Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Thanks for the reply. :o)

Um, there's not really much different at all, as I say it's the manufacturer, same everything really.

But:

The ingredients for both are as follows:

- Panthothenic Acid (Calcium Panthothenate)

- Microcrystaline Cellulose

- Magnesium Stearate

However, the new batch I have also has Dicalcium Phosphate contained in it. I'm not sure if this extra ingredient could/would have any difference?

Also, the new capsules are 500mg, the ones in the first pack that I was taking previously were 550mg. But to counter this, I did some calculations and just worked out how many more I'd need to take a day to get the same dosage, so I wouldn't have thought it'd make a difference (?). In fact I think it works out that I'm taking slightly more than before, which surely wouldn't affect my acne negatively, would it? Other than that, they are exactly the same.

In terms of dealing with it internally, I think I'm doing OK (at least I'd like to think so, hehe!). I'm taking a probiotic supplement each day, along with some Boots Acne Relief tablets, with burdock and sarsaparilla etc in (not sure if that's the one you're taking too?). Also, my diet is good - I'm on what is basically a G.I. Diet, so I'm eating almost literally nothing that you'd think would affect my acne.

B5 hadn't cleared me completely, but it was definitely taking me in the right direction - I think. I'd check myself in the mirror for an overall review of how things were going at the beginning of each new month, and there was a steady improvement each time.

I don't know where I'm going wrong, it's so disheartening.

Cynic,

Wow, I don't know where you could be going wrong either. I'm taking the liver herbs in tincture form, because I think it is more effective than tablets, since herbs are delicate and any processing makes them less potent. It seems like we're doing a lot of the same things. I don't know why I would be having success and you wouldn't. That sucks. I honestly don't know which of the things I'm doing is keeping me clear or if it's a combo of all of them, OR if it's just residual effects of the B5.

Could you tell me where you were buying your B5 from, please? I'm still toying with the idea of changing brands and starting again if things continue to look bad after a while without the salicylic acid wash. :o)

Could you tell me where you were buying your B5 from, please? I'm still toying with the idea of changing brands and starting again if things continue to look bad after a while without the salicylic acid wash. :o)

Wow, that really sucks. I don't know what to suggest except to say that I have been using Solaray Brand Pantothenic Acid for months now with great success. This is my favorite. I buy it at Whole Foods Market. Are you also taking one B-Complex 100 daily and 1,000 mcg of biotin 4 times daily? That may help.

It could possibly be the SA wash. I think it may have contributerd to my problem to be honest, not sure. My face has EXPLODED over the last couple of weeks, and thats when i introduced a neutrogena SA face wash, morning and night.... Now my face is absolutely shocking, the worst it has even been in my life. I have been taking at least 5g of B5 a day for the past 2.5 months too.

I will be starting accutane next week sad.gif

Wow, that really sucks.  I don't know what to suggest except to say that I have been using Solaray Brand Pantothenic Acid for months now with great success.  This is my favorite.  I buy it at Whole Foods Market.  Are you also taking one B-Complex 100 daily and 1,000 mcg of biotin 4 times daily?  That may help.

I was going to suggest the flaxseed to you, cynic. I use about 2 Tbl of the oil on my salad every day. I really like the taste of it, so I do it that way to avoid having pills to swallow (a bonus if you're already taking b5). Might be cheaper too and you wouldn't get the fillers in the supplements, plus you might have to swallow a few to make up 2 Tbl. I'm not really sure if there is a recommended dosage. Flax has to be refrigerated. Another even cheaper option is to buy the flax seeds. They are WAY cheaper than the oil. You have to grind them up in like a coffee grinder, otherwise you won't digest them at all.. they'll just go right through you whole. A couple TBL of flax meal doesn't taste bad at all. I like how it tastes. I put it on salad or in no-bake cookies, since heating it destroys it.

Somebody around here (hunter... can't remember the whole name) says they had success when they combined the use of b5 with EFA's... I think he used flax.

Good luck.

Carrie

I've been on B5 for around the same time (coming up to 6 months now) as Dave and still reading this thread with interest.

When I look back at how I was the improvement has been remarkable. I can't say that it is perfect yet, but it was very bad 6 months ago and it may be me being overly critical. There has undoubtedly been a drastic improvement in the condition of my skin. I haven't suffered any side effects from taking the b5.

Until a few weeks ago I'd been taking the full 10grams but have now cut to 9grams/day. Doesn't seem to have had a negative effect.

I've tried lots of supplementary things to go along with the b5. At the moment I'm taking Hemp Seed Oil, a zinc tablet as well as using the SA/BP wash combination. I think the Hemp Seed Oil does the same as the Flax Oil, but the hemp is supposed to supply the EFA's in the correct ratio.

Hey guys

really sorry to hear about cynic - have you tried stuff like apple cider vinegar, Manuka oil, emu oil etc? Also mandelic acid seems to work wonders for people on here...

I do have a quick question, and a long story.

Question:

I'm taking 5g B5. How much biotin and Bcomplex should I be taking a day? I'm currently taking 1 B complex (with 100% of the RDA of various B vitamins) and 1000-1500mcg Biotin/day.

Story!: (skip to the bottom if this is too long!)

My B5 story is kinda a bit dodgy because i've tried so many other things, too, but about 3 and a half months ago i started taking 2g B5/day, hoping that i would see an improvement in my skin. A couple of weeks before that, I had started erythromycin 1000mg/day. At the time I was experiencing a big breakout-pretty much the worst i'd ever had-and decided to try lots of new facewashes etc.

About 2months in, I had seen maybe a mild effect of B5 and erythromycin, although I'm not convinced the erythromycin was working at all (limecycline didn't do anything, either). And I decided to increase my B5 to around 4-5g/day a couple of weeks ago.

As soon as I started to take 4-5g/day, I noticed a big reduction in teh amount of new spots that formed. I then ran out of B5 and "rationed" myself to 3-3.5g/day and noticed some more spots forming. When the new batch came, about 1week ago, I started taking 5g/day and pretty much haven't had any new spots since!! I've also started Apple Cider Vinegar, Tea Tree, Manuka & Emu oil, but I don't think that these have stopped the spots as much as they've helped heal the existing red marks.

I also cut down erythromycin to 500mg/day 2 weeks ago and I think I'll probably stop that now.

The effects of the new clearasil ultra wash that i've been using have been really good too - pretty much stopped all redness in 3 days, just like it says!! I'm so impressed! Also the tea tree + manuka seem to dry out spots really quickly. Emu oil is a really good moisturiser and has made my skin feel really soft. The vinegar also seems to be helping with skin tone and peeling.

Overall:

started low dose (2g/day) B5 for ~3 months. Increased to 5g/day and saw massive reduction in spots formed. ACV, Tea Tree, Manuka Oil, Emu Oil, Clearasil facewash all helped too, and i'm the clearest i've been for a year. I dont think it'll last - cos it's too good to be true, but as for now, I'm happy!

Many thanks to Dave + everyone who posts on this thread - it's the reason i started on B5!

starting my routine...

bought a 3 month supply STICKING with it for 3 WHOLE MONTHS!!!

Will be doing 10g a day for 3 months...

5g b5 morning

Bp Face wash

sa astringent when done

moisturize...

midday wash BP

apply SA astring

night

5g b5

bp face wash

sa astring

Moisturze if needed

exercise 3 times a week

as summer comes around I will be swimming etc...

Update - Hello everybody!

It has been exactly 7 months since I started taking B5. I will say that it is the best thing I've found for my acne. I had completely cleared ym skin in just a matter of 2-3 months. I am still taking 10 grams per day. I have experimented with lowering the dosage, and when I did I found that my acne would start to come back, so i would just go back up to the 10 grams. In the last week or two, I have got a few pimples, and I am wondering why this is. I will say that I have become sort of lazy with the b5. I used to drink a LOT of water, and lately I have not been drinking enough. I also stopped using my cleanser (containg SA) when it ran out, so I started using Purpose liquid soap. I also have not been using any kind of treatment for my skin, aside from an il-free moisturizer, which I have been using religiously.

Currently I have two pimples on my right cheek and a couple TINY little bumps on my left cheek (hardley noticeable), but enough to get me worried. I know I sound like a jerk, because before I started with B5 I had anywhere from 12- 25 pimples on my face and neck. But after being clear for months it is frustrating to see them come back.

Anyway, I plan to do as I was doing in the beginning - Old tried and true. I will be using my Anthony Logistics cleanser with SA each time I wash. I will aplly a nighttime acne lotion with SA when I go to bed. I will drink as much water as I can force down my mouth throughout the day. And I will continue with my 10 grams of B5. Consider this day 1, and let's see how quickly my skin clears up.

I am hoping that the return of pimples is just due to my laziness and changing of my regimen, otherwise I will have a real shitty summer.

Overall, however, I think B5 is absolutely the best thing out there for clearing up acne. It has worked WONDERS for me.

Take care.

Hey thanks for returning to let people know that b5 isw working for you there seems to be alot of negativity about b5 on these boards but thats probably because many people give up early without giving it a chance and the people that DO suceed don't always come back to tell us, I havn't got time to read all of this topic, so I'd like to ask you how long it took for the b5 to stop new zits from forming?

I'm on day 8 and I'm still breaking out, is it too early to start expecting results?

Thanks.

It's been 5 days since my last update. I have been using Anthony Logistics Acne Cleanser with 2% SA to wash my face morning and night, and at night before bed after washing I use Anthony Logistics Nighttime Acne treatment (with 2% SA). My skin is just about back to perfect. I guess these were the missing ingredients that allowed my acne to slowly creep back. The B5 has been working great, but it is important to also use SA to keep the skin exfoliated and free from getting little plugs which may turn into pimples.

Midnight - I would recommend that you use a cleanser with SA and also apply something with SA to your face before you go to sleep. If you read my post from the beginning, you will see that is exactly what I did. There was also a period within the first 3 months of my treatment where I stopped using SA for about a week, and my skin got worse. Good luck - B5 is awesome. It is the only thing that has worked for me.

Dave

Quick question: Dave, I know you never had an initial breakout with the b5, but has anyone else had one? I'm 2 1/2 weeks into my b5 course at 10g and I had a pretty substantial breakout all across my face. I've also developed some deep deep cystic acne on my right jawline. Just wondering if 2 1/2 weeks is a normal time for the initial, and how bad is it usually.

I went from 3-4 active acne areas at a time, to currently about 15, most noticably this strange cystic acne on my jawline, the likes of which I've never even seen before. They don't really have any 'head' to speak of, and are just a big whitish lumps. I'm afraid to even do some safe needle surgery on them...

I've read that the skin cycle is 30 - 45 days. Therefore, if you skin is pretty bad to begin with, you experience this "initial breakout" as the skin begins clearing up and the acne that is already thee (but under the skin) starts coming to a head and the sebum gets pushed out. The nice thing is that the B5 will keep it from starting again deep in the skin, so in 2-3 months you will be 100% clear. I don't remember having an intiali breakout, however my skin was not great early on, but kept gradually getting better and better, untl one day I looked in the mirror and said to myself "holy crap, my skin is clear."

If you go back and read my thread from the beginning you will see exactly my progress, as I kept a day-by-day progress report. Look to see where I was at the stage you are at now, and you can see what you will have in store for you in the coming days and weeks.

Good luck.

Dave

Hey everyone,

Glad to hear the b5 is still working for you, Dave. I quit taking it awhile ago, because it was bothering my stomach, but my diet has kept me pretty clear. The one thing that has crept back after quitting the b5 is some small milia; no inflamed zits thougth, so I'm happy. A few weeks ago, I started taking just 2g of b5/day to see if it will help the milia stay away. I had extractions done right when I started the b5 back in Jan. and I think that was a really good idea, because the b5 just kept them away after that, so I'm going to go have them extracted again.

Good luck everyone and remember to drink lots of water with your b5

hi, im thinking to use B5 too.. but i wanna know.. if it dried.. your skin and your hair... cus my hair is already dry and i dont wanna make it more...

did u have any sides effects from b5??

tnx...

I read through the posts and it is really helping. I'm on day 25, with 10g à day.

BTW does it matter if you take B5 before, during or after a meal? Also, the b-complex I take has only 100 mcg of biotin in it..is that enough?

I'm mostly on it because of my oily skin.. It has improved but not that much yet. And this morning, out of nothing, I got one rather big close to me eye.. Incredible how fast these suckers grow! Because of it I refused to attend a party tonight.. sad.gif

Hopefully it's just B5 clearing up some hidden stuff.

BTW #2, the rest of my body is so damn dry that I've started to use a shower oil (not on my face) and moisturize all of my body after a shower (again not my face).

Apart from a scrub once a week and daily, an under-eye complex I refuse to put anything else on my face. I used a lot of gels in the past and that caused my oily skin I believe.

I still have faith in B5 though!

Hey All

As you may know, I had terrific results from B-5, however, I have always had an ongoing concern as to the long-term effects of taking such a high dosage of a vitamin. Also, taking 20 pills a day is a slight pain in the ass.

I have experimented with reducing the amoutn of B5 down to 5 grams, or 8 grams, and inevitably my skin would always get worse. So I would ramp back up to 10 grams to clear up. Well, after 8 months or so, it seemed like the B5 was working to keep me 90-95% clear, but still hadn't kept me at 100% recently.

I found a thread on this website in the "Over-theCounter" section, started by Jessica Stuart. I have begun using her very simple system, and I am 100% clear. Here it is:

Simply apply Neosporin CREAM to your face morning and night. That's it. Make sure to use the cream, not the ointment. It is so simple. You can wash with any kind of soap, then apply a dime-sized amount of the cream and rub in until it absorbs, which should take about 10 to 15 seconds. Check out her thrrad to see how she uses it, with make-up. As for me, since I'm a guy, a simply shave, wash my face, then pat dry and apply to my skin while it is still damp, and it absorbs in and acts as a moisturizer. It is so easy. I also apply a dime-size amount to my face before bed. My skin is 100% clear. It is also great because if you knick your skin while shaving, the neosporin heals it right up.

I stopped taking B5 when I started this and my skin is great. I have been doing this for about 1 week, and the results are astonishing. Give it a try.

Dave

Wow.

Thanks dave.

I just read this from begining to end.

About 2.5 hours.

I feel like I know ya smile.gif

Anyways, I'm bumping this page.

I just ordered my first batch of B5, an initial amount that will give me 2 months at 10 grams a day.

Moe

If I were you I would try the Neosporin CREAM first, before the B5. The results are quicker, it is easier and FAR less expensive.

Dave