Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Should I Do With These Scars? (Pics Included)

My skin has ruined my life and i'm in a point where I don't really leave my house anymore. I just wan't these scars gone but they're not going anywhere soon.. I've been off of accutane for almost 5 months now, I was only on it for 2 months anyway. The scars seem indented but when i touch my face feels smooth(so I think they're pretty shallow?) There's still a lot of redness and hyperpigmentation too. My derm said they'd fade in a few months but i don't see much improvement.. Will these ever go away? What treatment should I do to improve them? And is it too soon to start doing something about them in the 6 month mark (for me that would be in 6 weeks)?

Sorry for poor photos I only have my phone's camera to use, it's very forgiving though. All of these are taken in daylight.

post-189112-0-13732400-1369654323_thumb.

post-189112-0-68750100-1369654325_thumb.

post-189112-0-68990100-1369654549_thumb.

post-189112-0-61898800-1369654596_thumb.

post-189112-0-75642900-1369654637_thumb.

post-189112-0-41784100-1369654678_thumb.

post-189112-0-13732400-1369654323_thumb.

post-189112-0-68750100-1369654325_thumb.

post-189112-0-68990100-1369654549_thumb.

post-189112-0-61898800-1369654596_thumb.

post-189112-0-75642900-1369654637_thumb.

post-189112-0-41784100-1369654678_thumb.

I know your going to hate this, but I think your scars are very mild, and you skin looks really good. Your skin will heal in due time, i have said many times before don't try and rush the natural healing process, otherwise you will do more damage to your skin. There are laser treatments out there that could help with your skin tone also if you want to go down that road. I know it can be very frustrating, but your skin is acne free which is great. Try not to let this get to you, you can be stronger than that, chin up :)

Honestly, IMHO this is very mild...don't use any aggressive treatments...otherwise you could damage your skin further...accutane is a harsh treatment and your body/ health need to heal and rebuild itself... your skin will heal too with good nutrition & exercise...give yourself a year to allow the scars and collagen to naturally heal and form over time...I know it sounds like a long time, but you need to be patient. Stay away from BP, peels and other chemical acne products and harsh washes. Also, once again, you might like to try beta glucan liquid from New Directions as a topical. And maybe tea tree oil to help keep the acne at bay if it flares again. Otherwise, just eat lots of healthy foods & salad, stay away from junk food/ junk drinks/ GMO foods etc and try drinking daily fresh juices with a scoop of super green powder (chlorella/ spirulina/ barley grass/ wheat grass). Gentle daily massages with beta glucan for 30 minutes is good too - try it for a few weeks - but first ask your doctor if this is okay...your skin might be very fragile because of the accutane and so overly dry/ sensitive.

Also, do gentle daily exercise. This should help stimulate growth and renewal of collagen. If you still have indentations after a year, consider gentle skin needling with a .25mm roller or smaller from www.clearskincare.com.au along with beta glucan. But I don't think you should try it just yet. Your body needs ample time to seriously detox from the accutane and skin needling might be too much for your system to handle just yet.

In the interim, buy a quality green blemish coverage stick from Shishedo or another quality brand to help cover your redness/ scars and then apply a good nourishing foundation. Quirky Fox advises a good primer too. You could also try a reputable scar treatment like Dermefface FX7 or DNA Scar Treatment (I haven't tried them yet, but they look okay...please research them and talk to your doctor about them before buying though).

Lastly, you could test rosehip oil etc on a small patch of skin and see if your body responds well to it...however, oil can flare acne, so best to stick with beta glucan liquid unless you're absolutely sure a natural oil won't trigger your acne.

But whatever you decide to do, please keep it natural, gentle, healing and healthy. And be kind & loving to yourself...your skin will heal, just give it time, nourishment & nurturing smile.png

Edited by aquasea

Honestly, IMHO this is very mild...don't use any aggressive treatments...otherwise you could damage your skin further...accutane is a harsh treatment and your body/ health need to heal and rebuild itself... your skin will heal too with good nutrition & exercise...give yourself a year to allow the scars and collagen to naturally heal and form over time...I know it sounds like a long time, but you need to be patient. Stay away from BP, peels and other chemical acne products and harsh washes. Also, once again, you might like to try beta glucan liquid from New Directions as a topical. And maybe tea tree oil to help keep the acne at bay if it flares again. Otherwise, just eat lots of healthy foods & salad, stay away from junk food/ junk drinks/ GMO foods etc and try drinking daily fresh juices with a scoop of super green powder (chlorella/ spirulina/ barley grass/ wheat grass). Gentle daily massages with beta glucan for 30 minutes is good too - try it for a few weeks - but first ask your doctor if this is okay...your skin might be very fragile because of the accutane and so overly dry/ sensitive.

Also, do gentle daily exercise. This should help stimulate growth and renewal of collagen. If you still have indentations after a year, consider gentle skin needling with a .25mm roller or smaller from www.clearskincare.com.au along with beta glucan. But I don't think you should try it just yet. Your body needs ample time to seriously detox from the accutane and skin needling might be too much for your system to handle just yet.

In the interim, buy a quality green blemish coverage stick from Shishedo or another quality brand to help cover your redness/ scars and then apply a good nourishing foundation. Quirky Fox advises a good primer too. You could also try a reputable scar treatment like Dermefface FX7 or DNA Scar Treatment (I haven't tried them yet, but they look okay...please research them and talk to your doctor about them before buying though).

Lastly, you could test rosehip oil etc on a small patch of skin and see if your body responds well to it...however, oil can flare acne, so best to stick with beta glucan liquid unless you're absolutely sure a natural oil won't trigger your acne.

But whatever you decide to do, please keep it natural, gentle, healing and healthy. And be kind & loving to yourself...your skin will heal, just give it time, nourishment & nurturing smile.png

Thank you. My skin looks a lot worse IRL .. I already eat really healthy and clean and exercise and hour a day 5-6 times a week. I used to have flawless skin and ate a lot of junk and sugar so I really don't know if the diet thing is doing much but I'm doing all I can. So you think dermarolling is a bad idea for now? I've been thinking of starting it in a few months but definitely don't want to make things worse!

I have really good concealer that gets rid of the redness but the indents show through no matter what;/

I'm currently using snail cream as a moisturizer it's supposed to help but I haven't noticed a difference yet..

I know your going to hate this, but I think your scars are very mild, and you skin looks really good. Your skin will heal in due time, i have said many times before don't try and rush the natural healing process, otherwise you will do more damage to your skin. There are laser treatments out there that could help with your skin tone also if you want to go down that road. I know it can be very frustrating, but your skin is acne free which is great. Try not to let this get to you, you can be stronger than that, chin up smile.png

Thanks for the reply ! As i said before it is a lot worse in real life.. I never used to have acne in my life just had this one MAJOR brake out that lasted for months.. So this is all really new to me and it's really upsetting.. I still have some bumps on my skin but not those huge inflamed pimples that left the scars..

Edited by Guest

All I can say is healing takes times....please stay away from dairy and don't eat any junk food, processed foods, microwave foods, fried foods, gluten, processed sugar, corn syrup, sodas, GMO food, coffees, teas etc...just drink spring water/ fresh juices & eat mainly raw, organic, vegan, superfoods, wholefoods. MAKE EVERY MOUTHFUL NUTRITIOUS...really, you just need to give it time, it takes 2-3 months for collagen to reform and skin renews every 4 weeks. I think you should go the natural path and wait at least 12 months , go super healthy, massage your skin for 1/2 hour nightly with beta glucan liquid from New Directions (possibly rosehip oil, but ask your doctor about rosehip oil first)...I really don't think you are a candidate for skin needling...at least for not another year or 2. You could damage your overall complexion...just be patient...the body will heal itself if you give it time and feed it nutritiously and use nourishing, natural topicals. If you have another breakout, try tea tree oil instead or lavender oil and eat super well. Btw, IMHO, I don't think your doctor should of prescribed accutane for you. You just needed a super healthy diet/ detox. Skin health is an overall reflection of your inner health, especially your intestinal health. You need to ensure you maintain emotional & physical wellness and also ensure your bedroom/ home/ bedding is hygienic too. Use natural, safe cleaning products.

Just be patient, there are no quick fixes to healing acne/ scarring...your body needs ample time to heal itself, give it the super nutrition and gentle, natural, nourishing care it needs to heal itself. Cheers smile.png

Edited by aquasea

Your skin looks great if you ask me. However, I can understand how we are our own worst critic. The picture 4 scars look similar to mine. If they don't bother you, live with them as I am sure you still look beautiful regardless of a few very minor "scars".

If however, they truly do bother you, The only real solution to the indented scars is fractionated CO2 lasers. If you have mostly smooth skin, you can opt for a DeepFX on JUST the scars themselves to improve the indented areas while eliminating risk from the smooth areas.

Sounds weird but your scars are better than mine and i am using anti-wrinkle cream! working wonders for me! i also use bio oil to fade red marks and use SPF 15 every day to make sure they don't get worse xx

Your skin looks great if you ask me. However, I can understand how we are our own worst critic. The picture 4 scars look similar to mine. If they don't bother you, live with them as I am sure you still look beautiful regardless of a few very minor "scars".

If however, they truly do bother you, The only real solution to the indented scars is fractionated CO2 lasers. If you have mostly smooth skin, you can opt for a DeepFX on JUST the scars themselves to improve the indented areas while eliminating risk from the smooth areas.

Definitely do bother me a lot, I think the pictures are such a poor quality they don't really "do justice" to the scars.

Okay thanks, I don't know if I'll ever have enough money for laser of if I can find a doc that does that kind of a treatment where I live. But I guess I couldn't do it for a while anyway because of the accutane ..

Sounds weird but your scars are better than mine and i am using anti-wrinkle cream! working wonders for me! i also use bio oil to fade red marks and use SPF 15 every day to make sure they don't get worse xx

I'm using a cream meant for scars and pigmentation but it's only helping with the redness and not too much with that either. But glad to hear it's working for you : ) I guess there's nothing to do but wait.. It's really frustrating :: (

Sure! I'm using baba de caracol's regenerating snail cream, it's supposed to help with scars and fine lines but as I said before I haven't noticed any difference. It does make my skin really soft though..

After you've been off Accutane for one year you could start doing lunchtime peels like lactic acid, glycolic acid and salicylic acid.

You barely have any scarring on your cheeks. I see hyperpigmentation more than anything. If you wear makeup no one is going to notice.

I think something like tca cross by a good doc may help your type of scars.

TCA cross is for ice pick scarring. The OP has very light scarring. Very shallow scarring will not benefit from TCA cross. If she were to have any deep chemical peel done it would be a TCA peel(obagi blue peel has TCA in it) or phenol chemical peel.

I recommend starting with lower strength peels before you work your way up.

I've to say I hardly saw any scars. You need closer up pictures.

Particulary your 6th photo looks like you've flawless skin.

Edited by Lawrence111

After you've been off Accutane for one year you could start doing lunchtime peels like lactic acid, glycolic acid and salicylic acid.

You barely have any scarring on your cheeks. I see hyperpigmentation more than anything. If you wear makeup no one is going to notice.

Okay thanks! I'm too scared to do any harsh treatments on my own but I'll look into that!

I know it looks that way in the pictures but in real life, when the light hits my face it's just terrible.. and the red spots are lightly indented, no make up covers that ::<

Okay thanks! I'm too scared to do any harsh treatments on my own but I'll look into that!

I know it looks that way in the pictures but in real life, when the light hits my face it's just terrible.. and the red spots are lightly indented, no make up covers that ::<

Those peels sound harsh but really aren't that bad. I really think they can work for you. They're considered "lunch time peels" for a reason. You can get them during you lunch break and go back to work fine without looking like you had any work done.

Do some research on them. They're are lots of you tube videos of people doing mild peels as well.