutane. And it's not really the back pain and joint pain I'm worried about. Back pain has decreased since I stopped using it although my joints in my finger are hurting. I'm scared because of tingling/numbness in my feet. Also my feet is losing sensation. I was standing on cold floor and didn't feel that cold to me and I was showering hot water and didn't really feel a thing. I'm worried about these long term, uncurable side effects. Also since I was only on accutane for 2 months, my acne is just coming back now. 2 months of this drug probably ruined my life. I'm just going through the motions right now trying to find a way out of this but doesn't seem likely. I don't wanna live in pain my whole life. I'd rather just die and end it.

MemberMember
(@oli-girl)

Posted : 06/04/2013 7:24 am

Awwww....Noanswer23- Did you make an appointment to see your physician to have some more extensive lab work done. For the joints try some Vit D, Magnesium and possibly Hyaluronic Acid Baxyl is best brand. If you lower back is still hurting try some crunches. Keep me posted and pm if needed!

MemberMember
(@noanswer23)

Posted : 06/04/2013 11:37 pm

I went in last friday and he did some blood test and chest xray (not sure why exactly). I just heard back today and was told chest x-ray was fine and blood test was good for the most part except for some low potassium. I think they also tested for liver enzymes or w/e and was ok. I'm not sure what else they tested. I think I'm gonna go in and ask them to give me a copy of the test results. And also ask them to do more tests.

My back is fine for the most part but what I'm worried about is still my feet. The tingling sensation won't go away and also there are some dark spots on the side of my feet. Also bunch of dark spots on my lower neck area now that is starting to freak me out. I was told that dark spots on neck could mean diabetes. Also a big lump infront of my neck (not adam's apple). There are just way too many things wrong with me at the moment. I don't even know what kind of tests I need to ask for exactly. I'm just scared out of my mind. Haven't been able to sleep or function.

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 06/05/2013 11:36 am

Sounds to me you have severe anxiety about what's going on. Not to say its not warranted. But the anxiety is probably making things worse. If I were you I would go to the emergency room. Tell them what's going on. You want all these tests done and answers to your questions. The hospital is the best place to get that done, if you went into a ER and told them you feet are numb and not feeling sensation or cold or hot plus they are developing dark spots. They will figure out what is going on. They won't just take your blood and send you home. Plus mentioning the lumps in your throat is alarming. It could just be lymph nodes swollen due to stress or maybe you do have a little virus causing the sore throat. Who knows but you have to take charge of your health and make sure you are ok. Sounds like your derm and GP are not taking the steps to send you away confident in your health and they aren't taking the steps to answer the questions you have. The doctors work for you remember. Go see someone who will treat your concerns with the care they deserve, no one on these boards can tell you what's going on or diagnosis or undiagnosis you with diabetes or thyroid disorders. Go get help and calm your mind you are taking about not having the will to live anymore. I mean seriously take a deep breath and go figure out what's going on with you. If you don't take charge of your well being no one will.

MemberMember
(@noanswer23)

Posted : 06/07/2013 12:27 am

I think I'm going to go to a different physician and get some more tests done. In the meanwhile, anyone know how I can get rid of my acne since I can't take accutane anymore. I already changed my diet somewhat, cutting all fast foods, soda, dairy. But I still get acne nonstop. I've took antibiotics for a while too before so I don't think that is going to work. I've tried Retin-A cream and it was somewhat effective but since that is the same ingredient as accutane, although you're not taking it orally, I wonder if it is safe. Does anyone know if Retin-A cream/gel can cause any serious side effects?

MemberMember
(@gucciruccipucci)

Posted : 06/08/2013 4:23 am

I went in last friday and he did some blood test and chest xray (not sure why exactly). I just heard back today and was told chest x-ray was fine and blood test was good for the most part except for some low potassium. I think they also tested for liver enzymes or w/e and was ok. I'm not sure what else they tested. I think I'm gonna go in and ask them to give me a copy of the test results. And also ask them to do more tests.

My back is fine for the most part but what I'm worried about is still my feet. The tingling sensation won't go away and also there are some dark spots on the side of my feet. Also bunch of dark spots on my lower neck area now that is starting to freak me out. I was told that dark spots on neck could mean diabetes. Also a big lump infront of my neck (not adam's apple). There are just way too many things wrong with me at the moment. I don't even know what kind of tests I need to ask for exactly. I'm just scared out of my mind. Haven't been able to sleep or function.

Have you always been this anxious or is this a new thing? Also, are you depressed? I wonder if the Accutane is causing mood changes for you...honestly, based on your test results so far I don't think it warrants the level of freakout you are experiencing. I do hope that your symptoms resolve themselves soon, though.