Notifications
Clear all

Moderate Acne At 23; No Pcos, Normal Hormones, Running Out Of Ideas 🙁

MemberMember
(@hobnob)

Posted : 05/04/2013 8:19 am

Hi all, first post! Been battling acne for about 10 years, and am hoping someone here might be able to offer me some new advice.

I'm a 23 year old female with moderate acne, very oily skin and mild hirsutism. My hormone levels have been checked, and they are fine. I have been checked for PCOS but I do not have it. I tried going on Yaz for a year but there was no significant improvement. I've tried various prescription treatments (antibiotics, lotions) but nothing makes a permanent difference. I've tried eating healthily, leaving it alone, drinking gallons of water, absolutely everything I can think of. My parents had grown out of it at my age, and at this point I am ready to pretty much give up and accept it, but it's a struggle, and I know that everyone here understands how frustrating it can be.

I can't really think of anything else to try at this point other than accutane. If there is ANYTHING that anyone can suggest for someone in my position then please do, because I'm willing to try practically anything. :\

MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 05/04/2013 10:04 am

Im a male but pretty much in the same situation as you. But Ive even tried Accutane and it still came back.. I think our main problem is our oily skin and Accutane doesnt permanently solve that.

MemberMember
(@hobnob)

Posted : 05/04/2013 5:16 pm

Yeah, I think you're right there, the oily skin is definitely a huge part of the problem. I've been using Duac gel for a couple of months now and have not noticed any difference at all. The doctor warned me that it might dry out or irritate my skin - HAH, not with skin this oily.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 05/04/2013 6:42 pm

If you have acne and hirsutism together you have a hormone problem, no matter what the "tests" say. You can have good levels but your body can still be incapable of utilizing the hormones properly.

Google "bioidentical progesterone and acne" or "bioidentical progesterone and hirsutism"