Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LucyInTheSky

DIANETTE and SPIRO in treating oily skin and acne

Can anyone help?

I am 25 years old and have been battling mild acne (little non-inflammatory bumps on my foreheadand) and terribly oily skin for a very long time now. To some, this may not seem like much, but I have had close to no life outside of my home and daily habits, no self esteem and no lust for my wonderful husband in a long time. I've been battling depression after depression for years now. I am better now, thanks to a lot of work on the inside, but I am almost hopeless for normal, or even simply o.k. skin. We all are.

This is where I need your help...

I have tried, like most of you, just about everything... I have just started the explore the realm of hormonal therapy for acne. I am on week-2 od Diane-35 (Dianette) and am considering asking my OBGYN about Spironolactone. I have been doing a lot of reasearch on both Dianette and Spiro, but need your help with the of your resultst, please!

* did you have oily skin prior to Dianette and/or Spiro

* how long did it take to see results on the oil production? On acne?

* did it work for mild acne with non-inflammatory comedones (little bumps)

* are any of you on Dianette AND spiro? How is it working out for you?

I am hoping that Dianette and possibly Spironolactone will work... oil and acne have been running my life and self-esteem for too long. Any tiny bit of info will greatly be appreciated.

Thanks so much for reading, caring and taking the time to help

Lucy:

First of all my heart goes out to you. We seem to have some commonalities in our acne problems. First all to start off I'm 22 and have had acne since i was 12 or 13. Nothing helped it, Antibiotics masked the problems but 6 months later I was back to square one. I WAS one of those girls that needed to reapply makeup or powder by 11 am and thought I was always had to wear makeup. I have tried so many things I was seriously about to start accutane because at 22 I had enough. Anyways after less than 3 months on Spiro and Demulen I am completely clear...My skin is normal, not oily, and I can go without makeup...Its utterly amazing and a long term solution as long as you remain on the SPIRO. I tried to do some research on Dianette, couldn't find out exactly what your pill is composed of. Demulen (Generic is Zovia) is mostly estrogen, and I'm not going to lie I have put on about 10 lbs which isn't wonderful to me but I can lose the weight, acne is a bit more stubborn I think than weight gain. So by taking this high estrogen pill plus Spiro I've finally got the skin I've always dreamed about. Sometimes its still hard to believe.

To answer your ?s: Yes I had oily skin before, normal now. Spiro I thought started working the first week on oil production. I never get even A pimple anymore.

I truly believe this is a wonderful combination to combat hormonal acne because mine was on my cheeks and lower jawline. I will give you any information I have because I learned about Spiro on these very boards and its been my most successful treatment. Be sure to read the other thread in this forum on prescriptions for spiro.

Take care,

Rae

Thank you so much RaeRae for taking the time to answer my question and to even have to a little research for me. Your story truly inspired me and gave me hope at a normal life, for my husband and I. I'm going to see my OBGYN next monday and see what he thinks, of adding SPIRO to Dianette (which I just started taking, with no results yet on acne and oil, but it has only been 2 weeks or so).

Thanks you again, so much, for your answer Rae.

Lucy:

You're absolutely welcome. About 4 months ago I was seriously figuring out when I should start Accutane. I will answer any questions you have and help in anyway possible.

Take care,

Rae

Has anyone else tried Dianette (Diane 35) and or Spiro? Rae Rae has used Spiro combined with another BCP and it worked for her, really really well. Any other success stories? I need some more hope that this may actually work for me.

* did you have oily skin prior to Dianette and/or Spiro

* how long did it take to see results on the oil production? On acne?

* did it work for mild acne with non-inflammatory comedones (little bumps)

* are any of you on Dianette AND spiro? How is it working out for you?

All acne is hormonal. The question is which hormones are affecting your acne the most. If you're having progesterone deficits mid cycle and you get jaw/chin acne this is typically known as "hormonal acne". However, if you have acne all over the place all month long it's most likely that you have testosterone related acne. Diane/Dianette should not be used for the "hormonal acne" but for severe cystic acne. This is what it is indicated for. If you have acne all month long, like I do, and it is severe, like it is for me, I suggest other methods of acne control. I truly wish you guys the best. We will all get through this smile.gif

I would like to take the time to thank all of you for answering and caring.

Guardedly Optimictic:

What OTHER methods of controling acne are you reffering to? Maybe they could help for me. My acne is definitly worse some times of the month then others. So is my oil production. It's always in patterns.

Have you tried Spiro? I'm going to ask my OBGYN about it. I've been asking around about it, and some of the ladies that have really similar symptoms to mine said it worked for them, with no side effects except for a little weight gain... BRING ON THE EXTRA POUNDS SPIRO, I DON'T CARE. It's a drug that's been around for some time and it seems to be pretty safe. I'm really healthty (other than my acne)...

KATIEBIRD:

If you have given enough time to both BCPs and SPIRO , than maybe your problem is coming form the outside. From what I've been reading and from the answers that I've been receiving, SPIRO seems to have a high success rate for some that have even tried anti-androgenic BCPs like YASMIN and DIANETTE, and whom those pills didn't work for (the levels of anti-androgenic steriods just weren't strong enough in the BCP, BUT were strong enough with the dosage of spiro).

ORTHO TRI-CYCLENE didn't work for me eben 1%. Unlike Dianette and Yasmin, it does not block androgens from being absorbed.

What kind of cleansing products are you using?

What type of environment do you work in?

P.S.: I'm not sure if the term ANTI-ANDROGENIC even exists. I asked my husband and he said he thinks it does. eusa_doh.gif

Rae Rae,

Thanks for looking over me... that's great that it's not the SPIRO that lead to your weight gain. At this point, I don't care if it made me gain 20 pounds. If it works, I'll be on cloud 9. Just as long as my weight is a healthy one, the extra pounds would have been tolerable. I really really hope that, if my OBGYN thinks it's a good idea, that SPIRO will work. I mean, you were cosidering going on ACCUTANE before SPIRO. I read up on it quite a bit... did you experience side effects other than the common diuretic ones?

THANKS AGAIN RAE RAE... my firts acne.org friend! wink.gif

I've researched spiro very much lately. I can't seem to find out if you can take spiro and Yasmin at the same time? I got on Yasmin a few months ago. It doesn't do much for the oil. I don't have much acne, mainly tiny bumps in the really oily areas. Mandelic acid has helped out my skin alot w/ the oil. But I want to do something internally to reduse the oil. Also, I was planning to buy it on line, so I need to know a safe source and dosage. I'm about 120 lbs

I started getting acne on my cheeks. Never around my jaw/chin. And, my acne would come all month long. First whiteheads, then cysts etc etc. I'm taking the strongest med right now. Can you guess what it is? I don't think you're a suitable candidate for accutane cuz you say your acne is mild. I wouldn't even play with hormones either if your acne is mild. I think you should try natural remedies like homeopathy or chinese herbs. You may have an allergy to milk/dairy products etc. I'm just giving suggestions but if my acne was mild and only on my forehead I would use topicals like proactive and natural remedies. Even hiding my forehead with bangs did wonders for my self esteem cuz I don't have to worry about the pimples on my forehead. And, I look good with bangs.

Please let me know how everything turns out. I have faith that everything will turn out great for you. And, please, push yourself to go out and have a great social life. People don't notice your skin as much as you do. This I have learned for myself. I push myself to go out. Don't miss out on life smile.gif

Lucy:

Sorry took me so long to respond. I'm glad to be your first Acne.org friend. Thanks for the high consideration. About the extra weight gain I joined Weight watchers and have been applying to law school so I've been sparse.

You been back to your OBGYN? When I went I was actually going to suggest Spiro but he mentioned it first. Its the most wonderful thing not to worry about your skin anymore. Trust me we can ALL get there. Keep me updated.

Good luck,

Rae

Hi,

I was on Diane-35 (Diannette in the US) for less than a year. Before I had oily skin, persistent mild-moderate acne and tried all sorts of topicals/diets and nothing worked. Diane-35 worked great. Within 2-3 months, oil production went down and within 6 months, drastic changes in skin-smoother, less oily, less breakouts that healed faster until near the one year mark, i was clear with the occasional pimple. Problem-the weight gain. It was obvious to me and everyone around me taht i gained weight. I gained about 10 pounds and my face looked very blotaed. I cringe when i look at my pictures.

So my vainess caused me to get off Diane and switch to spiro. I have been on 100mg of spiro for the past 5 months and it's been working great. Occasional dizzyness if i don't drink enough water, and i don't experience the weight gain. But i would strongly recommend taking spiro with a birth control pill or else your erratic periods will drive you insane. I plan on taking yasmin along with spiro.

hope this helps

Hi,

I was on Diane-35 (Diannette in the US) for less than a year. Before I had oily skin, persistent mild-moderate acne and tried all sorts of topicals/diets and nothing worked. Diane-35 worked great. Within 2-3 months, oil production went down and within 6 months, drastic changes in skin-smoother, less oily, less breakouts that healed faster until near the one year mark, i was clear with the occasional pimple. Problem-the weight gain. It was obvious to me and everyone around me taht i gained weight. I gained about 10 pounds and my face looked very blotaed. I cringe when i look at my pictures.

So my vainess caused me to get off Diane and switch to spiro. I have been on 100mg of spiro for the past 5 months and it's been working great. Occasional dizzyness if i don't drink enough water, and i don't experience the weight gain. But i would strongly recommend taking spiro with a birth control pill or else your erratic periods will drive you insane. I plan on taking yasmin along with spiro.

hope this helps

YingYang:

I'm right where you are with the weight gain caused by the high estrogen pill. I gained like 12 lbs and my doctor didn't want to take me off of it. Twelve pounds is a lot of weight to gain in two months when you haven't changed your eating habits haha Anyways I joined weight watchers and I will survive. Just wanted to let you know you're not the only one that going through this crap.

Take care,

Rae

RaeRae

I started Spiro about 1 week ago; my OBGYN thought it was a good idea. So 50mg + Diane 35. So far, so GREAT! I haven't had nice skin like this in years. It is actually starting to heal. Thanks for asking! Hope all is good woth you!

Lupe

Spiro has been around for over 50 years; its side effects are well known. You would need to take it with bc pill; as birth defects related to testosterone difficiency are dangerous for the foetus. Diane or Yasmin are far worse for you than Spiro. Spiro is pretty safe.

If your acne bothers you, I would say go for a more "aggressive" treatement then bp and creams. If the quality of your life is at stake, seek help with oral meds. Educate yourself on both accutane and spiro (i recommend the latest, spiro, as it treats your acne at the source. Accutane is not that great for hormonal acne and oily skin. The oil will come back 1-2 months after your accutane treatment is over.

Spiro and Diane (like Yasmin) is working great for me and I've only been on diane for 1 month and spiro for 1 week. Ask ladies like RaeRae and they'll tell you to go for spiro! It really controls hormonal acne.

Thanks so much! I'm going to order Spiro online. I have done lots of research and I thinkn it's the best option for me. I'm ordering it online b/c I don't don't want to pay $80 for the derm, who will just give me antibiotics and 10 samples of topicals. My skin is too sensitive for topicals (mandelic acid works though) I really just need to get to te root of the problem by reducing my sebum which aggrevates my rosacea and clogs my pores. I need to know a good source to order it from

I have not experienced any weight gain at all...in fact I've lost about 5 lbs. since starting spiro back in april.

Lupe...I PM'd you a response to your query smile.gif

I'm pretty convinced my acne is hormonal because the only time I was totally 100% clear was during pregnancy and then about a year after my son was born, BAM, I broke out horrifically!

Right now, I'm using Retin-A Micro .1% and Ortho-Tri-Cyclen and have been for about 6 weeks. At first, I experienced quite the intial breakout, but I'm not sure if this had more to do w/the RAM or the OTC pills. At any rate, the initial breakout is pretty much over and my face is getting better every day. I have almost zero closed comedones and one mini-zit on my left cheek. Don't get me wrong, my face still looks like a train wreck because of all the left over red marks, but they seem to be fading pretty fast and are unnoticeable under makeup. I'm looking into smoothbeam treatments to correct some minor scarring, but other than that, I feel optimistic that I'm going to be able to control my acne now w/this combo of meds!

As for oil, I feel slightly less oily but I still need to blot once or twice during the day. I also did gain about 10 lbs, but I attribute that to the fact that I haven't exercised regularly in the past two months and eating a crap load of food (my hubby came back from Afghanistan, so we we're in a celabratory mood! I had to cook him all the stuff he'd been missing overseas!) I think if you're going to use BCP as part of the regimen to treat your acne, the best way to prevent weight gain is to get up off your duff and hit the gym!

Good luck ladies!

LUPE:

Instead of ordering on the net, why don't just go and see your doctor? You can go see her or him with some info on spiro. to show that you've done your homework and to maybe help to convince your doc. into prescribing it for you. I know how hard it is to wait when you think that you've found a solution, but I don't know how much i trust the quality of the meds of those on-line pharmacies... your health is imporatant so make sure that what you put into your body is quality stuff. I know that it's hard to wait when you you think you've found a solution, but it may be better for you in the long run.

RAERAE

You look lovely on your pic. Your skin has such a nice glow to it. It's nice to put a face onto someone.

My skin, btw, is looking better and better everyday. I started using diluted vinegar as a toner and to even out my skin and help refine its texture a little and just ordered certified emu-oil. I've only been using the vinegar for 3 days now and my skin is really looking better, already... back to basics, and guess, with natural products. It makes sense...

LUCY:

Aww thanks for the sweet compliment. Congrats on your progress, which will only get better and better by the day. Right now I'm just using Clinique clarifying lotion (toner) #2 occassionally and no topicals. I've been doing this a week and my skin tone is perfect. I never thought I'd have skin like this or be able to just wash my face and go to bed. Finally life is a little more fair haha...

P.S. Lucy in the sky with diamonds was the song on the radio when I got my new car...Just remembered that, maybe it was fate we met haha

Take care,

Rae

I've been battling depression after depression for years now. I am better now, thanks to a lot of work on the inside...

*  did you have oily skin prior to Dianette and/or Spiro

*  how long did it take to see results on the oil production? On acne?

*  did it work for mild acne with non-inflammatory comedones (little bumps)

*  are any of you on Dianette AND spiro? How is it working out for you?