Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm still checking this thread all the time.

Keep meaning to give you an update on how I'm doing, but got a feeling I'll be here for a while typing, so will do it sometime over the next few days when I have a bit more time.

Like CJB said, this thread has inspired and encouraged me a lot, so I'm going to keep reading it whatever.

I think I jinxed myself because I got one new zit last night. Luckily, it is small and looks like it will go away pretty quickly. It was my warning though. I am going to be vigilant about 6g again.

Glad you're reading this thread, Cynic. It's a good one, and I think it should be kept alive for awhile, so we see can see how Dave does more long term, while decreasing dose. (if he's willing). But also just because it's a good comprehensive B5 thread.

If nothing else, I'll keep posting my progress here.

can u tell me about b5 i wanan go on it but where could i buy it with it not meaning i have to take like 20 pills a day and how much is it and how much i have to take and so on... plz help thnx tired of regimen

can u tell me about b5 i wanan go on it but where could i buy it with it not meaning i have to take like 20 pills a day and how much is it and how much i have to take and so on... plz help thnx tired of regimen

Day 141

I am still taking just 5 grams per day, and my skin is looking good. I had a couple pimples on my right cheek from when I went to Vegas, but that was because I didn't get any sleep, I didn't take any B5 and I didn't wash my face for like 3 days. Anyway, now my skin is looking great. About 4 days ago I started taking milk thistle because I read on this website where people had great results from taking milk thistle. Milk thistle is supposed to be excellent for the liver, and a clean liver filters impurities from the blood and the skin. Therefore, I think that now that I am on a maintenace dose of B5, and I have gone through 2 months of intestinal cleansing, a clean liver is just another way to purify my body. I have also been taking 2 tablespoons of flaxseed oil daily. I am still taking Coromega (fish oil) and also 2 Primal Defense probiotics daily.

I have really turned into a vitamin fanantic, but that is good. I never really thought vitamins were that improtant, but after seeing how taking one vitamin (B5) could completely clear my skin, I now believe that vitamins and herbs are so important for the body. I am glad that I realized this at such a young age (27), because I feel that if I continue for the rest of my life, I can prolong the quality of my life in later years and prevent illness.

Good luck to rest of you. Keep up with the B5. It is the answer.

Dave

Wow, I'm doing everything pretty similar to you, Dave. Taking fish oil, though I haven't been very regular about it lately. I also take flax oil on my salad every day. I also am taking some liver cleansing herbs, and occassionally take probiotics, when I remember to. Maybe I should be more religious about taking everything. I just already feel like I'm taking so many pills with the B5.

What did you do for intestinal cleansing? I am going to start doing this too to prepare for a liver flush over spring break.

Hi everybody, haven't posted on here for ages because my skin's the best it's ever been and I no longer consider myself to have an acne problem (which is such a HUGE relief after 6 years with the disease!).

When I started on b5 about four months back, I noticed a big improvement in the condition of my skin throughout the first month and kept thinking "great, next week I'll be totally clear if this rate if improvement continues!"

However, the rate of improvement started to slow and I began thinking that the b5 wasn't doing much anymore, so I decided to cut things out of my diet like sugar, yeast, wheat, etc - which made my life so incredibly dull and made me lose too much weight. (I was still taking the b5 though.)

A month ago I looked in the mirror and studied my face for a while and came to the conclusion that the b5 really had made a huge difference to the quality of my skin.

That's when I decided to scrap my boring diet and just eat what I want. I eat chocolate, bread, wheat products and it doesn't affect my skin at all it seems.

I believe now that excess oil production in the skin is the real reason for acne and the fact that the b5 is still working and reducing the number of active spots I get every month, I'm optimistic that within 2-3 more months my skin will be it's ravishing best! I used to get around 10 new spots a day before I started taking b5 as a desperate last resort but now I'm down to about one or two tiny ones a day. Any new spots are gone the day after at the latest.

Anyway, the main point I'm trying to get across is that you must stick with the b5 for at least 4 months, as I have. Most medications can take around 6 months to START to work properly, so think of b5 as a medication.

My faith in b5 is fully restored and I would wholeheartedly recommend taking it.

Just a side note, I also take one probiotic multivitamin and two evening primrose oil capsules each day in addition to 10mg of b5.

Good luck to those who might be just starting to take the supplements! Just keep going!

There's always success stories but there's also stories for when it isn't working.

I'm heading towards the 4 month mark on B5 and I can definitely say without a shadow of a doubt that my skin is a lot worse than from 4 months ago.

I'm not gonna stop taking the B5 though as I want to see through a "long" course of it to have a final decision about its effectiveness for me.

It's definitely not curtailing oil production for me.

Hey Dave I looked up Coromega and is it supposed to be like an orange paste or somethin like that? And how much do you take daily?

I have no idea what day I'm on, but it's been well over 3 months and I've been having a minor break out for the past week and I don't know why.

Day 146

Update: I had dropped down to 5 grams per day for the last couple weeks, and prior to that I wasdoing 8-9 grams. I noticed that I ahve been getting a few pimples, and that bothers me. So 2 days Ago I started back at 10 grams. When I was on 10 grams steadily, my skin was nearly perfect and consistent. I am going to stay here for a while, and then in a few months I will try to ramp down again and see if things have changed.

Day 146

Update:  I had dropped down to 5 grams per day for the last couple weeks, and prior to that I wasdoing 8-9 grams.  I noticed that I ahve been getting a few pimples, and that bothers me.  So 2 days Ago I started back at 10 grams.  When I was on 10 grams steadily, my skin was nearly perfect and consistent.  I am going to stay here for a while, and then in a few months I will try to ramp down again and see if things have changed.

Cynic

I am worried, lightly. But I am not about to go back to having acne again. I'd rather stay clear now and take my chances. At the end of the day, I think the only real side effect MIGHT be kidney stones, however this is just somebody else's opinion, and I don't have any proof of it. I am really hoping that in a few months I can try to cut back again and see if my skin stays clear.

Dave,

I know you said you drink lots of water. This should help with the kidney thing. You might also take some herbs that are beneficial for the kidneys. I have a "kidney tonic" tincture that I take sometimes. Also celery seed tea is known to be very beneficial for breaking up kidney stones, so you could try drinking that sometimes. Just buy some celery seeds (in the herb section of the grocery store; don't buy garden seeds = pesticide contamination), crush them up a little bit and steep for 15-20 min. It's a little bitter, but kind of nice and celery-y. smile.gif

I'm thinking ahead to this already too. It's great to be clear now, but I don't want to have to be dependant on B5 indefinitely.

Good luck.

Carrie

hey dave, I've been following this thread for a while (by the way, thanks) and am on day 52 of using B5 myself. I have two quick questions for you. first, how have your scars healed? second, B5 cleared me rather suddenly around day 25 or so, but around day 40 (basically a couple of weeks later), I started breaking out again, and have been getting two/three fresh pimples everyday since. I haven't changed my diet or anything, and I'm pretty confused. two weeks ago I was 99% clear and now my skin is worse than before B5. what do you think?

quick question (i tried to read through the thread but it's long) : Did B5 help to smooth out your skin? What I mean is that I have all these bumps, and have had them for a long time...they are on my forehead and aroung my nose and mouth on my cheeks. My skin just looks really bumpy, and I was wondering if B5 would help that.

Gemma,

That was one of my main concerns too. When I first started on the B5, I went and had all my bumps extracted. I have a few now, but not nearly as many as I had before. I don't know if they would have disappeared with the B5, but I think the b5 has helped them not come back (less oil).

Dave,

How long have you been doing the Colonix? I started b5 about 2 weeks ago, but I want to try other things that might help, and at the same time, keep my system healthy. By the way, I was looking thru your log and saw your pix. They were kinda small, but if you don't mind a dude telling you...man, you are hot!!! Acne or not.

Cynic

I am worried, lightly.  But I am not about to go back to having acne again.  I'd rather stay clear now and take my chances.  At the end of the day, I think the only real side effect MIGHT be kidney stones, however this is just somebody else's opinion, and I don't have any proof of it.  I am really hoping that in a few months I can try to cut back again and see if my skin stays clear.

Day 162

I don't know if anybody is still reading this, but I thought I'd give an update. About 2 weeks ago I went back up to 10 grams per day because at 5-6 grams, I got a couple of pimples here and there. I am now totally clear. My skin has never looked better. So I guess I will keep going at 10 grams for a while and then try to ramp down again and see if my skin stays clear.

FYI

I still check for this thread, Dave. I quit the B5 about two weeks ago. I started to get occassional stabbing stomach pains, which went away as soon as I quit the B5. I'm happy to report that I'm still clear though. My plan from the beginning was to use B5 as a jumpstart and work on diet modification while I was on it. So I am being pretty good with my diet, though not overly strict. I'm already a vegan, but I am avoiding wheat, except for some sprouted grain bread. I also drink over 100 oz of water a day and have been taking a burdock/sarsaparilla and a blue flag tincture (all liver herbs). After I quit the B5, I wanted to make sure the acne wouldn't come back, so I've also been taking some green tea extract, probiotics, and still the fish oil. I drink two big glasses of lemon water every morning and follow that up with fresh juice whenever I have the time. I just started taking oxypowder (for colon cleanse), and will eventually follow that up with a liver flush. I'm determined to do everything in my power to KEEP THE ACNE AWAY! In the meantime, I'm feeling really good about the fact that I'm still clear. Hope it lasts! Good luck to ya.

Carrie

P.S. I think it's good that you keep this log going. It might be helpful for people to see what they are in for long-term when they take b5. If I start breaking out, I may try taking an even smaller dose than the 6g, and see how that goes, but I don't want to jinx myself. smile.gif

I'm still reading.

My update, then:

My acne is terrible, again. Seriously. It's as bad as it's been over the past few years, and certainly a lot worse than any other point since I've been on B5, which is now four months on 10g/day. It's not just a random breakout either, it's a definite shift in the state of my skin.

I'm not really sure what happened. Things were steadily improving, not by as much as I'd hoped for, but month-by-month there was a definite improvement. Then I had to re-stock my B5, and I ordered a new batch from the same manufacturer, only this time it had slightly different 'ingredients'. I also switched to a Biore SA wash as I felt that the mild Carleys soap I was using was just that - too mild. This was about a month ago I guess.

I don't know what to think now. My face looks awful. I'm not sure whether to attribute this to the new facewash - reading back on this thread it seems you favour an SA wash, Dave, but I guess it could be breaking me out? It's a popular wash on this forum, but I guess there's the possibility it could be counter-acting for some reason, I'm not sure. Otherwise I guess it could be the new B5 (even though it's almost exactly the same, and from the same brand) - but I don't really want to rush out and buy a new batch of any other stuff just because it's so, so expensive.

I suppose my first step would be to quit the SA face-wash and see if that changes things, other than that I'd really appreciate anybody's opinions on this, because I'm feeling so low about everything at the moment - it's a real kick in the teeth just as things were, maybe, possibly, getting slightly better.

What do you guys think? Thanks.

Gosh, Cynic,

That sucks. I wish I had some advice. Did the B5 totally clear you until now??

I have to say, at least in my case, I don't put much stock in face washes. I don't really think they help or hurt (unless they are really harsh). Since the B5 cleared me, I haven't been too picky about what I wash my face with. In fact, I ran out of my usual cleanser, which was just a gentle, natural face wash, so I've just been using my regular soap.. a huge "acne no-no!" and I've had no problems. I really think addressing it internally is the way to go.

What's different about your new b5?