Notifications
Clear all

Low Methylation As A Cause For Acne?

MemberMember
(@luizedu)

Posted : 05/06/2013 6:18 pm

After trying different routes to treat my acne, I started, by advice of my naturopath, looking into my high homocysteine level as a possible culprit. I took a B12 shot (I'm vegan, so it's most likely my B12, not my folic acid is the bottleneck when degrading homocysteine) and have been taking sublingual B12 too. I still haven't had a new blood test to see if it's reduced, but I will soon.

Reading about the subject, I stumbled upon this [Link removed], which describes the dangers of high homocysteine and how to reduce it. I also found an old thread from this forums

It doesn't have any sources to back its claims, but it's interesting nonetheless.

To sum it up, homocysteine is an amino-acid formed from methionine that is quite dangerous in many ways, and is better marker for heart disease than cholesterol. "It is metabolized through two pathways: remethylation and transsulfuration. Remethylation requires folate and B12 coenzymes; transsulfuration requires pyridoxal-5-phosphate, the B6 coenzyme." (Lef.org)

Then, trying understand methylation, I found this page www.healthboards.com/boards/acne/296667-acne-new-theory.html which has some very interesting information that seems to put together many "culprits" under one coherent (or almost) theory. This somewhat more scientific page seems to give that "new theory" some credibility http://www.custommedicine.com.au/uncategorized/histadelia-under-methylation/

I didn't go very deep into the thread, but basically it claims that some people are genetically predisposed to have what is "biochemically but not yet medically recognized" as "histadelic metabolism". "Histadelics have super-fact metabolism, at a cellular level (rather than a glandular one). Super-fast metabolisms burn food much faster and less cleanly and so produce much more toxins than the cellular (and liver) anti-oxidant systems can cope with." (kkpb7825, page 1) The characteristics of this condition may also explain why fasting and insulin helps acne. According to this user, "during fasting, insulin levels fall to almost nothing, so it cannot be the insulin itself that is helping acne it must be something it is doing! When fasting there is no food to 'give off' toxins and in the second case, giving Insulin causes a switch in metabolism from catabolism (burning food) to anabolism (storing food), a histadelic metabolism is a catabolic one." See also these posts http://www.healthboards.com/boards/1829875-post62.html http://www.healthboards.com/boards/1844901-post88.html

"High-histamine levels are due to a metabolic imbalance known as under-methylation, a biochemical process responsible for the elimination of histamine as well as other functions." (Custommedicine.au)

Again, according to that same user, "Thus, because histadelics have chronically raised histamine they 'run out' of SAMe (amino-acid that gives the methyl group in the methylation process), which can have bad consequences for the body, they become under-methylators. So It seems that from all angles histadelia seems to set up the appropriate conditions for acne-genesis...toxins, low nutrients, low zinc, high copper, immune imbalance, delayed-type hypersensitivity and now low-methylation."

It seems this route of treatment and research may be interesting for those who fit the profile of under-methylators/histadelics, as not only could this condition be in the core of one's acne issues, it could also increase the chances of heart diseases and other serious diseases.

What do you think about it? Has anyone tried something similar to what's prescribed in page 2 of that Lef.org site?

MemberMember
(@luizedu)

Posted : 05/07/2013 2:31 pm

Another interesting piece of information: Homocysteine, free-radicals, elevated blood sugar, uric acid and oxidized lipoproteins, are the main inducers of chronic inflammation.

[Link removed]

Here on the forums most people only seem to worry about sugar levels and somewhat about eating the right kinds of fats, but rarely about the others, maybe that's why most don't see results despite a very strict "healthy" diet: there's much more to it than just sugar and fats, the underlying cause of acne-inducing chronic inflammation may be something that requires a more "scientific" intervention.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 05/07/2013 5:43 pm

Yeah, we do have a few threads on over and under methylators. And histadelics?? I'd love to read all you found, but don't think I can right now.

Methylation is how epigenetic changes occur - how you change your genes. It's an important topic.

However, from the info in our prior threads, I concluded that it didn't sound like it was my issue. I certainly do not burn calories at a high rate.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 10/16/2014 3:15 pm

Bump....great post!

MemberMember
(@sustakp)

Posted : 05/23/2015 6:40 pm

bump once again as histamines seem to be up on the boards these days.

Any hints as to how to improve under methylation?

MemberMember
(@luckydory)

Posted : 05/27/2015 4:05 pm

I am currectnly looking into the methalaytion cycle also. Have you looked up pyroluria? I have more of the symtoms of pyroluria but if I come up negative under the simple urine screening I plan to move on to inspecting my methalaytion system somehow. I like to come on acne.org because there is always a new idea on what could be causing these skin problems. If the tests come back saying otherwise I move on to the next thing and start experimenting with that theory. Although I have probably tried over 500+ different things to help my skin conditiions I still have not found all the answers. BUT i have seemed to get my seb derm under control after years and years so although the acne/cyst problem is still occuring I have beat one skin disease that my derm said I would have the rest of my life.

MemberMember
(@mimij67)

Posted : 08/28/2017 2:23 pm

ALta vista i always love your posts and understand your point about not connecting methylation due to the way your body manages weight. but with biochemistry I am learning we can have different things going on at once (undermethylation, copper toxicity, pyroluria, etc etc) or overmethylation and copper toxicity, or mast cell activation, udermethylation, and copper toxicity... you get the point. Whole blood histamine is the first clue into undermethylation and a key test for anyone reading who is interested. Also Samathagilbert.com excellent source (her blog posts) on this topic

Copper toxicity is linked to acne as I believe undermethylation is. You can read about it on Samanthagilbert.com blog