Notifications
Clear all

What Would You Recommend? I'm Going Bp Free

MemberMember
(@lilmiss22)

Posted : 04/30/2013 12:40 am

This has background information in it as well, so its quite long! I apologize for the length!

I'm on my 6th year of suffering acne, I'm almost 16. My main problem was always whiteheads. My forehead was covered in pesky little bumps.. You could touch every part of my forehead with the tip of your pinky finger and not find a clear space for it. Anyway, my doctor recommended a benzoyl peroxide wash- benzac AC (non prescription) which I used for a good 4 years and then on and off up untill about 4 months ago. My doctor also prescribed me a gel- Eryacne, which I used nightly every night for this period of time. But four months ago, I finally went to an actual dermatologist. She had me stop everything I was using and have me a regime- cleanse face with cetaphil gentle skin cleanser, nightly use Epiduo all over my face, use Eryacne as a spot treatment and if my face gets excessively dry, use cetaphil mosturizing lotion.

Since then, my acne had gotten a whole lot better... But my overall skin was a lot worse! My skin was already fairly photosensitive and whitened from years using Benzac AC (and I have tan olive skin, so without makeup it looked horrible), but then my skin got extremely sensitive, it was very white and dull (and that's saying something, I have oily skin but with proper care I can have a lovely glow to my skin), very blotchy, my checks became really red and my face sort of looked permanently sunburnt, my skin became very weak, and not to mention the Post inflammatory hyperpigmentation! Before I started on this regime I had about 5 hyperpigmentation spots, but now I have way too many to count!

I knew few of these side effects of BP- all I was told was that it could bleach my skin and towels, dry my skin out and make me more sensitive to the sun. But about a month ago I got fed up with my complexion and finally did research on BP (I usually research everything I put on my skin, but this time I put trust in my doctors- oh the regret). I immediately stopped using epiduo. My skin tone has improved a lot in just that month! My skin is starting to get its colour back (not by tanning, my natural skin colour), I have noticed some of my Post inflammatory hyperpigmentation has faded, my skin is glowy and I spent my holidays (the last two weeks) makeup free. But how I'm starting to break out from stopping. I counted last night, 28 spot on my face (some very little) have got heads, and my forehead is getting bumpy again!!! I do not want my skin to relapse, but I refuse to use BP! I go back to the dermatologist in a week (I don't think she will be happy with my sudden decision to stop- I know I should have weaned off it but I really just wanted to stop it ASAP) So my question is, what topical cream/gel anything would you recommend? It's mainly whiteheads that I'm getting, but they're so stubborn and mine can stick around for months each spot! Is there any thing that won't have all these horride side effects? I hated my skin being white and blotched with red patches, and hate that the BP has made my post acne marks stil around longer.. Do you know of anything that won't do this to me?

But I think I'm asking too much.. If there was one miracle product I'm sure I would have known by now.

I'm on birth control (Estelle) now, and I'm going to ask for another round of antibiotics to calm this breakout and help my skin adjust to no BP. Is there anything you think I should ask for? For both my existing acne and Post inflammatory hyperpigmentation?

Sorry this was so long! Thanks to anyone who read it all (:

MemberMember
(@kelseylee)

Posted : 04/30/2013 1:52 am

theres plenty of other stuff they can give u besides bp..retin a...differin...salycilic/glycolic acid...aha (alpha hydroxy acid) good luck and its always good to follow your intuitions! its ultimately your choice, not the doctors.

MemberMember
(@rinakaushik)

Posted : 05/07/2013 3:58 pm

I would say stay away from BP and go natural if possible. I am in the process of trying turmeric. Check out my post.

Have you tried a combination of clindamycin and adapalene? It works for some people. I had used it briefly and it made bumps (not actual pus filled pimples) disapper overnight.

MemberMember
(@lilmiss22)

Posted : 05/08/2013 12:37 am

I would say stay away from BP and go natural if possible. I am in the process of trying turmeric. Check out my post.

Have you tried a combination of clindamycin and adapalene? It works for some people. I had used it briefly and it made bumps (not actual pus filled pimples) disapper overnight.

I've heard plenty of good things about turmeric, I'll look more into that (:

I'm trying to go natural, as much as possible anyway..

My dermatologist just prescribed me differin gel so I might give that a try. The benzoyl peroxide and adapalene combination (epiduo) worked really well but it was too irritating, which my dermatologist put down to having BP in it. I'm glad, because I don't want to use BP anymore. Although even after I told her that she was still trying to convince me to use epiduo. She's not a very people person, but is apparently very good (according to my old GP) so I'll give her a shot. Apparently she talked a lot more to my brother, maybe she just doesn't like me ? Meh.

Thanks for the reply (:

theres plenty of other stuff they can give u besides bp..retin a...differin...salycilic/glycolic acid...aha (alpha hydroxy acid) good luck and its always good to follow your intuitions! its ultimately your choice, not the doctors.

Yes, well I've just been prescribed differin gel so fingers crossed this works better!

MemberMember
(@rinakaushik)

Posted : 05/08/2013 2:51 am

My dermatologist just prescribed me differin gel so I might give that a try. The benzoyl peroxide and adapalene combination (epiduo) worked really well but it was too irritating, which my dermatologist put down to having BP in it. I'm glad, because I don't want to use BP anymore. Although even after I told her that she was still trying to convince me to use epiduo. She's not a very people person, but is apparently very good (according to my old GP) so I'll give her a shot. Apparently she talked a lot more to my brother, maybe she just doesn't like me ? Meh.

Thanks for the reply (:

>theres plenty of other stuff they can give u besides bp..retin a...differin...salycilic/glycolic acid...aha (alpha hydroxy acid) good luck and its always good to follow your intuitions! its ultimately your choice, not the doctors.

Yes, well I've just been prescribed differin gel so fingers crossed this works better!

All the best! I hope differin works out for you. Also try to take a blood purifier everyday like neem, holy basil or turmeric.

MemberMember
(@lilmiss22)

Posted : 05/09/2013 3:13 am

Thanks for the reply (:

>theres plenty of other stuff they can give u besides bp..retin a...differin...salycilic/glycolic acid...aha (alpha hydroxy acid) good luck and its always good to follow your intuitions! its ultimately your choice, not the doctors.

All the best! I hope differin works out for you. Also try to take a blood purifier everyday like neem, holy basil or turmeric.

Thanks! I'll look into the turmeric (:

MemberMember
(@rinakaushik)

Posted : 05/09/2013 3:18 am

All the best! Hope it works for you! :-)