Notifications
Clear all

So It's My Turn! 22/male/roaccutane

MemberMember
(@soulivan7)

Posted : 05/14/2013 8:53 am

Hey Guys, hows it going!

I'm Will, i'm 22 and i've had acne since i was 17 but it's never really been a problem, a couple of whitehead here and there every couple of weeks. But fast forward to last September, my acne started flaring up out of nowhere and i was slightly concerned because my skin was generally quite clear before. I went to my GP and i tried Lymecycline and there was no difference after a couple of months so i went back to get something else, i was given Erythromycin and that gave me an allergic reaction... jeez no luck whatsoever haha rolleyes.gif

So in January i was given Doxy with Differin gel and it did start to work and then after 3 months of it, my acne came back with a vengeance, so now my acne is the worst it's ever been. It's a mixture of Cystic and Nodular, it's not fun at all! Sooooo I've now decided to go on Roaccutane, i've had to go private so it's costing a fair amount but i think it's time. I could get it for free on the NHS but the referral from the hospital hasn't come through yet (Could be another 2-4 months) My acne really bothers me and i've got quite a lot of PIH which is quite annoying. I mainly get it on my t zone and on the cheeks and around the nose and mouth

I just got back from the derm and he's give me 40mg for 2 months but he said i should try 20mg for a week or so first (I'm 5"9 and weigh 67KG) Do you think i should take 20mg or just go for 40mg and hope for an early or no initial breakout? hmmm

I hate posting pictures but i wanted to see the progress (erghh) Thats about it then, i'll be updating a couple of times a week on my progress, GO GO GOOOOOO!!

day1m.jpg
MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 05/14/2013 10:14 am

Your breakouts are very very mild. Should work well but I would keep using the differin if I were you

MemberMember
(@soulivan7)

Posted : 05/14/2013 11:03 am

This has been a really calm week tbh, it's normally a lot worse but i don't have any pictures. Yeah i will do

MemberMember
(@nomoredottodot)

Posted : 05/14/2013 11:13 am

Good luck with your course. He's suggested you starting with 20mg for the first week or so to ease your body into it and reduce the chance of you having an initial breakout or harsh side effects. Those that go in with a high dose are more likely to suffer more with the side effects initially. I would do as he has advised. He knows what he is talking about :)

MemberMember
(@soulivan7)

Posted : 05/14/2013 2:14 pm

Good luck with your course. He's suggested you starting with 20mg for the first week or so to ease your body into it and reduce the chance of you having an initial breakout or harsh side effects. Those that go in with a high dose are more likely to suffer more with the side effects initially. I would do as he has advised. He knows what he is talking about smile.png

Thank you smile.png I think i'll take his advice and start off with the 20mg to see how my body copes, is there a certain time i need to take the dosage?

MemberMember
(@nomoredottodot)

Posted : 05/15/2013 1:08 am

Good luck with your course. He's suggested you starting with 20mg for the first week or so to ease your body into it and reduce the chance of you having an initial breakout or harsh side effects. Those that go in with a high dose are more likely to suffer more with the side effects initially. I would do as he has advised. He knows what he is talking about smile.png

Thank you smile.png I think i'll take his advice and start off with the 20mg to see how my body copes, is there a certain time i need to take the dosage?

I would just go for 7 days, then after that up it to 40mg.

MemberMember
(@soulivan7)

Posted : 05/15/2013 7:39 am

as in time of day? with or without food.. haha

MemberMember
(@nomoredottodot)

Posted : 05/16/2013 5:23 am

With or shortly after food. Read the enclosed leaflet!

MemberMember
(@soulivan7)

Posted : 05/19/2013 2:16 pm

Day 5 - The skin around my jawline and mouth has got a bit more flaky and is quite sore because of the dryness. Not much else to report on except for 2 whiteheads, no signs of an IB just yet :)

MemberMember
(@jamie-ann)

Posted : 05/19/2013 10:58 pm

Your acne looks a lot like mine now! Good luck on Accutane :)

MemberMember
(@soulivan7)

Posted : 05/20/2013 10:40 am

Your acne looks a lot like mine now! Good luck on Accutane smile.png

Hey! thanks alot, did Accutane work for you?

MemberMember
(@jamie-ann)

Posted : 05/23/2013 12:24 pm

I was clear for about a year before I started seeing my acne return. :( I'm starting my second course this month. However, I think I could have avoided the second course in my opinion. I started using a Clarasonic and started using other face washes and different cremes and topicals and I think I irritated my skin. My advice is if you're 100% clear after Accutane to just use a gentle cleanser and not annoy your face. I really do believe I could have avoided my second course if I had done those things! I was treated acne that wasn't there!

MemberMember
(@soulivan7)

Posted : 05/25/2013 7:09 pm

I was clear for about a year before I started seeing my acne return. sad.png I'm starting my second course this month. However, I think I could have avoided the second course in my opinion. I started using a Clarasonic and started using other face washes and different cremes and topicals and I think I irritated my skin. My advice is if you're 100% clear after Accutane to just use a gentle cleanser and not annoy your face. I really do believe I could have avoided my second course if I had done those things! I was treated acne that wasn't there!

Ohh that's quite unfortunate. Good luck with your 2nd course and i'll definitely be taking your advice for the future, i've got a long way to till that point though smile.png

Day 11 - I've noticed that my nose is full of tiny blackheads, it looks ridiculous up close. My acne has somehow improved compared to 2 weeks ago... no signs of an IB yet, i'm sort of bracing myself for it but maybe i won't get one... hmmm i doubt it?!? the spots i've been getting have all had a whitehead that i've just squeezed out.

MemberMember
(@soulivan7)

Posted : 06/02/2013 9:54 am

Day 18: My acne hasn't really changed much since last week, a few whiteheads have come to a head quickly and left red marks. I'm definitely seeing the effects of dry skin, my jawline and lips are painfully dry, so the moisturizer has been out in full force.

One problem is that i've been getting Milia (Milk Spots) right near me eyes, i have one right on the corner of my eyelid and i'm not sure what to do, it's rather painful!!

The good thing is that no cysts have come up :D

MemberMember
(@soulivan7)

Posted : 07/05/2013 11:20 am

Day 51 - I get the occasional spot but i don't seem to be getting massive cysts anymore so i'm happy with that. I still have these red marks on both side of my cheeks and i feel that there is still something brewing underneath my skin that's yet to come out..

My skin tone is awful though, it's really uneven and it looks far from blemish free which is annoying. I've got a derm appointment next week, i think i might ask the doc to increase my dosage to 60mg a day for the rest of my treatment. I'm still quite self conscious because of the marks but yeah i think things are improving.

I STILL haven't had an initial breakout though... hmmm, is that strange?

MemberMember
(@soulivan7)

Posted : 08/23/2013 3:11 pm

DAY 100

My skin condition has just stagnated since the last time i posted, i can still feel a lot of under the skin bumps and generally breakout a couple times a week. Got a massive cyst on my chin and my cheeks are all marked up with brown marks, i can feel a couple brewing under the surface..

I'm not really that happy with the progress but i guess i'll wait and see at the 4 month mark. Still on 40mg

Oh yeah, the dryness is the worst thing

MemberMember
(@soulivan7)

Posted : 09/12/2013 6:46 pm

120 days in..

i've got really bad eyes bags right now it looks like i've had no sleep for days, i looked up about it and it seems to be a side effect which possibly doesn't go away, looks really bad tbh. Skin condition seems to be quite smooth but i still have 2-3 actives.

I'd say my acne looks worse than when i started which isn't great because im starting my 5th month soon