Notifications
Clear all

Diane, Spiro Or Acne.org Regimen?

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 05/18/2013 9:00 pm

I really want to get peoples opinions on birth control for acne, whether you recommend it, what your experiences are with it, if results can last after stopping etc... Especially for Diane (that's the one my GP seemed to be recommending) though im open to other suggestions too! :)

I don't know whether to be starting birth control for acne, if i should ask about spiro, or if i should try the acne.org regimen... So advice with any of this would be really appreciated!! Im confused and lost as to what i should do for my acne now.

(extra info - im 20 and have had moderate to severe acne for about 7 years... I've used BP before which helped a bit but I've never used the regimen...also used antibiotics but the results only lasted maybe a month after stopping. Im also waiting for blood test results looking at hormone levels and whether PCOS might be something I have...)

(also - sorry if there's any weird errors in spelling etc - trying to post from my mobile).

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 05/18/2013 9:25 pm

Lots of people have success with Diane clearing them up as long. You are getting brand name. You can do diane and spiro together which is what a large group of people do.

I hear good and bad things about the regime on here. It's a long process and your skin burns and itches and flakes all the times. But it seems to work well for a lot of people.

I am on spiro and it is working very nicely. I like the fact that it is pretty low maintience just pop a pill and then wash my face and use an astringent and bam I am clear. I also like that with spiro your oil level drops dramatically on you face and in your hair. So if you are an oily person then this medication would be a good choice for you

MemberMember
(@randall-flagg)

Posted : 05/18/2013 10:14 pm

If it's possible for you to get the Regimen products for a cheaper shipping cost, I'd say definitely give it a try, Lily. I've only been on the Regimen for two weeks now and I've had almost four straight days of clear skin with NO breakouts (this is kind of a milestone for me because I can't even remember the last time I didn't wake up with new or forming blemishes, it was an every day occurrence) I'm sure that breakouts will still happen since I'm still going through the first few weeks...but I swear it just feels like this is working for me like nothing else has ever worked for me before. I think it's definitely worth a try if you can get the products cheaper (or if you go the store bought route because the only item from the website I bought was Dan's BP)

I can't give you any advice about birth control as an acne treatment (the fact that I'm a dude limits my knowledge on that subject, haha :P) but I can tell you that the Regimen seems incredibly effective, and this is coming from someone who's used just about every acne treatment ever (aside from Accutane) with only mediocre results that don't even come close to what I'm experiencing now.

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 05/20/2013 1:10 am

Thank you both for your replies :)

Lots of people have success with Diane clearing them up as long. You are getting brand name. You can do diane and spiro together which is what a large group of people do.

I hear good and bad things about the regime on here. It's a long process and your skin burns and itches and flakes all the times. But it seems to work well for a lot of people.

I am on spiro and it is working very nicely. I like the fact that it is pretty low maintience just pop a pill and then wash my face and use an astringent and bam I am clear. I also like that with spiro your oil level drops dramatically on you face and in your hair. So if you are an oily person then this medication would be a good choice for you

Good to hear spiro is working well for you :) I may as well ask about spiro when I see my doctor in the next week or so. Some of the side effects of Diane are putting me off wanting to take it... I guess spiro has side effects too but I haven't done much reading on it yet.

I've heard mixed things about the regimen too - but I've also heard mixed things about birth control and spiro for acne. Everyone's experience is different... which makes it hard for me to decide.

How long have you been taking spiro / how long did it take for you to see results? Also - how long can you 'safely' stay on it?

If it's possible for you to get the Regimen products for a cheaper shipping cost, I'd say definitely give it a try, Lily. I've only been on the Regimen for two weeks now and I've had almost four straight days of clear skin with NO breakouts (this is kind of a milestone for me because I can't even remember the last time I didn't wake up with new or forming blemishes, it was an every day occurrence) I'm sure that breakouts will still happen since I'm still going through the first few weeks...but I swear it just feels like this is working for me like nothing else has ever worked for me before. I think it's definitely worth a try if you can get the products cheaper (or if you go the store bought route because the only item from the website I bought was Dan's BP)

I can't give you any advice about birth control as an acne treatment (the fact that I'm a dude limits my knowledge on that subject, haha tongue.png) but I can tell you that the Regimen seems incredibly effective, and this is coming from someone who's used just about every acne treatment ever (aside from Accutane) with only mediocre results that don't even come close to what I'm experiencing now.

Great to hear the regimen is working out for you! :)

I guess the good thing about the regimen is that the side effects are 'mild' compared to birth control... but I sort of feel like I need to do something different (and to see if it works or not). I've done BP and topicals before with limited results. Antibiotics with topicals worked but didn't last once I stopped antibiotics (and continued topicals) which makes me think I need to be taking something internally to get this under control.

How are you finding the dryness/flakiness that comes with BP? Do you know if it gets to a point where you skin is completely used to it and doesn't flake at all?

If I do try the regimen it'll probably have to be all on store bought products - which annoys me because I really wanted to use Dan's BP and AHA - but I can't justify spending that much every couple of months for 'forever'...

I don't know what I'm going to do... wish this was easier to deal with

(and I wish it was easier for me to make a decision :P)

MemberMember
(@randall-flagg)

Posted : 05/20/2013 1:41 am

Thank you both for your replies smile.png

Good to hear spiro is working well for you smile.png I may as well ask about spiro when I see my doctor in the next week or so. Some of the side effects of Diane are putting me off wanting to take it... I guess spiro has side effects too but I haven't done much reading on it yet.

I've heard mixed things about the regimen too - but I've also heard mixed things about birth control and spiro for acne. Everyone's experience is different... which makes it hard for me to decide.

How long have you been taking spiro / how long did it take for you to see results? Also - how long can you 'safely' stay on it?

>

I can't give you any advice about birth control as an acne treatment (the fact that I'm a dude limits my knowledge on that subject, haha tongue.png) but I can tell you that the Regimen seems incredibly effective, and this is coming from someone who's used just about every acne treatment ever (aside from Accutane) with only mediocre results that don't even come close to what I'm experiencing now.

Great to hear the regimen is working out for you! smile.png

I guess the good thing about the regimen is that the side effects are 'mild' compared to birth control... but I sort of feel like I need to do something different (and to see if it works or not). I've done BP and topicals before with limited results. Antibiotics with topicals worked but didn't last once I stopped antibiotics (and continued topicals) which makes me think I need to be taking something internally to get this under control.

How are you finding the dryness/flakiness that comes with BP? Do you know if it gets to a point where you skin is completely used to it and doesn't flake at all?

If I do try the regimen it'll probably have to be all on store bought products - which annoys me because I really wanted to use Dan's BP and AHA - but I can't justify spending that much every couple of months for 'forever'...

I don't know what I'm going to do... wish this was easier to deal with

(and I wish it was easier for me to make a decision tongue.png)

Well to be 100% honest with you the dryness/flakiness hasn't been an issue for me much yet (granted I'm only coming up on Week 2) but I've had minimal dryness if anything, and no major flaking at all. I've used topical Epiduo for many years prior to starting the Regimen so that might be the reason my skin doesn't dry out too much because of BP. I definitely get what you mean about not being able to get some of Dan's products, that's definitely a bummer that the costs are so high for you.

Well whatever you decide on I wish you the best of luck :)

MemberMember
(@someclearday)

Posted : 05/20/2013 5:44 pm

Spiro worked great for me for about three years, but eventually my body either got used to it or it was the birth control pill I added that threw it all off. Either way once I started breaking out again I ended up having to go to my last resort of Accutane. If you haven't tried Sprio I would recommend def trying it as it really did work great and quickly for me.

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 05/20/2013 8:44 pm

I have been on it for 4 months now and I cleared up right away from it. But.. I was on accutane from April to October and then I was off it for 3 months and went under a very high stress situation and I started to break out again I'm not sure if it was just accutane effects wearing off or if it was stress. Either way I freaked out and didn't want to do another accutane course what so ever so I decided to try spiro because I've always heard that if it accutane fails you to try spiro, the side effects of spiro are much more alluring after you've been on accutane trust me. I've not had side effects from spiro period. I've maye had to use the bathroom a few more times a day in the beginning but nothing to complain about. My blood pressure has remained in great condition and my potassium has gone uneffected.

I've not been told when I need to come off of spiro. My doctor has people on it for years and years and has not even brought up the subject of coming off it. Lots of people are on it long term. And it is considered safe.

MemberMember
(@auguriesofinnocence)

Posted : 05/20/2013 8:45 pm

hi Lilly, heres what worked for me, I take a birth control called yaz, it has a similar ingredient to spiro (drospirenone) but only 1/4 the dosage. I couldnt tolerate spiro as it made my blood pressure very low. Within 3-4 months of taking yaz my skin was clear.

Why not add some form on the regimen? I mean, you can use the topicals while you take bc pills, theres no reason you cant.

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 05/21/2013 3:27 am

Spiro worked great for me for about three years, but eventually my body either got used to it or it was the birth control pill I added that threw it all off. Either way once I started breaking out again I ended up having to go to my last resort of Accutane. If you haven't tried Sprio I would recommend def trying it as it really did work great and quickly for me.

Thanks for that info :)

Good to hear spiro worked for you - sorry it didn't last though. My doctor mentioned accutane to me also... and it's my absolute last resort treatment too. Hope that's working out well for you now! :)

I have been on it for 4 months now and I cleared up right away from it. But.. I was on accutane from April to October and then I was off it for 3 months and went under a very high stress situation and I started to break out again I'm not sure if it was just accutane effects wearing off or if it was stress. Either way I freaked out and didn't want to do another accutane course what so ever so I decided to try spiro because I've always heard that if it accutane fails you to try spiro, the side effects of spiro are much more alluring after you've been on accutane trust me. I've not had side effects from spiro period. I've maye had to use the bathroom a few more times a day in the beginning but nothing to complain about. My blood pressure has remained in great condition and my potassium has gone uneffected.

I've not been told when I need to come off of spiro. My doctor has people on it for years and years and has not even brought up the subject of coming off it. Lots of people are on it long term. And it is considered safe.

That's good you haven't had side effects from it. I'll definitely ask my doctor about spiro :)

hi Lilly, heres what worked for me, I take a birth control called yaz, it has a similar ingredient to spiro (drospirenone) but only 1/4 the dosage. I couldnt tolerate spiro as it made my blood pressure very low. Within 3-4 months of taking yaz my skin was clear.

Why not add some form on the regimen? I mean, you can use the topicals while you take bc pills, theres no reason you cant.

Thanks for the reply :)

I do remember you mentioning yaz somewhere else before - glad it's been working so well for you :) My doctor mentioned this one second to diane so I'll look into yaz also. Have you had any issues with yaz at all? Do you know what possible side effects are?

I probably will end up combining some form of the regimen with any medication I take. It's what I did when I took antibiotics for my skin and that worked well for me. I'd just rather be able to see that any results can be attributed to just the medication or just the topical / BP (if that makes sense..?) So maybe I'll take whatever medication for a while on it's own first to see how it works and then possibly add in BP or something like it.

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 05/21/2013 8:07 am

If you have any other questions let me know! Good luck to you and I hope whatever you are deciding on is ur winning combo!

MemberMember
(@auguriesofinnocence)

Posted : 05/21/2013 12:53 pm

To be honest I havent had any side effects I can attribute to yaz though everyone is different. Some women say their skin gets worse before it gets better but mine didnt, it stayed the same until 3-4 months than quickly cleared. It doesnt generally cause weight gain in fact most women lose weight. It has an ingredient close to spiro but not in a high dosage.

Any hormonal birth control pill/implant increases risks for blood clots, stroke, etc but in most women who are healthy and dont smoke its minimal.If you have clotting/vascular disorders you may not be a candidiate.

With yaz, I never had mood swings or nausea, when I took other bc pills Id feel sick if I didnt eat with them, this seems to be a good one for me.

Thanks for that info smile.png

Good to hear spiro worked for you - sorry it didn't last though. My doctor mentioned accutane to me also... and it's my absolute last resort treatment too. Hope that's working out well for you now! smile.png

>I have been on it for 4 months now and I cleared up right away from it. But.. I was on accutane from April to October and then I was off it for 3 months and went under a very high stress situation and I started to break out again I'm not sure if it was just accutane effects wearing off or if it was stress. Either way I freaked out and didn't want to do another accutane course what so ever so I decided to try spiro because I've always heard that if it accutane fails you to try spiro, the side effects of spiro are much more alluring after you've been on accutane trust me. I've not had side effects from spiro period. I've maye had to use the bathroom a few more times a day in the beginning but nothing to complain about. My blood pressure has remained in great condition and my potassium has gone uneffected.

Lilly75 liked
MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 05/28/2013 6:32 pm

i second Flaggs regarding giving the regimen a shot. Why subject your body to pills if a topical may be all that you need. I would suggest giving the Regimen 3 months and then trying Spiro or birth control. You're smart in makign accutane your last resort.

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 05/30/2013 1:55 am

I still haven't had the chance to go back to my GP and follow this up so I'm not on BCP or spiro at the moment. I do still want to ask about spiro, at least to find out my doctors thoughts on it for acne, but I guess one of the good things about the regimen is that its side effects are less serious than possible side effects of diane or spiro. I'm seeing good things happening with my skin at the moment by adding in a BP cleanser but I've only recently started using it consistently so I'll see how that goes and then maybe switch to the regimen if I can find suitable products.

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 06/06/2013 7:01 pm

So I was able to see my doctor the other day. I mentioned spiro but she's reluctant to prescribe it if my only issue is acne and I haven't tried other methods (like bcp) first. That's ok with me at the moment - at least it 'narrows' my options for now to bcp / topicals and later if those bring no relief then I can ask about spiro again.

Has anyone here heard of the bcp called Zoely? I haven't started taking it yet. It's fairly new in Australia I think. That's the one she is recommending for me now as the blood test didn't show anything major hormone-wise (like a testosterone excess or whatever) so using any bcp that will help balance progesterone is the way we're looking at things at the moment. I don't know if that makes sense... But if anyone has heard of, or has any experiences with Zoely, it'd be great if you could let me know :)

MemberMember
(@madeleine24)

Posted : 06/06/2013 9:35 pm

Any birth control that clears acne and doesn't cause weight gain? I am really scared cos I gained 6 kios on Yasmin. I have a tiny frame so it made me look really fat!

MemberMember
(@solveanceforever)

Posted : 06/06/2013 9:46 pm

never heard of those two first ones, DONT trust it, and DONT trust anyone who is promoting it without HARD EVIDENCE

they likely use the same ingredients anyway, and if so, comparing is pointleesss

check http://www.acne.org/reviews/