Notifications
Clear all

Did Birth Control Work For You?

MemberMember
(@bluegreeneyed)

Posted : 05/15/2013 4:13 pm

Hey! I was curious if the ladies that got on birth control for their acne saw results. I'm not so sure if mine is hormonal or not, but my derm suggested I get on it if the other options do not work. So how did it clear y'all up? How long did it take to see results? Did it even work? & what brand were you on when you saw the best results?

MemberMember
(@armadillo)

Posted : 05/15/2013 4:30 pm

I would say yes. I'm on my 3rd month of Gedarel 30/150. But my skin was already pretty much clear from the antibiotic I was on, so how do I know it's working?

a) my acne has not come back so far b) my skin is a lot less oily.

But it depends entirely on what type of birth control it is, not all of them reduce acne, some actually make it worse...

MemberMember
(@flaxen)

Posted : 05/15/2013 4:43 pm

It worked amazingly well for my sister. Both sides of her face were always covered in cystic acne and now she rarely has any acne at all! It did take a long time though, she was actually offered Accutane because she still hadn't cleared up after a few months but she didn't want Accutane and a few months later (about 6 I think) she was cured just by the birth control (generic dianette) -she doesn't use any topicals at all. I take it as well now but I don't think I am any better than when I was just using bp. (I have been on it 6 months.) But my derm thinks my acne is being made worse by a medication I take so if it weren't for that maybe it would work for me too. I would definitely recommend giving it a go. And on the is it or isn't it hormonal question, my derm said ALL acne is hormonal... What have you got to lose?I personally didn't get any side effects, I know some people do but I think they're minor, at least it's nothing like Accutane!

MemberMember
(@auguriesofinnocence)

Posted : 05/16/2013 10:47 am

Yes.

I had acne since I was 12 or so, never severe until last year.

I have tried everything, bp worked well until I developed cystic acne last year. After trying a horrific month of accutane (dont go there) I was soon after diagnosed with PCOS which makes acne worse in most women. I begain taking yaz along with an anti-DHT supplement. WIthin 3-4 months my skin was clear and it still is.

I dont know why birth control doesnt work for everyone and seems to make some women's acne worse. Delicate balance of hormones Im sure but who knows the specifics? I do know that yaz has a spironolactone-type med but not at a high dose. For me, it is the most effective thing Ive done for acne. Sure there are risks and you cant take it forever but Im not worried about that for the time being.

MemberMember
(@bluegreeneyed)

Posted : 05/16/2013 11:21 am

It worked amazingly well for my sister. Both sides of her face were always covered in cystic acne and now she rarely has any acne at all! It did take a long time though, she was actually offered Accutane because she still hadn't cleared up after a few months but she didn't want Accutane and a few months later (about 6 I think) she was cured just by the birth control (generic dianette) -she doesn't use any topicals at all. I take it as well now but I don't think I am any better than when I was just using bp. (I have been on it 6 months.) But my derm thinks my acne is being made worse by a medication I take so if it weren't for that maybe it would work for me too. I would definitely recommend giving it a go. And on the is it or isn't it hormonal question, my derm said ALL acne is hormonal... What have you got to lose?I personally didn't get any side effects, I know some people do but I think they're minor, at least it's nothing like Accutane!

Really? All acne is hormonal? Yeah I have done my research on accutane and I will NEVER take it, I have heard horror stories on that stuff..I would rather deal with acne than risk complications with the medication

Yes.

I have tried everything, bp worked well until I developed cystic acne last year. After trying a horrific month of accutane (dont go there) I was soon after diagnosed with PCOS which makes acne worse in most women. I begain taking yaz along with an anti-DHT supplement. WIthin 3-4 months my skin was clear and it still is.

I dont know why birth control doesnt work for everyone and seems to make some women's acne worse. Delicate balance of hormones Im sure but who knows the specifics? I do know that yaz has a spironolactone-type med but not at a high dose. For me, it is the most effective thing Ive done for acne. Sure there are risks and you cant take it forever but Im not worried about that for the time being.

What's anti-DHT? I'm not really worried about the risks of birth control a lot of women are on it for years and years (my mother) and never have anything go wrong so I'm not worried either! Oh also I have another question, should I go back to my derm and get the birth control prescribed by her, or could I just go to a general doctor for a check up and ask for a certain type of birth control? (Like Yaz)

MemberMember
(@kissses)

Posted : 05/16/2013 11:41 am

I went on birth control because my hormones were super unbalanced and doing scary things. So, in that sense, I probably get less hormonal breakouts. It didn't do anything drastic though; I think my skin was just more "active" when I was a younger teen vs. now. I guess if you already know what causes your acne it may be very helpful. Also does the type of birth control make a difference?

MemberMember
(@michi31)

Posted : 05/16/2013 12:14 pm

Yes.

What is the anti-DHT supplement you take?

MemberMember
(@auguriesofinnocence)

Posted : 05/16/2013 6:39 pm

DHT is a hormone offshoot of testosterone. It causes, among other things, an increase of skin oil and acne. Most men and women who have acne beyond age 20 or so have either too much DHT or are very sensitive to normal amounts, like diabetics are sensitive to sugar/insuling levels...anti-DHT supplements stop this hormone from affecting your skin. Birth control, spiro and certain herbal supplements like saw palmetto or spearmint also do this. Im not sure if derms can prescribe birth control, Id go to a gyno or your regular doctor and ask about yaz or which birth control is recommended for your acne. Derms can prescribe spiro. Remember bc pills and/or spiro take at least 3 months to notice a difference. For me, once I cleared up I remained clear.

I

Really? All acne is hormonal? Yeah I have done my research on accutane and I will NEVER take it, I have heard horror stories on that stuff..I would rather deal with acne than risk complications with the medication

>Yes.

What's anti-DHT? I'm not really worried about the risks of birth control a lot of women are on it for years and years (my mother) and never have anything go wrong so I'm not worried either! Oh also I have another question, should I go back to my derm and get the birth control prescribed by her, or could I just go to a general doctor for a check up and ask for a certain type of birth control? (Like Yaz)

Hairomega 3-in-1. Its marketed as a product to help thinning hair but it also helps with oily skin and combatting DHT.

Yes.

MemberMember
(@bluegreeneyed)

Posted : 05/17/2013 1:11 pm

DHT is a hormone offshoot of testosterone. It causes, among other things, an increase of skin oil and acne. Most men and women who have acne beyond age 20 or so have either too much DHT or are very sensitive to normal amounts, like diabetics are sensitive to sugar/insuling levels...anti-DHT supplements stop this hormone from affecting your skin. Birth control, spiro and certain herbal supplements like saw palmetto or spearmint also do this. Im not sure if derms can prescribe birth control, Id go to a gyno or your regular doctor and ask about yaz or which birth control is recommended for your acne. Derms can prescribe spiro. Remember bc pills and/or spiro take at least 3 months to notice a difference. For me, once I cleared up I remained clear.

I

>Yes.

Hairomega 3-in-1. Its marketed as a product to help thinning hair but it also helps with oily skin and combatting DHT.

Yes.

Thank you very much for all the info!! Hopefully if I get on BC it will work for me ***fingers crossed!!**