Notifications
Clear all

How Long Before Improvement From Needling Shows?

MemberMember
(@hiddy-cheeks)

Posted : 04/29/2013 4:10 am

Just wondering if anyone who has had success from needling can tell me how long it was before they noticed an improvement in the appearance of their scars. I self needled a few scars for the first time about 2 weeks ago and have seen no change aside from temporary swelling which has now disappeared. Also, if you've needled and had no results feel free to say so. I'm fairly sceptical to be honest but thought I'd give needling a go as my options are fairly limited.

MemberMember
(@nuby3)

Posted : 04/29/2013 7:18 am

what did you needle with? how aggressive were you? what type of scars did you needle? it will take months to see improvements. I have seen a lot of improvement in 5 months but what you eat and what supplements you take and what you put on your face after you roll is a huge part of it.

by the way, when I say a lot of improvement, I don't mean my scars are gone. just that they have obviously gotten better/softer/shallower. I still have a long long way to go.

MemberMember
(@nuby3)

Posted : 04/29/2013 7:48 pm

Just wondering if anyone who has had success from needling can tell me how long it was before they noticed an improvement in the appearance of their scars. I self needled a few scars for the first time about 2 weeks ago and have seen no change aside from temporary swelling which has now disappeared. Also, if you've needled and had no results feel free to say so. I'm fairly sceptical to be honest but thought I'd give needling a go as my options are fairly limited.

Also, I wanted to add, there is nothing to be skeptical about, needling works. It will definitely make a difference and make your scars less noticeable. I had someone I work with pull me aside and tell me my scars looked better, that's proof that it does work. I am excited to see how far it gets me in a year or two, as I plan never to stop needling ever.

MemberMember
(@hiddy-cheeks)

Posted : 04/30/2013 12:25 am

what did you needle with? how aggressive were you? what type of scars did you needle? it will take months to see improvements. I have seen a lot of improvement in 5 months but what you eat and what supplements you take and what you put on your face after you roll is a huge part of it.

by the way, when I say a lot of improvement, I don't mean my scars are gone. just that they have obviously gotten better/softer/shallower. I still have a long long way to go.

I needled with single needles that I bought from Owndoc. I hit 4 rolling scars that are failry wide and deep and 4 or 5 others that look sort of like ice picks. I was aggresive enough to draw blood and cause swelling in the rolling scars. Oddly enough the icepicks didn't really change shape at all. I suppose I was expecting to see some immediate improvement but I have not seen that. You are saying it will take months so I guess that means I will need to be patient. I hope it works, nothing else seems to. I'm in 2 minds, the other thing I'm thinking of doing is committing myself to a life time of temporary fillers but I don't really know how effective they are either.

MemberMember
(@sadpotatoes)

Posted : 11/05/2013 10:28 pm

Hi Hiddy Cheeks and NUBY3,

It's been several months since either of you posted here and I wanted to check in and see how the needling has working out for you both so far? Have you seen improvement? I needled a few scars about 2 weeks ago (boxcar and icepick) and I am wondering what I can expect. I know it's supposed to be a long process but after the microswelling went away I feel that my scars look worse! Getting nervous and hope to see some improvement... I don't want to continue to needling if it's actually making more damage. I also don't want to give up if this is normal...

Regarding the fillers - I have had success and failures with fillers... The first time I tried it (Restylane) it made a huge difference. (Temporary of course) The second time, I literally feel like it didn't make any difference at all. I don't even know how that's possible but it's very disappointing. Some of the scars that bug me the most look exactly the same. That said, if I can get permanent results from needling it would be amazing!

I needled with single needles that I bought from Owndoc. I hit 4 rolling scars that are failry wide and deep and 4 or 5 others that look sort of like ice picks. I was aggresive enough to draw blood and cause swelling in the rolling scars. Oddly enough the icepicks didn't really change shape at all. I suppose I was expecting to see some immediate improvement but I have not seen that. You are saying it will take months so I guess that means I will need to be patient. I hope it works, nothing else seems to. I'm in 2 minds, the other thing I'm thinking of doing is committing myself to a life time of temporary fillers but I don't really know how effective they are either.

MemberMember
(@hiddy-cheeks)

Posted : 11/06/2013 2:17 am

It's been several months since either of you posted here and I wanted to check in and see how the needling has working out for you both so far? Have you seen improvement? I needled a few scars about 2 weeks ago (boxcar and icepick) and I am wondering what I can expect. I know it's supposed to be a long process but after the microswelling went away I feel that my scars look worse! Getting nervous and hope to see some improvement... I don't want to continue to needling if it's actually making more damage. I also don't want to give up if this is normal...

Regarding the fillers - I have had success and failures with fillers... The first time I tried it (Restylane) it made a huge difference. (Temporary of course) The second time, I literally feel like it didn't make any difference at all. I don't even know how that's possible but it's very disappointing. Some of the scars that bug me the most look exactly the same. That said, if I can get permanent results from needling it would be amazing!

I needled my largest scars and several of the smaller ones 4 times over 6 months and haven't seen much in the way of improvement. Some definitely have not changed, one possibly looks a little wider and there may have been a small reduction in depth on a coupe of others but overall things look much the same as they always have. But that's only my experience of course, so I wouldn't take it as an indication of how yours will be.

Just on that, I watched a documentary the other night on exercise. A scientist in the UK put a group of people through a training program and recorded their results. He found that the fitness levels of 15% improved dramatically, 15% showed virtually no improvement and the rest fell somewhere between the 2 extremes. His conclusion was that this is representative of the population in general. I know scar treatments and exercise are not the same thing, but his experiment does show how people's bodies respond differently to outside stresses and stimuli. I suspect something similar is going on with scar treatments and this would explain why some people swear by needling and others think it's useless. The moral of the story I suppose is to keep trying different treatments until hopefully you find something that works.

As for fillers, I spoke with a nurse the other day who has been injecting fillers for 10 years. She told me most of my scars were too shallow for fillers. She said that fillers won't improve the appearance of shallow scars much, if at all, and that there is a risk of over correction. For the record, my scars are typical acne scars and look much the same as photos people post on here of their scarred cheeks, so it's not like I am trying to treat tiny imperfections that aren't noticeable. I think what the nurse was saying is that fillers work best for really deep pits. She also said that no matter what the treatment, people with deep scars always get the most dramatic improvements and that the shallower scars get, the harder it is to improve them. I thought that was interesting.

You said fillers worked once for you. What type of scars do you have? Are they deep?

u1971 liked
MemberMember
(@sadpotatoes)

Posted : 11/06/2013 3:53 pm

I needled my largest scars and several of the smaller ones 4 times over 6 months and haven't seen much in the way of improvement. Some definitely have not changed, one possibly looks a little wider and there may have been a small reduction in depth on a coupe of others but overall things look much the same as they always have. But that's only my experience of course, so I wouldn't take it as an indication of how yours will be.

Just on that, I watched a documentary the other night on exercise. A scientist in the UK put a group of people through a training program and recorded their results. He found that the fitness levels of 15% improved dramatically, 15% showed virtually no improvement and the rest fell somewhere between the 2 extremes. His conclusion was that this is representative of the population in general. I know scar treatments and exercise are not the same thing, but his experiment does show how people's bodies respond differently to outside stresses and stimuli. I suspect something similar is going on with scar treatments and this would explain why some people swear by needling and others think it's useless. The moral of the story I suppose is to keep trying different treatments until hopefully you find something that works.

As for fillers, I spoke with a nurse the other day who has been injecting fillers for 10 years. She told me most of my scars were too shallow for fillers. She said that fillers won't improve the appearance of shallow scars much, if at all, and that there is a risk of over correction. For the record, my scars are typical acne scars and look much the same as photos people post on here of their scarred cheeks, so it's not like I am trying to treat tiny imperfections that aren't noticeable. I think what the nurse was saying is that fillers work best for really deep pits. She also said that no matter what the treatment, people with deep scars always get the most dramatic improvements and that the shallower scars get, the harder it is to improve them. I thought that was interesting.

You said fillers worked once for you. What type of scars do you have? Are they deep?

I'm sorry to hear that you haven't seen very much improvement, that's really disappointing. I do think you're right regarding the differences in the way people's scars respond, everyone is just different.

I had fillers before which elevated both shallow and deeper scars so I'm not really sure what happened this round. I would say that I have mostly boxcar and icepick that bother me. I also have some rolling/texture issues as well but I would try to focus on that after dealing with the deeper scars if possible.

Do you think you're going to continue needling or have you decided to stop?

MemberMember
(@hiddy-cheeks)

Posted : 11/07/2013 12:57 am

I'm sorry to hear that you haven't seen very much improvement, that's really disappointing. I do think you're right regarding the differences in the way people's scars respond, everyone is just different.

I had fillers before which elevated both shallow and deeper scars so I'm not really sure what happened this round. I would say that I have mostly boxcar and icepick that bother me. I also have some rolling/texture issues as well but I would try to focus on that after dealing with the deeper scars if possible.

I'm not quite prepared to give up yet. I'm thinking of maybe having it done professionally or else looking to buy an electric dermapen type device off the net, though I have no idea if these are any good. Does anyone have experience with one?

MemberMember
(@sadpotatoes)

Posted : 11/07/2013 7:06 pm

I'm not quite prepared to give up yet. I'm thinking of maybe having it done professionally or else looking to buy an electric dermapen type device off the net, though I have no idea if these are any good. Does anyone have experience with one?

Here is some info from owndoc on dermarolling including dermapens that might be useful. http://dermaroller.owndoc.com/dermaroller-instructions.pdf It mentions that some people don't see results for 10 months - over a year! That is very frustrating. :(