Notifications
Clear all

Best Way To Cover Pitted Scars

MemberMember
(@kahlen)

Posted : 05/02/2013 5:28 pm

Hiding pitted acne scars is soooooo frusterating because it seems the more makeup you apply, the more they show! But I recently bought something that has REALLY helped in making the deep scars a lot less noticeable and the shallow ones completely dissapear. It's smashbox photo finish targeted pore and line primer. The consistency is really thick, so its almost like plastering the tiny indents on your face so it's the same level as the surrounding skin which makes an amazing canvas for you to apply your other makeup. Because it's really thick, I would only apply it to your scar areas and not all over (unless you have them all over). I also think it works best when you use a regular primer underneath (I use smashbox photo finish foundation primer underneath, but I think any primer would do the trick.) Another good trick is to apply layers of it, but give it a minute in between layering to let it dry.

Honestly, using this primer has made a world of difference. Before my makeup sank into all the pits which kinda of cast a shadow making them look a lot more aparent.

Still working on treating my pit scars, but until then I'm glad I founnd a better way to cover them up. I really hope this helps anyone else who feels self concious about their pitted scars, I know how much they suck; they're nearly impossible to get rid of, the least we can do is be able to cover them up

MemberMember
(@stella-the-diver)

Posted : 05/02/2013 7:55 pm

I bought that!But don't even know if i'm putting it wrong or if my scar is too deep to be covered...? When I fill in the hole, do I blend it it or do I just let it sit there? If I let it sit there, it stays white, is that normal?

MemberMember
(@kahlen)

Posted : 05/02/2013 8:26 pm

I know what you mean; the product can be very finicky. The very first time I used this product, i had a lot of white streaking left over. One thing I did note was that if your skin is flaking, the product will highlight that, so exfoliating beforehand is best.

For me, this is what I do to get the best results (still experimenting, but so far this is the best way I found. If I find a better way, I'll let you guys know):

Do your morning mosturizing ritual (don't forget sunscreen! never forget the sunscreen!)

I use the smashbox photo finish primer all over

Then I use the smashbox targeted primer and apply it directly to all my pitted scars (the fine tip makes it easier to apply directly into pitted areas)

Once I apply it to all the pitted scars, I use either my fingertips or a fine (flat) brush to smooth it into the pitted areas (when using my fingertips, i think patting it in works best)

I wait for a minute to let it dry (if I'm in a rush I'll only do one layer) and then apply another layer where neeeded (the deeper scars) and repeat as needed (I have some pretty deep scars that I'll apply three layers to)

Then I'll apply a light layer of my bb cream (or foundation, i don't have any dark spots, but if you do go ahead and apply concealer before the foundation)

I'll finish with a light powder to set everything

This is what I do when I want full coverage (for dates, night outs, special occasions), but most of the time I usually skip the bb cream, and just do the powder.

I don't really recommend using this product by itself (it can leave white spots) so I would use something with color over it to hide those spots (foundation podwer or liquid)

let me know if you have any more questions or anyone who has good tips for using this

MemberMember
(@exhibit_n)

Posted : 05/19/2013 6:50 pm

I tried this but it just leaves a white spot that wipes off as soon as I try to apply my foundation. I let it dry for 25 mins and lightly brushed my foundation over it. What brand of bb cream and brush do you use? I'm just not having any luck.

MemberMember
(@4meracneguy)

Posted : 05/23/2013 3:20 am

I have a way to cover ice pick/scarred pores/small diameter boxcar scars. I've had my scars for 6 years and have experimented with an endless amount of makeup combinations. About 2 years ago I finally found the right permutation to hide the pitted scars. I noticed that scars with elevations around the scar itself aren't easily concealed by my complex method (takes 30-40 mins to hide 60ish ice picks). Neither is the one rolling scar i have. Smashbox photo finish, coincidentally, is one of the three components I use in my technique. I've lost YEARS over my scars.

MemberMember
(@kahlen)

Posted : 07/01/2013 5:10 pm

So more experimenting, I think using just powder works better for the spots where you used the targeted primer. I use baremineral foundation and just a regular foundation brush. Also, another thing I tried that seems to work great it going over the area with another thin layer of regular primer on top of the targeted primer. Do it lightly, because the primer makes the targeted primer turn kind of... gooey? Hard to explain. But yeah, liquid foundation seems to be hard to apply over this stuff. Definitely reccommend powdered foundation.