Male, 29, Any Help ...

Notifications
Clear all

Male, 29, Any Help Here Appreicated

MemberMember
(@top_man_eldo)

Posted : 04/24/2013 10:23 pm

Hi All,

This really is for the men, but any help/advice is appreciated as always...

Basically, cutting a long story short, when I was 15/16 I developed terrible acne which left me with awful scarring, mainly to the cheeks. After working my way through the antibiotics I eventually ended up on Roaccutane for four months at the age of 16 and it cleared my skin completely, I had no more oily skin issues, no spots, the scars faded and I was more than pleased with the result.

In 2009, 9 years later, I noticed my skin was becoming more and more oily and I developed relatively bad acne along my jawline, so back on the Roaccutane this time for ten months. I'm pretty sure I hold the record for this, as I have never heard anyone of being on a ten month course of Roaccutane. Eventually the acne did clear but the redness in my skin was unbelievable, it highlighted every pore around my nose and cheeks and even on my forehead, it looks even to this day as if my pores are scarred "wide open", mainly on my cheeks.

Anyway I've been off the Roaccutane since the beginning of 2011 and about a month after finishing the treatment, sure enough my skin flooded with oil, but no acne. My skin is awfully oily and to be honest I've just about had enough of it, it makes me feel uncomfortable for a bloke of 29 years to have teenagers skin.

Even more frustrating is that nobody knows why my skin is so oily. I have my own regimen which involves oil free face wash and moisturiser twice a day, but this is just not helping. I'd like to ask the guys on here if it is normal to be able to run your finger down the side of your nose and see the slick of oil that's built up on your finger, about 2 hours after you have washed your face and moisturised etc? Is this normal for a 29 year old male? (I know you shouldn't do this by the way!)

So what have I done so far with this issue? Well I as I said I use oil free washes and moisturisers twice a day, I eat very healthily so I'm 99.99% positive that my oily skin is not diet related. I drink about 3 litres of water and spearmint tea a day, I no longer drink tea/coffee/caffeine/carbonated drinks etc. I have been taking 100mg Vitamin B Complex for around 6 weeks, 1000mg Vitamin C for 6 weeks, 60mg Zinc and 2mg Copper for around 3 weeks and I have just started taking 320mg Saw Palmetto (standardized) daily as I have read good reports on this.

My question to the guys though, is 320mg of SP a day enough? How long should it take to notice a reduction in oily skin and did it work for you? I know this sounds daft coming from a 29 year old man, but I'm convinced this oily skin issue I have is hormonal!

Any help and advice appreciated!

Many Thanks,

Anthony,

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 04/24/2013 10:36 pm

try drinking home made dairy kefir or increase ur calcium intake in any other way. Might help to get dry skin. Also go to a endocrinologist to get some tests done to see if you have thyroid issues.

MemberMember
(@xc60)

Posted : 04/25/2013 3:52 am

I did a month long trial of SP, and went through a bottle in a month, with little or no results. I would say drop the SP, and get a bottle of MSM, and start taking 2 X 1,000 mg a day - one in the morning, one in the evening. Also drop any crap soaps or shampoos you may be using! I clean my body AND hair with Kiss My Face Olive Oil Soap, you can get an 8 oz. bar for dirt cheap in the store. Shaving problems, too? - no problem, use Aveeno Shave Gel, a Bump Fighter Razor, and shave with cold water (yes, COLD water!) with the grain. That's my 2 cents.

MemberMember
(@top_man_eldo)

Posted : 04/25/2013 12:49 pm

OK cheers for the info guys, what is MSM? Magnesium?

MemberMember
(@xc60)

Posted : 04/25/2013 2:43 pm

OK cheers for the info guys, what is MSM? Magnesium?

No, it's actually methylsulfonylmethane - AKA sulphur. This is a micronutrient that has a multitude of benefits for the body. Look it up! If you want to give SP a shot, I say go for it! I would definitely try out MSM, you can get a bottle @ Wally World for just under $9 for 90 capsules. Maybe do a month trial taking 2 capsules a day.

MemberMember
(@tiredofacne32)

Posted : 04/25/2013 8:59 pm

Hi All,

Basically, cutting a long story short, when I was 15/16 I developed terrible acne which left me with awful scarring, mainly to the cheeks. After working my way through the antibiotics I eventually ended up on Roaccutane for four months at the age of 16 and it cleared my skin completely, I had no more oily skin issues, no spots, the scars faded and I was more than pleased with the result.

In 2009, 9 years later, I noticed my skin was becoming more and more oily and I developed relatively bad acne along my jawline, so back on the Roaccutane this time for ten months. I'm pretty sure I hold the record for this, as I have never heard anyone of being on a ten month course of Roaccutane. Eventually the acne did clear but the redness in my skin was unbelievable, it highlighted every pore around my nose and cheeks and even on my forehead, it looks even to this day as if my pores are scarred "wide open", mainly on my cheeks.

Anyway I've been off the Roaccutane since the beginning of 2011 and about a month after finishing the treatment, sure enough my skin flooded with oil, but no acne. My skin is awfully oily and to be honest I've just about had enough of it, it makes me feel uncomfortable for a bloke of 29 years to have teenagers skin.

Even more frustrating is that nobody knows why my skin is so oily. I have my own regimen which involves oil free face wash and moisturiser twice a day, but this is just not helping. I'd like to ask the guys on here if it is normal to be able to run your finger down the side of your nose and see the slick of oil that's built up on your finger, about 2 hours after you have washed your face and moisturised etc? Is this normal for a 29 year old male? (I know you shouldn't do this by the way!)

So what have I done so far with this issue? Well I as I said I use oil free washes and moisturisers twice a day, I eat very healthily so I'm 99.99% positive that my oily skin is not diet related. I drink about 3 litres of water and spearmint tea a day, I no longer drink tea/coffee/caffeine/carbonated drinks etc. I have been taking 100mg Vitamin B Complex for around 6 weeks, 1000mg Vitamin C for 6 weeks, 60mg Zinc and 2mg Copper for around 3 weeks and I have just started taking 320mg Saw Palmetto (standardized) daily as I have read good reports on this.

My question to the guys though, is 320mg of SP a day enough? How long should it take to notice a reduction in oily skin and did it work for you? I know this sounds daft coming from a 29 year old man, but I'm convinced this oily skin issue I have is hormonal!

Many Thanks,

Anthony,

32 yr old male here...I have the EXACT same symptoms. My acne is worse than in my teens. I never use to have oily skin...now it drips forehead and nose.

I am currently trying a mega dose of B5, 10 grams a day. It doesn't seem to be helping so far. Next stop may be Accutane. It's getting pretty embarrassing to go work or just out in general...

MemberMember
(@tiredofacne32)

Posted : 06/04/2013 9:40 pm

Hi All,

Many Thanks,

Anthony,

32 yr old male here...I have the EXACT same symptoms. My acne is worse than in my teens. I never use to have oily skin...now it drips forehead and nose.

I am currently trying a mega dose of B5, 10 grams a day. It doesn't seem to be helping so far. Next stop may be Accutane. It's getting pretty embarrassing to go work or just out in general...

I started doing the oil cleaning method. google it. Caster oil + extra virgin olive oil. Every other night, sometimes back to back nights. I also started to supplement on Sereniten Plus - 1 pill a day. Twice a day I also use 99% Aloe Vera gel, almost white in color, from Lily of the Desert. OCM plus the aloe vera seems to be controlling my forehead acne breakouts and making my skin smooth.

so far so good.