Notifications
Clear all

Evil Closed Comedones

MemberMember
(@sendmeangels)

Posted : 04/25/2013 8:45 pm

I am currently on Spironolactone, Retin A Micro, and Vanoxide HC. I alternate the Vanoxide and Retin A every other night. I get maybe one inflamed pimple a month, the rest are closed comedones. Also known as clogged pores. The little suckers are tiny, and I have about 6 of them right now. And when they come, they never seem to leave. I changed to a non-flouride, non- SLS toothpaste, thinking that the toothpaste may be causing the bumps on my chin. They are primarily on my chin, but I do have a few on my cheeks. But that hasn't worked. Nothing has, and I've had this problem for years. Does anyone have any suggestions at all? Should I look into Accutane? Using Retin A every night and the Vanoxide in the morning? Peels? Saylic Acid pads (I know I spelled that wrong). Any help would be appreciated.

MemberMember
(@quetzlcoatl)

Posted : 04/25/2013 8:51 pm

6 comedones isn't worth accutane. I have 250-500, and I haven't even considered accutane.

RetinA might work but it'll take time. 2-3 months, often, to see results. I haven't stumbled across anything to get rid of comedones yet.

MemberMember
(@sendmeangels)

Posted : 04/25/2013 9:02 pm

I know my problem is asinine in comparison to what others (and I have formerly) suffered from. I'd just love to get rid of them because they continue to come, and they don't seem to leave. I've been on the Retin A Micro since last July. I'm not sure if it's not getting rid of them because It just doesn't work, or if it's because I don't use it every night. You haven't figured out to get if yours either? I'm sorry you have these damn things too.

MemberMember
(@kelseylee)

Posted : 04/25/2013 10:18 pm

it's definitely not your toothpaste that's the issue. the only thing thats ever unclogged my pores before w/o manually extracting them myself is african black soap. it draws clogged pores and blackheads out and then it forms a small scab or the actual piece of clogged pore pushes out of the pore w/no scab. it is intense but effective. Good luck!! 2nd the no accutane thing.

Wowzers69 liked
MemberMember
(@quetzlcoatl)

Posted : 04/26/2013 10:17 pm

Sooooo

I kind of lost my patience the other day (not on these boards, lol, with my comedones) and basically ripped my face off with hot water and a washcloth. In retrospect, not the best idea, because now I have many scabs and pustules, which I did not have before.

Anyways, in an effort to heal my skin, I applied CeraVe moisturizing cream (in excess) and zinc cream over that to my whole face. It's only been...1.5 days, but my comedones seems to be gone? Not all of them, mind you, but the smallest ones, the most important ones. Once my skin heals, I'll be able to tell better; but until then, the CeraVe/zinc combo might be something worth looking into

MemberMember
(@kelseylee)

Posted : 04/27/2013 7:23 pm

I lost my patience on these boards w/ppl who are so intensely against medical intervention. It's almost like religious, and yet they continue to struggle over and over with problems. I went thru this for a little while too; being obsessed with curing everything "naturally" and refusing to accept help from ANYONE. needless to say I got no where and only sadder/more anxious/worse acne. accepting help doesn't make you weak, it makes you stronger. it allows you to have the strength and take the steps to heal. anyway, i guess i was surprised at the internet's ability to make me feel frustrated and emotional. It's just hard to hear from ppl that what i'm doing is wrong and drastic despite how much it has helped me heal (and i'm talking about birth control...), whereas I think it is drastic to live everyday in pain, denial and depression when there are steps you can take to help yourself. they don't have to do what I do, but don't judge me for taking steps to help myself. okay end rant.

MemberMember
(@sendmeangels)

Posted : 06/30/2013 8:55 pm

How should I go about getting rid of these if the Retin a Micro isn't working? Should I get a peel? I take zinc, it does nothing. Anyone?

MemberMember
(@cmarie)

Posted : 08/07/2014 4:35 pm

Hi did u ever get rid of them? And how please let me know!!!

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 08/08/2014 2:13 pm

Atralin (topical tretinoin) reduced my comedones, but it also infamed my skin.

I read a study stating that manual extraction (by a dermatilogist, or trained medical professional in dermatology) produces rather good results over time. I cant remember which journal I saw it in, but if its only 6 comodones, it might be a viable option.