Notifications
Clear all

Should I Stop Using Soap? Bumps All Over Body

MemberMember
(@skz)

Posted : 04/28/2013 9:56 pm

Hi.

A few months ago I got sick with double pneumonia and was on a heavy set of antibiotics for two weeks. As a result of those antibiotics, I developed small bumps all over my body that my doctor calls folliculitis.

Now, the problem is that I've had these bumps since November. Here are some pictures so you can see pre and post.

post-207167-0-88587700-1367203941_thumb.

post-207167-0-33952600-1367203932_thumb.post-207167-0-35028600-1367203933_thumb.post-207167-0-30568300-1367203934_thumb.

I do not have these bumps on my face or legs. I do not use soap on my face or legs. It may sound crazy, but does anybody think that not using soap might help this?

Right now I'm using some 10% Benzyl Peroxide soap and am taking Doxycycline Hyclate 1000mg tablets. The medicine has seemed to stop the bump growth, but I now have scars and really dry skin.

What should I do?

post-207167-0-33952600-1367203932_thumb.

post-207167-0-35028600-1367203933_thumb.

post-207167-0-30568300-1367203934_thumb.

post-207167-0-88587700-1367203941_thumb.

MemberMember
(@skz)

Posted : 04/29/2013 7:56 pm

Say... come on guys what should I do? Would alpha hydroxide and benzy peroxide go well together?

MemberMember
(@wheatfree)

Posted : 04/29/2013 9:28 pm

Say... come on guys what should I do? Would alpha hydroxide and benzy peroxide go well together?

Many times using multiple products can be hard on your skin making it even more inflamed. You might consider cutting back on the active ingredients by going for a basic soap like cetaphil's bar soap. It doesn't have any plant extracts that some people find irritating to skin. You should moisturize to relieve the dryness, something very simple, few ingredients. Emu oil is a nice moisturizer if you have time to let it absorb. Are you exfoliating? Don't get too rough with your skin though, don't try to take off all the dry skin at once.

MemberMember
(@skz)

Posted : 04/29/2013 9:38 pm

Many times using multiple products can be hard on your skin making it even more inflamed. You might consider cutting back on the active ingredients by going for a basic soap like cetaphil's bar soap. It doesn't have any plant extracts that some people find irritating to skin. You should moisturize to relieve the dryness, something very simple, few ingredients. Emu oil is a nice moisturizer if you have time to let it absorb. Are you exfoliating? Don't get too rough with your skin though, don't try to take off all the dry skin at once.

I appreciate the response, and I have tried many basics soaps. Some of which include: goat soap, Dr. Bronner's magic liquid soap, cetaphil, and 100% olive oil soap. All of these irritate my skin. I don't know what the heck's wrong with me. The stuff I'm on now doesn't really irritate me, but it doesn't seem to do anything but dry my skin out.

Is there a direct correlation between not using soap and the clear face and legs I have vs. using soap on the messed up torso I have?

I'm tempted to just stop everything.... I mean, I've had this since November.

MemberMember
(@wheatfree)

Posted : 04/29/2013 10:17 pm

I appreciate the response, and I have tried many basics soaps. Some of which include: goat soap, Dr. Bronner's magic liquid soap, cetaphil, and 100% olive oil soap. All of these irritate my skin. I don't know what the heck's wrong with me. The stuff I'm on now doesn't really irritate me, but it doesn't seem to do anything but dry my skin out.

Is there a direct correlation between not using soap and the clear face and legs I have vs. using soap on the messed up torso I have?

Here's a picture of my face so you guys can see the difference.

(sorry about the swollen lip - i had busted it a week or two ago doing flips)

attachicon.gif2012-12-19_17-43-35_140.jpg

Folliculitis can make your skin more prone to irritation. That could be irritation from soaps. That could even be irritation from clothing. That could explain why it is mostly on your torso if you wear shorts and baggy/loose pants. Web MD says that you should use a clean washcloth/ towel each time to prevent spreading. They also say that warm compresses soaked in white vinegar can help mild cases (obviously you will smell like pickles). It can take a long time for the remnants of the folliculitis spots to go away (6 months even if you get hyperpigmentated scarring). If they don't look active any more, I wouldn't worry about it too much, just be gentle with your skin so it can heal. If it does look active and you are continuing to develop new affected areas, you made need to get a stronger antibiotic to fight it off. Good luck!

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 04/30/2013 12:23 am

looks like antibiotics effed you over as well.

MemberMember
(@skz)

Posted : 04/30/2013 8:44 pm

Here's a picture of my face so you guys can see the difference.

(sorry about the swollen lip - i had busted it a week or two ago doing flips)

attachicon.gif2012-12-19_17-43-35_140.jpg

MemberMember
(@skz)

Posted : 05/01/2013 8:02 pm

Bump...

Bumping's not against the rules is it?

I couldn't find the board guidelines on here. Sorry if it is.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 05/02/2013 5:17 pm

No it is not.

What is your diet like atm?

MemberMember
(@skz)

Posted : 05/02/2013 7:33 pm

No it is not.

What is your diet like atm?

My diet is really healthy compared to many.

Here are the guidelines that I strive to ( and mostly) follow.

Dietary Guidelines

• Dont cook vegetables. Eat the majority of your diet raw.
  • Eat in-season foods and maintain a wide variety of meals.
  • Try to purchase organic, fresh vegetables and fruit, preferably from a farmers market
  • Only purchase high quality meat and poultry from a farmers market.
  • Use high quality multivitamins.
  • Drink teas often.
  • Eat slowly.
  • Avoid sugar, white flour, processed oils, and dairy.
  • Choose whole grains like millet, oats, quinoa, spelt, barley, amaranth, teff, kamut, and brown rice; cook all of them like rice.
  • Aim to eat six times a day three snacks and three meals.
  • Minimize the amount of processed food bought and consumed.
  • Avoid processed foods.
  • Steam grains instead of boiling.
MemberMember
(@lolaholic)

Posted : 05/03/2013 10:14 pm

What type of soap are you using? if it's just normal soap, i would stop using it and replace it with an antibacterial soup. Folliculitis is an infection (correct me if i'm wrong) so Triclosan in soap can actually help. I have pretty bad acne that is a lot worse than yours, but i continued to use my antibacterial soap with benzoyl peroxide. The soap i use is called Dial Antibacterial Body Wash, and i recommend trying it out. Don't expect results immedietly, give it like 2 weeks at least. Also, stay away from scratching or washing it too hard to prevent irritation. Goodluck!

MemberMember
(@skz)

Posted : 05/11/2013 2:35 pm

Hi everyone sorry about the late response to everything - I haven't been able to get to the computer much.

I have to be honest with everyone that diet I posted I don't really follow. I try to follow it, but I don't follow it nearly as well as I hope to. I think that if I continue to try to improve my nutrition the crap all over my body will go away.

I'm going to try to upload some more pictures to show progress.

What type of soap are you using? if it's just normal soap, i would stop using it and replace it with an antibacterial soup. Folliculitis is an infection (correct me if i'm wrong) so Triclosan in soap can actually help. I have pretty bad acne that is a lot worse than yours, but i continued to use my antibacterial soap with benzoyl peroxide. The soap i use is called Dial Antibacterial Body Wash, and i recommend trying it out. Don't expect results immedietly, give it like 2 weeks at least. Also, stay away from scratching or washing it too hard to prevent irritation. Goodluck!

MemberMember
(@skz)

Posted : 05/18/2013 3:29 pm

Hey everyone I don't know why, but the pictures that I took on the 11th just reached my inbox today.

Anyways, here's an update.

These pictures are from May 11.

post-207167-0-24531500-1368908623_thumb.post-207167-0-90421700-1368908629_thumb.post-207167-0-02604000-1368908639_thumb.post-207167-0-10913500-1368908645_thumb.

I've been cutting down on the benzyl peroxide by switching from one day one to one day off, and I've tried to not pick at my skin (this really helps).

I will now be only using benzyl peroxide every two days, and on the others I'll use nothing.

Also, something that seems to help is the sun. Screw what everyone says about using all of these western crap products like sunscreen, JUST EAT A BALANCED DIET AND YOU WON'T NEED TO! I've been incorporating a lot of vegetables into my diet and I do not burn.

Now, I know some of you will be like what is this liberal hippy saying? But here's something that may be controversial that has really helped me: I've stopped using dairy products.

I highly recommend reading Never Be Sick Again by Raymond Francis.

And until next time!

Good luck my friends with your bacne or body acne or folliculitis problems. If you have any questions about what I'm doing feel free to post on here.

post-207167-0-24531500-1368908623_thumb.

post-207167-0-90421700-1368908629_thumb.

post-207167-0-02604000-1368908639_thumb.

post-207167-0-10913500-1368908645_thumb.

MemberMember
(@skz)

Posted : 05/19/2013 1:51 pm

Hey everyone I'm really excited because I'll be going to the beach next weekend to visit my new house (I'm moving by South Padre, TX). I heard that salt and sun are perfect for exfoliating, so I'll post a picture after I've done the two.

Also, to everyone that's taking all of the medicines your dermatologist suggested you take, stop. I really suggest that you get off of them. This will sound weird, but I've been reading a lot of books and it seems that western medicine causes more negatives than positives.

Welp, until next week. Cya!

MemberMember
(@helton)

Posted : 05/19/2013 7:08 pm

Maybe it's the water. Tap water isn't all that clean and treated with chlorine.

Try getting a shower filter, Sprite is a nice brand. smile.png

I actually knew a person with something like this, and he told me he only started getting them when he moved to USA. So the water definitely plays a role in these.

MemberMember
(@skz)

Posted : 05/19/2013 8:32 pm

Maybe it's the water. Tap water isn't all that clean and treated with chloride.

I actually knew a person with something like this, and he told me he only started getting them when he moved to USA. So the water definitely plays a role in these.

Funny you say this, because I actually bought a rainshow'r chlorine filter a month ago because I had simliar suspicions.

But whatever it is, it's going away. I've found out that not stressing over it has helped a lot.

MemberMember
(@madeleine24)

Posted : 05/19/2013 9:07 pm

I agree it could be the water too. But I also tried a body wash formulated for people with skin problems like Eczema.And the acne like bumps I had on my chest have cleared right up.

MemberMember
(@chocobot)

Posted : 05/19/2013 9:19 pm

Looks like an allergic reaction. Regardless it seems to be fading, good for you!

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 05/21/2013 6:58 pm

Funny you say this, because I actually bought a rainshow'r chlorine filter a month ago because I had simliar suspicions.

But whatever it is, it's going away. I've found out that not stressing over it has helped a lot.

hey skz, are you still using the filter?

MemberMember
(@skz)

Posted : 05/22/2013 8:57 pm

On 5/22/2013 at 5:58 AM, whoartthou1 said:
On 5/20/2013 at 7:32 AM, skz said:
On 5/20/2013 at 6:08 AM, Helton said:

hey skz, are you still using the filter?

Ya man. this exact one https://www.amazon.com/Rainshowr-CQ-1000-NH-Dechlorinating-Shower-Filter/dp/B000N4P7G0/

Thanks for all the support guys. I leave for the beach on Friday, and I'm hoping that the sun and saltwater will finish this off.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 05/22/2013 9:33 pm

How long you gonna be at the beach for? Do you go there often?

MemberMember
(@skz)

Posted : 05/27/2013 9:44 pm

How long you gonna be at the beach for? Do you go there often?

Probably once every two years or so, but I'm hoping to go more often since I'm moving there soon.

I just got back today, so I'll take some pictures tomorrow. It's pretty much gone now, I just have dark spots where it all was which kinda sucks.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 05/29/2013 4:14 pm

damn bro, congrats. So being stress-free pretty much cleared you?