Notifications
Clear all

New To The Regime

MemberMember
(@jennb90)

Posted : 05/29/2013 4:36 pm

Hello All,

I'm new to the regime. I haven't started yet as i am waiting for the cleanser and BP in the mail which will hopefully get to me by the weekend or sometime next week. I thought i would start a log on here to document my process for myself and to also get advice and opinions. I've decided that i'm going to use my own moisturizer. I'm currently using the Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisture for Combination skin.

Here is a list of the products i'm currently using:

Cleanser - Josie Maran Argan Cleansing Oil

Day Moisturizer - Aveeno Active Naturals Positively Radiant Daily Moisturizer SPF30

Spot treatment - Acne Free Terminator 10 (10% Micro-Benzoyl Peroxide)

Night Moisturizer - Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisture Combination Skin

Suprisingly the Argan Oil cleanser is making my acne slightly better. Not that its curing it or anything. It also makes my "good skin" look and feel very nice. I am a little scared to start this regime based on some of the logs i have been reading. But i'm also excited at the same time. I just hope my face doesn't break out too bad.

A little history:

I'm 23 now. In high school my acne wasn't very bad at all. I had a couple zits here and there but for the most part i was clear. It wasn't until my first year of college that i started to break out more. Of course i tried all kinds of things from the drugstore. Some things sort of helped but most didn't keep my acne away. Thats when i also started to develop scaring from the acne i was getting. At that point it wasn't too bad. It wasn't until last year that my skin got worse. After i used this one cleanser my face just broke out. I only used the cleanser once. Since then i have tried many things from CVS to Sephora. I have finally realized that my cleanser should just be a cleanser and not have medication in it. I haven't gone to a dermatologist before. Although i have been considering it. I thought i would try Acne.org's regime first as a last try.

Question:

So my regime will consist of Dan's cleanser and BP and 2 of he moisturizers i listed above. But i'm kind of hesistant to stop using the cleanser i am currently using. I was thinking of washing my face for example: Monday with the cleanser i use now and then Tuesday use Dan's and then Wednesday us mine and so on. Does anyone thing that will interfere with my skin clearing up? The reason i want to use 2 cleansers is because my face gets use to cleansers and then that don't seem to be as affective. I feel like the Argan Cleanser may help the dryness i will experience later with the regime. Let me know your thoughts on this!

Thanks

MemberMember
(@randall-flagg)

Posted : 05/29/2013 5:39 pm

I'm wishing you lots of luck! Awesome to see another person giving the Regimen a try. I'm on Week 3 myself. :) I'll be sure to follow your progress!

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 05/29/2013 6:00 pm

Welcome as well! i am a month into the regimen and have had improvements! I don't think Dan's cleanser will be a problem as it is a very basic cleanser so there should be no reason to ease into it if you don't want to. i also use neutrogenia moisturizer but i use the one for sensitive skin.

My advice to you is be prepared to break out, maybe even worse but know that this is a good next step before trying a derm (i've been to 6 so far and none have been able to help me). I would also recommend diet changes just for the heck of it (no dairy and maybe no gluten for 3 months). Keep posting as there is a group of us that recently just started and we are VERY supportive of each other

MemberMember
(@jennb90)

Posted : 05/29/2013 8:30 pm

Thanks for the replies! I think I will try to cut out dairy. Might be a little harder with the gluten.

MemberMember
(@jennb90)

Posted : 05/30/2013 10:20 am

Hello again,

Still waiting on my regime delivery.

Skin update:

My skin seems to be getting better even though i haven't tried the regime yet. The products i'm using right now i really don't think would prevent acne so i'm still planning on trying out the regime. I have heard that argan oil does help with acne, so i guess its true considering how my face has been doing. I haven't been using the argan oil cleanser for that long really. Before i was using a cleanser by Boscia. Its a black cleanser that has charcoal in it and its all natural. That was clearing up my acne a little bit when i first started using it. But then my face got used to it and the cleanser wasn't clearing up anything. I hate having to change cleansers its really annoying. Another good thing that is happening is my dark spots/acne scars are getting lighter. They only started doing this once i started using the Josie Maran Argan Cleansing Oil and the Aveeno Active Naturals Positively Radiant Moisturizer SPF30. Those 2 are new products to my skincare routine. So i guess this says something. Maybe these products could work for you.

A Goal of mine - to stop picking! its going to be so hard.

Another Question:

Since i am applying a 10% benzoyl peroxide as a spot treatment right now, should i stop? I'm just wondering if my skin might react badly to going from that and then all of the suddenly using a 2.5% bp all over my face.

MemberMember
(@jennb90)

Posted : 06/02/2013 6:10 pm

So i thought i'd show what my face looks like before i start the regime. Most of what you see is scaring. Which makes my face look a lot worse then it actually is lol. Most of the red you see aren't active acne its just the aftermath. There are only a couple actives. I hope the pictures show up.

post-209709-0-83343200-1370214051_thumb.post-209709-0-52093500-1370214062_thumb.

post-209709-0-83343200-1370214051_thumb.

post-209709-0-52093500-1370214062_thumb.

MemberMember
(@jennb90)

Posted : 06/05/2013 1:06 pm

Yay i finally got Dan's products in the mail today! I will update later tonight to let whoever reads this know what i think of trying them for the first time.

MemberMember
(@mfxfitness)

Posted : 06/05/2013 1:38 pm

Welcome to the club!! Please be sure to follow the instructions for the regimen to the T and be consistent. You will see results in no time if you stick with it and don't get discouraged... Best of luck and keep us up to date on your progress... :)

MemberMember
(@jennb90)

Posted : 06/05/2013 2:12 pm

Welcome to the club!! Please be sure to follow the instructions for the regimen to the T and be consistent. You will see results in no time if you stick with it and don't get discouraged... Best of luck and keep us up to date on your progress... smile.png

Thanks!!! I will be sure to update.

MemberMember
(@randall-flagg)

Posted : 06/05/2013 6:43 pm

I remember how excited I was when I first got Dan's products, haha...gotta love it! Wishing you lots of luck and a smooth start.

MemberMember
(@brf7)

Posted : 06/05/2013 8:05 pm

I strongly recommend not using your own moisturizer to begin the regimen. Neutrogena's Oil-free moisturizer is good (I have it too for my oily skin), but you should really stick with the three main products if you want to get clear quicker. Other products may alter your results. Just my opinion.

MemberMember
(@jennb90)

Posted : 06/05/2013 9:29 pm

I remember how excited I was when I first got Dan's products, haha...gotta love it! Wishing you lots of luck and a smooth start.

Thanks so much. I started following your progress.

I strongly recommend not using your own moisturizer to begin the regimen. Neutrogena's Oil-free moisturizer is good (I have it too for my oily skin), but you should really stick with the three main products if you want to get clear quicker. Other products may alter your results. Just my opinion.

Thanks for the tip.

MemberMember
(@jennb90)

Posted : 06/06/2013 9:55 am

Day 1 (last night)

Cleanser - It lathered really well which i was happy about and it didn't have much of a smell to it. To me it smells like a hospital lol or like soap that might be at a hospital. I noticed while i was waiting to put the bp on that my skin didn't feel dry. Normally after washing my face my skin feels pretty dry. So that was nice.

Benzoyl Peroxide - This went on very smoothly which was nice since your suppose to put it on gentle. I tried using a pea size amount (i have the 8oz bp) but i feel like i put too much lol. I can't tell how much is too much. I don't want to start out using too much the first week. hmm.

So obviously from only doing this once there isn't any difference in my skin yet. I noticed that my skin felt a little itchy today. But its very minimal. That could just be in my head lol. I found it interesting that in the video on how to do the regime Dan says to us a pea sized amount of the bp only at night for the first week and then the second week increase the amount a little and us day and night. But in another video when he demonstrates how much you use he says the first week you can use the bp morning and night (unless you have sensitive skin). And also in that video i think he says the second week you can go up to a whole finger. Lol so which is it? I'm just going to follow the step by step animation video. Because that one tells you to go slow and i think thats better.

Alright i will update later. I was thinking weekly updates instead of daily ones. Unless something interesting happens.

MemberMember
(@ebun321)

Posted : 06/06/2013 11:52 am

I wish you the best of luck, be gentle and patient that is the key!

MemberMember
(@jennb90)

Posted : 06/09/2013 12:21 pm

Day 5

Not much has happened these past 5 days. Not that i expected much. My face has burned a little bit after applying bp to my face. One thing that is slightly annoying is that when i'm applying the bp my eyes burn and start to tear up a bit. But that settles down after a couple minutes. I'm not really too worried about it. I'm not putting the bp on my eyes if thats what your wondering. I have been avoiding that area.

In terms of my current actives they are starting to go away. Nothing new has popped up. I know this is just a "fake out" lol. Week 2 is near and i'm curious about how many actives will pop up. I've noticed a couple clogged pores on my nose. I keep looking at myself in the mirror. I know i should stop haha. I usually do this in the morning to see if any "magic" has happened over night. Which i know hasn't but i guess i'm just impatient already for my clear skin. I guess we'll see in a couple months or more.

One thing i'm curious about.

I have read some logs on here of people talking about the flaking. Which i know about, but some are saying skin is like sloughing off of their face lol. Is this an exaggeration? They just make it seem like sheets of dead skin is just hanging off of their face haha. I should hope it wouldn't be that bad.

MemberMember
(@jennb90)

Posted : 06/12/2013 9:31 am

Day 7

Well it is officially a week since i started the regime. So for the first week not too much happened. I got a couple actives. I think maybe 4. But most are going away quickly. My chin and around my mouth has gotten a little flaky. My eyes still burn when i put the bp on. But other then that nothing major really. So tomorrow i will start putting the bp on twice a day and up the amount as well. I'm just now thinking that maybe i have been using too little an amount of bp. I wouldn't say that the 4 actives i got was a break out. Because i didn't get them all at the same time. But i guess we'll see what happens this second week since its suppose to be the worst.

MemberMember
(@jennb90)

Posted : 06/13/2013 12:53 pm

Week 2 (Day 8)

So Today is the day i start using the bp morning and night. I have already done so this morning. My face feels like it was burning a little longer then usual but nothing too bad. I've noticed that i'm flaking a little more around my mouth and on my chin. The current actives that i have are slowly going down. Right now i have 5 actives on my face.

Forehead - 2

Nose - 0

Right Cheek - 1

Left Cheek - 1

Left Temple - 1

Right Temple - 0

Chin - 0

They are all taking their sweet old time going away but its happening. One really annoying thing that happens once in a blue moon is getting an active in my ear. Those hurt! lol I decided to put some bp on it and see what happens. I'm trying really hard not to pick. I do catch myself touching my face. But i'm trying to remember to touch with the back of my hand. My face has gotten a little itchy so thats why i'm doing that. Hopefully i can keep going with the no picking thing. I don't want to create anymore scares then i already have. Right now things seem to just be normal. I don't have more acne than i normally do and i don't have any less. I'm sure that will change this week. But i'm excited about being clear.

Oh on another note. My mother is recommending me go to a dermatologist. I told her i would rather not go on some sort of retinoid. I'm on a regimen right now you know lol. I really want to see what happens with this before trying other things. It seems like this happens often. My sister has played a big part in trying to help me figure out what might work for my skin to make it better. I found this site on my own. But in the past every time my sister finds something she thinks might help i start using a new product and ditching the old one. Which means i end up using all these products and switching way too often. I have given things time before, but not the amount of time i'm going to be giving this regimen. She has already tried to get me to use some other product lol. I might end up seeing a derm anyway. I'm not sure. I guess it would be good to go to see what they say about my skin and what they might think the problem with it is. But i really don't want them to give me a treatment.

MemberMember
(@randall-flagg)

Posted : 06/13/2013 11:12 pm

You're doing great so far, keep it up! In terms of retinoids, I've tried just about every single one that a derm can prescribe, lol...they work okay but it's just a spot treatment method so I find it WAYYYY less effective than the Regimen. The great thing about the Regimen is your focusing on your whole face to prevent pimples from forming instead of using a retinoid to heal preexisting pimples quicker.

MemberMember
(@jennb90)

Posted : 06/13/2013 11:45 pm

You're doing great so far, keep it up! In terms of retinoids, I've tried just about every single one that a derm can prescribe, lol...they work okay but it's just a spot treatment method so I find it WAYYYY less effective than the Regimen. The great thing about the Regimen is your focusing on your whole face to prevent pimples from forming instead of using a retinoid to heal preexisting pimples quicker.

Thanks! Yeah, you know i've just read a lot about peoples experiences with retinoids and a lot of people seem to not have success with them. I'm sure there are people out there who use them and they work great for them but i'm a bit iffy about them. Anyways i'm glad i found Dan's regimen and hopefully i have great success with it as most have.

MemberMember
(@jennb90)

Posted : 06/14/2013 5:50 pm

Day 9

Damnit i picked my skin today!!! eusa_wall.gif

Not much to say today except that my skin is burning a bit more after i apply the bp. I get a little pink on my cheeks next to my nose as well but thats it. And i only burn in certain areas of my face. Its only my chin, under my nose and the sides of my nose on my cheeks area. I'm glad i don't look red. Maybe thats because of my skin tone?

MemberMember
(@jennb90)

Posted : 06/19/2013 9:52 am

2 Weeks (Day 14)

Well hello everyone,

It's been 2 weeks! A couple of things have happened this week. First off, i didn't break out like i thought i would. hifive.gif BUT, who knows maybe the big bad breakout will happen later. At the most i got a total of 6 zits at once. So guess that was a breakout? After those flattened out i now currently have 1 active. I do feel 1 or 2 under the skin zits possibly though. Not sure. Other then that my face still burns but not as much. My face is a lot more dry which isn't so fun. The flaking is still mostly located around my nose, top of my lip and on my chin. Started to get a little dry on my temples.

I started to use this oil on my face that my sister gave to me. Before trying it out i looked it up to see if it would be safe to use. It's an essential oil by a company called Darphin. Its called Organic Tangerine Aromatic Care. It's ingredients are Tangerine, Grapefruit, Sweet orange, Lemon, Carrot Essential Oils, 100% of the total ingredients from natural origin. Formulated without parabens. Non comedogenic. Dermatologist tested. Clinically-proven efficiency. I just copied and pasted that info. So since it's non comedogenic its ok to use right? i'm deciding to use it instead of jojoba oil. If it irritates me or doesn't seem to not moisterize very well i'll stop using it and use the jojoba oil instead.

But anyways thats really it for week 2. Hopefully week 3 will be good and hopefully the dryness will calm down although i'm thinking it might be a while before my face texture goes back to normal. I'm also thinking the burning will go away soon. I keep wondering if people actually read my log. I don't think i'm too popular yet like some other people i see on here lol. I should probably be a little more social or something.

MemberMember
(@jennb90)

Posted : 06/27/2013 6:18 pm

Week 3 (day 21)

Almost to a month! And also now going to be using a full fingers length of BP.

I would say that i haven't really noticed any real change that last time i posted. Some zits have gone down and gone away, but then of course another takes its place. But i haven't really gotten too many on my face at one time. Right now i have 2 actives, and i guess maybe 2 tiny ones that i guess don't really count. After i put my moisturizer on my skin still burns a bit. I have decided to use the Jojoba oil. The way that i put it on is i put it on first and then i put on moisturizer on over it. So i'm using more then a couple drops lol. I just find it kind of annoying to add it to my moisturizer in my palm and mix it up with my finger. The flaking isn't really so bad as of right now. It was kind of bad early in my second week to the middle of the second week. One thing i'm wondering though. If you want to do the jojoba oil exfoliating do you do it before you put the BP on or after?

One thing i have noticed recently is that i got a couple really tiny little bumps under my chin. I'm assuming that they were acne. I have never gotten acne there before. My jaw gets pretty itchy after applying moisturizer and also burns the most. Hopefully all of that goes away. But yeah, anyways nothing has really changed so much. So now that i have up'd my BP i guess we will see if i break out from that or if my face looks better soon. I have been thinking about AHA, but i feel like i'd maybe rather wait until i'm clear to use. On the other hand i heard that it breaks some people out. If that were to happen to me i'd rather that happen at 5 weeks when i still have acne then for it to happen when my face is finally clear lol. Last thing, i'm thinking of posting some pictures once i hit the 1 month mark. Just to see if my face looks any different then the pictures i first posted.

MemberMember
(@jennb90)

Posted : 07/04/2013 9:38 am

Week 4 (day 28)

Before i get into how things are going. I just bought the Cerave PM moisturizer. It seems to ball up when i apply it after the BP. I read that other people are having this experience. Ahh it sucks. I feel like i've wasted money. The good thing about Cerave for me is that it actually does moisturize well. When i woke up this morning i had less flakes which was really nice. I found that if i apply it in a thin layer and try and not go over the same area it doesn't ball up so much. But i guess i'm just worried that it balling up is taking my bp off. I think i'm going to try and continue to use it and see if i can work with it. Can someone please respond to this with their opinion on Cerave PM.

Anyways on to my experience so far with the regimen. So for the past couple of weeks my skin i would say has been doing pretty well. I have really only had 2 zits at one time on my face. Which is really awesome. The one not so awesome thing is that my jaw line is pretty itchy and gets a couple tiny bumps. I'm assuming they might be acne but i'm not sure. I"m wondering if its an reaction to the bp. But if it were to be an reaction wouldn't that be happening on my face too? Anyways overall things look good. The flaking is still pretty bad though.

Well, i will update later with photos.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 07/04/2013 5:08 pm

The tiny bumps happened to me too! They have lessesned over time so i wouldn't worry too much about it. Great job on the improvement!

MemberMember
(@jennb90)

Posted : 07/05/2013 6:21 pm

Photo 1 is before i started the regimen and photo 2 is 1 month of using the regimen. Same for the others. In the 1 month photos you really only see one zit. I know there are other red spots, but those aren't active and then there is my hyper pigmentation (dark spots). I just bought some AHA so that i can try and take care of the hyper pigmentation.

post-209709-0-31953800-1373066408_thumb.

post-209709-0-15934500-1373066424_thumb.

post-209709-0-41591200-1373066445_thumb.

post-209709-0-99403100-1373066457_thumb.

post-209709-0-31953800-1373066408_thumb.

post-209709-0-15934500-1373066424_thumb.

post-209709-0-41591200-1373066445_thumb.

post-209709-0-99403100-1373066457_thumb.