Notifications
Clear all

For Narnia! 17/male

MemberMember
(@jikstah)

Posted : 05/15/2013 2:04 am

The plunge has been taken, the Accutane on deck.

My story so far.

Acne hasn't been a lingering issue for me for most of my short life, until 7 months ago when I broke out heavily on my chin. They were just normal pimples that eventually came to a head, nothing too serious... yet. It got worse, with my chin starting to resemble the Himalayas. I sought out help, my first step was Sebaceous Gland Ablation (SGA) which aimed to eliminate problem glands. 3 treatments later, it had not worked. Money down the drain. Next, my cousins had been visiting an aesthetician which seemed to be working, so my mum forced me to go. It was the worst. Imagine just pure pimple popping for like half an hour, plus a vacuum (microdermabrasion) sucking on your face with the added spice of injections. It worked!... for a few weeks. In the school holidays soon after, I started to develop cystic acne and more weeks after that nodules. And then here I find myself with a moderately-severe case of acne and a box full of Accutane.

I'll be updating weekly!

Thank you.

Here are some pictures - pre-accutane.

post-207580-0-93115600-1368601895_thumb.

post-207580-0-96430500-1368601898_thumb.

post-207580-0-71167400-1368601901_thumb.

post-207580-0-93115600-1368601895_thumb.

post-207580-0-96430500-1368601898_thumb.

post-207580-0-71167400-1368601901_thumb.

MemberMember
(@ruweyda)

Posted : 05/15/2013 2:17 am

update your progress....and GOOD LUCK!!!

MemberMember
(@jikstah)

Posted : 05/15/2013 4:28 am

update your progress....and GOOD LUCK!!!

I will, thank you!

MemberMember
(@oceanic)

Posted : 05/15/2013 1:12 pm

Yay! You made a log. :)

I hate cystic acne, I feel for you. I hope accutane works for you. Good luck!

Oh and since I'm planning on taking accutane too, I have some questions that I was going to save for the derm, but I'd like to hear from you too. What are you planning on using for your face during accutane? And is there a certain time that it is better to take accutane, like in the morning or night?

MemberMember
(@wellgetbetter)

Posted : 05/16/2013 12:44 am

i hope accutane will help you with your acne. i'm on month 5 right now and pretty much clear. it will work but it takes time, be patient! Around the end of month 4 i was so doubtful about it but now it actually helped me clear my skin.

My advice: take accutane with something fatty. i don't recommend anything dairy so Peanut Butter is a good choice.

MemberMember
(@jikstah)

Posted : 05/16/2013 3:31 am

Yay! You made a log. smile.png

I hate cystic acne, I feel for you. I hope accutane works for you. Good luck!

Oh and since I'm planning on taking accutane too, I have some questions that I was going to save for the derm, but I'd like to hear from you too. What are you planning on using for your face during accutane? And is there a certain time that it is better to take accutane, like in the morning or night?

Woo! Thanks for the luck, but I'm afraid I won't need it ;)

I'm planning to only use a Cetaphil facial cleanser and just a moisturizer which I haven't chosen yet, probably Cetaphil too.

As for certain times, I'm not sure but I don't think there is a "best time" so to speak. Just make sure to take it around the same time every day/night. I take it at night just so that it can take effect overnight and not into the day.

i hope accutane will help you with your acne. i'm on month 5 right now and pretty much clear. it will work but it takes time, be patient! Around the end of month 4 i was so doubtful about it but now it actually helped me clear my skin.

My advice: take accutane with something fatty. i don't recommend anything dairy so Peanut Butter is a good choice.

Thank you for the insight! :) Good luck to you, you seem to be near the end. What's your dosage?

MemberMember
(@jikstah)

Posted : 05/20/2013 11:57 pm

Week 1

Dosage: 20mg - daily

Acne: Moderately severe - 2 new cysts since I started, one MASSIVE bulge on my right cheekbone neutral.gif

Side effects: - Slightly dry lips and skin - no cracking! Back aches? I don't even know if it's even correlated, but after basketball yesterday my back ached for a bit. Nothing I can't handle though!

Experience Rating: Smooth sailing. Nothing serious happening, not a lot of change.

(How do you guys like this format?)

Throw me questions if you have any!

MemberMember
(@lukatoll)

Posted : 05/22/2013 12:14 am

Hey man! Congrats on starting accutane! I'm also currently taking it and am on day 48! Good luck with your journey and I will be following your log!

MemberMember
(@oceanic)

Posted : 05/22/2013 11:28 am

How often do you normally break out?

And I went to the derm a couple days ago and I'm starting accutane too! But I have to wait a month because I have to have 2 negative pregnancy tests before I start. Boo. sad.png But, at least, I got the first steps out of the way.

MemberMember
(@jikstah)

Posted : 05/23/2013 4:30 am

Hey man! Congrats on starting accutane! I'm also currently taking it and am on day 48! Good luck with your journey and I will be following your log!

Waddup! Yeah man, feels good to be on it - mentally.. maybe not physically lol.

Good luck to you too!

How often do you normally break out?

And I went to the derm a couple days ago and I'm starting accutane too! But I have to wait a month because I have to have 2 negative pregnancy tests before I start. Boo. sad.png But, at least, I got the first steps out of the way.

I don't know how often.. I don't really keep tabs on it. Maybe daily? :|

Congrats on getting started!.. sorta. :)

MemberMember
(@jikstah)

Posted : 05/28/2013 3:39 am

Week 2

Acne: Moderately severe - The long nodule that I've had on my right cheek for a few months has flattened and is pretty much gone! And that newer nodule on my cheekbone went down, although still active. Breakouts under my mouth, 4-5 pimples under there since Week 1, initial breakout? And I still have a couple cysts on my left cheekbone. Face is generally smoother, disregarding my mouth area.

Side effects: - Dry lips and facial skin definitely kicking in - lip balming frequently throughout the day. I'm using Lucas' Papaw Ointment which does fine for a few hours. Nose bleeds started last night and then a minor one in the morning, anyone know how to prevent them? I hear Vaseline may be bad for your lungs, if I put some up there. :|

Experience Rating: Still smooth sailing. Dryness is definitely here.

Query me.

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 05/28/2013 9:25 am

You could do saline up our nose. I used a product called ayr Gel which was recommended from a ENT for my daughter who gets bad bloody noses. So that is what I used to prevent mine works like a charm and is meant to go up your nose lol. Here's a link.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/ayr-saline-nasal-gel/ID=prod4998-product

MemberMember
(@jikstah)

Posted : 06/05/2013 2:48 am

Week 3

Acne: Moderate - I honestly don't think my 'active' acne can be classed as moderately-severe any more. I'M STOKED! I have one nodule which is pretty much flat, and only 10-12 active acne (most of which are under the skin still) which ranges from small pustules to a couple bigger cysts. My face is so much smoother than what it was a month ago. Although this has all left me with severe scarring sad.png. Hyperpigmentation and stuff.

Side effects: - Dry lips and facial skin of course, my face is a lot drier than before though. No more nose bleeds after than one day/night. Back pain is definitely a side effect I'm experiencing, especially after sport. Nothing too new is affecting me, fingers crossed this is all! eusa_think.gif

Experience Rating: Happy. I don't know if it actually is the Accutane but my face has improved decently. No road bumps. A-.

Query me.

MemberMember
(@jikstah)

Posted : 06/12/2013 5:20 am

Week 4

Acne: Mildly Moderate - ZERO nodules! 2-3 cysts under the skin. And a few scattered, mostly unnoticeable, pustular breakouts. Left with mild pitted scarring and moderate hyperpigmentation.

Side effects: - Still the same old dry skin, lips, casual back pain in the morning - after sport. No new effects.

Experience Rating: Very happy! How is this even possible? One month and all nasty acne is gone! I will post pics when I get the chance.

AMAZED.

MemberMember
(@oceanic)

Posted : 06/12/2013 10:27 am

Some people are lucky and see a lot of improvement in just one month. I guess you're one of the lucky ones! :) *knock on wood*

Is the scarring from before or after accutane?

MemberMember
(@jikstah)

Posted : 06/13/2013 6:12 am

Some people are lucky and see a lot of improvement in just one month. I guess you're one of the lucky ones! smile.png *knock on wood*

:D

I'd say it would be a mix of both. I had minor scarring before, but now there's more, so I'd say it happened after starting.

How are your ventures, Miss Oceanic?

MemberMember
(@oceanic)

Posted : 06/13/2013 8:31 am

Some people are lucky and see a lot of improvement in just one month. I guess you're one of the lucky ones! smile.png *knock on wood*

biggrin.png

I'd say it would be a mix of both. I had minor scarring before, but now there's more, so I'd say it happened after starting.

Ah, I am a little worried about the potentiality of scarring. Maybe the scars are from all the dryness caused by accutane?

I still have to wait one more week and then I can finally start accutane! My appointment is set for the 21st. But, I've been gradually getting ready for accutane, buying some aquaphor, cerave and soon some strong sunscreen. So, I'll be about 5 weeks behind you. :P

MemberMember
(@jikstah)

Posted : 06/14/2013 5:56 am

biggrin.png

Ah, I am a little worried about the potentiality of scarring. Maybe the scars are from all the dryness caused by accutane?

I still have to wait one more week and then I can finally start accutane! My appointment is set for the 21st. But, I've been gradually getting ready for accutane, buying some aquaphor, cerave and soon some strong sunscreen. So, I'll be about 5 weeks behind you. tongue.png

I think the potentiality is always going to be there when acne is present. :|

Idk, does the dryness cause scarring?

And thats awesome! Yeah, it's good to be prepared - to be honest, I still don't have a solid moisturizer!

Hopefully you'll receive such good results! :D

MemberMember
(@oceanic)

Posted : 06/14/2013 10:34 am

biggrin.png

I still have to wait one more week and then I can finally start accutane! My appointment is set for the 21st. But, I've been gradually getting ready for accutane, buying some aquaphor, cerave and soon some strong sunscreen. So, I'll be about 5 weeks behind you. tongue.png

I think the potentiality is always going to be there when acne is present. neutral.gif

Idk, does the dryness cause scarring?

And thats awesome! Yeah, it's good to be prepared - to be honest, I still don't have a solid moisturizer!

Hopefully you'll receive such good results! biggrin.png

I've read that accutane can make scars worse or sometimes better. But, maybe, once you're off accutane and your skin starts healing properly, the scars will improve. And yeah, I think preventing breakouts is the best way to prevent scarring.

And yes, I hope so too. :) Oh, I have another question, how does the dryness compare to using benzoyl peroxide? If you have used bp before. :P

MemberMember
(@jikstah)

Posted : 06/14/2013 9:33 pm

I've read that accutane can make scars worse or sometimes better. But, maybe, once you're off accutane and your skin starts healing properly, the scars will improve. And yeah, I think preventing breakouts is the best way to prevent scarring.

And yes, I hope so too. smile.png Oh, I have another question, how does the dryness compare to using benzoyl peroxide? If you have used bp before. tongue.png

I haven't used BP! But for me, atleast, it isn't so dry that peeling occurs. Only to the point of being dry to the touch and some whiteness, which are more prevalent in other areas like my chin or upper lip. :)

MemberMember
(@oceanic)

Posted : 06/14/2013 11:16 pm

Oh, that's good then! BP makes me super flaky. I have to exfoliate to get rid of the flakes. So, I hope accutane isn't as drying. Though, I guess it depends mostly on the individual.:P

I hope you keep seeing improvement. It's awesome your nodular acne has cleared up, those are the worst!

MemberMember
(@jikstah)

Posted : 06/19/2013 4:27 am

Week 5

Acne: Mildly Moderate - So a nodule came up where your jaw meats your ear. -_-" Just as I was free! It isn't noticeable anyway, haha. A few smaller breakouts on my upper cheeks, which isn't a problemo.

Side effects: - Still the same old dry skin, lips, casual back pain in the morning - after sport. No new effects.

Experience Rating: Still amazed! A+ Should be seeing my derm in a few weeks to see how it's going for him.

MemberMember
(@jikstah)

Posted : 06/28/2013 9:46 pm

Week 6 and a 1/2 (late by 2 days)

Acne: Mild - That nodule has disappeared, a true testament to the power of accutane. Nothing noteworthy, my skin is oh so smooth and now I can class my acne as mild. I still have a few teeny tiny bumps but yeah, good enough!

Although I've noticed when I feel really hot/in a stuffy or warm area, my nose does bleed. It happened at a Korean BBQ restaurant where there was so much heat, air-conditioned car on a rainy day and in a stuffy classroom. It's more prevalent with Accutane that's for sure and it's winter here in Australia!

Experience Rating: My amazement has toned down lol. It's like, "Oh, it's been a week already?" There is not much to improve on now!

MemberMember
(@drphilippa)

Posted : 10/04/2013 2:42 am

Hi Jikstah

Just wondering where you had SGA performed? I am concerned that you were expecting your breakout to clear after 3 treatments, was this the advise you received from the Clinic or was this your expectation? SGA is very effective but people usually need 6 to 10 treatments to see a significant result.