Notifications
Clear all

Vitamin B5 Conundrum (Please Help)

MemberMember
(@xdxdaustin)

Posted : 04/27/2013 12:54 am

Please help me for I am at my wits end here

I started the b5 regimen during January. Over the corse of a few months (two) I ramped my way up to taking 5g a day of vitamin B5. Last week I began to notice an increased amount of hair falling out during the shower; minimal and nothing an onlooker would deem unhealthy, but my body doesn't usually shed hair so I was worried and began cutting my dosage on B5 I cut my dosage to 2g a day and now I've got a cyst coming up on my cleared face and I don't know what to do. I started taking my 5g again but I am really at a total loss. Somebody please help me

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 04/27/2013 1:30 am

Here's a whole thread dedicated to this:

MemberMember
(@oilydave94)

Posted : 04/27/2013 4:51 am

Hair loss is common with B5 because megdosing on B5 can cause a deficiency in other B vitamins that are essential for healthy hair. I would invest in a B complex vitamin and Biotin (very important vitamin for healthy hair). OP in the link above said l-cysteine stopped hair loss for him.

MemberMember
(@xdxdaustin)

Posted : 04/27/2013 8:48 am

Thank you guys SO much. I am so greatful

MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 04/27/2013 9:19 am

Take 1 g B5 and 500mg l-cysteine 3 x a day. Thats what I do. l-cysteine helps the body absorb the B5 better so you can take less and have the same effect plus l-cysteine is great for hair.

MemberMember
(@xdxdaustin)

Posted : 04/27/2013 9:43 am

Take 1 g B5 and 500mg l-cysteine 3 x a day. Thats what I do. l-cysteine helps the body absorb the B5 better so you can take less and have the same effect plus l-cysteine is great for hair.

Did you use the crude oil on your hair when taking the l-cystine? Also, did you start the l-cystine after the shedding, or before? My hair loss at this point is pretty low; id say like 12 hairs come out in the shower and maybe another 5 throughout the rest of the day but I am hell bent on making it stop before it gets out of hand.

MemberMember
(@cervantes86)

Posted : 04/27/2013 10:36 am

like the users above said, l cysteine seemed to stop the hair loss and it also lowers the amount of B5 to take. honestly, as a guy, i would trade hairloss for acne, but the b5 would have to keep me at least 95% clear, and work forever to sacrifice my hair. iam more scared if there are other more serious side effects though.

MemberMember
(@nakedsmurf)

Posted : 04/27/2013 2:08 pm

Did you use the crude oil on your hair when taking the l-cystine? Also, did you start the l-cystine after the shedding, or before? My hair loss at this point is pretty low; id say like 12 hairs come out in the shower and maybe another 5 throughout the rest of the day but I am hell bent on making it stop before it gets out of hand.

Are you losing hair from crown or front.

MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 04/27/2013 8:09 pm

Ive been using B5 since Jan this year. It doesn't really help my acne but it help[s my oily skin. I started using l-cysteine about a month ago. I dont think I was ever experiencing hair loss but wasn't really paying attention. I have realized a difference in my hair since taking it though. It feels fuller and stronger.

MemberMember
(@xdxdaustin)

Posted : 04/28/2013 12:00 am

>

Because I'm not losing much yet, it's hard to tell but I presume the crown from what I can tell.

MemberMember
(@xdxdaustin)

Posted : 04/29/2013 6:00 pm

(bump) can someone please help me?

MemberMember
(@travelleruk)

Posted : 04/30/2013 8:46 am

5g a day is a very large dose and is about the same as what I took for over a year noticed I was losing my hair in the shower. I then went a year taking just 500mg a day and the hair loss continued. I now don't take any B5 and it still continues...

I had my blood tested the other day and am awaiting results to see if I am deficient in anything. I have also tried the NAC / L-Cystiene approach for a month and I can't say it did anything for me but one month is probably not a fair test.

Hopefully I will go on another course of roaccutane soon for my skin...I seriously recommend it over B5. It obviously it can have some pretty nasty side effects but they are rare, megadosing with B5 seems to pretty much guarantee some hair loss eventually. Just because it is a vitamin that can be purchased over the counter does not make it any safer.

MemberMember
(@magic)

Posted : 05/13/2013 9:50 pm

I started b5 at between 6-9 grams since January.

At the beginning oil decreased and skin seemed to clear, then skin got worse, and worse, and worse, and worse, I stopped b5 2 weeks ago and my skin had rapidly improved. I replaced the vitamins and old cleansing routine with the oil cleansing method and wow, what a difference, we all react differently but I think I've found the treatment that works for me. The oil cleansing method has been an absolute miracle for me, just wish I hadn't waited 16 damn years to try it.

I'll also add, I experienced no hair falling out symptoms the 4 months I took b5, although my hair did seem a lot dryer so maybe had I continued it would have started.

MemberMember
(@oilydave94)

Posted : 05/14/2013 2:36 am

travelleruk

Just a heads up, hair loss is also a possible side effect from accutane.