Green Smoothies Hav...

Notifications
Clear all

Green Smoothies Have Reduced The Oiliness Of My Skin By About 50%

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 05/05/2013 6:27 pm

My skin is usually incredibly oily. Like the excessive oiliness where you can see visible oil on my skin within 30 minutes of washing it. My scalp, shoulders, chest, back, and neck also get very oily by the end of the day; not to the point where you can see the oil, but I can definitely feel it. So the past 2 weeks I have been drinking a green smoothie every morning, and I'd say my oil production has been reduced by about 50%. My skin goes much longer without getting oily, my shoulders, chest and neck don't even feel oily anymore, and I can now go two days between washing my hair. This has been a huge relief for me. After my oily skin survived accutane I didn't think I'd get relief like this from anything. Here's my recipe:

1/2 banana

4-6 frozen pineapple cubes

1 handful frozen strawberries

2-3 handfuls frozen spinach

1 cup of water (or more or less depending on what consistency you like your smoothies)

1 packet of splenda

Next I plan to try a low glycemic load diet to see if that helps even more :)

carwinns liked
MemberMember
(@carwinns)

Posted : 05/05/2013 6:38 pm

My skin is usually incredibly oily. Like the excessive oiliness where you can see visible oil on my skin within 30 minutes of washing it. My scalp, shoulders, chest, back, and neck also get very oily by the end of the day; not to the point where you can see the oil, but I can definitely feel it. So the past 2 weeks I have been drinking a green smoothie every morning, and I'd say my oil production has been reduced by about 50%. My skin goes much longer without getting oily, my shoulders, chest and neck don't even feel oily anymore, and I can now go two days between washing my hair. This has been a huge relief for me. After my oily skin survived accutane I didn't think I'd get relief like this from anything. Here's my recipe:

1/2 banana

1 cup of water (or more or less depending on what consistency you like your smoothies)

1 packet of splenda

Next I plan to try a low glycemic load diet to see if that helps even more smile.png

Wow, that's really interesting! I'd really like to try this. Does everything HAVE to be frozen or...? And does it taste good? I'm not too sure how good spinach and fruits sound together :P

MemberMember
(@auguriesofinnocence)

Posted : 05/05/2013 6:58 pm

hey thats a good thing! I wonder, if you tried spearming extract in these smoothies?(maybe mint would taste better with chocolate soy milk...?) I would also recommend parsley as it is a blood claeanser. If you mix it with carrots/apples/pineapple it cancels out the taste mostly.

1/2 banana

1 packet of splenda

Next I plan to try a low glycemic load diet to see if that helps even more smile.png

MemberMember
(@jofo)

Posted : 05/05/2013 8:21 pm

Is there anything that you avoid in your diet, or have you just started drinking green smoothies on top of your regular diet? I unfortunately have been drinking green smoothies for about 2 years with no change in my oil production, but I'm always interested when people manage to reduce oil through diet changes.

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 05/05/2013 8:29 pm

1/2 banana

1 packet of splenda

Wow, that's really interesting! I'd really like to try this. Does everything HAVE to be frozen or...? And does it taste good? I'm not too sure how good spinach and fruits sound together tongue.png

I don't think it matters if the stuff is frozen. I was using unfrozen spinach, but then decided it was cheaper to buy it in bulk and put it in the freezer so it doesn't go bad. I find, though, that the more frozen stuff you use, the more water you will have to add to get it to a smoothie consistency. And the taste is actually pretty good! If I don't add the splenda or mess up the fruit to spinach ratio it doesn't taste that great, but I'm still able to easily drink it without being grossed out. It does look gross though, but that's something I think you'd just have to get used to.

Is there anything that you avoid in your diet, or have you just started drinking green smoothies on top of your regular diet? I unfortunately have been drinking green smoothies for about 2 years with no change in my oil production, but I'm always interested when people manage to reduce oil through diet changes.

I just started drinking regular smoothies on top of my regular diet. My regular diet isn't that bad though. I usually don't eat junk, but my meals are definitely not always of a low glycemic impact. Have you tried juicing? I have heard of people reducing their oil production by juicing too, but I'm a little scared of the taste of pure vegetable juice.

hey thats a good thing! I wonder, if you tried spearming extract in these smoothies?(maybe mint would taste better with chocolate soy milk...?) I would also recommend parsley as it is a blood claeanser. If you mix it with carrots/apples/pineapple it cancels out the taste mostly.

1/2 banana

1 packet of splenda

Thanks for the ideas! The smoothies don't actually taste bad at all. I might use the mint idea though when I try juicing because I am afraid of the taste of that. I'm also going to try the parsley because I have some growing in my backyard right now :)

MemberMember
(@jofo)

Posted : 05/05/2013 8:54 pm

I just started drinking regular smoothies on top of my regular diet. My regular diet isn't that bad though. I usually don't eat junk, but my meals are definitely not always of a low glycemic impact. Have you tried juicing? I have heard of people reducing their oil production by juicing too, but I'm a little scared of the taste of pure vegetable juice.

I was juicing for a little while at the beginning of the year but stopped after two months because it was rough on my stomach (and there was no improvement in oil). Now I just eat a bunch of vegetables instead. Would you mind providing an example of the kinds of food you eat on a typical day?

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 05/05/2013 9:31 pm

I was juicing for a little while at the beginning of the year but stopped after two months because it was rough on my stomach (and there was no improvement in oil). Now I just eat a bunch of vegetables instead. Would you mind providing an example of the kinds of food you eat on a typical day?

Oh that's too bad about the juicing. I guess today was a typical day for me so I'll say what I ate.

Breakfast: green smoothie, eggs, pineapple, whole grain toast

Lunch: Grilled hamburger on a wheat bun with lettuce, tomato, and mayo

Dinner: Breaded chicken, rice, half a potato, cauliflower, broccoli, asparagus, strawberries and a banana

Snacks: pieces of dark chocolate and some raisinettes.

Like I said, I don't think it's too bad. Last night I went out though and had a bunch of NY style pizza. Me and my bf also frequent vietnamese restaurants and I usually get pork with rice and veggies.

I actually have PCOS, but am very lean. I have elevated testosterone and DHEA which my doctor has told me contributes to my oily skin. So the fact that just a green smoothie a day is helping my oily skin (my worst PCOS symptom) is so exciting for me. I still have other symptoms though and my skin is still about twice as oily as a normal person so in the future I'd really like to further restrict my diet to help with those.