Notifications
Clear all

Any Tips On How To Be Patient With Accutane?

MemberMember
(@matthewohara2706)

Posted : 05/29/2013 4:05 pm

Hi this is my first post on here and its about accutane that im going to start taking!

I'm 17 and my acne is pretty bad, if had it for about 4 years now.. its gotten worse each year! I've tried everything else, topical creams, gels, anti-biotics, face masks, natural washes and creams, over the counter medication and creams etc and nothing has worked, if anything.. its gotten worse!

My friends and family tell me its not that bad but it really gets me down, its easy for them to say as they all have flawless skin.. Anytime I walk past a mirror I look at myself with disgust.. I used to be considered quite handsome and I was always really outgoing talking to everybody in my class and stuff but now I feel ugly and I dont even like leaving the house because of my skin. I know its not as bad as i think and i know it will go away eventually but its so hard when everyone around me has nice clear skin and im just left feeling like some kind of freak. It makes it worse because at the end of the month im going on a lads holiday with my mates and all im doing is worrying about my skin and how ill be the only spotty guy there, i should be excited but instead im worried!

post-209813-0-38045000-1369861441_thumb. ---> me currently

Anyways ive been rerefferd to my dermatoligist and im planning to start accutane at the end of the month.. i know itl get worse before it gets better and i know itl take some time to get better but how do i get through that? How will i be able to make the next 6 months not seem so bad and go faster?

Thanks!

post-209813-0-38045000-1369861441_thumb.

MemberMember
(@avada-kedavra-acne)

Posted : 05/29/2013 7:58 pm

Im actually done my first week of accutane like tomorrow. I honestly felt the same way as you all high school. And i actually cried about it, and would look down whenever i passed someone. Anyways you do break out a little bit when you start, not that bad. My brother who is currently in soph in high school had the same problem as you and took accutane... and i honestly cannot believe the results his skin is like a babies bum except for some dark/ post acne marks. What will make those 6 months fly by? well i asked myself the same question. Everyday on paper write changes, and how you felt. also do things you dont think you want to do. I've wasted so much time infront of a mirror... ive looked at it so long that i feel like ive distorted the real view of myself. Dont be hard on yourself really. :)

MemberMember
(@matthewohara2706)

Posted : 05/30/2013 2:34 pm

Yeah haha thanks for the reply, It really is awful and I just cant wait to start accutane and get it over with. Sometimes I wonder if theres a god why did he create the horrible thing that is acne.. You say your brother had good results and that he just has some red marks left now, are they clearing up?

MemberMember
(@mrs-k)

Posted : 05/30/2013 6:11 pm

I'm on day 22 of Accutane, and honestly, I don't think there is much you can do about the impatience! Longest 22 days of my life... staring in the mirror every 30 minutes obsessing over my skin. Don't be disappointed when you don't see things changing right away. Most people take about 3 months I think.

That being said, my best advice would be to avoid mirrors, stop thinking about it (easier said than done, right?), and when you absolutely have to, try to imagine how good it is going to feel in less than a year when you have perfect skin. When I can't help but be Accutane-obsessed, I look on the internet for before & after photos, which usually makes me feel very optimistic. I also have a little blog here, to "vent" I guess, and keep progress.

Trust me, we all feel like complete sh*t about our skin. Just keep in mind that the start of Accutane is the beginning of the road to recovery, and if you've had acne for 4 years, 2 or 3 months is nothing :) Plus, you're only 17, which means you will get to go to college and live out the rest of your adult life acne-free!

Good luck!

MemberMember
(@avada-kedavra-acne)

Posted : 05/31/2013 11:38 am

Yes they are slowly fading. But after accutane you are not home free, he uses tazarac and aczone (butchered the spelling) one in the morning and one a night-i dont exactly know what they do, but my guess it scars. Ofcourse only the dark marks can fade from scars if there it an actually dent it really wont go away naturally unless done with cosmetic procedures. Accutane is a wonderful thing but you must take care of your skin after no matter what :) good luck!

MemberMember
(@clearskin002)

Posted : 06/01/2013 5:50 pm

Hey! Omg I know Exactly how u feel...my skin was terrible. I used to get so depressed coz of it and I tried sooo many different types of things for it with no benefit.

Finalyyy in january I was Prescribed accutane and to be honest...its probably the best decision of my entire life...my skin has cleared up tremendously and I've never felt more confident and happier. I'm currently on month 5 of my 6 month course nand trust me! Time FlieEsss! I've started getting such amazing comments from everyone about my skin that make me so happy :D lol

U won't regret taking accutane! My skin atm is really clear and flawless :D

Ohhh and about it getting worse before better...don't worry about that :) it doesn't get that bad...when it happend to me I reassured myself by telling myself that my skins gna get clear :) lol!

Motivation and self confidence is keyy!!! ;)

Well good luck with your accutane journey and I am 100% sure that ur gna get amazing results :)