Notifications
Clear all

How To Properly Clean Makeup Brushes?

MemberMember
(@bluegreeneyed)

Posted : 05/29/2013 3:59 pm

Hey all-curious as to how y'all properly dissinfect your makeup brushes to prevent breakouts (I have heard this can cause major breakouts!.yuck!) I don't wash mine often so I'm thinking this may be contributing to the problem. I have read to soak it in 99 isopropyl alcohol then ivory dish soap..got that info here: [Removed]

What are y'all's methods of cleaning your brushes?

MemberMember
(@hope27)

Posted : 05/29/2013 4:09 pm

I use dish soap .. I know it sounds weird I used to use se Sephora makeup brush shampoo and I did't think it took all of the make up off. one day I was broke and didn't want to go to Sephora and buy some more and just used dish soap . I actually saw it took off the make up better off my brushes .. and now I save some money using dish soap ..

MemberMember
(@melmel87)

Posted : 05/29/2013 4:10 pm

I've heard of using a solution of dawn dish soap and olive oil. I haven't tried this yet but am also terrible at keeping my brushes clean. Sometimes I'll just use a face wipe to quickly clean a brush. I think the ivory soap with alcohol would really damage the brushes.

MemberMember
(@katiejanezeebra)

Posted : 05/29/2013 6:05 pm

I shampoo mine once a week and then run teatree oil into them, wash them through and then dry them with my hair dryer...

MemberMember
(@kylenea)

Posted : 05/31/2013 2:56 pm

I use brush shampoo every 3 days, which can be found at Ulta or Sephora. There's also a daily brush spray that Sephora carries!

Both work well, and ensure that you're not spreading bacteria!

I would not use household cleansers, as the effects of the ingredients are unknown and possibly harsh on the skin.

In my opinion, it's best to stick with something specially formulated for the task! They're also cheap, like 10 to 15 dollars for a six-month plus supply!

MemberMember
(@boskabouter)

Posted : 06/01/2013 6:35 am

I'm training as a makeup-artist, and what we do is we clean out brushes after each use with a tissue drenched in isopropyl alcohol. Run your brush over the tissue until no more makeup comes of. This will clean and disinfect in one go.

MemberMember
(@cdnguy)

Posted : 06/06/2013 1:13 pm

How often should the regular person be cleaning their brushes?

And how do you know when the brush is ready to be thrown out? I've been using the same brushes for two years, I think. Is that disgusting?

MemberMember
(@flowergirl1234)

Posted : 06/06/2013 3:56 pm

I'm training as a makeup-artist, and what we do is we clean out brushes after each use with a tissue drenched in isopropyl alcohol. Run your brush over the tissue until no more makeup comes of. This will clean and disinfect in one go.

Oh my goodness, such good advice. I'm going to try this.

MemberMember
(@solveanceforever)

Posted : 06/06/2013 5:51 pm

a regular commerical brush cleaner is fine. if you have proof it needs more pm me

MemberMember
(@stella-the-diver)

Posted : 06/18/2013 6:11 pm

After every use, I wipe it clean with Sephora brush cleaner, and once a week, I'd wash it with Baby shampoo.

MemberMember
(@lilylily89)

Posted : 06/26/2013 8:15 pm

I clean my brushes and sponge after every use. I'm very adamant about this because I don't want to break out from a simple thing like not cleaning them. I use regular dish liquid soap and rinse the brushes thoroughly so there's no foam leftover. If you have foam leftover, you didn't wash the brush completely clean and the residue may break you out. I also dry my brushes with a paper towel after and leave them on their sides on another dry paper towel (you can use a towel but make sure to replace them every week ir so as the towel can collect dust and bacteria from the tap water) so the water doesn't go into the funnel and dissipate the glue, thus ruining my brushes.. Last thing, I also spray some rubbing alcohol on my brushes (a couple of centimeters above the brushes, not directly on the bristles!) and leave it for about 20-30 seconds before use. I don't use the same brush twice, I know I sound anal, but that's what I've been doing and it's help keep my acne at bay. Good luck!

MemberMember
(@bluegreeneyed)

Posted : 06/28/2013 11:01 am

Thanks everyone!

MemberMember
(@olly-c)

Posted : 07/25/2013 5:31 pm

What ever you wash it with, make sure it's rinsed well to remove any sulphates from the cleanser you use because any residue may come off on your face and cause breakouts

MemberMember
(@sunnysarah)

Posted : 08/01/2013 8:47 pm

I use Johnson's Head to Toe baby wash. It's very gentle and cleans the makeup off of the brush without ruining the bristles. If you use a soap that is too harsh, it will make the brushes brittle and they will fall off. Any type of baby wash mixed with water will clean off the makeup and bacteria that is on the brush, and it will keep the brush hairs soft.

MemberMember
(@tia14)

Posted : 08/09/2013 10:27 pm

To clean my make up brushes I just get a big bowl fill it with water then put the brushes in and pour some liquid soap directly on the brushes in the water and then I use my hands to rub them together until they're clean. I then put them on a towel and wait until they're dry then I use some rubbing alcohol to clean it by spaying it on them. Then I leave it to dry for about 4 minutes, and that's it!!