Notifications
Clear all

Can Coffee Cause Hormonal Breakouts?

MemberMember
(@bluegreeneyed)

Posted : 05/16/2013 2:50 pm

I was curious about this because it seems like (not positive or if I'm just being paranoid) but it seems like when I drink more coffee I get more tiny red bumps all over my face and they itch slightly. Anyone else have this happen to them when they drink coffee? I'm thinking about going off of it but I love it to much!

Jenjen84 liked
(@LewisS)

Posted : 05/16/2013 4:09 pm

If you have an intolerance to caffeine, quite possibly. Me and caffeine do not go at all, so I avoid it at all costs.

MemberMember
(@nuby3)

Posted : 05/16/2013 5:33 pm

caffeine gives you energy because it stimulates your adrenal gland to produce adrenaline. Which is a hormone that puts your body into a "fight or flight" state. So it DIRECTLY effects hormones. It also causes you to produce more sebum. hope this helps.

ps.. prolonged caffeine abuse can cause your adrenal gland to require caffeine for stimulation, which is a bad thing.

MemberMember
(@bluegreeneyed)

Posted : 05/17/2013 9:34 am

caffeine gives you energy because it stimulates your adrenal gland to produce adrenaline. Which is a hormone that puts your body into a "fight or flight" state. So it DIRECTLY effects hormones. It also causes you to produce more sebum. hope this helps.

ps.. prolonged caffeine abuse can cause your adrenal gland to require caffeine for stimulation, which is a bad thing.

Question..but if your body is used to drinking coffee and you really don't get the "flight or fight" state like jitters, sweating etc does ur body still internally (even though you do not have symptoms on the outside) does it still stimulate your Adrenal gland?

MemberMember
(@nuby3)

Posted : 05/17/2013 7:29 pm

I would say yes, but as you build a tolerance, maybe not as much. I think it would take an awful lot of it to actually be harmful. I don't think there is anything wrong with being a coffee drinker. Too much of anything can be harmful.

MemberMember
(@bluegreeneyed)

Posted : 05/18/2013 12:19 am

I would say yes, but as you build a tolerance, maybe not as much. I think it would take an awful lot of it to actually be harmful. I don't think there is anything wrong with being a coffee drinker. Too much of anything can be harmful.

Very true! Not really sure if coffee is the culprit for my acne, but I'm thinking about not drinking it for about a month and seeing if I have any improvement. Thanks for the info!

MemberMember
(@mikito)

Posted : 05/23/2013 6:43 am

Beside, coffe reduce zinc levels, and low zinc levels can cause acne.

MemberMember
(@melmel87)

Posted : 05/24/2013 12:25 pm

Caffeine increases androgens, plain and simple. If you're prone to acne, consuming caffeine can make it worse.

MemberMember
(@madeleine24)

Posted : 05/25/2013 3:36 am

It sucks because health professionals say what you eat or drink won't affect your acne, but it does because what we eat or drink can affect our hormone levels. Yet lucky people like my boyfriend can drink 8 shots of coffee a day and never get a pimple :(!!!!

MemberMember
(@bluegreeneyed)

Posted : 05/26/2013 5:06 pm

It sucks because health professionals say what you eat or drink won't affect your acne, but it does because what we eat or drink can affect our hormone levels. Yet lucky people like my boyfriend can drink 8 shots of coffee a day and never get a pimple :(!!!!

I know don't you hate that? How some people can just eat/drink whatever they want and not get a single pimple? I'm so jealous!

MemberMember
(@user146096)

Posted : 05/26/2013 6:05 pm

Caffeine is bad, yet green tea is loaded with it. What makes green tea different?, or is it just as bad?.

smiles23 liked
MemberMember
(@madeleine24)

Posted : 05/26/2013 7:12 pm

Green tea isn't actually that caffeinated. About a quarter to half of the amount of caffeine found in a cup of coffee. Depending on the type of coffee you have. Also it's very cleansing.

And Bluegreeneyed, I know way too many people who eat absolute crap as well and still have good skin. It's not fair :(! I figured if they're females they are probably on birth control...I could be wrong. Guys are lucky their hormones don't fluctuate so much.

MemberMember
(@uncle-buck)

Posted : 05/27/2013 4:52 am

You know your body best. Cut it out and see what happens! If you don't, you'll just be wondering every day and that's not healthy.

MemberMember
(@bluegreeneyed)

Posted : 05/27/2013 2:50 pm

You know your body best. Cut it out and see what happens! If you don't, you'll just be wondering every day and that's not healthy.

I feel like I don't though (lol) our body is so confusing and with our modern day diet it's hard to figure out what is contributing to your acne if its being exasturbated by foods. But I have stopped drinking coffee for almost a week now and I think I see less inflammation, but I'm not totally sure. I'll give it more time.

MemberMember
(@holly101)

Posted : 02/12/2014 7:06 pm

I am currently on roaccutane treatment for my acne. In the past few weeks I have started to notice my acne clearing and redness going down after 3 months of treatment HOWEVER today I had 2 lattes from a coffee shop and tonight have noticed a huge increase in redness and new spots on my skin. I never usually drink coffee so this is the only trigger I can think of that will have cause it. I would say coffee can make acne worse

smiles23 liked
MemberMember
(@carpemomentum)

Posted : 02/16/2014 9:00 am

Another thought to throw into this convo, if you are drinking your coffee with sugar and/or milk as those two things will also lead to inflammation within the body. Dairy obviously affects many people. I know that all 3 are triggers for me, so I drink 1 cup of decaffeinated with coconut creamer and stevia. either that or there are coffee alternatives such as Dandy Root or Teacino which is a roasted chicory blend. Depends on how desperate you are :) I love to have a warm cup of something in the morning, but I'd rather it not cause a pimple lol

MemberMember
(@softfocus)

Posted : 02/17/2014 11:05 pm

Yes coffee can if you are sensitive to it.

Carpemomentum, where do you get teacino from?

MemberMember
(@carpemomentum)

Posted : 02/18/2014 8:13 am

SoftFocus- I get it at a local health food store, but here is a link to Vitacost that has pretty good deals. Sorry I mispelled it before! http://www.vitacost.com/productResults.aspx?NttSR=1&previousText=teecino&ss=1&x=35&y=12&ntk=products&Ntt=teeccino

SoftFocus liked
MemberMember
(@smiles23)

Posted : 04/01/2014 6:24 pm

Hey I am the exact same!

I am a HUGE coffee lover I have been drinking one coffee a day for the past couple of years. I've been suffering from acne for a lot longer though, on and off, so I never considered this as a potential link.

However in the last two years when I was a heavy drinker (of coffee hehe) I started to break out around my mouth, and now my jaw/cheeks area. Same as you, small red itchy bumps that occasionally come out as whiteheads.

I drink my coffee with cream, but something is telling me it may be a caffeine intolerance! maybe dairy too, but I have cut dairy out of my diet accept for in my coffee.

Thing is, Im definitely thinking its a caffeine intolerance because I gave up dairy and coffee this summer by drinking large amounts of green tea (which has quite a bit of caffeine I'm told) instead for a couple weeks breakouts didn't go away or subside. This is telling me its a caffeine intolerance!

Have you cut coffee out? how is your skin?

MemberMember
(@user143021)

Posted : 04/02/2014 12:46 pm

Hey I am the exact same!

I am a HUGE coffee lover I have been drinking one coffee a day for the past couple of years. I've been suffering from acne for a lot longer though, on and off, so I never considered this as a potential link.

However in the last two years when I was a heavy drinker (of coffee hehe) I started to break out around my mouth, and now my jaw/cheeks area. Same as you, small red itchy bumps that occasionally come out as whiteheads.

I drink my coffee with cream, but something is telling me it may be a caffeine intolerance! maybe dairy too, but I have cut dairy out of my diet accept for in my coffee.

Thing is, Im definitely thinking its a caffeine intolerance because I gave up dairy and coffee this summer by drinking large amounts of green tea (which has quite a bit of caffeine I'm told) instead for a couple weeks breakouts didn't go away or subside. This is telling me its a caffeine intolerance!

Have you cut coffee out? how is your skin?

The amount of caffeine in green tea is ~20-40mg per 8 oz. (240 mL). The amount in coffee is ~95-200mg per 8 oz. (240 mL).

Quite a difference, but I suppose if you drank enough green tea the caffeine could still affect you if you actually have an intolerance. You could try cutting out caffeine for a few months to see if your skin reacts. For me personally, caffeine has no noticeable effect on my skin.

Here is another thought to add to the discussion... perhaps it's not actually caffeine intolerance that is cause, but rather vitamin/mineral deficiencies. Drinking a lot of coffee can deplete/decrease absorption of a lot of essential vitamins like thiamine (vitamin B1), inositol, etc. Now that I am supplementing with the appropriate vitamins and minerals, hormonal treatment doesn't seem as necessary. Just a thought. (:

MemberMember
(@celandine)

Posted : 10/07/2014 9:45 am

This is an older topic, but I just had to add my experience. Coffee absolutely can cause acne. When I was in my teens i had fairly severe acne. I thought it was processed food causing the acne. I would try very hard not to eat any of that stuff but if I made a mistake one day and had a cookie or something acne would blossom all over my face. And not just tiny red bumps, but big ones, medium sized ones... I was big coffee lover during those years and I'd drink three mugs a day religously.

Then one day I came down with Salmonella and I didn't feel like even drinking anything that day (so no coffee). I noticed the next morning that my skin looked quite a bit better and not so red. After not being able to eat or drink the next day, my skin was really showing an improvement like never before. I suspected caffeine and so I totally cut it out and I experimented by taking sweets at the same time.

What happened was my skin began to heal. New zits stopped coming up and old zits were healing and my face was looking whiter and actually started to clear up. I can eat whatever I want now, as long as I don't consume any caffeine. When I first made the discovery I went around for a couple of days eating all the sweets I could find. At first I only had to stop drinking coffee for my face to clear up, but then my system got more sensitive to smaller amounts of caffeine and I've had to stop drinking regular tea and green tea. I can still have some caffeine in a very trace amount, like a square of chocolate.

That being said, if you do have acne, when you eat healthy and avoid processed food and especially sugar, your skin seems to heal faster, especially from post-inflammatory hyper-pigmentation. That's because fruits and vegetables have vitamins and minerals that affect your skin positively. Drinking lots of water makes a lot of difference too. But it's nice to be able to have a piece of cake or ice cream once in awhile. Occasionally I still have a cup of coffee and on those days I make sure to completely cut out the junk food.

I can't scientifically explain this problem with caffeine. I want to add that I had cystic, hormonal acne. I had been diagnosed with it by my doctor. It wasn't just a rash from an allergic reaction. Anyway, hope this helps.

MemberMember
(@jenjen84)

Posted : 10/14/2014 10:44 pm

I love coffee but I believe it does:(

MemberMember
(@haveyoutried)

Posted : 11/27/2015 11:00 pm

I'm a big fan of coffee but every time that I drink it, I notice that my hyper-pigmentation scars get more inflamed and red. My skin also gets more oily, and it just feels really greasy. I then started to cut down on the coffee, switched to decaf, and eventually stopped drinking it all together. My breakouts aren't completely gone, but they have lessened. Cutting out the caffeine made more of a difference than just having a clean diet, for me.

MemberMember
(@henry-marquez)

Posted : 08/14/2017 2:42 am

coffee is absolutely making your bodys hormonal stress response. stress hormones will trigger acne. Your insulin will pumped out by those stress hormones. source: https://pimplesremedyideas.com/does-coffee-cause-acne/