Moisturize Or Not? ...

Notifications
Clear all

Moisturize Or Not? I Dont Know What To Believe...

MemberMember
(@oilygirl1980)

Posted : 05/24/2013 5:04 am

Ok guys, i need help with this. Do i moisturize or not? Oily/sensitive/combo/acne prone skin. Ive read so many old posts, but i want to hear some more recent answers since things are ever changing for all of us.

Do creams and lotions make you produce more oil or not? Is it really a myth that skin can over compensate when not moisturized?

Can anyone tell me the benefits or warnings of not moisturizing before i try this?

For us oily people, is the skin tightness really that bad for our skin or is it better for us?

Thanks for any and all help.

MemberMember
(@omnivium)

Posted : 05/25/2013 4:22 am

I believe that skin overcompensating for dry skin is a myth. The sebaceous glands are triggered to produce sebum when androgens bind to sebaceous gland receptors. Normal face washes and moisturizers will not have any effect on this process, so they will not alter the amount of oil produced.

I have a theory that washing a lot makes one appear more oily because washing removes some skin cells, leaving less skin to cover up or absorb the oil.

I would only moisturize if your skin is dry. Skin can be oily and dry at the same time, especially if you are using topicals.

MemberMember
(@abduliii)

Posted : 05/25/2013 1:14 pm

if your skin is already oily, it doesnt make sense to me as to why you would want to mosturize further, your just making your face look a mess. Trust me, ive had and i still have oily skin, and sensitive skin, and just putting on a mosturizer is not doing you any good, just make sure youre not overwashing your face, this is going to really irritate your acne and cause further oiliness and acne.

MemberMember
(@oilygirl1980)

Posted : 05/26/2013 3:16 am

Omnivium- thank you. I wash twice a day with a cream cleanser that has a ph of 2.5. Its very gentle and works well with my extremely sensitive skin, but even with this cleanser, i wouldnt dare wash more than that. I have no reason to anyway. I dont wear much make up.

I suppose i can give it a shot, though im worried about not using a sunscreen. The day moisturizer i have has sunscreen and vitamin c in it, but its surprisingly very light. Sunscreen has proven to be something i am extremely grateful for at my age. If i can go a few days without moisturizing, and not break out, dry out, or have a ton of oil, it will be worth trying it.

Yesterday and todays oil production was non-existent actually. I used a glycolic night cream two nights ago for the first time because i recently had a massive breakout that left scars and marks. (If you see any of my other posts, i was trying to go synthetic/chemical free. What a nightmare-im back to my old products and as expected, my skin and tone is healing nicely) The glycolic cream was a little drying, but im impressed with its effects. Ill have to see if that lasts i guess.

I think i agree with your theory of overwashing making the skin "appear" oilier. It makes a lot of sense actually.

At any rate, i will attempt going lotion free, and hope that nothing goes haywire. I really wish i had only one negative aspect of skin, not four things that all seem to fight with each other making it impossible to completely cure.

MemberMember
(@bluegreeneyed)

Posted : 05/26/2013 4:04 pm

Omnivium- thank you. I wash twice a day with a cream cleanser that has a ph of 2.5. Its very gentle and works well with my extremely sensitive skin, but even with this cleanser, i wouldnt dare wash more than that. I have no reason to anyway. I dont wear much make up.

I suppose i can give it a shot, though im worried about not using a sunscreen. The day moisturizer i have has sunscreen and vitamin c in it, but its surprisingly very light. Sunscreen has proven to be something i am extremely grateful for at my age. If i can go a few days without moisturizing, and not break out, dry out, or have a ton of oil, it will be worth trying it.

Yesterday and todays oil production was non-existent actually. I used a glycolic night cream two nights ago for the first time because i recently had a massive breakout that left scars and marks. (If you see any of my other posts, i was trying to go synthetic/chemical free. What a nightmare-im back to my old products and as expected, my skin and tone is healing nicely) The glycolic cream was a little drying, but im impressed with its effects. Ill have to see if that lasts i guess.

I think i agree with your theory of overwashing making the skin "appear" oilier. It makes a lot of sense actually.

At any rate, i will attempt going lotion free, and hope that nothing goes haywire. I really wish i had only one negative aspect of skin, not four things that all seem to fight with each other making it impossible to completely cure.

What cre cleanser do you use to wash your face? I have sensitive skin also!

MemberMember
(@oilygirl1980)

Posted : 05/26/2013 7:12 pm

Hi Bluegreeneyed!

It's Neutrogena Deep Clean Cream Cleanser. I've tried everything else but this remains to be the best cleanser for me.

What's your skin type like besides sensitive?

If it's anything like mine, I'd be more than happy to share my entire face routine.

MemberMember
(@bluegreeneyed)

Posted : 05/26/2013 10:15 pm

Hi Bluegreeneyed!

It's Neutrogena Deep Clean Cream Cleanser. I've tried everything else but this remains to be the best cleanser for me.

What's your skin type like besides sensitive?

If it's anything like mine, I'd be more than happy to share my entire face routine.

Mine is oily like yours also! It's such a pain! I can never find anything that works. I tried a clay mud mask that everyone raves about but i only ended up with more spots-_- my skin gets super greasy right after I apply makeup also so I'm constantly having to blot all through the day.i will give that cleanser a try! Right now I'm using cetaphil. What is your routine?

MemberMember
(@oilygirl1980)

Posted : 05/26/2013 11:11 pm

Yes it is a pain! After a few hours, I look like I dumped olive oil on my face. So I blot and blot. My face routine keeps my acne away and doesn't give me any dryness or irritation. I'm still looking for something to combat the oil, and I have some suggestions. I'll list those after.

Here's what I do, in this order, and it's worked wonders for me for a very long time. Note-I use hot water. Warm or cold seems to give me trouble. I don't know the science behind it and I don't care :) It's what works for me.

Morning: Neutrogena deep clean cream cleanser. Gently massage it in well and for as long as I want. I do this in the shower and it's the last step before I get out.

Neutrogena alcohol free toner in the blue bottle. Gently swipe up on my face with a cotton round.

Neutrogena ageless intensives tone correcting moisturizer with spf 30. Gives my face a glow and is very light. Just a drop works on my whole face.

Neutrogena benzoyl peroxide. Not tinted. Very thin layer.

Then i brush my teeth or something to let that all soak in and dry before I apply make up. I only wear blush, mascara, and a little concealer on my spider veins or old acne marks that are lingering. I cannot wear foundation or powders because they give me blackheads and when my skin gets oily, it looks terrible. I know I should probably be wearing something that completely evens out tone and covers age spots, but I'd rather deal with just oily skin, than having oily skin on top of face powder. It's gross and when I blot, most of it comes off anyway no matter how lightly I press.

Night: Rinse my face until most of my mascara (not waterproof) and blush is off with hot water. Then same cleanser and I massage it in very well to remove all oil and makeup. I do not use make up remover. The cleanser is enough.

Same toner

Nature's bounty vitamin e cream.

Same bp.

And at night, I use pure vitamin e oil on where crows feet would be if I had them. I don't and I think it's because I've been doing this for about 10 years.

A few nights a week, I squeeze lemon juice from an actual lemon and put that on after cleansing. I let it dry and then continue on with the toner and everything else. This eats away dead skin and lightens up marks. It's not drying, it doesn't hurt. It's just a good exfoliator for me.

Once every week and a half, I use the clay mask you're probably talking about. The aztec secret indian healing clay. For me, using water instead of apple cider vinegar is better. And I use a very thin layer. It works very well for me and I can feel it sucking crap out of my pores. I don't overuse this mask though. That would probably give me some problems.

During my little experiment to go green with face care, I found some things that help me out with oil. Lemon essential oil worked great. I put a drop in my moisturizer and I didn't have to blot the whole day. I found that I had some bumps and I thought it was that but now I'm not sure. I will try this again and maybe dilute it a little more because it's very strong. It's best to use a sunscreen moisturizer with this.

Also, aubrey organics aloe vera juice worked well. Not as well as the lemon oil but decent enough. I applied this after everything with a cotton round. It's watery and I didn't swipe it on. Just dabbed at my oiliest spots.

The third thing is the reviva glycolic acid cream. I used a very thin layer 3 nights ago under my vitamin e cream and wow. No oil for two days. A little drying but apparently there is an adjustment period. I will have to figure out how often I can use this. I was impressed though.

SO! That's my whole thing. I'm very disciplined about it and I never don't do it. If I sleep with make up or the days oil still on, I wake up with whiteheads and bumps.

I know this post was originally about going moisturizer free, and I'm still going to try it, but sunscreen is soooo important. I'm 33 and I have no sun damage, no wrinkles, and no crows feet. My best advice to girls in their 20s is to wear spf everyday, including winter. They have no idea how much they will appreciate it when they get older. Being tan when you're young is not more important than how you'll feel about your skin in your 30s or 40s. I watched my aunt and mom regret their tanning days so much. It was heartbreaking and I vowed at an early age to not let that happen to me.

If you give this routine a shot, I really hope it works for you.

Also, Cetaphil never worked for me. I tried both kinds and I broke out. I can't pinpoint the ingredient that aggravates my skin though. It's so hard because we all have such different skin.

One more thing, I use very good make up. I think this is key. Studio Gear.

What kind of make up do you use?

(@LewisS)

Posted : 05/27/2013 2:25 am

Moisturise if you feel the need to do so. I moisturise because I like the feeling after taking a shower/washing my face. Cleansers tend to dry me out, so I like to get something on there real quick.

Moisturising isn't needed, our bodies are more than capable of controlling their own moisture and hydration. It just depends whether you want softer more evenly toned skin, which moisturisers often do.

MemberMember
(@bluegreeneyed)

Posted : 05/27/2013 3:02 pm

Yes it is a pain! After a few hours, I look like I dumped olive oil on my face. So I blot and blot. My face routine keeps my acne away and doesn't give me any dryness or irritation. I'm still looking for something to combat the oil, and I have some suggestions. I'll list those after.

Here's what I do, in this order, and it's worked wonders for me for a very long time. Note-I use hot water. Warm or cold seems to give me trouble. I don't know the science behind it and I don't care :) It's what works for me.

Morning: Neutrogena deep clean cream cleanser. Gently massage it in well and for as long as I want. I do this in the shower and it's the last step before I get out.

Neutrogena alcohol free toner in the blue bottle. Gently swipe up on my face with a cotton round.

Neutrogena ageless intensives tone correcting moisturizer with spf 30. Gives my face a glow and is very light. Just a drop works on my whole face.

Neutrogena benzoyl peroxide. Not tinted. Very thin layer.

Then i brush my teeth or something to let that all soak in and dry before I apply make up. I only wear blush, mascara, and a little concealer on my spider veins or old acne marks that are lingering. I cannot wear foundation or powders because they give me blackheads and when my skin gets oily, it looks terrible. I know I should probably be wearing something that completely evens out tone and covers age spots, but I'd rather deal with just oily skin, than having oily skin on top of face powder. It's gross and when I blot, most of it comes off anyway no matter how lightly I press.

Night: Rinse my face until most of my mascara (not waterproof) and blush is off with hot water. Then same cleanser and I massage it in very well to remove all oil and makeup. I do not use make up remover. The cleanser is enough.

Same toner

Nature's bounty vitamin e cream.

Same bp.

And at night, I use pure vitamin e oil on where crows feet would be if I had them. I don't and I think it's because I've been doing this for about 10 years.

A few nights a week, I squeeze lemon juice from an actual lemon and put that on after cleansing. I let it dry and then continue on with the toner and everything else. This eats away dead skin and lightens up marks. It's not drying, it doesn't hurt. It's just a good exfoliator for me.

Once every week and a half, I use the clay mask you're probably talking about. The aztec secret indian healing clay. For me, using water instead of apple cider vinegar is better. And I use a very thin layer. It works very well for me and I can feel it sucking crap out of my pores. I don't overuse this mask though. That would probably give me some problems.

During my little experiment to go green with face care, I found some things that help me out with oil. Lemon essential oil worked great. I put a drop in my moisturizer and I didn't have to blot the whole day. I found that I had some bumps and I thought it was that but now I'm not sure. I will try this again and maybe dilute it a little more because it's very strong. It's best to use a sunscreen moisturizer with this.

Also, aubrey organics aloe vera juice worked well. Not as well as the lemon oil but decent enough. I applied this after everything with a cotton round. It's watery and I didn't swipe it on. Just dabbed at my oiliest spots.

The third thing is the reviva glycolic acid cream. I used a very thin layer 3 nights ago under my vitamin e cream and wow. No oil for two days. A little drying but apparently there is an adjustment period. I will have to figure out how often I can use this. I was impressed though.

SO! That's my whole thing. I'm very disciplined about it and I never don't do it. If I sleep with make up or the days oil still on, I wake up with whiteheads and bumps.

I know this post was originally about going moisturizer free, and I'm still going to try it, but sunscreen is soooo important. I'm 33 and I have no sun damage, no wrinkles, and no crows feet. My best advice to girls in their 20s is to wear spf everyday, including winter. They have no idea how much they will appreciate it when they get older. Being tan when you're young is not more important than how you'll feel about your skin in your 30s or 40s. I watched my aunt and mom regret their tanning days so much. It was heartbreaking and I vowed at an early age to not let that happen to me.

If you give this routine a shot, I really hope it works for you.

Also, Cetaphil never worked for me. I tried both kinds and I broke out. I can't pinpoint the ingredient that aggravates my skin though. It's so hard because we all have such different skin.

One more thing, I use very good make up. I think this is key. Studio Gear.

What kind of make up do you use?

Wow that was really detailed. Thanks girl! :) yes I use cetaphil SPF 15 on my face everday. I apply it underneath my eyes plus all over my face. I really want to get a specific SPF for under my eyes though with higher SPF. I don't see a need for anything higher than SPF 15 for my skin because I have a darker olive skin tone for a Caucasian person, I burn very little. Thank you very much for all the tips and tricks though I will have to try some of them out for myself.

The makeup I use is all natural mineral makeup from Lurebeauty.com. I have come to find by trying all different types of makeup out that that is what works best for my breakout prone skin while still allowing it to breathe.

I see you said you put vitamin E under your eyes at night. I apply JoJoba oil but it doesn't sink into my skin and it just sits there & makes my skin feel oily-_- so I don't think this is working for me. How is vitamin e? Does it sink into the skin or does it just sit on top? I know everyone's skin type is different but I'm just curious!

MemberMember
(@oilygirl1980)

Posted : 05/27/2013 7:36 pm

LewisS- Agreed. I think i prefer the feeling as well. My natural oil doesn't start pouring out until a couple hours later and honestly, even oily skin doesn't feel the same as skin with moisturizer on it. But you're right, the rest of my skin keeps itself very hydrated. Except for my hands in the winter. Probably because I'm wearing gloves or whatever. :)

Bluegreeneyed- Yes! I'm a very detailed person. :) After watching the video about the regimen, I realize I'm not alone with how specific I am. Application and order are very important to me. I checked out Lurebeauty, and it seems like a good company with quality ingredients. I think that is very important for oily skin. If I ever switch from my make up (if they ever change the formulation or anything) I'll give your kind a shot.

As for the vitamin e- I don't put it under my entire eye. Basically just around the sides, under maybe half of my eye, and also about 1/4 on top of my eye. I tried Jojoba oil as a moisturizer for a while and I believe I may be allergic. It sank into my skin pretty well but I had to stop using it. Though, maybe my skin is more porous than yours since I think I read that you're 23. I'm 33 so maybe that's why it absorbed well for me? Who knows. :) I wouldn't use the vitamin E oil on any other part of my face since it's extremely thick. I feel like it's best just for the thin skin around our eyes. Also, I make sure to get 100% pure vitamin e. It's tricky to read the labels as some are synthetic and others have a bunch of other oils in there.

The spf you're using I think is good for your skin tone. Honestly, I think any spf over 5 is enough for anyone. Mine has a high spf, but that's not why I use it. I like the glow it gives but it's a bonus that the spf is 30 for my very fair swedish skin! Like I said, using any spf will really be good for you in the long run.

Let me know if you have some luck with the cleanser, I definitely think it's worth a shot for you and you'll like the feeling of it. very refreshing.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 05/27/2013 10:15 pm

Anyone that has had success with using a moisturizer on oily skin, please chime in.

A moisturizer for me makes me skin greasy as hell after I use it, but then after I shower that same night my skin feels fantastic. I'm not sure what to think about it quite frankly. I can't tell if using a moisturizer long term would get rid of that initial greasy look/feel.

MemberMember
(@bluegreeneyed)

Posted : 05/28/2013 1:42 am

LewisS- Agreed. I think i prefer the feeling as well. My natural oil doesn't start pouring out until a couple hours later and honestly, even oily skin doesn't feel the same as skin with moisturizer on it. But you're right, the rest of my skin keeps itself very hydrated. Except for my hands in the winter. Probably because I'm wearing gloves or whatever. :)

Bluegreeneyed- Yes! I'm a very detailed person. :) After watching the video about the regimen, I realize I'm not alone with how specific I am. Application and order are very important to me. I checked out Lurebeauty, and it seems like a good company with quality ingredients. I think that is very important for oily skin. If I ever switch from my make up (if they ever change the formulation or anything) I'll give your kind a shot.

As for the vitamin e- I don't put it under my entire eye. Basically just around the sides, under maybe half of my eye, and also about 1/4 on top of my eye. I tried Jojoba oil as a moisturizer for a while and I believe I may be allergic. It sank into my skin pretty well but I had to stop using it. Though, maybe my skin is more porous than yours since I think I read that you're 23. I'm 33 so maybe that's why it absorbed well for me? Who knows. :) I wouldn't use the vitamin E oil on any other part of my face since it's extremely thick. I feel like it's best just for the thin skin around our eyes. Also, I make sure to get 100% pure vitamin e. It's tricky to read the labels as some are synthetic and others have a bunch of other oils in there.

The spf you're using I think is good for your skin tone. Honestly, I think any spf over 5 is enough for anyone. Mine has a high spf, but that's not why I use it. I like the glow it gives but it's a bonus that the spf is 30 for my very fair swedish skin! Like I said, using any spf will really be good for you in the long run.

Let me know if you have some luck with the cleanser, I definitely think it's worth a shot for you and you'll like the feeling of it. very refreshing.

You should! I love that they have a big color selection also so if you have an uncommon hard to match skin tone they most likely have it.

I may give the vitamin. E a try though even though you say it's thick..it won't hurt ! I have no idea why it doesn't sink into my skin very well either 0-0 I look like I'm sweating under my eye at the moment lol! Mabye it's because what you said. If you don't mind me asking where do you purchase your vitamin e oil? What brand? (Sorry for all the questions!:)

Anyone that has had success with using a moisturizer on oily skin, please chime in.

A moisturizer for me makes me skin greasy as hell after I use it, but then after I shower that same night my skin feels fantastic. I'm not sure what to think about it quite frankly. I can't tell if using a moisturizer long term would get rid of that initial greasy look/feel.

Yeah same for me, my skin looks greasy. But I feel like if I don't use moisturizer my skin feels tight and kinda dry (but not to the point where it's flaking) I have used this same moisturizer for a while now so I don't think it makes a difference with prolonged use

MemberMember
(@michi31)

Posted : 05/28/2013 10:30 am

I have oily skin and use moisturizer. The reason I do this i because although my skin is extremely oily around my chin, this is also the area where it is flaky. Why is my skin oily and always flaky at the same time? I am not using any harsh products - only the moisturizer and cerave moisturizing cleanser. I can not figure this out for the life of me...

MemberMember
(@oilygirl1980)

Posted : 05/28/2013 6:55 pm

Bluegreeneyed- Ask as many as you like! I stalk the veteran members for their advice because it's been helpful. Even if something ended up not working for me, I feel like I'm so much more informed and it's still awesome to be able to rule something out or try it again later with a different combo of products.

The vitamin E oil i used for years was Colonial Dames. Comes in a small jar, It was about $12 and it lasted almost 3 years. I couldn't find that brand at ulta anymore so I got some from CVS. Same thickness and same results. I unfortunately found that Nature's bounty oil was synthetic. That's when I learned about the label. The Vitamin Shoppe also has several kinds of e oil. I just stick to the ones that have ONLY e oil, not soybean or corn or whatever else. If you have a health food store, start there. The skin care section totally surprised me. But amazon has all this as well.

Natural = d alpha-tocopherol

Synthetic = dl alpha-tocopheryl

Michi31- We are in the same boat. I'm beginning to think that all of us here have oily/combo skin and that's why we feel better about moisturizing.

When I flake (which I really don't as long as I follow my strict routine) the skin I can peel off is soaked with oil. Weirdest thing. Maybe external factors are involved?

Maybe Cbiot13 and Omnivium can comment on weather or other related factors since they are the good science guys here.

All i know for sure is that cleansers that suds up are very bad for me. I've tried them all. Olay, Loreal, the fancy brands at ulta and the drugstore and probably a dozen others, all failed and I ended up with big problems. My cream cleanser still stands at first place.

I tried the lemon essential oil again today now that my skin is back to normal since my disastrous attempt to go natural. I want to see if I have the same reaction now that I'm back to my old line of products. Make up went on 5 hours ago, and I have yet to blot so this is very good. We'll see how it goes over the next few days.

MemberMember
(@oilydave94)

Posted : 05/28/2013 8:02 pm

Ok guys, i need help with this. Do i moisturize or not? Oily/sensitive/combo/acne prone skin. Ive read so many old posts, but i want to hear some more recent answers since things are ever changing for all of us.

Do creams and lotions make you produce more oil or not? Is it really a myth that skin can over compensate when not moisturized?

Can anyone tell me the benefits or warnings of not moisturizing before i try this?

For us oily people, is the skin tightness really that bad for our skin or is it better for us?

Thanks for any and all help.

After moisturizing, wait a few minutes, splash a little cold water and then pat dry your face gently, that way I get to moisturize without the shiny residue.

MemberMember
(@oilygirl1980)

Posted : 05/28/2013 9:00 pm

Hi Dave6677, I use bp after my moisturizer. Should i do that before or after bp? I'm thinking before right?

MemberMember
(@berserkaf)

Posted : 05/28/2013 9:07 pm

I have really oily skin too and after I was my face I hate how tight my skin feels and it's just so uncomfortable so yes, I do moisturise but I only put a thin layer on moisturiser on

When I was my face gets really dry then oily and if I don't moisturise my makeup looks awful

MemberMember
(@oilygirl1980)

Posted : 05/28/2013 9:38 pm

berseraf- what's your oil production like through out the day?

MemberMember
(@oilydave94)

Posted : 05/28/2013 11:36 pm

Hi Dave6677, I use bp after my moisturizer. Should i do that before or after bp? I'm thinking before right?

Some like to moisturize before and some after, it's a personal preference, but if you're gonna use the water method, then I would apply bp last.

MemberMember
(@oilygirl1980)

Posted : 05/29/2013 12:32 am

Ok cool. Thanks for the tip!

MemberMember
(@jofo)

Posted : 05/29/2013 5:46 pm

People, if your skin is dry or dehydrated then moisturize it. As has already been said, sebum is not your body's natural moisturizer so the fact that you have oily skin doesn't make you exempt from moisturizing. Just try to find a light moisturizer if you're worried about added shine. I use CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion and it doesn't appear to make my skin look anymore greasy than usual.

MemberMember
(@oilygirl1980)

Posted : 05/29/2013 6:59 pm

Jofo-settin' it straight.... :)

Ps, on day two now of the lemon oil- another day where I haven't had to blot yet and I have no bumps or redness or flakes. Maybe when I tried it before, it was just a bad combo with something else. Hopefully this keeps up.

MemberMember
(@charlie498)

Posted : 06/08/2013 8:19 am

Hi, So I've just discovered a product that really works for me, and I know how rubbish it is having bad skin so would like to share. I'm in my mid-30's and have had acne all my life. Loads of different treatments and nothing has really worked ...
But now I'm using Aesop - it's an Australian brand. Am using the oil free serum as a moisturiser, and the Parsley Oil as a cleanser. You'd think using oil as a cleanser is odd right, but it stops my skin from drying out. The serum is amazing too. My skin has been better than it's been in years. Still a few minor spots but nothing major in over 3 weeks!
I've tried so many things natural and no, but I honestly think half the 'acne' products actually make your skin worse as they dry it out too much which leads to more oil production. Especially the harsh ones like BP. Then the products for 'normal' skin are too rich. Also exfoliating with a face cloth, and witch hazel toner have really helped too! Your skin is delicate be kind to it, with mild products.
If this helps even one other person that would make me happy!
whistling.gif)
MemberMember
(@joonbug9109)

Posted : 06/09/2013 6:16 pm

Oilygirl1980- When you add the lemon oil to your moisturizer, do you put the drop directly into the container or do you add a drop to what you have dispensed into your palm? Also where did you find lemon oil? I've heard several others on here have had success with it.

Dave6677- I will also have to try this water method that you mentioned and see if it works for me.

Yeah I'm going to chime in on here and say that I have very oily skin and I moisturize, but quite frankly I have yet to find a moisturizer that I really like. So I'm beginning to wonder if it's worth it for me to even bother with moisturizers. I do it still mostly because I've bought in to everything that we've been told by skincare companies about why we need to moisturize, the scientific validity of all of these claims I'm now questioning (the overcompensation myth, you need the spf- that I'm confident is still true, that moisturizers "seal in" the treatments from your skincare routine, that moisturizers create a barrier between your skin and environmental pollutants that are bad for your skin, and the list goes on...). I've also heard from many people who are older than me that I will regret not moisturizing later in life (I'm in my 20s). So definitely if anyone has had success with a particular brand of moisturizer, let the rest of us know!