Notifications
Clear all

You Want To See Cortisone Dent

MemberMember
(@sickofthis)

Posted : 10/16/2003 7:51 am

Hi All! I am very new here. Well, in a sense at least. I have been lurking around for several months and have finally got up the nerve to post. I am a 30 yr. old Female with adult onset acne. It started when I was 25 and got REALLY bad when I was preganant with my son last year. It turned cystic and I had 20-30 cysts on my face at a time...most did leave a scar. I am still working on the active acne...most is gone and seems like I will forever be working on the scars. I have done several techniques and tried almost all the meds out there except accutane. My question is this....I got a small cyst 2 weeks ago on my chin. I did not want it to get any bigger. So I went to the derm and he injected it with cortisone. We have done this before....he uses a very mild strength. Well this time after the zit heeled, it left a HUGE indent in my chin! I called him and he said he didn't know why this happened he used a very low dose and he wants to see me in a couple of weeks. It is more like a big line about an inch long and looks terrible! It totally sinks in. Has anyone ever had this experience with cortisone and will it go away????? Maybe at least fade???? I am massaging it every chance I get and using Retin-a on it. I have other scars too...but this by far is the worse. Help! TIA. Glad to be here and eager to show my support to others.

MemberMember
(@marytheres)

Posted : 10/16/2003 7:56 am

Sick of this,

I had that happen to me. The dent did plump back up but I was left with scarring in that area...

I know another woman that it happened to - she had a few of the shots and so she had a couple of dents on her face in different places - hers eventually pluped back up and left no scarring.

It takes three to six months for the skin to plump back up...

There are others on this baord who have had similar experience with cortison

MemberMember
(@marytheres)

Posted : 10/16/2003 8:00 am

Sickofthis,

I have a question for you ... I am very nervous about getting pregnant because I am afraid it will cause my acne to come back... Was there anything you could do to treat it or at least control it while pregnant? Could you at least use Benzol Peroxide while pregnant?

MemberMember
(@jane)

Posted : 10/16/2003 8:37 am

Sickofthis,

From what I have read, the atrophy caused by cortisone shots goes away within a year. I have some scarring where I had two cortisone shots but I think it could have been the result of the size of the cysts that I had. They had a lot of puss in them and the doctor had to lance them in addition to the cortisone shot. I hate adult acne. I am sure mine is hormone related, I started getting cysts when I was pregnant with my son. One treatment suggestion I have read is to have subcision done on the indented area.

I was kind of angry at my doctor about the scarring, but I asked him to do the shots. He is a very sweet and supportive doctor and I am sure he did the best he could.

Marytheres,

How much has the smoothbeam helped in the areas where you had atrophy from the cortisone shots? Are you still continuing to improve overall?

MemberMember
(@jenn4dex)

Posted : 10/16/2003 2:29 pm

I had one cyst from hell last year, I am now 34, and it left a tiny indent but that was because over 3 months I must have had at least 10 shots in it. It just would not go down. I had a tiny dent, and I had some laser treatment to get rid of the lingering redness and it is a year later and the dent is totally gone, so give it 6 months before you do anything surgical. You don't want to make it worse. =;

MemberMember
(@marytheres)

Posted : 10/16/2003 8:18 pm

How much has the smoothbeam helped in the areas where you had atrophy from the cortisone shots? Are you still continuing to improve overall?
MemberMember
(@sickofthis)

Posted : 10/16/2003 9:38 pm

I have a question for you ... I am very nervous about getting pregnant because I am afraid it will cause my acne to come back... Was there anything you could do to treat it or at least control it while pregnant? Could you at least use Benzol Peroxide while pregnant?

Hi Mary Theres!

Nice to meet you! OMG...is all I can say about my pregnancy. I was THE MOST miserable person in the world! I did ALOT of research on acne before I got pregnant and it said that a woman's skin can and generally does get better with pregnancy. Obviously, those people never suffered from a pimple in their life! My acne was full blown by the time I was 8 weeks....my face looked horrific! I couldn't even go out in public and when I had to ( I worked) I would cry before I stepped out the door. Mind you before this I had very mild acne that was under control with Benzaclin. When I got pregnant, I was not able to use the Benzaclin or anything else...not even OTC benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid is a BIG No No. At 16 weeks, my derm (who was not sympathetic at all) gave me topical erythromycin. (That is considered safe and is a class B drug). However, by this point, my skin just laughed at it. Well, it got so bad I went to my PCP and he have me referral for a VERY good Derm/plastic surgeon. We started a series of 70% glycolic acid peels once a week for several weeks and then tapering off to every other week. This helped immensely! I just wish I would have known about this earlier and I didn't waste my time with that other derm. It sure would have saved me a ton of grief as I am fighting still to get rid of terrible scars. So, in answer to your question...there are ALOT of drugs out there that you cannot use...however, glycolic acid is not one of them and proved to be a God send in my case. But as you always should do, ask your ob/gyn before using anything...he/she probably doesn't know anything about skin care (mine didn't) so they may want to consult your derm. Good Luck!!!!!! smile.gif

PS...how do I get the smiles to work????? I am very new at this. :-k

MemberMember
(@sickofthis)

Posted : 10/16/2003 9:53 pm

I was kind of angry at my doctor about the scarring, but I asked him to do the shots. He is a very sweet and supportive doctor and I am sure he did the best he could.

I am kind of mad at my Dr. too about the scarring. But I guess it is my fault. I knew the risks but kind of forgot about the negatives that can come of it b/c I never had a problem before. NO MORE CORTISONE for me ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so angry at this scar right now!!!! It is huge and I fear it will NEVER go away. sad.gif

PS...I see I got the smiley's to work! biggrin.gif Now how do you do the quote thing???? :-k

MemberMember
(@marytheres)

Posted : 10/17/2003 8:24 am

Sickofthis,

Thanks for your response... though it scares me. But some people's skin does get nice during pregnancy. I have two friends that had bad adult on-set acne before getting pregnant and while they were pregnant their skin was clear but afterwards the acne did come back but at least afterwards you can use something to combat it... seems like you can't use anyhting while your pregnant. But I have also heard of situations like yours, unfortunately.

So you can't even use benzoyl peroxide when pregnant? Funny none of the benzoyl peroxide creams and washes that I have warn about pregnancy at all (which was making me think it was okay to use during pregnancy)... I am totally clear at present and I was hoping that when I start trying to become pregnant I could just maintain the clearness with Proactive products. Maybe I'll get smoothbeam right before becoming pregnant and that will help... :-k Maybe I could just use ethromycin and glycolic peels right at the start to keep myself clear.... :-k

OHHHH how I hate this freakin' disease. ](*,)

MemberMember
(@sickofthis)

Posted : 10/17/2003 10:34 pm

Mary Theres..........

You sound just like me! I too thought that I could just use the Proactive line when I got pregnant, but then my dr. scared me and said I could not use any benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid during prenancy. She wouldn't let me use anything. Then I kinda went over her head and went to my PCP and he talked to my derm and together they decided the Glycolic peels were fine to use as long as i was past the first trimester. (That is when all of the baby's organs develop). It had to be fine, my whole face was covered with cysts and scars...I was miserable and almost suicidal. sad.gif However, if I would have known what was going to happen to my skin while pregnant, I would have done Glycolic and Microdem before hand...something to get my face in primo condition before hand. But I NEVER had cystic acne like this before I was pregnant. I had mild acne that was controlled with Benzaclin...nothing prepared me for what was to come. There was absolutly no controlling it while I was pregnant not being able to use anything. But I think you are on the right track doing the smoothbeam or something before that could possibly carry you the 9 months. (longer if you plan to breastfeed). Remember this....even though I suffered greatly and still suffer from the emotional and physical scars...I would do it all again for my son. smile.gif

MemberMember
(@marytheres)

Posted : 10/18/2003 9:38 am

sick of this,

I asked around and I am hearing a variety of different responses - one person was permitted to use mild salicylic acid wash and creme, her dr. said it was fine if she wasn't applying the cream to her whole body several times a day or anything, just on her face. She had no problems

Soemone else was told to stay away from glycolic acid (whereas you were permitted to use it).

Another one used erythromycin and was fine... Yet another was told to stop using erythomycin.... but she didn't break out at all anyway...

Lastly someone else said mild Benzoyl peroxide was fine - again not applying the cream to the whole body several times a day or anything, just on the face - once a day...

Seems like your doc was a little too inflexible imo... I can't imagine being that depressed and stressed during preganancy is good for the child either...which your doc seemed to ignore....

Anyway I have a call into my doc and I'll post what she says ... i am sure it will be yet another different response

MemberMember
(@sickofthis)

Posted : 10/18/2003 4:38 pm

Mary Theres....

I can't wait to hear what your Dr. says.

It is true, if you talk to any Dr. they will all give you a different reponse...i truly believe it is b/c they REALLY don't know. I was told from other people that benzoyl peroxide was okay to use in moderation, but no Salicylic acid b/c it is derived from aspirin and can cause miscarriage. However, if you were to talk to my other friend, her Dr.told her the opposite. All I can tell you is I had 70% Glycolic Acid peels every week from 16 weeks until I was almost to term and then I did them every other week to term and my son is a beautiful healthy baby. Did I take a chance...of course I feel I did.

But like you said ( and I felt the same way), I was under so much stress that I felt that was worse for the baby then any topical medication I could possibly use. If ever pregnant again, I will use the Glycolic acid again and probably the benzoyl peroxide. We'll see what my NEW ob/gyn says...LOL! :-k Let me know what your Dr. says.

MemberMember
(@fromchicago)

Posted : 10/18/2003 5:01 pm

sorry to butt in here, but I don't think anything you put on your face in going to get to the fetus. I can think of many other things that people do that don't harm the fetus (coffee, very moderate alcohol, and smoking) People used to smoke all the way through pregnancy -- and I know that it causes very bad things, but I don't think BP or SA would even be considered a no-no.

MemberMember
(@fboba)

Posted : 12/14/2004 11:29 am

Hi,

I received a series of cortisone injections for some hypertrophic scars on the left side of my face. For a few weeks it appeared that everything worked well. The scars went down and my skin was about as smooth as it has ever been. But about two weeks after the last injection the skin starting atrophying in some spots and then those same spots started to turn darker (hyperpigment). Has anyone gone through this? I've read that the atrophy usually goes away. But what about the dark spots? I'm very nervous that it will continue to get worse. And it's got me very bummed out - the combination of atrophy with hyperpigmentation is not pretty. Any info from someone who has gone through this before is much appreciated. Specifically, if your skin developed darker spots and atrophy how long did it last, how much better did it get, when does it start recovering, etc. Thx.

Boba

MemberMember
(@arpazia)

Posted : 12/14/2004 4:38 pm

I noticed this post before but didn't feel like I had enough information to answer it but I do want to help you. The only thing that I can say is that I've had cortisone injections that caused the area to atrophy but not change color. The skin eventually went back to normal. I think this process took about a month.

The spots that you are describing sound like hyperpigmentation to me or post inflamatory coloration. It is my understanding that they naturally fade around six months to two years. There is a forum on Acne.Org were people discuss their red marks. The majority seem to have the best luck with the Apple Cider Vinegar and water method. I tried this for three weeks but didn't get glowing results. Other people use bleaching but if you are on Accutane, this might not be a good idea - - opinions on that vary as well. There are more drastic options in the form of lasers and dermabrasion but why not try the easy, painless stuff first - - right?!

What has worked for my redness (and I know this sounds silly) is eating one lemon everyday. This isn't healthy for my teeth but I really like lemons. I understand you can get the same results by drinking water with lemon juice.

I know a blemish/scar is just as traumatic as acne itself. I wish you luck!!! Check out the other forum. eusa_angel.gif

MemberMember
(@fboba)

Posted : 12/14/2004 11:32 pm

Arpazia,

Thx for the information. I'm just hoping the atrophy gets better. It's been about 2 weeks now since the last shot. I think the skin is still sinking in some spots. I'm really hoping it stops and gets better soon. Then I'll worry about the hyperpigmentation. I might try a whitening product like Licorice if it doesn't get better on it's own. It's the combination of the hyperpigmentation and indentation that's really bumming me out. I can't wait until I see some improvement. My big fear is that the atrophy will just get worse and then not rebound. I'd hate to have to resort to artificial fillers.

I noticed this post before but didn't feel like I had enough information to answer it but I do want to help you.  The only thing that I can say is that I've had cortisone injections that caused the area to atrophy but not change color.  The skin eventually went back to normal.  I think this process took about a month.

The spots that you are describing sound like hyperpigmentation to me or post inflamatory coloration.  It is my understanding that they naturally fade around six months to two years.  There is a forum on Acne.Org were people discuss their red marks.  The majority seem to have the best luck with the Apple Cider Vinegar and water method.  I tried this for three weeks but didn't get glowing results.  Other people use bleaching but if you are on Accutane, this might not be a good idea - - opinions on that vary as well.  There are more drastic options in the form of lasers and dermabrasion but why not try the easy, painless stuff first - - right?!

What has worked for my redness (and I know this sounds silly) is eating one lemon everyday.  This isn't healthy for my teeth but I really like lemons.  I understand you can get the same results by drinking water with lemon juice.

I know a blemish/scar is just as traumatic as acne itself.  I wish you luck!!!  Check out the other forum. eusa_angel.gif

MemberMember
(@ms-pigglewiggle)

Posted : 01/05/2005 11:03 am

late reply..sorry

its very common for atrophies and hyperpigmentation to occur. Its really not the cortisone shots that caused the dark spots, its the pimple. DOn't worry it has happened to me before and i was devastated. however after a month or so the atrophies have popped back up and altho the hyperpigmentation will take longer to fade. Word of advice is....shoot the damn pimple before it's fully developed and chances are that there will be no dark spots.

hope this helps...

ames

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 01/06/2005 3:46 am

yeh those dark spots can fade from 3-12months. dont fret.

MemberMember
(@atrophic)

Posted : 04/03/2005 8:42 am

fboba i am in the same position as you were and i am devastated please let me know if the indentations have filled in thanks

MemberMember
(@icanspeakwhale)

Posted : 04/03/2005 8:52 am

i had a HORRIBLE experience with cortisone injections. last one i had atrophied and left a purple dent the size of a US quarter... had two rounds of restylane injected to raise the indent. 4 months later it's still red and the skin looks weird.... derm told me to wait a year before looking into further treatment

MemberMember
(@atrophic)

Posted : 04/11/2005 2:56 pm

how long did you have to wait before you had it filled? has anyone else had this experience-my scar is in the middle of my face and is the size of a small coin. i am unable to even sleep at night

MemberMember
(@icanspeakwhale)

Posted : 04/11/2005 7:04 pm

how long did you have to wait before you had it filled? has anyone else had this experience-my scar is in the middle of my face and is the size of a small coin. i am unable to even sleep at night

MemberMember
(@atrophic)

Posted : 04/13/2005 8:56 am

thank you so much for all your advice you are the first person who i have been able to speak to and who has been able to give me some information.some people say on this website that their dents popped up after about 2 months i wonder howcome some heal and others dont.

i am really angry with my derm for not telling me the risks- i actually had perfect skin before this.

i heard that restalin isnt permanent so do you think it has worn off on you and that the actual dent is getting better?

i think that if a derm doesnt tell his patient of the risk of atrophy with cortisone injections he is totally negligent.

thanks again and please reply soon

MemberMember
(@atrophic)

Posted : 04/13/2005 9:01 am

has anyone else had this experience of atrophy with cortisone injections i am desperate to find out what the chances of mine getting better are

thanks

MemberMember
(@icanspeakwhale)

Posted : 04/13/2005 6:52 pm

restylane actually lasts 6-12 months. way longer and way safer than collagen. i don't think it wore off... just that the indent was so deep i needed so much but could only afford so much, you know?

it will heal. it has to. skin regenerates itself every 6 months or so. i think mine will take a full year. but after 4 months i started seeing the most healing.

restylane comes in prefilled needles... 1cc each i beleive and that's how they charge; per cc. at least that's how they do it here in taipei. i imagine the states in the same or canada... anywhere in the west.

i had a total of 2 cc's but needed 3-4.

keep me posted