Notifications
Clear all

Coconut Oil And Benzoyl Peroxide?

MemberMember
(@skintuition)

Posted : 04/19/2013 5:50 pm

So I've been using Dan's BP for a little over a year now. It's been the best thing for my acne that I've ever tried - but recently, after a year of clear skin, I've been experiencing minor spots and other types of minor acne.

It's not that noticeable and for the most part my skin is clear, but what's disturbing is that they keep coming back. Here's the type of acne that I'm getting right now (it's different from when I first started the regimen)

SPOTS: Reddish pink spots that are typically under the skin and not filled with anything, I've never attempted to pop one because, well, you can't. I'm calling them mini blemishes for now. They go away after 2-3 days, but then a new one will appear.

CLOGGED PORES: I think one of my products might be causing irritation to my skin or it's clogging my pores - possibly both. I'll get these miniature little bumps that aren't inflamed and you can't really see them, but I can feel them.

NON-INFLAMED BUMPS: I'll also get these sort of non-puss filled, mininal bumps that are just like the blemishes only not red or pink. I would like to think they're whiteheads but they aren't because they aren't filled with anything.

HERE IS MY SKINCARE ROUTINE ATM:

AM: Cleanse face for 20 seconds with 2 pumps of Cerave Hydrating Cleanser (use hands), then pat dry with clean towel. Then use 2 pumps of Cerave Moisturizing Lotion, and gently massage over face until absorbed. Directly after that, apply 7 drops of Acne.org Jojoba oil. *Occasionally, maybe 2-3 days I will use St. Ives Apricot Scrub, but I've been told that's irritating so I cut it out of my routine*.

PM: Cleanse face for 20 seconds with 2 pumps of Cerave Hydrating Cleanser, then pat dry with clean towel. Then apply 2 1/2 pumps of Acne.org Benzoyl Peroxide. Massage into skin until there are no globs and everything looks even. Wait 30 minutes - 2 hours, then apply a small scoop of Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream. Rub into skin until there are no globs, then apply 7 drops of Acne.org Jojoba oil.

WHAT THE HELL DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH COCONUT OIL? you may ask.

In a desperate search for a solution, I was browsing the forums and read something about Organic "EXPELLER-PRESSED VIRGIN COCONUT OIL." I did more research and heard that this stuff was wonderful for your skin. My question is, can I use this while using Benzoyl Peroxide? I would obviously apply it in the morning when I wouldn't use BP, but I'm extremely curious and tempted to try it. It has so many uses and I've heard it's really cheap.

HAS ANYONE ELSE USED COCONUT OIL? IF SO PLEASE SHARE YOUR EXPERIENCES IN THE COMMENTS. thank you for your time

MemberMember
(@skintuition)

Posted : 04/19/2013 6:26 pm

Oh, one last thing. I've also heard something that says coconut oil is highly comodogenic - but what I want to know is, does that go for extra virgin non-refined organic coconut oil?

MemberMember
(@quetzlcoatl)

Posted : 04/19/2013 10:33 pm

I wouldn't put it on your skin. It's mostly saturated fats, which is why it's highly comedogenic. Extra virgin non-refined organic coconut oil is basically the same in this regard, and will also be highly comedogenic.

Coconut oil pulling, however, is great for your skin.

MemberMember
(@sroberts89436)

Posted : 05/24/2013 10:47 am

Yes the virgin coconut oil or any organic coconut oil is highly comedogenic. I used it for months thinking it wasn't causing my acne, but when I finally realized it was I had huge cysts on my neck and it took a year to clear them up. Also using the coconut oil on the skin every day will make it more dry and that happend to me to. Jojoba oil is the only one that works for dryness without clogging pores for me. I have tried argan oil,grapeseed oil,olive oil,coconut oil,sesame oil,sun flower seed oil,passion fruit oil, and a few others. Sometimes good old vaseline works for extreme dryness without clogging pores.

MemberMember
(@sirch24)

Posted : 06/24/2013 1:50 am

Where do you buy the products

MemberMember
(@skintuition)

Posted : 06/24/2013 10:38 am

Yes the virgin coconut oil or any organic coconut oil is highly comedogenic. I used it for months thinking it wasn't causing my acne, but when I finally realized it was I had huge cysts on my neck and it took a year to clear them up. Also using the coconut oil on the skin every day will make it more dry and that happend to me to. Jojoba oil is the only one that works for dryness without clogging pores for me. I have tried argan oil,grapeseed oil,olive oil,coconut oil,sesame oil,sun flower seed oil,passion fruit oil, and a few others. Sometimes good old vaseline works for extreme dryness without clogging pores.

I'm sorry it didn't work out for you. I have been using Coconut Oil for around a month now and I actually really like it - I think it has made a difference in minimizing my breakouts. Everyone is different, I suppose.