Notifications
Clear all

Solodyn, Do You Work?

MemberMember
(@acneyousuck)

Posted : 05/23/2013 12:03 pm

Hey everybody,

I'm a first time poster but long time reader and follower of this forum. I've been struggling with acne my whole life and it's great to come to this forum and see that I'm not alone. I honestly can't even remember when the dreaded problem started but I can say that I am 26 years old and suffer with adult acne. Most of my acne is on the left side of my face with zits here and there on the right. It's been hard to pinpoint the cause of my acne but it's most likely hormonal due to thyroid irregularities. Like you, I've tried everything from over the counter to prescription to natural remedies to urine topical treatment to laser treatments. Some things sparked some remedy but only for a brief time. I gave up and went for the laser treatments when I graduated college so about 3 years ago - after the dreadful healing process, my face got pretty okay with just a zit here and there from time to time. Something happened between then and now where my hormones have lost their mind and my acne is outrageous. My new doctor has placed me on 60mg of solodyn - I just finished my first month of pills and my face is still breaking out and getting all the gunk out.

Does anyone have any experience with Solodyn? I haven't had any side effects just the gunk coming out like expected. They do say it gets bad before it gets better but when is the bad going to stop? I'm trying to be patient and optimistic but sometimes its hard. I.e. this weekend it will be hard because I'm going camping with the boyfriend's friends and inside I'm going to be freaking out whether my makeup is staying on and my blemishes aren't showing.

Acne, you really do suck.

Any comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

MemberMember
(@mrnegative)

Posted : 05/24/2013 3:02 pm

It took me about 2 1/2 months of Solodyn to get my face completely clear. Now I just have to deal with hyperpigmentation. -_- But yeah, to answer your question, Solodyn does work.

MemberMember
(@snsdgirl14)

Posted : 06/15/2013 2:14 am

Solodyn works pretty well. I didn't have any of the negative side effects. I also didn't have an initial breakout, but with antibiotics, it takes at least a month for your skin to start to get better.

Overall I thought Solodyn was okay. Doxy was what really cleared me up, and after that stopped working, I switched to Solodyn. I found that Solodyn kept me pretty clear but I would still get a zit or two once a month. I had to switch to generic Mino because my insurance stopped covering Solodyn (it's like $1,000 a bottle...crazy) and now I don't think the generic Mino does much for me. I'm getting off it soon.

MemberMember
(@lucas98)

Posted : 06/17/2013 5:24 pm

I first started off with 60mg of solodyn and was on that for about 5-6 months with no effect. the my dermatologist prescribed 80 mg and I noticed a huge improvement in one month. Now I am left with a lot of redness from previous pimples and marks from poking (I know its tempting)

MemberMember
(@dolldee)

Posted : 08/19/2013 8:13 pm

solydyn did not work for me. but only took it for 2 months

MemberMember
(@intensecow)

Posted : 09/02/2013 10:28 pm

I too am in my mid-20s and I have been on Solodyn for a little over 2 months and have seen no improvement. This is the last antibiotic from a long list that I've tried. I will be going on Accutane in a few weeks so maybe that is a route to consider?