Notifications
Clear all

Perfect Regimen, Horrible Acne

MemberMember
(@healthylifepoorface)

Posted : 04/18/2013 9:11 am

I have been suffering with acne ever since I started puberty. My daily routine went as follows until the age of 16:

Diet: Gluten, salt, sugar, milk, whey, other acne prone sufferers' worst nightmares.

Sleep: Midnight to 7 am, sometimes staying up later (Under 8 hours of sleep every night)

Exercise: Some sport conditioning every other season, not very active.

Face care: Very hot showers with me letting the water hit my face throughout most of the shower, exfoliating with a scrub 3 times a week, never moisturizing, face was extremely dry at first then oily which influenced whiteheads like you couldn't believe. I changed my pillowcases once every other month. I touched my face pretty often because I was insecure about my acne and was so impatient I just had to check if a pimple was still there by touching it.

After many countless days of research I saw how unhealthy my routine was and I changed my ways to Proactiv, while not letting the water in the shower touch my face, and eating slightly healthier by eating less which cleared my acne and I was the happiest person alive until I couldn't afford it anymore. I thought since I didn't have have acne and had a decent routine I wouldn't be prone anymore.

Anyway, my new routine goes as follows and my acne is still pretty bad, it's nowhere near as bad as it used to be but that's not surprising as I'm 18 now and my routine is near perfect:

Diet: Eating breakfast as soon as I wake up, a few servings of raw vegetables and fruits, 2 peanutbutter sandwiches with whole grain bread, 2 cups of cranberry juice, 2 cups of green tea, at least 8 cups of water, not eating right before bed, chewing up food until it becomes a paste so my body has no problem digesting it.

Sleep: 10:30 pm to 7 am

Exercise: 5-6 days a week at the gym in the morning from 730 doing cardio and muscular endurance exercises (sweating a lot)

Face care: Mild hot showers with no water hitting my face, exfoliating once a week because my face seems dry from the passed winter, cleansing every morning after the gym and at night, and moisturizing after every cleanse and exfoliation. I change my pillowcase every other day and I sleep on my back but I move in my sleep. I NEVER touch my face unless it's for cleansing/ exfoliating/ moisturizing. I also don't let anything else touch it, not even a phone because I put the speaker up to my ear and hold the phone outward.

What am I doing wrong?

MemberMember
(@exister)

Posted : 04/18/2013 9:39 am

Sounds like you're doing everything right. Only things I would try are:

-Not thinking and worrying about it as much

-Not cleansing or moisturizing

-Giving up peanut butter

MemberMember
(@healthylifepoorface)

Posted : 04/18/2013 9:53 am

How would not cleansing or moisturizing help?

MemberMember
(@justin-osburn)

Posted : 04/18/2013 9:59 am

Try applying BP, I used proactive and it has been 2.5 and after lunch, ur skin gets used to it so basically have to use it ur whole life, cause nothing else will work

MemberMember
(@healthylifepoorface)

Posted : 04/18/2013 10:02 am

I thought the same thing until I tried using BP again and it's only effective on my T-zone when my face is oily. Otherwise, it does absolutely nothing, and I try to stay away from it so my face doesn't become addicted.

MemberMember
(@exister)

Posted : 04/18/2013 10:19 am

Your body is natural, chemicals are not. It works for me and millions of others.

MemberMember
(@healthylifepoorface)

Posted : 04/18/2013 10:50 am

Your body is natural, chemicals are not. It works for me and millions of others.

Yet millions of people cleanse and moisturize to combat acne effectively. I see your reasoning, but it's just something I'm going to have to try and hope benefits my skin.

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 04/18/2013 11:28 am

stop exfoliating and hot showers. Get on the regimen if derm is not an option. Also start doing yoga.

MemberMember
(@user174136)

Posted : 04/18/2013 12:10 pm

I'd recommend New Dawn soap and jojoba oil as a moisturizer. Less harsh on your face, still does the job. Also try bumping up your BP level. 5% works for me.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 04/20/2013 5:43 am

why is shower directly on face bad?

no peanut butter.

add lemon water and cinnamon.they help.

a lil' for active..may be dance or do yoga if u can.or freehand exerxises help as well.

supplements?any?

MemberMember
(@13yearsofacne)

Posted : 04/20/2013 6:47 am

H20 is a natural chemical last time I checked.

MemberMember
(@exister)

Posted : 04/20/2013 11:19 am

H20 is a natural chemical last time I checked.

Sorry, "synthetic chemicals". You knew what I meant.

(@LewisS)

Posted : 04/21/2013 4:02 am

Hmm. If you're exfoliating with a scrub, stop. Use a chemical exfoliant such as AHA (Glycolic Acid) or BHA (Salicylic Acid). Start washing your face with cold-warm water, not the slightest bit hot. Cold water is anti-inflammatory and keeps the pores closed throughout the day.

Finally, relax. Stress is a contributing factor to many peoples acne. Don't restrict yourself too much, it's not worth it and probably won't be all that beneficial.

I hope you finally work out what's causing your acne. It's a shame that your determination and efforts are going to waste.