Notifications
Clear all

Back And Shoulder Acne...whyyy

MemberMember
(@lolaholic)

Posted : 04/25/2013 10:14 pm

Woo first post on this site. 6 months ago, my back was clear: no acne, no blemishes, nothing. However after my soccer season ended, i got a tiny bit of acne on my back. I was like "oh well, no big deal", but it has transformed into some pretty nasty stuff. It's mostly concentrated on my shoulder blades now and is a problem when I carry a backpack or lift weights. I tried head and shoulders, but it only worked for 3 weeks, then stopped. I've been using benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, and dial antibacterial wash. Doesn't really seem to work. It's still a bunch of inflamed pimple things on my shoulder blades -_- however, it does seem that friction causes these, but it's impossible to stop carrying backpacks (unless you say i ditch school, then i'm in!).

This has taken a pretty huge toll on my self-esteem, and i'm open for any suggestions, tips, or even people that can relate. The only good thing about this is that I don't feel disgusted with people with acne anymore. Rather, I look at them and feel sorry. Any suggestions? Should I just try accutane? Thanks!

MemberMember
(@nuby3)

Posted : 04/25/2013 10:57 pm

have you changed laundry detergents or anything? or fabric softeners? sometimes those can cause acne that is confined to areas covered by the shirt, and contact plays a role. fabric softener sheets leave a wax residue on clothes that can clog pores and irritate skin. just a thought. only thing I could think of. I had that problem before. I switched to the fragrance free plant based detergents and liquid softeners and it helped clear me up.

MemberMember
(@lolaholic)

Posted : 04/25/2013 11:26 pm

Thanks for the response. And no, I have not changed detergents or use fabric softeners. I'm also 17 and a guy, so I guess this could be caused by hormones. Almost everytime I get hit somewhere, a pimple will immedietly form..why's that? doesn't seem like normal acne...

MemberMember
(@auguriesofinnocence)

Posted : 04/26/2013 6:02 am

hi, its common to get acne at your age and especially when playing sports.

Make sure you only wear cotton shirts if you can help it. Id try an antibacterial soap like cetaphil and they have sprays and topicals...Id try a body spray/lotion with salicylic acid for your back. Also it sounds obvious but shower as soon as youre done playing, leaving sweat on the skin allows more bacteria. And drink a lot of water and dont overdo the sugary stuff like soda.

Id advise NOT taking accutane, I took it for one month and it made me suicidal. Plus, it can give you all sorts of bad side effects and the acne almost always returns anyway. I found a better way to clear my acne, unfortunately youre a guy so you cant take birth control whistling.gif|. Good luck!

MemberMember
(@manticore)

Posted : 04/29/2013 6:41 am

...I've been using benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, and dial antibacterial wash. Doesn't really seem to work...

How long did you try those products for?

My problem years ago was that I wanted instant results from everything I tried. If they didn't show results in a couple of weeks, I would go onto something else.

I now know that you need at least 3 months before deciding if something is going to work for you or not.

MemberMember
(@lolaholic)

Posted : 05/03/2013 10:16 pm

Thanks for the reply guys! This forum is so helpful! I will definitely maintain my regime right now, as the shoulder acne i have is getting better. however, it seems to be transferring to the middle of my back now. Nonetheless, thank you guys!