Notifications
Clear all

My Attempt At Being A Role Model To You Guys

MemberMember
(@dennisdo)

Posted : 04/20/2013 12:32 pm

Hey guys! I've decided to chime in for the newer peeps visiting this section today.

Some of you may be thinking, "Who the heck is this Asian kid, and why should he be some kind of role model for me??"

sad.png

Well I'd like to first say that I used to visit this section frequently when I really had nothing else going for me, sad to say the least.

I was riddled with extreme acne and now left with acne scars. I was just extremely depressed like everyone else on here and I became a HUGE social idiot for isolating myself way too long because of acne.

I'd say it was perfectly normal to come here and relate to the people in this section, right?

Anyways, I'd suspect that nearly 99% of you will not be here again within the next year because I don't see members from the old days. That's great! (Btw, the 1% is me wink.png)

It means that they™ve moved on (hopefully for the better smile.png)

So why am I back here? Is it because I got back in my depressed state?

No.

It™s because I want to let the newer members (e.g. You!) know that everything is going to be OK.

I don't care how tough of a situation you™re facing. You're going through hell, and you need to keep moving forward. Yes, it's okay to feel down about your skin. I know how tough it is to deal with it, trust me. But you can™t feel down about it forever.

I know that it's understandable to wonder why everyone else has perfect skin, or why someone doesn™t have to 'suffer' like you do. But trust me, when you get out of this, YOU WILL APPRECIATE LIFE MORE!

Heck, since you've read this far down, why not watch this quick video that I've made for you guys smile.png (Unedited, with my still going acne)

Anyways guys, everything will be okay in the end, because if it's not okay now, then it's not the end.

Also, don't be afraid to ask me anything. I will answer truthfully. :]

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 04/20/2013 1:20 pm

I love this video. You give amazing advice. For many of us, we may very will have to live with acne for a long long time and we can either let it control us or live our lives. its definitely easier said than done but its possible.

Thanks for the uplifting pick me up - i definitely needed this today

MemberMember
(@nakedsmurf)

Posted : 04/20/2013 3:53 pm

True just keep leaving life

MemberMember
(@pianina)

Posted : 04/20/2013 4:00 pm

Unfortunately depression is much more than an emotional state. It's a mental illness in a way, it grows deep into you and doesn't let you go forward. You can't just shake it off by thinking "Well, nothing I can do about my acne, so I'll just put a smile on my face and live happily". And I'm pretty sure many of us are dealing with a lot more than just anxiety about our skins. Some of us had to literally say no to their dreams (including me) and not because the lack of self-confidence but because of the physicall impossibility. Alright, time to move on you'd say. But everyone has their our pace and understanding when they're done grieving and can deal with life again. I was pretending to myself, that I'm one of the strong ones but it fell flat.

The truth is that you won't be OK if you haven't glued all the pieces of yourself together. The spectacle will be over and the consequences - devastating.

People need to be true to themselves.

MemberMember
(@frankl)

Posted : 04/20/2013 5:54 pm

I really really appreciate the video. I'll probably watch it a few more times because I can tell your sincere. Means a lot to me. Everything you said in the video I tell myself everyday. Everyday I tell myself today is the day shit changes but I revert back into depression. Its tough man. I'll let it go one day.

Its hard tho

MemberMember
(@dennisdo)

Posted : 04/20/2013 7:33 pm

Unfortunately depression is much more than an emotional state. It's a mental illness in a way, it grows deep into you and doesn't let you go forward. You can't just shake it off by thinking "Well, nothing I can do about my acne, so I'll just put a smile on my face and live happily". And I'm pretty sure many of us are dealing with a lot more than just anxiety about our skins. Some of us had to literally say no to their dreams (including me) and not because the lack of self-confidence but because of the physicall impossibility. Alright, time to move on you'd say. But everyone has their our pace and understanding when they're done grieving and can deal with life again. I was pretending to myself, that I'm one of the strong ones but it fell flat.

The truth is that you won't be OK if you haven't glued all the pieces of yourself together. The spectacle will be over and the consequences - devastating.

You're right. You can't just put a 'smile' on your face and say you're happy.

Hell, I still have images of my face DEFORMED when I had seborrheic dermatitis that affected my hair, face, and body. It was absolutely the worst thing ever and it was pretty recently, (7 months ago, give or take) so I'll draw my memories on that since I still remember what it's like.

Now, no where am I saying that you should put on a smile and be happy. (Although you should try)

When I had seborrheic dermatitis, I was in the classroom, and it was the most embarrassment moment that I have experienced in years.

I had flies circulating around my face because it stunk so bad (from the constant liquid discharge) and I couldn't even open my eyes. (I'm Chinese enough, I can barely open my eyes as it is)

No grin big enough was going to make me happy internally. You're right.

HOWEVER, lots of people like to see things worse than it is. And you know what? Yeah, the moment may be terrible, I won't lie, but it doesn't help to emphasis the situation. Please understand this. It doesn't help to see things worse than it is.

I think that after going through something as bad as seborrheic dermatitis, I just don't give a crap about acne on my face anymore. Once you experience something as bad as seborrheic dermatitis, you really become a stronger character in the end. That's what I'm trying to say.

I definitely agree with that last sentence though, being true to yourself is the most important thingaccepting yourself the way you are is one of the most difficult thing.

Also, I can relate on missed opportunities too.

(I'm glad that the video is helping some of you guys)

MemberMember
(@elvin83)

Posted : 04/21/2013 12:23 am

Hell, I still have images of my face DEFORMED when I had seborrheic dermatitis that affected my hair, face, and body. It was absolutely the worst thing ever and it was pretty recently, (7 months ago, give or take) so I'll draw my memories on that since I still remember what it's like.

Nice video man.

I was just wondering. How did you get over your seborrheic dermatitis?

MemberMember
(@dennisdo)

Posted : 04/21/2013 12:30 am

Nice video man.

I was just wondering. How did you get over your seborrheic dermatitis?

I went to the ER at one point because the liquid and condition was unbearable. couldn't sleep for 2 nights in a row. Had to take medicine and a steroid shot on the head. It probably lasted for 3 weeks.

MemberMember
(@darkheart)

Posted : 04/21/2013 1:45 am

Yes, I agree. It's easy for a person with stable/normal mental health to say "just put a smile on your face and forget about your depression" but to a person with a genuine mental health disorder that's absolutely impossible. Depression is not an attitude choice - there's a difference in feeling bummed out and being clinically depressed. Two completely different things.

I don't think people understand that how you cope with things in your life is directly related to your mental health which is very complex.