Notifications
Clear all

Is Gluten The Main/only Reason Why Grains Are Considered Inflammatory Food Items?

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 05/28/2013 10:21 am

is gluten the main or/and only reason why grains considered inflammatory food item in general?

if no,then what are the other possible reasons?

if yes,then how does it contribute in being inflammatory for our gut?how does it effect our gut?

also,how and why do u think they are said to make our skin oily/greasy?

thanks.

MemberMember
(@reneeawen)

Posted : 05/28/2013 2:00 pm

Both grains and gluten are difficult for the human gut to digest, and the gut has been linked to acne in several studies. Yes they are inflammatory, whether or not your intolerant. Humans weren't "built" to consume processed food groups, such as today's breads, pastas, bakeries, crackers, snacks, chips, etc... and doing so in large quantities is for sure one of the major causes of obesity. Doing so seldom probably wont do anything, but it's still not recommended for anyone. Bread is basically sugar because it turns to sugar after you eat it... I'm guessing 5 to 10 minutes after consumption, and sugar gets stored as fat. Insulin levels rise afterwards, which in turn causes inflammation which in turn may cause acne in acne prone individuals. Bread is not only sugar in your body, it's also high on the Glycemic Index scale (I don't think the glycemic load is an issue, but you can still gain weight of you eat it every day). Don't go for gluten free bread since it's more unhealthy and may actually be worse for people with gut issues.

Having bread every day might not be good for acne sufferers, but if you're on a budget at you do not notice a reaction to bread (such as wheat), try limiting yourself to it one or two times a week. I left it out for almost 6 months before introducing it little by little again, and thankfully didn't notice much of a change. I still eat it about once a week. It's difficult to substitute on a college budget for something else, plus it's more convenient and light to carry around. Maybe when I'm finally done studying I can adjust my permanent lifestyle and focus more on that.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 05/29/2013 7:41 am

when we see grain,we usually attack the ones with gluten.

but oats and rice too are grains.

are they inflammatory as well?

i've heard that in olden days people(at least larger parts of southeast asia) would only have rice with lentils as staple.

may be that is one reason its less harmful.

but then what abt oats?

basmati or white rice?they are refined,right?just like white bread?

(p.s i never knew well.i always considered white rice unrefined.but recently saw it under 'list of refined grain product' on a health site.crazy.gif )

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 05/29/2013 10:07 am

No. They are also high in pro-inflammatory omega 6 EFAs that most people get too much of because they eat too much grain, grain oils and products from grain fed animals. And they have other anti-nutrients. Just about all seeds do.

Just about all seeds are at least moderately inflammatory.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 05/29/2013 1:32 pm

No. They are also high in pro-inflammatory omega 6 EFAs that most people get too much of because they eat too much grain, grain oils and products from grain fed animals. And they have other anti-nutrients. Just about all seeds do.

why do people emphasize a lot on wheat(whole or refined) and go for oats or rice(which is refines,huh?) ??

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 05/29/2013 3:48 pm

why do people emphasize a lot on wheat(whole or refined) and go for oats or rice(which is refines,huh?) ??

Because of the gluten in wheat and also rye and barley.