Notifications
Clear all

15 Year Old Female- Roaccutane Uk- Let's Do This! (Pictures Included)

MemberMember
(@eatsrainbows)

Posted : 05/16/2013 11:12 am

Hola!

I have had acne for the past 3 years. I hate what it's done to the way I look and ultimately the way I feel about myself (but I won't spend too long complaining about acne, as I guess you guys all understand completely).

I have been on Lymecycline (Tetracyline) and Dianette (BC) for more than 8 months and although I've seen improvements, I'm still getting more acne. More acne means more scarring and the thought of even more scarring is just unbearable, so I've decided to give Roaccutane (Accutane) a go.

Here in the UK, being prescribed Roaccutane on the NHS isn't the easiest thing and my experience with the NHS has been a little complicated, so I won't go into it now but if you're interested then please ask me and I'd be happy to explain smile.png

Since I'm female, I had to discuss the whole pregnancy prevention plan, however, since I'm not sexually active, I've decided to opt out of it. My derm recommended that I still continue to take Dianette for the first couple of months of my treatment because she didn't want me to stop it, have all my acne return to how it used to be and then to be hit with an initial breakout from the Roaccutane as well.

I'm afraid that there's quite a few details that I don't yet know about my treatment. I know that I am starting at 20mg per day and my derm has said that this will eventually be moved up to 50mg per day (I weigh 52kg). The thing I forgot to ask (me being a complete numpty) is how long my course will be for but I will ask at my next appointment.

This is how my skin looks today:

post-197330-0-12572600-1368719710_thumb. post-197330-0-96191500-1368719711_thumb.

This is a picture that I took about a few weeks ago in horrendous light....

post-197330-0-09926700-1368719861.jpg

(please excuse the double chin... wink.png I was lying down!!)

I have been making this decision for the past 6 months and have done literally hours of research before deciding that I'm going to do this. I have learnt so much from reading other people's logs, that I thought it was only fair that I started one of my own and so... here it is!

If you have any questions at all then I'd love to hear from you, just ask ahead! Also, any top tips for a first time Accutane user? Any advice would be much appreciated smile.png

MemberMember
(@eatsrainbows)

Posted : 05/17/2013 10:14 am

So I decided to take my pills after my dinner in the evening. I took my first pill last night.

Day 2

Obviously, no shocking side effects yet and no changes to my skin. I felt pretty rough today, but I think this was only because I didn't sleep very well as I was so nervous about this whole process.

I thought I'd share my facial routine with you lot:

Every morning and evening I was my face with warm water and a flannel and use Neutrogena Visibly Clear 2 in 1 Wash and Mask. I really recommend this product is you're looking for a very gentle cleanser.

Then I apply Bio Oil and Emu Oil to the areas of scarring and hyperpigmentation on my face.

My derm recommended that I wear a daily sun cream (I have very fair skin) and she recommended sunsense. I have just ordered Sunsense Daily Face SPF50+ Sunscreen but I'm afraid that I could only buy one with an "invisible tint finish" and I'm hopeless with makeup.

Does anyone know of any tips on how to apply this without it looking streaky or overly orange? Thanks :)

MemberMember
(@mjri94)

Posted : 05/17/2013 2:55 pm

Hey! Fellow NHS Roaccutane-er here too :) If things start getting worse, its a good sign, mine got way worse before it started improving but it does get better

For me the 1st week was very rough and a struggle to get through but it was worth it, just remember the end goal you are going for! I think I made the mistake of focusing too much on the side effects and initial breakout rather than the end goal

Anyway, good luck!

MemberMember
(@eatsrainbows)

Posted : 05/18/2013 6:39 am

Hey! Fellow NHS Roaccutane-er here too smile.png If things start getting worse, its a good sign, mine got way worse before it started improving but it does get better

For me the 1st week was very rough and a struggle to get through but it was worth it, just remember the end goal you are going for! I think I made the mistake of focusing too much on the side effects and initial breakout rather than the end goal

Anyway, good luck!

Hi there!

What made your first week so tough (just so I can prepare myself)? When did things start to eventually get better for you?

Thank you, it means a lot smile.png Good luck you Roaccutane-er (that name is genius wink.png )!!

MemberMember
(@beavinator)

Posted : 05/18/2013 8:36 am

Hey there! My first week I had no side effects which was really odd, but at day 10 it hit me :P

Its great to see someone else on Roaccutane around the same time as me! Also try not to think too much about the Roaccutane, I understand it is a long process.

Keep it up! :D

MemberMember
(@nomoredottodot)

Posted : 05/18/2013 9:20 am

So I decided to take my pills after my dinner in the evening. I took my first pill last night.

Day 2

Obviously, no shocking side effects yet and no changes to my skin. I felt pretty rough today, but I think this was only because I didn't sleep very well as I was so nervous about this whole process.

Every morning and evening I was my face with warm water and a flannel and use Neutrogena Visibly Clear 2 in 1 Wash and Mask. I really recommend this product is you're looking for a very gentle cleanser.

Then I apply Bio Oil and Emu Oil to the areas of scarring and hyperpigmentation on my face.

My derm recommended that I wear a daily sun cream (I have very fair skin) and she recommended sunsense. I have just ordered Sunsense Daily Face SPF50+ Sunscreen but I'm afraid that I could only buy one with an "invisible tint finish" and I'm hopeless with makeup.

Does anyone know of any tips on how to apply this without it looking streaky or overly orange? Thanks :)

Hey!

Pleased to see you're finally on it :) Look forward to following your progress. In regards to how long the course is, it's typically between 4-6 months. But it really does depend on the individual as can be extended if needed, so I think it's just a case of waiting to see how your skin responds to get a clearer idea of how long you will be on it.

Sun cream? I don't think it will be noticeable enough for it it to go streaky/too orange. After all it is just sun cream and people slap it on on the beach so I wouldn't worry about this one having a tint to it and having to apply it carefully.

MemberMember
(@eatsrainbows)

Posted : 05/18/2013 9:35 am

Hey there! My first week I had no side effects which was really odd, but at day 10 it hit me tongue.png

Its great to see someone else on Roaccutane around the same time as me! Also try not to think too much about the Roaccutane, I understand it is a long process.

Keep it up! biggrin.png

Helloooo! It's my acne peep buddy! I finally got the drug!

Oh now I can't wait until day 10... wink.png

This is great, especially since we're both from the UK smile.png Is this your first course of Roaccutane?

Thanks for the advice, I can't STOP thinking about it!! These past 3 days have gone incredibly slowly, I hope that this aspect of the process gets better.

Thank you, you too! You're so lucky you don't have to go through all the stuff that females have to. Even though I'm only 14 (15 next week... so excited!) I still had to pee in a pot for them so they could test I wasn't preggo. This is one of those times that I wish I was a boy because it would seem that they gave me the smallest pot in the world to aim for... wink.png

Anyway, good luck!

Day 2

Does anyone know of any tips on how to apply this without it looking streaky or overly orange? Thanks smile.png

Hey!

Pleased to see you're finally on it smile.png Look forward to following your progress. In regards to how long the course is, it's typically between 4-6 months. But it really does depend on the individual as can be extended if needed, so I think it's just a case of waiting to see how your skin responds to get a clearer idea of how long you will be on it.

Sun cream? I don't think it will be noticeable enough for it it to go streaky/too orange. After all it is just sun cream and people slap it on on the beach so I wouldn't worry about this one having a tint to it and having to apply it carefully.

Hi, it's youuuuu! Thanks, I'm so glad (and relieved) too :)

Muchas gracias, that's just what I'd hoped to hear, I will just be careful with it. I'll let you know if I turn into an oompa loompa! ;)

You wouldn't believe what I had to go through to get these drugs. I signed the form saying I would opt out of the pregnancy prevention plan and my derm gave me the prescription form. However, the pharmacy wouldn't give me the prescription because I needed a stamp saying that I'd had a negative pregnancy test. So back to the derm I went, I peed in an impossibly small pot (how do people do this?! Is there some kind of technique to it?!!) and I got the bloody stamp.

Then the pharmacy would only give me one months worth of pills (even though the prescription was for two months because I won't see my derm again for more than one month) so I had to go back to the derm for another stamp saying I was exempt from all the whole pregnancy testing thing. It was an absolute nightmare. Rant over. I just can't wait until my next visit!

MemberMember
(@beavinator)

Posted : 05/18/2013 9:39 am

Helloooo! It's my acne peep buddy! I finally got the drug!

Oh now I can't wait until day 10... wink.png

This is great, especially since we're both from the UK smile.png Is this your first course of Roaccutane?

Thanks for the advice, I can't STOP thinking about it!! These past 3 days have gone incredibly slowly, I hope that this aspect of the process gets better.

Thank you, you too! You're so lucky you don't have to go through all the stuff that females have to. Even though I'm only 14 (15 next week... so excited!) I still had to pee in a pot for them so they could test I wasn't preggo. This is one of those times that I wish I was a boy because it would seem that they gave me the smallest pot in the world to aim for... wink.png

Anyway, good luck!

Yes! Acne Peep :P Yes this is my first course of Roaccutane. I keep losing count of days, just take the pills and forget about it :P

Ha! I'm so glad i'm a boy :D Happy B'day for next week.

MemberMember
(@mjri94)

Posted : 05/18/2013 11:32 am

Hey! Fellow NHS Roaccutane-er here too smile.png If things start getting worse, its a good sign, mine got way worse before it started improving but it does get better

Anyway, good luck!

Hi there!

What made your first week so tough (just so I can prepare myself)? When did things start to eventually get better for you?

Thank you, it means a lot smile.png Good luck you Roaccutane-er (that name is genius wink.png )!!

I started getting facial flushing and that horrible sunburn feeling on my face mildly at first but it started getting more and more intense, it did leave after a little while though but then the initial breakout came which was horrific, I had acne literally everywhere on my face at the worst point. That faded too but was replaced by a painful dry scalp and headaches that wouldn't go away. One thing after another!

But it was definitely worth putting up with them, I'd say it was more like 11 days rather than a week. It was rough but then again 11 days isn't much to sacrifice in the grand scheme of things at all. My skin is looking better everyday now, I'm really happy that I stuck with it because I honestly considered giving up saywhat.gif

MemberMember
(@electricbetty)

Posted : 05/18/2013 1:44 pm

That's interesting you're 14 and they still made you take a pregnancy test. I remember my friend took Roaccutane when she was the same age as you but they didn't make her take a test, her Mum would've gone mental if they'd even slightly implied she was sexually active! I think maybe it's something to do with the NHS, I went private and the hospital pharmacy gave me the whole prescription (12 boxes) in one go. Even though I did sign the pregnancy waiver thing, the only pregnancy discussion went thus:

Dr: "Do you think you could be pregnant?"
Me: "Absolutely not."

Dr: "Do you understand the risks if you do get pregnant?"

Me: "Yes."

Dr: "Righto. I'll just get that prescription written out..."

I feel so grateful when reading these forums that I live in the UK - the NHS isn't perfect by any means, as I say I had to go private due to waiting lists (apparently acne is purely cosmetic and does not merit being bumped up the queue for...), but at least it's not hundreds and hundreds of pounds...

MemberMember
(@helton)

Posted : 05/18/2013 10:43 pm

Hey, Accutane buddy! biggrin.png
Just dropped by and checked out your log.

Everything looks good and seems to be on track, and I can already tell you are going to clear up so beautifully! :)

One thing I do regarding sun protection, beside sunblock, I also use a visor whenever I am out in the sun biggrin.png

It's awesome, doesn't mess up my hair and I can easily take it off unlike regular hats smile.png

MemberMember
(@eatsrainbows)

Posted : 05/19/2013 2:01 am

That's interesting you're 14 and they still made you take a pregnancy test. I remember my friend took Roaccutane when she was the same age as you but they didn't make her take a test, her Mum would've gone mental if they'd even slightly implied she was sexually active! I think maybe it's something to do with the NHS, I went private and the hospital pharmacy gave me the whole prescription (12 boxes) in one go. Even though I did sign the pregnancy waiver thing, the only pregnancy discussion went thus:

Dr: "Do you think you could be pregnant?"

Me: "Absolutely not."

Dr: "Do you understand the risks if you do get pregnant?"

Me: "Yes."

Dr: "Righto. I'll just get that prescription written out..."

I feel so grateful when reading these forums that I live in the UK - the NHS isn't perfect by any means, as I say I had to go private due to waiting lists (apparently acne is purely cosmetic and does not merit being bumped up the queue for...), but at least it's not hundreds and hundreds of pounds...

Hmmmm, I think it has something to do with the NHS just wanting to cover themselves for absoooolutely everything smile.png

I totally agree with you about how lucky we are. When I read people talking about how they need Accutane but can't afford it, it breaks my heart sad.png

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck with your treatment smile.png

Hey, Accutane buddy! biggrin.png

Just dropped by and checked out your log.

Everything looks good and seems to be on track, and I can already tell you are going to clear up so beautifully! smile.png

One thing I do regarding sun protection, beside sunblock, I also use a visor whenever I am out in the sun biggrin.png

It's awesome, doesn't mess up my hair and I can easily take it off unlike regular hats smile.png

Helloooo! How nice to see you here wink.png

Thank you, I really hope so eusa_pray.gif

Good thinking Batman! Will definitely be investing in a sun visor for the summer months

. I just found a dancing cat so.... Happy Sunday from me and the cat! catdance.gif

MemberMember
(@eatsrainbows)

Posted : 05/19/2013 11:22 am

Day 4

Nothing to report yet. I just wanted to say that I woke up this morning feeling grateful for all the nice things that you guys said to me. It makes me realise how much support I have, and that means the world to me smile.png

What do you people take your Accutane with? I've seen people taking it with fish oil capsules. I was told not to take any supplements when on this, so is taking fish oil okay? I've also heard of people taking it with olive oil, although I don't want to eat tablespoons of olive oil so has anyone tried olive oil capsules?

Ahhhh so many questions!! Thanks guys :)

Helton liked
MemberMember
(@helton)

Posted : 05/19/2013 12:44 pm

Day 4

Nothing to report yet. I just wanted to say that I woke up this morning feeling grateful for all the nice things that you guys said to me. It makes me realise how much support I have, and that means the world to me smile.png

What do you people take your Accutane with? I've seen people taking it with fish oil capsules. I was told not to take any supplements when on this, so is taking fish oil okay? I've also heard of people taking it with olive oil, although I don't want to eat tablespoons of olive oil so has anyone tried olive oil capsules?

Ahhhh so many questions!! Thanks guys smile.png

I think the guideline is just for actual vitamin supplements, like Vitamin A. Although I don't think accutane is the same as just any vitamin A, I guess we shouldn't get anymore of it so it wouldn't be interfering.

However, things like oil shouldn't be a problem because it doesn't have any vitamins in it. smile.png

When you choose a olive oil capsule, just make sure it's organic, cold pressed, extra virgin and all that jazzzzzz, haha!

It could be beneficial, but not harmful as long as you are not eating excess amount of fat from other sources daily.

Plus, you don't really need to add more fat if you are taking the accutane pill with a normal meal cooked with oil.

Olive oil is nice though, people feed their puppies olive oil to make their fur shine. I would like my hair to shine, hehe badgrin.gif

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 05/19/2013 12:49 pm

guys drink lots of water.

also,moisturise if u feel dry at all.

after a good time u will see chapped lips,use vaseline.nicely.

maintain a good diet.

avoid sun.wear good high spf sunscreen with both chemical and physical barrier if u need to go out.

MemberMember
(@eatsrainbows)

Posted : 05/21/2013 1:14 pm

^^Thanks for all the advice smile.png

Day 6

No change in skin or mood but my lips feel drrrrryyyyyy. Not the cracking, lips falling off kind of dry, just the slightly sore type that need vaseline every hour.

Also, today I discovered a spot on my bum cheek. Not cool. I'm sure you wanted to know that.

So the side effects are starting to kick in, just in time for my birthday tomorrow. Fun times wink.png

No prizes for guessing what I'll be wishing for this year grinwink.gif

MemberMember
(@katietxx)

Posted : 05/22/2013 7:37 pm

hi smile.png

ok im new to this and nervous if any of my friends find this (not sure how/why they would be searching in this area of the internet though as they all have flawless skin dry.png ) If these awful pictures are found of me i will be scrutinized! Okay straight to it...

I'm 17 years old. I have spotty, oily, T-zone attacked skin and i have tried everything. Seriously everything on the UK market.

I know in terms of acne i am not that worse off compared to many others with extreme cystic acne, but mine is that type of skin, all over is a covering of under the skin spots. Every morning i have 'papules and pustules' appearing (in the words of my GP). Basically at least 3/4 new big red painful lumps usually, on my chin, nose and forehead. Followed by the most appealing white heads scattered around and my favourite - blackheads galore - nose chin head. It looks gross trust me!! I'm going to post some minging pictures now, a selection for you to have a look at - bearing in mind its not at its worst (girls you will understand - time of month bla bla.) The pictures , hard to believe are quite forgiving haha but trust me, ill upload some in the morning when its light out - you'll see!

so yeah pretty grotty! Basically i need advice - is my skin bad enough to go on Roaccutane? ive had all the GP's prescribed lotions, ointments, antibiotics and contraceptive pills you can imagine. Used each religiously how i was told to and nope, nothing! Didn't even budge. My mum very reluctant to let me go on Roaccutane (i still obviously go by her rules even though i am old enough to not have my mums permission haha) She knows how upset i get about my skin but due to all this stuff about side effects and stuff, she is really not keen. She believes i will be in this 2% of all users who will go crazy and become severely depressed/get kidney failure/die....

I know, a huge overreaction. There is being precautious and being just too damn over protective! There is no chance of me becoming pregnant bla bla i would consider myself extremely tame/sensible anything concerning stuff like that! ...What do i dooooo?! I am certain this will help!!! my skin isnt affected on my cheeks, i get the odd spot on my chest/back but nothing too serious there. HELP ME!!! is it worth it? Will i be accused of over reacting?

Rant over.... reply please smile.png xx

MemberMember
(@readytolive)

Posted : 05/22/2013 7:57 pm

interested to see how it works for you!

MemberMember
(@katietxx)

Posted : 05/22/2013 8:02 pm

If my mum ever lets me! Shall i just book an appointment with my GP and have a talk with her? Shes pretty nice and understanding - she offered to let me on it last time i visited her but again......my mum was like hmmmmm not sure better try the antibiotics again. Was pretty annoyed haha. Tried them again and no change!

MemberMember
(@eatsrainbows)

Posted : 05/23/2013 10:31 am

hi smile.png

ok im new to this and nervous if any of my friends find this (not sure how/why they would be searching in this area of the internet though as they all have flawless skin dry.png ) If these awful pictures are found of me i will be scrutinized! Okay straight to it...

I'm 17 years old. I have spotty, oily, T-zone attacked skin and i have tried everything. Seriously everything on the UK market.

I know in terms of acne i am not that worse off compared to many others with extreme cystic acne, but mine is that type of skin, all over is a covering of under the skin spots. Every morning i have 'papules and pustules' appearing (in the words of my GP). Basically at least 3/4 new big red painful lumps usually, on my chin, nose and forehead. Followed by the most appealing white heads scattered around and my favourite - blackheads galore - nose chin head. It looks gross trust me!! I'm going to post some minging pictures now, a selection for you to have a look at - bearing in mind its not at its worst (girls you will understand - time of month bla bla.) The pictures , hard to believe are quite forgiving haha but trust me, ill upload some in the morning when its light out - you'll see!

so yeah pretty grotty! Basically i need advice - is my skin bad enough to go on Roaccutane? ive had all the GP's prescribed lotions, ointments, antibiotics and contraceptive pills you can imagine. Used each religiously how i was told to and nope, nothing! Didn't even budge. My mum very reluctant to let me go on Roaccutane (i still obviously go by her rules even though i am old enough to not have my mums permission haha) She knows how upset i get about my skin but due to all this stuff about side effects and stuff, she is really not keen. She believes i will be in this 2% of all users who will go crazy and become severely depressed/get kidney failure/die....

I know, a huge overreaction. There is being precautious and being just too damn over protective! There is no chance of me becoming pregnant bla bla i would consider myself extremely tame/sensible anything concerning stuff like that! ...What do i dooooo?! I am certain this will help!!! my skin isnt affected on my cheeks, i get the odd spot on my chest/back but nothing too serious there. HELP ME!!! is it worth it? Will i be accused of over reacting?

Rant over.... reply please smile.png xx

I'll give it my best shot an answering this, but please remember I'm not a medical professional in any way. I'll message you :)

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 05/24/2013 8:31 am

If my mum ever lets me! Shall i just book an appointment with my GP and have a talk with her? Shes pretty nice and understanding - she offered to let me on it last time i visited her but again......my mum was like hmmmmm not sure better try the antibiotics again. Was pretty annoyed haha. Tried them again and no change!

did u add a new post about ur experience and try?

i think u should.

MemberMember
(@eatsrainbows)

Posted : 06/01/2013 11:23 am

Day 17

So I'm definitely noticing this drug kick in now. A few days ago my face started to sting and went bright red after I washed my face and my skin went dry and flaky, so I went to my local chemist and asked what they recommend I wash my face with. The answer was Aqueous Cream, which I have now been using in the morning and in the evening and it hasn't irritated or dried out my skin at all- in fact it's moisturised it too!

My lips are still dry, as is my face if I don't cover it with Emu Oil (my very greasy best friend). Around day 14 I went surfing (I've been on holiday). This was a BIG mistake as it made my face red, dry and sore and I had a rash all over my neck and chest (I think this was from cramming myself into a wetsuit). I didn't go in the sea or the swimming pool for the rest of my holiday, which sucked, but eventually my face returned to its natural colour so it was worth it :)

MemberMember
(@eatsrainbows)

Posted : 06/05/2013 11:07 am

Day 22

Initial breakout has kicked in the past week. My entire face is covered in tiny spots and my skin feels (and looks) very rough. Normally I would exfoliate if my face felt this rough, but obviously that's not an option at the mo *sighhhhh*

Lips and skin still as dry as ever. Have started using baby lotion on my face as a moisturiser and baby oil on the rest of my body (after showering) as my skin so super sensitive that anything else seems to upset it.

My eyes have been itchy and a little sore over the past couple of days. My derm mentioned that my eyes might get dry and if they did I should start using eye drops.

Do you think this itchiness is my eyes getting dry? Help would be much appreciated :)

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 06/05/2013 2:35 pm

For sure pick yourself up some eye drops. I swear if there is a product for moisturizing every area of your body on accutane you will need it as some point. Ears, nose, lips, eyes, I have read logs where people's butts get raw and bleed. The medication is crazy. When I was on accutane the eye drops I used were ayr brand and they were gel. So they worked a lot better than the drops.

MemberMember
(@eatsrainbows)

Posted : 06/07/2013 1:02 pm

Day 24

Thanks for the advice :)

I brought some eye drops from Boots today that are designed for dry eyes so I'll see how I get on.

I have the strangest rash on my foot. It's only on my last 3 toes and it's made the skin is lumpy. It's not at all red but it is really itchy. I have never had anything like it, the side of my toe is an odd shape because of a large squishy lump on the side of it. It's so weird.

I tried putting insect bite cream and Sudocrem on it to help the itching but they had not effect.

I was planning to make a appointment to see my GP about it, but I'll see my derm at the hospital on the 17th May and I don't suppose I'll be able to get a Dr's appointment before then anyway. I will show my derm when I see her next Monday.

Helton liked