Notifications
Clear all

Problem...

(@LewisS)

Posted : 05/07/2013 3:40 am

This isn't a direct problem with acne, but something that has been caused (or worsened) by trying to treat acne. I've always had dry, itchy skin around the creases of my nose which has never been that severe or bothersome. I started the caveman regimen a few weeks ago which caused dry skin to build up, although I still didn't find it more irritating or itchy than normal.

I decided that I'd finally use a splash of warm water to remove some of the dead skin - it kinda worked, but also dried it out making it really really itchy. I have no idea what to do, should I use a cleanser? Do I have some kind of seborrheic dermatitis? What creams should I use to combat it?

I've tried applying moisturiser around the creases of my nose, but it seems it just makes it worse in the end and kind of provides a 'breeding ground' for whatever is making it itch. It all turns a yellowy colour and it's just not nice. I woke up last night and wanted to rip my nose off. I really don't want to aggravate the area so I'm refraining from itching, I really don't want it to look as bad as it feels.

Help? sad.png

MemberMember
(@acnesmm)

Posted : 05/07/2013 5:39 am

You know, I have like the same think! I don' know what to do..hoep someone can reply and help!

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 05/07/2013 6:24 am

splash of warm water doesnt really remove dead skin.

(@LewisS)

Posted : 05/07/2013 6:42 am

Well I had to go against what I thought and used my cetaphil cleanser...it's still really flaky and itchy. I don't know what to do with my skin anymore. If it's not acne it's something else...

MemberMember
(@xxyy)

Posted : 05/07/2013 6:59 am

I get this whenever I try to stop using BP (even when I switched to using 2% BHA). Its like every pore in the corner of my nose is a tiny whitehead which then go dry and horrible and its pretty nasty. I know youre going caveman but maybe use a tiny bit of BP just in the folds of the nose? Quinoderm did the trick for me (it has an extra antibactieral and lactic acid to dissolve the dead skin) if you have any lying around. feeling it now (casually feeling my nostrils okay) its like perfectly smooth but 3 weeks ago it was all horrible and blergh, I even tried tea tree oil and that didnt help in the slightest.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 05/07/2013 7:18 am

can u add a pic?

low% bha would help remove dead skin.but if its seborrheic dermatitis,u should be using anti-fungal shampoo or cream.

2-3 days should show some result.at least.

i would also suggest u to take care of other aspects like diet(specially sugar and dairy) and lifestyle.

trust me it helps.

also,do a saliva test tomorrw morning.just to check.

i know a guy here who know's a lot about dermatitis. http://www.acne.org/messageboard/user/203538-quetzlcoatl/

(@LewisS)

Posted : 05/07/2013 7:29 am

Well my skin was doing great for almost a week and then as soon as it became itchy I used water and it's all gone downhill from there. I have a moisturiser that contains 0.5% salicylic acid, which I haven't used yet, but I'm tempted to.

I just find it annoying that I used absolutely nothing on my skin for a week and it was in the best condition that it had ever been, then as soon as I let water touch it, it's a mess.

My diet is pretty good in regards to sugar, perhaps not as much dairy. I have milk in my tea and eat yoghurt, but it's never affected me in the past.

Thanks for the advice :)

(@LewisS)

Posted : 05/07/2013 12:21 pm

So tonight I'm wondering whether I should cleanse or not. I'd much rather have a little acne from cleansing compared to itchy dead skin...

aanabill? haha I need your advice! :)

MemberMember
(@rinakaushik)

Posted : 05/07/2013 4:02 pm

I think leave it alone. Alternatively, treat it with a steroid for a week. But do proceed with caution! I have used Halobetasol Propionate 0.05% cream a month back to remove dry skin left over as a result of a herbal cream that didn't work. But this was prescribed to me by a dermatologist.

The dry skin should ideally be moisturised till it peels and falls off on its own.

(@LewisS)

Posted : 05/08/2013 12:18 am

I don't use steroid creams anymore...I used to use them for a skin infection I had and they damaged my skin.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 05/08/2013 10:36 am

So tonight I'm wondering whether I should cleanse or not. I'd much rather have a little acne from cleansing compared to itchy dead skin...

aanabill? haha I need your advice! smile.png

see if ur skin is itchy because its dry and flaky then moisturising and a good gentle cleanser would help if used over a time.

but if its dermatitis then u have to find out what kind of dermatitis?

as for cavemen method,it dint suit me.at all.

i dont get the logic.

but i'm told many love it and have been benefited so am happy that its working for u.

(@LewisS)

Posted : 05/08/2013 2:09 pm

Hey aanabill, thanks for the support. I don't think it was dermatitis, it seems to be clearing up now.

I've had a revelation (which is something I chose to ignore in the past). Along with changing my diet, I decided to use filtered tap water to wash my face instead of from the regular tap. Surprisingly my skin doesn't have that immediate itchy feeling and feels great.

Not sure if its the diet or the water, probably a combination. But I know my regular tap water contains a lot of lead...not sure if that affects acne.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 05/09/2013 12:51 pm

Hey aanabill, thanks for the support. I don't think it was dermatitis, it seems to be clearing up now.

I've had a revelation (which is something I chose to ignore in the past). Along with changing my diet, I decided to use filtered tap water to wash my face instead of from the regular tap. Surprisingly my skin doesn't have that immediate itchy feeling and feels great.

Not sure if its the diet or the water, probably a combination. But I know my regular tap water contains a lot of lead...not sure if that affects acne.

its really okay.i understand ur situation.

when u say filtered do u mean using the ordinary filter with white candles which clear water?

how long have u been on the diet u're on?

do u have a link to u diet?if not,u can PM me or write it here.

(@LewisS)

Posted : 05/09/2013 2:17 pm

It's basically just healthy eating, nothing in particular. Just eating fresh vegetables with meat and nothing else (no processed foods).

Since using the filtered water, I haven't got dry skin, but I'm having a breakout right now, I can see the tiny whiteheads coming through.

Really done with acne.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 05/12/2013 2:02 pm

sorry for replying late.for some reason i dont get notified.

dont give up.

what kind of filtered water is it?

do u have dairy?sugar?

did u do a saliva test?

what is ur skincare routinr and lifestyle like?

how old r u?