Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Certain Dry On Your Face?

Hello, does anyone have an experience using the OTC anti-perspirant Certain Dry?

My dermatologist recommended I try this ON MY FACE lol to help with my oily skin. Based on what I know about the chemical in it (aluminum chloride) and the risks associated with anti-perspirants in general, I'm inclined to think my Derm is an idiot and this is a tremendously bad idea.

Anyone ever tried this? Thanks.

Edited by Guest

Hello, does anyone have an experience using the OTC anti-perspirant Certain Dry?

My dermatologist recommended I try this ON MY FACE lol to help with my oily skin. Based on what I know about the chemical in it (aluminum chloride) and the risks associated with anti-perspirants in general, I'm inclined to think my Derm is an idiot and this is a tremendously bad idea.

I have oily skin, sweat a lot and have told my dermatologist about it and she never recommended putting anti-perspirant on my face. I think I have seen forums on here about others doing that though. My dermatologist just gave me some power, but I still wouldn't put it on my face. I've uesd this before and it works well at absorbing oil though. I know other brands make similar things. http://www.mariobadescu.com/special-healing-powder

I have oily skin, sweat a lot and have told my dermatologist about it and she never recommended putting anti-perspirant on my face. I think I have seen forums on here about others doing that though. My dermatologist just gave me some power, but I still wouldn't put it on my face. I've uesd this before and it works well at absorbing oil though. I know other brands make similar things. http://www.mariobadescu.com/special-healing-powder

Yeah I can't believe he recommended it. At first I though it was a joke and then he wrote it down for me LOL.

And thanks for the tip, I'll look into that powder. Is it noticeable when it's on your face? I'm a dude and it's a big hit to my pride to have to wear anything that resembles makeup, and it'd be twice a bad if others could tell haha.

Edited by Guest

Yeah I can't believe he recommended it. At first I though it was a joke and then he wrote it down for me LOL.

And thanks for the tip, I'll look into that powder. Is it noticeable when it's on your face? I'm a dude and it's a big hit to my pride to have to wear anything that resembles makeup, and it'd be twice a bad if others could tell haha.

No it isn't visible, just makes your skin look really matte and you only need to use a small amount. It'll last a long time too. I have heard of people using pure potassium alum, you use it like a toner and it helps slow oil production, but I've never had any experience with that.

Edited by melmel87

No it isn't visible, just makes your skin look really matte and you only need to use a small amount. It'll last a long time too. I have heard of people using pure potassium alum, you use it like a toner and it helps slow oil production, but I've never had any experience with that.

Okay, yea it just seems like a talc and clay based powder so that might help and shouldn't be too irritating.

Great, thanks :)

If your sweating a lot from the forehead or something then Certain Dry will work but it will do nothing for oily skin. Certain Dry shrinks your sweat glands not your oil.

I can't even get Certain Dri to stop my sweat, but I'll put it on my list of things to try. If anyone ends up trying this, I would love to hear the results.

My mouth just dropped open, yeah your derm IS an idiot where did they get their license?

Anything with aluminum is toxic anyway I wont even use it in deodorant under my arms because it can increase the risk of breast cancer.

Run run away from that derm!crazy.gif

btw clean and clear, paladio and other brands make oil absorbing sheets, they work really well and have no make-up/powder aspect, you just blot your face with them.Thats my suggestion :-)

Edited by AuguriesofInnocence

My mouth just dropped open, yeah your derm IS an idiot where did they get their license?

Anything with aluminum is toxic anyway I wont even use it in deodorant under my arms because it can increase the risk of breast cancer.

Run run away from that derm!crazy.gif

btw clean and clear, paladio and other brands make oil absorbing sheets, they work really well and have no make-up/powder aspect, you just blot your face with them.Thats my suggestion whistling.gif)

Haha yea I realized that pretty quick, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't some trade secret that I had somehow missed in my research. It was good for a laugh though lol.

And I've intentionally gone to a wide spectrum of derms in the hopes that one will have some information that might be of some use. Buuuuttt after this lol I think this guy may be the last derm I talk to for awhile.

And for me, it's probably a mix of hormonal and lifestyle. I workout alot, eat alot, take supplements, have a lot of lean body mass, and am usually under a boatload of stress; that combo for sure gives me elevated Testosterone and Cortisol levels as well as an extremely fast metabolism. From what I've read that can lead to a rapid pace of cell turnover and extra oil production. I'll be getting bloodwork done to get the hormones looked at soon.

And yea I've got a pretty good repertoire of tricks to help with the oily skin, it just makes me more high maintenance than most of the girls I've dated LOL

Edited by Guest

Hey keep me updated on the hormone test if you dont mind. Im thinking about getting that done too. I think mine is also related to similar things as yours, working out, supplements, stress, etc.

Also what are you using to help with the oil?

Hey keep me updated on the hormone test if you dont mind. Im thinking about getting that done too. I think mine is also related to similar things as yours, working out, supplements, stress, etc.

Also what are you using to help with the oil?

Yea no problem. Could be awhile though, the appointment is not for a few weeks.

And as far how I manage? I'll tell you the most significant ones, but keep in mind these work for my skin so they nay not for you. Yes, they are basic but I found the most effective routine is keeping it clean, not irritated, and not dried out. I believe my skin is healing itself from years of BP by not aggravating it too much.

1) Shower twice a day. It blows and is time cosuming but unaviodable. Shower with lukewarm water, and ONLY use cool water on your face. I use Cetaphil Gentle Facial Wash while in the shower, rub lightly for a few seconds then rinse. Don't let any shampoo get on your face.

2) If you have bangs on your forehead, grab some gel or styling paste and push them off. Hair touching your forehead will spread oil and cause irritation. I never liked gel, so I use a paste/wax.

3) I use the ACV toner I made in a previous thread. During the winter time I use this after each shower, during the summer I use it once a week since it seems to make my skin sensitive to the sun.

4) I use Milk of magnesia once a week to dry out my skin. It turns my light tan skin pale, so I put it on with a cotton ball at night. After a shower in the morning most of the paleness is gone, if not the ACV will neutralize things and return color to your face.

5) Blot.Blot.and Blot.

Learn to use either toilet paper, toilet seat covers, or those brown paper towels to gently dab yourh face. Do not rub your face. Dab lightly. This is your best defense for shine mid-day. It's a pain, but it's what I've learned to do to look good. When I go somewhere I identify where the bathrooms are, and if there are none I bring a square of toilet paper in my jeans pocket.

6) For bad cysts, I use a combo of Milk Of Magnesia as a spot treatment and icing, the icing I detailed in an earlier thread

7) Light exfoliation is good. The ACV will do it chemically, or a wet shave will gently remove dead cells as well.

8) Treat you're skin as a dynamic entity. Be observant, as sometimes what worked before may suddenly cause irritation. Don't be afraid to stop a treatment for a day or two; reddness is a sign that something isn't working and you may be have to wash/shower/blot less for awhile.

9) I never wash more than 3 times in a day. That includes showering. If I take 2 showers, I only wash one other time. When I get oily, I blot.

These may seem simple but I'd say since I stopped BP and my other chemicals and started being gentle with my face, my oily skin has decreased about 30%; and not only that but my face in general looks better and the oily skin is less noticeable.

I have yet to find a solution to waking up oil free, the only thing that works is slathering my face with M.o.M, but that makes my face pasty for days so it's not really an option lol.

But doing all those little things right to clean but not irritate my skin definetly has helped.

Edited by Guest

Thanks. Im pretty much got the same routine as you except Im using epiduo which has some BP in it. Anyway my next apt Im going to try and get my hormones checked too. Im interested to see if somethings out of wack.

Yea I think for a lot of people that have acne/skin issues it is predominantly hormonal. Whether or not there can be anything done about it is a different story, but it's nice to at least know what the issue is. That's how I see it at least.

Hey there. Just thought I would add my two cents..There actually is a sweat deodorant meant for your face so it won't clog poors as it is made for your face. I have severely oily skin and I sweat on my face very easily even if its only 70 degrees out. I have no idea if the two are related. I read about 3B face saver and it had rave reviews for people who sweat severely on the face and have oily skin. You use it as a primer pretty much. You can find it at Walmart in the deodorant section and costs around 15 bucks. So far it has not really worked for me. It has helped a little with the sweat but has just made my skin oilier at the end of the day which is NOT good. However, there are a ton of rave reviews of people who swear by it . So some products don't work for everyone. I am surprised your doctor didn't mention this instead of certain dri.

Hello, i have never put certain-dry on my face. However, after looking at my armpits after applying a anti-persperent, i would definitely not put it on my face. I know there are much safer healthier and natural ways to combat oily skin. Aloe vera for one is good for an oily face. I have also mixed organic apple cider vinegar with water(10-1 ratio) and used it as a face wash. does wonders. Good luck!

Oh my gosh, that's a terrible idea. I've used Certain Dri before on special occasions and it is made to close up your pores and sweat glands so that sweat won't be able to get through. I can't imagine what it would do to acne and closing pores on your face.

Oh my gosh, that's a terrible idea. I've used Certain Dri before on special occasions and it is made to close up your pores and sweat glands so that sweat won't be able to get through. I can't imagine what it would do to acne and closing pores on your face.

Yea at first I was just dumbfounded; that stuff can be pretty bad for you even when you use it like you're supposed to LOL, on your underarms.

It was good for a laugh though. and that was the first and last shot for that derm :)

Yea at first I was just dumbfounded; that stuff can be pretty bad for you even when you use it like you're supposed to LOL, on your underarms.

It was good for a laugh though. and that was the first and last shot for that derm smile.png

Yeah, I would not go back to your derm. haha Also, deodorant helps with odor and sweat, not oil. How does that make any sense to control oily skin?

It was good for a laugh though. and that was the first and last shot for that derm smile.png

Yeah, I would not go back to your derm. haha Also, deodorant helps with odor and sweat, not oil. How does that make any sense to control oily skin?

I mean I can see what he was trying to do; it just doesn't work in the way he thought.

Certain Dry, and anti-antiperspirants in general, use some chemical to literally seal up your pores. He seemed to think that if I sealed up my face, no oil would come through LOL. Unfortunately the chemical would probably burn my face and the sealing of my oil glands could cause sebaceous cysts; which are much worse than some oily skin.

I found some people online that tried it, and it wasn't pretty haha.

I mean I can see what he was trying to do; it just doesn't work in the way he thought.

Certain Dry, and anti-antiperspirants in general, use some chemical to literally seal up your pores. He seemed to think that if I sealed up my face, no oil would come through LOL. Unfortunately the chemical would probably burn my face and the sealing of my oil glands could cause sebaceous cysts; which are much worse than some oily skin.

I found some people online that tried it, and it wasn't pretty haha.

Yes, I understand his idea, but since he's a derm he should know what it does and doesn't do for skin. If you still have oily skin and you can't manage it from the inside, then I have a few suggestions. Oil blotting sheets, those won't stop the oil, but they will blot it off your face and it should last a few hours or so depending on how oily you are. Also, try a primer. It's a type of silicon based under-makeup thing. Primers smooth out the skin and control oil, so that your skin looks matte and oil free. Typically, they are clear so if you use one no one will tell.

Yes, I understand his idea, but since he's a derm he should know what it does and doesn't do for skin. If you still have oily skin and you can't manage it from the inside, then I have a few suggestions. Oil blotting sheets, those won't stop the oil, but they will blot it off your face and it should last a few hours or so depending on how oily you are. Also, try a primer. It's a type of silicon based under-makeup thing. Primers smooth out the skin and control oil, so that your skin looks matte and oil free. Typically, they are clear so if you use one no one will tell.

Yes that's what I'm looking into actually. Can you recommend a clear primer that is reasonably priced?

Edited by Guest

Yes that's what I'm looking into actually. Can you recommend a clear primer that is reasonably priced?

I've tried a few different primers and my 2 favorite are Bareminerals Prime Time and Benefit Porefessional Primer.

Bareminerals Prime Time: clear and smooth feeling silicon based gel. A little goes a long way. When my acne was moderate, it seemed to make any bumps look a bit flatter and it also made the texture of my skin look smoother. Overall, a great primer, but not my #1. (Costs $23 for 30 ml bottle)

Benefit Porefssional Primer: not clear, (I know you asked for clear, but hear me out on this one!) it has a super slight tint to it. It's such a versatile tint that it adds no color to pale skin and it doesn't make super dark skin look ashy. It makes skin texture appear super smooth, pores are literally invisible. (I never thought much about my pores until I tried this, my skin looks flawless with this on)and it flattens the appearance of bumps. (Costs $30 for a 22 ml bottle)

I've tried a few different primers and my 2 favorite are Bareminerals Prime Time and Benefit Porefessional Primer.

Bareminerals Prime Time: clear and smooth feeling silicon based gel. A little goes a long way. When my acne was moderate, it seemed to make any bumps look a bit flatter and it also made the texture of my skin look smoother. Overall, a great primer, but not my #1. (Costs $23 for 30 ml bottle)

Benefit Porefssional Primer: not clear, (I know you asked for clear, but hear me out on this one!) it has a super slight tint to it. It's such a versatile tint that it adds no color to pale skin and it doesn't make super dark skin look ashy. It makes skin texture appear super smooth, pores are literally invisible. (I never thought much about my pores until I tried this, my skin looks flawless with this on)and it flattens the appearance of bumps. (Costs $30 for a 22 ml bottle)

Cool, I'll look into those. I just have to swallow my pride a little before I go and check them out smile.png

Edited by Guest

Cool, I'll look into those. I just have to swallow my pride a little before I go and check them out smile.png

Oh hush! No need to swallow your pride~ just say you're getting them for your girlfriend! I would check out makeupalley and google about these primers to figure out which one is for you. :)

Oh hush! No need to swallow your pride~ just say you're getting them for your girlfriend! I would check out makeupalley and google about these primers to figure out which one is for you. smile.png

LOL way ahead of you... I had already decided I'm going to use the "my little sister somehow got me to go get it" excuse haha