Notifications
Clear all

The Z I I T Method

Member Admin
(@dan)

Posted : 04/16/2013 12:46 pm

Ever start to get a zit right before a big event and wondered what is everything you could possibly do to prevent it?

Check out The ZIIT Method (Zinc + Ibuprofen + Ice + Treat) for everything you can do to stop it in its tracks.

I want to know how this method works for you guys, so once you've tried it please vote in the poll and let me know how it worked for you.

MemberMember
(@wynne)

Posted : 04/16/2013 2:49 pm

And here's the original idea:

Member Admin
(@dan)

Posted : 04/16/2013 3:17 pm

Hey Wynne. Cool. I hadn't seen that post from you before. Great minds think alike, or at least somewhat alike in this case. Your post and the ZIIT method are actually quite different. A few questions for you:

1. From everywhere I researched, icing is recommended only once per hour. Where did you read the 1 minute on, 5 minutes off thing?

2. Aspirin is also an anti-inflammatory. Any reason you didn't mention it?

3. Does a topical antibiotic really do anything for an upcoming acne lesion? Do you have any research on that? I've never seen research on it myself. Benzoyl peroxide is special because it penetrates into the skin unlike other antibiotics and kills 99.9% of bacteria reliably and deep inside the pore. Why not just use BP instead of a topical antibiotic with a band aid and all that?

4. Exactly why the petroleum jelly? I don't quite understand.

5. Why did you not recommend BP + AHA? Any specific reason? In my experience, this is the #1 thing you can do to prevent a zit, and then in reverse order: ice, ibuprofen (or another anti-inflammatory), and zinc.

6. Why did you not mention zinc, or omega-3s or any other systemic anti-inflammatory?

Also, the ZIIT method is for a zit that is not yet fully formed. You need to catch it early to prevent it.

MemberMember
(@quetzlcoatl)

Posted : 04/17/2013 12:54 am

I've done all of those but not at the same time, well now I know what to do!

MemberMember
(@real-maverick)

Posted : 04/17/2013 3:23 am

Only 2 of the steps match, both of which are commonly known to help.

MemberMember
(@real-maverick)

Posted : 04/22/2013 2:07 pm

Anybody actively tried this? I'd love to hear your feedback.

MemberMember
(@tritonxiv)

Posted : 04/22/2013 3:29 pm

For me, OTC 1% topical Hydrocortisone (anti-inflammatory) can stop a pimple in it's tracks if used at the first sign.

Be aware that Hydrocortisone is known to thin the skin after extended use in concentrations higher than 1%, but using a low concentration on isolated areas can be an effective emergency remedy in a pinch.

MemberMember
(@austra)

Posted : 08/07/2013 4:21 pm

I've done this too, except I use a 2.5% hydrocortisone cream instead of BP (up to a few days, not longer), zinc and sometimes ibuprofin. Actually this is the first time I'm trying the icing method as well and just stumbled across this thread. If I had BP I could try the ZIIT method just on its own, but now I'm just doing almost the same with what I've got at home right now.

I also double my fish oil dosage and make sure I get plenty of sleep whenever I have active lesions. And try to avoid sugar, fast carbs and dairy.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 08/09/2013 12:59 am

i haven't tried all the steps.does that count?

(@LewisS)

Posted : 08/09/2013 6:13 am

I never manage to get to one in time in order to prevent it. I go to bed with clear skin, wake up with either still clear or have a ton of whiteheads. I think I have the most unpredictable kind of acne imaginable. Sometimes I think I'd rather it be more consistent, at least I'd know where I stood.

I get a few days of being happy and clear, but know it won't last long...and it doesn't!

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 08/09/2013 7:31 am

I never manage to get to one in time in order to prevent it. I go to bed with clear skin, wake up with either still clear or have a ton of whiteheads. I think I have the most unpredictable kind of acne imaginable. Sometimes I think I'd rather it be more consistent, at least I'd know where I stood.

I get a few days of being happy and clear, but know it won't last long...and it doesn't!

i am unsure if whiteheads count!

(@LewisS)

Posted : 08/09/2013 8:20 am

I think when I say whiteheads, people think I mean those hard ones under the skin that are pretty small. I'm talking pustules. The ones that are red/inflamed and painful with a white top full of pus. Much more unsightly than some other forms of acne.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 08/09/2013 12:43 pm

I think when I say whiteheads, people think I mean those hard ones under the skin that are pretty small. I'm talking pustules. The ones that are red/inflamed and painful with a white top full of pus. Much more unsightly than some other forms of acne.

Technically,whiteheads aint inflamed.so when u say 'whitehead', yes, we consider those tiny white bumps which are not even that noticeable in many cases.

so i suggest now on mention the words 'small' & 'pustules' for better replies and help.

rolleyes.gif

for those kind of zits,i think u could try ziit method.

(@LewisS)

Posted : 08/09/2013 5:21 pm

Technically,whiteheads aint inflamed.so when u say 'whitehead', yes, we consider those tiny white bumps which are not even that noticeable in many cases.

so i suggest now on mention the words 'small' & 'pustules' for better replies and help.

rolleyes.gif

for those kind of zits,i think u could try ziit method.

Yeah I know what you mean. It's just something that I've always referred to them as. I have weird little milia spots too which don't bother me at all, but the pustules do!

It seems like no matter what I do, I can't get rid of them. Weirdly I can stay at home and not get any breakouts, but as soon as I face any stress and have to for example...go to work, I get them. I'm tempted to start the regimen again, but I'm happy with my skin texture at the moment which is really smooth and hyperpigmentation free!

I get really dry skin around my nose which is also a problem for me which I think contributes to the pustules I get in that area. Not really sure what to do anymore...so I've basically given up and just let them exist on my face.