Notifications
Clear all

Exfoliating Once Per Week With A Washcloth

MemberMember
(@brain85)

Posted : 05/09/2013 9:56 pm

Anyone use a plain old washcloth?

I was always afraid of using washcloths and people said they cause micro cuts in your skin, but I did a search on Google and apparently they work wonderfully for a ton of people. I tried brown and white sugar and that was too rough for me.

Any thoughts?

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 05/09/2013 10:49 pm

I personally use a checmical exfoliant. AHA just makes my skin look and feel so much better. But I do also use a physical exfoliant twice a week. I use St. Ives apricot scrub and I do rub it very gently on my face.

MemberMember
(@brain85)

Posted : 05/09/2013 10:56 pm

Aha irritates my skin like crazy.

And I read that apricot scrub is very harsh...one of the harshest exfoliants.

MemberMember
(@everythingthatshimmers)

Posted : 05/09/2013 11:27 pm

I use a washcloth daily to exfoliate. I used to use products with exfoliating beads or similar materials (tried Neutrogena products, Burt's Bees, Proactiv), when my skin is relatively clear they worked well but as my acne worsened, they just irritated my skin more and would even make my acne bleed at times. I am currently on Accutane and from time to time my skin flakes and peels a bit, I've found that gentle exfoliating with a washcloth helps a lot (I use either CeraVe or Cetaphil cleanser--very gentle) followed by moisturizing. I don't plan to go back to any harsh products even once I'm done with the medication.

MemberMember
(@forquestions)

Posted : 05/09/2013 11:29 pm

The cleanser I use right now actually exfoliates wonderfully. I'm using just plain quaker oats as a cleanser day and night. Just add a bit of water and enjoy a super gentle, moisturizing cleanser! Plus your face will smell yummy.

MemberMember
(@brain85)

Posted : 05/10/2013 1:36 am

I use a washcloth daily to exfoliate. I used to use products with exfoliating beads or similar materials (tried Neutrogena products, Burt's Bees, Proactiv), when my skin is relatively clear they worked well but as my acne worsened, they just irritated my skin more and would even make my acne bleed at times. I am currently on Accutane and from time to time my skin flakes and peels a bit, I've found that gentle exfoliating with a washcloth helps a lot (I use either CeraVe or Cetaphil cleanser--very gentle) followed by moisturizing. I don't plan to go back to any harsh products even once I'm done with the medication.

Good to know. I'll start using a washcloth for my weekly exfoliation (could never do daily).

Question...sometimes when I exfoliate I'll have more flakes right after than I did before exfoliating, but I have no idea if these are the flakes that are supposed to come off or if I'm irritating the layers of skin underneath the top layer. Any ideas?

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 05/10/2013 4:08 am

washcloth according to me is harsh.its kinda mechanical removal.

but id aha or bha doesnt suit u..and u r seeing results now,then it might suit u.

everyone's skin is different.

MemberMember
(@everythingthatshimmers)

Posted : 05/10/2013 9:52 am

I rub/massage gently with the washcloth, no scrubbing. I've read about people using baby washcloths because they are softer. As far as the flakes, I don't know if I have the right answer, but in my opinion I feel like we are shedding dead layers of skin all the time and exfoliating just rids the skin of that old dead skin. If it's uncomfortable or leaves your skin red or irritated your probably doing it too hard or should do it less.

ForQuestions, I read your post about using oats. I may try that, I like natural and gentle alternatives. I have a weird question though, does it ever clog up your drain? I could see myself making a big mess! =)

MemberMember
(@brain85)

Posted : 05/10/2013 5:53 pm

I used a washcloth last night and it felt real good on my face. I didn't scrub or massage, I kinda just wiped my face with it.

MemberMember
(@forquestions)

Posted : 05/10/2013 9:22 pm

I rub/massage gently with the washcloth, no scrubbing. I've read about people using baby washcloths because they are softer. As far as the flakes, I don't know if I have the right answer, but in my opinion I feel like we are shedding dead layers of skin all the time and exfoliating just rids the skin of that old dead skin. If it's uncomfortable or leaves your skin red or irritated your probably doing it too hard.

ForQuestions, I read your post about using oats. I may try that, I like natural and gentle alternatives. I have a weird question though, does it ever clog up your drain? I could see myself making a big mess! =)

It can clog your sink drain. That's why I go ahead and wet the oats, and then use the plug in my sink to plug it up and wash my face over the sink. After I'm done I'll grab some toilet paper and wipe up all the oats and just toss it, then rinse my face off ( since by then most of the oats have fallen off anyway XD ) When I wash my face in the shower I just rinse everything down the drain. But oats have been SUCH a miracle for me, and it's nice to never have to spend 20 dollars on a face wash >.>

Good luck though! If you do decide to try oats do post about your progress. C: