Notifications
Clear all

Dan's Roaccutane Log (Male, 18, Uk)

MemberMember
(@beavinator)

Posted : 05/09/2013 9:14 am

Hey there acne peeps!

So I've finally got my hands on the glorious Roaccutane pills yesterday and so I have decided to log my progress here. Detailing any changes to my mood, acne, side effects and tips while on Roaccutane.

Follow me on my journey to fight acne.

About Me

So hello! My name is Dan, I'm 18 years old and live in the South West of United Kingdom. I currently work as a waiter in a local restaurant.

My Acne Life

Ive had acne since I was about 10, so its been about 8 years of constantly having acne. When I was young It didn't bother me as much because I thought it was all of the raging hormones which every human gets at that age in their life. I thought I would grow out of it...Nope!

The acne started off with the odd dozen spots on my face for the first 5 years, then it got really really bad and got more painful, then it started to spread across my neck, back and chest which is agonizing! Recently the acne has got worse with a small red patch near my nose and loads and loads of acne scaring on my face, arms, chest, back and hips which really upsets me.

I have tried loads of different over-the-counter face washes/creams which never worked. Ive also tried different diets, changing my fitness. Tried some pills I got prescribed by my GP. And still no luck of losing these suckers.

I have defiantly had enough!

So I decided to go back to my GP.

Roaccutane

My GP forwarded me to a Dermatologist in which he said that Roaccutane was the best treatment to get me on. I have done mindblowingly loads of research about this drug before I met my Derm and I was keen to start the treatment.

So lets bring it back to yesterday where I had a appointment with the Dermatologist and they prescribed on a start of 40mg (2 x 20mg) Roaccutane for the first 5 weeks and my weight is about 70kg. I took my first dosage yesterday.

So now it's Day Two: No change to my acne, woke up with three new spots on my face. I feel normal with no change in physical or mental behaviour. I'm hoping to see the acne get worse which sounds weird but apparently the acne gets worse before it gets better.

Any advice would be great from peeps whos on Roaccutane.

Imma fight this!

Update:‹ Here is picture of my face on day three of the pill, no difference yet.

ilHbcO7.png

MemberMember
(@eatsrainbows)

Posted : 05/09/2013 10:33 am

Hi!

I'm also from the UK (Cambridge) and I was wondering how long the process of being referred to a Derm took for you? My GP referred me to a Derm about 3 months ago, but the earliest appointment I could get was last week. So, I went to my appointment last week where the derm and I decided that Roaccutane would be the best option for me. She asked me some basic questions (e.g. Do I wear contact lenses) and I had my blood tests done. She said she would contact me to tell me when my next appointment but I haven't heard anything from her. She said that the appointment would be in 1-2 weeks but my last appointment was a week ago. I think it's safe to say that frustration is setting in.

I'm assuming that you're using the NHS here? If you are, have you experienced the same loooooong waits between appointments?

I wish you the best of luck with your treatment and remember, we're all in this together ;)

(also, I've never been called an 'acne peep' before but I like it, we have to start a trend here!)

MemberMember
(@jsnjeppe)

Posted : 05/09/2013 12:26 pm

Hey there acne peeps!

So I've finally got my hands on the glorious Roaccutane pills yesterday and so I have decided to log my progress here. Detailing any changes to my mood, acne, side effects and tips while on Roaccutane.

Follow me on my journey to fight acne.

About Me

So hello! My name is Dan, I'm 18 years old and live in the South West of United Kingdom. I currently work as a waiter in a local restaurant.

My Acne Life

Ive had acne since I was about 10, so its been about 8 years of constantly having acne. When I was young It didn't bother me as much because I thought it was all of the raging hormones which every human gets at that age in their life. I thought I would grow out of it...Nope!

The acne started off with the odd dozen spots on my face for the first 5 years, then it got really really bad and got more painful, then it started to spread across my neck, back and chest which is agonizing! Recently the acne has got worse with a small red patch near my nose and loads and loads of acne scaring on my face, arms, chest, back and hips which really upsets me.

I have tried loads of different over-the-counter face washes/creams which never worked. Ive also tried different diets, changing my fitness. Tried some pills I got prescribed by my GP. And still no luck of losing these suckers.

I have defiantly had enough!

So I decided to go back to my GP.

Roaccutane

My GP forwarded me to a Dermatologist in which he said that Roaccutane was the best treatment to get me on. I have done mindblowingly loads of research about this drug before I met my Derm and I was keen to start the treatment.

So lets bring it back to yesterday where I had a appointment with the Dermatologist and they prescribed on a start of 40mg (2 x 20mg) Roaccutane for the first 5 weeks and my weight is about 70kg. I took my first dosage yesterday.

So now it's Day Two: No change to my acne, woke up with three new spots on my face. I feel normal with no change in physical or mental behaviour. I'm hoping to see the acne get worse which sounds weird but apparently the acne gets worse before it gets better.

I'm hoping to take photos tomorrow and I will post them up here.

Any advice would be great from peeps whos on Roaccutane.

Imma fight this!

What thoughts did you have going into this treatment? I can imagine that its not just something that you do considering accutane is such a dangerous drug.

MemberMember
(@beavinator)

Posted : 05/09/2013 7:24 pm

Hi!

I'm also from the UK (Cambridge) and I was wondering how long the process of being referred to a Derm took for you? My GP referred me to a Derm about 3 months ago, but the earliest appointment I could get was last week. So, I went to my appointment last week where the derm and I decided that Roaccutane would be the best option for me. She asked me some basic questions (e.g. Do I wear contact lenses) and I had my blood tests done. She said she would contact me to tell me when my next appointment but I haven't heard anything from her. She said that the appointment would be in 1-2 weeks but my last appointment was a week ago. I think it's safe to say that frustration is setting in.

I'm assuming that you're using the NHS here? If you are, have you experienced the same loooooong waits between appointments?

I wish you the best of luck with your treatment and remember, we're all in this together wink.png

(also, I've never been called an 'acne peep' before but I like it, we have to start a trend here!)

Hey ya acne peep!!!!!

Yay a UK'er! It took 4 weeks for the Derm appointment from the GP. Wow 3 months is a long time! That does sound confusing, after my first visit to the Derm I received a letter in the post a week later with my next appoint which was 5 weeks after my first Derm appointment. I would recommend to contact the hospital and ask if a appoint has been set up. And yes it is under the NHS.

Thanks for the kind support biggrin.png

Cheers!!

What thoughts did you have going into this treatment? I can imagine that its not just something that you do considering accutane is such a dangerous drug.

Hello, I have had a very very long time to research and make my mind up about it. I originally had a Derm appointment up in Swindon about three months ago, he said Roaccutane was a way to go. But with me changing jobs and move into Cornwall (180 mile difference between Swindon and Cornwall). It wasn't clever to stay with the Derm up in Swindon. So I had to go through the whole process to see a Derm closer to where I'm living. I have realised how dangerous the drug can be and I am happy with taking them.

Thanks smile.png

MemberMember
(@beavinator)

Posted : 05/10/2013 7:50 am

Day Three: Here are some pictures I took today of my ance. Horrid I know! Also no difference in my ance & mood. No side effects.

MemberMember
(@beavinator)

Posted : 05/18/2013 8:15 am

Day Eleven: Its been over a week and I have now noticed some side effects of the Roacutane.

Ive got really dry and very flakey skin around my mouth. I woke up this morning with an ultra dry mouth, It was so strange! I typically moisturise in the morning and evening but ive had to apply again and again because of the dryness. Also my lips are crazy dry which hurts most of the time, I'm using E45's lip balm but its not helping. I will try another branded lip balm soon.

Other than that I've noticed my acne broke out like mad around and underneath my mouth, hopefully it'll be dissapearing soon.

Thanks everyone for the replies so far, its great motivation!

Keep positive biggrin.png

MemberMember
(@nomoredottodot)

Posted : 05/18/2013 9:29 am

Good luck with your course! I'm from the UK too. Plus just have to say, you have the most striking eyes! :)

MemberMember
(@electricbetty)

Posted : 05/18/2013 1:58 pm

Heyyy Dan. I feel like the Brits are fully invading these forums, mwahaha. What we do best, apparently... :)

The bit I was most unable to deal with -- and what ultimately made me decide to start the treatment -- was the realisation that my acne was not going away. If it gets worse as you get older, it's just going to leave more and more scars and, in the end, leave you with skin you really can't do a lot with. So there's the first hurdle.

It's not the easiest course of treatment. I've heard it compared to a milder form of chemotherapy -- it makes you feel low, your hair thins and often falls out, you constantly feel dehydrated and sometimes woozy and sick. But you know it's working, and it's going to show results pretty quickly. Looking at your face in the mirror after the first couple of months, you suddenly think -- 'so that's what my face looks like!'

My Dermatologist said that in 9 out of 10 cases, acne never returns. In the other 10% of people, it comes back eventually (after a year or two) but it's nowhere near as severe. And you can always take a second round, or try antibiotics again.

Don't think too much about what could happen, just focus on what will happen in the end, which is you'll have clear skin! Good luck.

MemberMember
(@kirsty2609)

Posted : 06/08/2013 4:39 pm

Hi! I've not posted on anything like this before so not sure if I'm doing it right but its so nice to hear fellow uk people on this drug! I've just started month 2 (started in 40 mg and went up to 60mg) I'm hoping to increase again at the end of the month as I want all the side effects finished by the time I get married in sept! In response to one of the posts (I'm not sure how to quote them!) try burts bees from boots for your lips it's amazing, the only thing I've found that really works and I must have bought the whole lips section before finding this one!

MemberMember
(@beavinator)

Posted : 06/10/2013 4:06 pm

Week 4 Day 6: So it's been a long time since I have added a entry here as not much has changed. So heres my current status. Pretty much all of my acne has completely disappeared on my face and neck. Its absolutely amazing to wake up and find no new spots appeared.

I am still getting a fry face and lips but I am coping with it by applying moisturiser and Burt's Bees lip-balm. I am still getting acne on my back which is annoying but i've still got 3 months of the treatment to get rid of them. I've been feeling tired quite a lot since i've been on Roaccutane, but it not so bad.

I will try and post up some pictures of my skin when I can.

Thank you all so much for the replies, you're all awesome!

Good luck with your course! I'm from the UK too. Plus just have to say, you have the most striking eyes! smile.png

MemberMember
(@beavinator)

Posted : 06/14/2013 7:32 am

Week 5 Day 3: I had an appointment with my dermatologist a couple days ago and they have now upped my dosage from 40mg to 65mg which is great!!! Hopefully this will kick away my back acne. All is well right now, no new side effects and i'm loving the medication so far. GO ROACCUTANE!

Heyyy Dan. I feel like the Brits are fully invading these forums, mwahaha. What we do best, apparently... smile.png

The bit I was most unable to deal with -- and what ultimately made me decide to start the treatment -- was the realisation that my acne was not going away. If it gets worse as you get older, it's just going to leave more and more scars and, in the end, leave you with skin you really can't do a lot with. So there's the first hurdle.

It's not the easiest course of treatment. I've heard it compared to a milder form of chemotherapy -- it makes you feel low, your hair thins and often falls out, you constantly feel dehydrated and sometimes woozy and sick. But you know it's working, and it's going to show results pretty quickly. Looking at your face in the mirror after the first couple of months, you suddenly think -- 'so that's what my face looks like!'

My Dermatologist said that in 9 out of 10 cases, acne never returns. In the other 10% of people, it comes back eventually (after a year or two) but it's nowhere near as severe. And you can always take a second round, or try antibiotics again.

Don't think too much about what could happen, just focus on what will happen in the end, which is you'll have clear skin! Good luck.

MemberMember
(@keepcalmandgtfo)

Posted : 06/14/2013 10:01 am

Would love to see some progress photos when you have time! So glad to hear good news about it :)

I've been on 40mg a day roaccutane for exactly 4 weeks now & my face has gotten better slightly, I've been told by a few people that it's looking much better now though. I have unfortunately got the side effect of joint pain which comes & goes. I've also noticed I become more worried about some situations I wouldn't have in the past - not sure if that's related to the meds. And I've apparently become quite moody. Makes me worry about my dermatologist increasing my dose like others have done :/

Anyway sorry I just wrote a massive spiel about myself! So glad that you're happy with the treatment & you're getting the results you want :) I'm sure it's done amazing things for your confidence!

Also, Sorbolene cream works for my skin & also a product called paw paw ointment I use for my lips & nose. Hope that's of some help :)

MemberMember
(@persephone7)

Posted : 06/14/2013 3:06 pm

Oh the joys of Accutane! rolleyes.gif

I just started my second course of Accutane today. My first course kept me clear for SIX YEARS though, and when I say clear I mean C-L-E-A-R! One day I woke up with acne again. Talk about my worst nightmare! However, my dermatologist told me only about 20% of people need a second treatment.

I love ance.org because it helps you understand that you are not alone in the struggle. Keep your head up and remember it will get better, I PROMISE! wub.pngwub.pngwub.png

If you have any questions I am here to help if I can! I have been there done that and am doing it again. comfort.gif

Check out my blog!!!

MemberMember
(@eatsrainbows)

Posted : 08/26/2013 1:10 am

Hey fellow acne peep Dan, how's Roaccutane treating you now? :)