Vitamin D3 And/or Z...

Notifications
Clear all

Vitamin D3 And/or Zinc For Oily Skin?

MemberMember
(@slumpey)

Posted : 04/16/2013 7:11 am

I have oily skin and read positive reviews about taking Zinc and/or Vitamin D3 to help minimize oil production.

I've been taking NOW Zinc Picolinate 50 mg and TWINLABS Copper 2 mg (since taking 50 mg of Zinc) for about a month now with pretty good results. I just added NOW Vitamin D3 1000 IU to my daily supplement intake.

Is taking both Zinc and D3 ok?

Is Zinc and/or D3 better than the other?

How about Vitamin A?

MORNING:

NOW Zinc Picolinate 50 mg

NOW Vitamin D3 1000 IU

EVENING

NOW Vitamin D3 1000 IU

TWINLABS Copper 2 mg

MemberMember
(@oilydave94)

Posted : 05/11/2013 8:21 pm

bump

MemberMember
(@omnivium)

Posted : 05/27/2013 5:10 am

I have oily skin and read positive reviews about taking Zinc and/or Vitamin D3 to help minimize oil production.

I've been taking NOW Zinc Picolinate 50 mg and TWINLABS Copper 2 mg (since taking 50 mg of Zinc) for about a month now with pretty good results. I just added NOW Vitamin D3 1000 IU to my daily supplement intake.

Is taking both Zinc and D3 ok?

Is Zinc and/or D3 better than the other?

How about Vitamin A?

MORNING:

NOW Zinc Picolinate 50 mg

NOW Vitamin D3 1000 IU

EVENING

NOW Vitamin D3 1000 IU

TWINLABS Copper 2 mg

Hey are you still taking the vitamin D? Did it help?

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 05/27/2013 8:01 pm

I was taking zinc for about a week and it did little for my skin, but worked like a mild steroid for my body. I went into the gym and I was setting personal bests right and left, it was nuts LOL. I finished my 1.5 hour workouts in 45 min !!!

Zinc is known to regulate DHT, and I'd imagine it down-regulated the conversion of Testosterone to DHT, meaning I had more accessible Testosterone flowing around in my body. I was taking 65-75 mg a day, and had to stop because this dose is dangerous long term; but man was it fun while I was on it. I felt like superman for 5 days LOL.

MemberMember
(@nakedsmurf)

Posted : 05/27/2013 8:05 pm

I was taking zinc for about a week and it did little for my skin, but worked like a mild steroid for my body. I went into the gym and I was setting personal bests right and left, it was nuts LOL. I finished my 1.5 hour workouts in 45 min !!!

Zinc is known to regulate DHT, and I'd imagine it down-regulated the conversion of Testosterone to DHT, meaning I had more accessible Testosterone flowing around in my body. I was taking 65-75 mg a day, and had to stop because this dose is dangerous long term; but man was it fun while I was on it. I felt like superman for 5 days LOL.

I heard zinc slows down baldness pattern.

MemberMember
(@oilygirl1980)

Posted : 06/02/2013 6:01 pm

I just bought dissolving zinc tablets last night. 15 mg.

Is there a different dose I should be on? Should I not be taking this at all? I don't know much about zinc or what it can do or not do for the body. It says it's for immune support, which I have a crap immune system....

MemberMember
(@omnivium)

Posted : 06/02/2013 7:28 pm

I just bought dissolving zinc tablets last night. 15 mg.

Is there a different dose I should be on? Should I not be taking this at all? I don't know much about zinc or what it can do or not do for the body. It says it's for immune support, which I have a crap immune system....

15mg is safe. You could take 30mg per day for a while without any problems as well.

Some people say it helps with their oily skin, but for me it just helps with inflammation.

MemberMember
(@oilygirl1980)

Posted : 06/03/2013 12:49 am

I never knew it did anything for acne. If it just helps my skin heal faster that would be nice.

MemberMember
(@stella-the-diver)

Posted : 06/04/2013 4:44 pm

That's interesting. I have extremely oily skin. I hear that if you don't moisturize, the skin will produce more oil. I also hear that if you moisturize, it makes it oily, too. So I don't even know what myth to believe in. But my skin, moisturized or not, it's oily. Some people say that overwashing your face causes oily skin, too. I wash my face twice a day. If I reduce it, say, wash it once a day in the morning, then I get really oily at the end of the day, I skip washing and let the oil sit on my face for 8 hours when I'm sleeping until I wash it next morning? I dunno, I feel uncomfortable and my face is too oily if I don't wash it at night...the cavemen regimen would be out of the question for me.

I'm also currently taking Omega 3 supplement, I wonder if that helps minimize oil production.

MemberMember
(@adavilla)

Posted : 06/04/2013 6:40 pm

i'm not sure on the zinc, but i have personally taken vitamin d3 to cure my acne. My skin is still a bit bumpy and dry. Maybe i will pair them up like you are doing.

MemberMember
(@oilygirl1980)

Posted : 06/04/2013 10:35 pm

Stella- I was in the same boat. Before I came here, I had no idea which one of those things were true. Learning from all the people on here, I now know without question that none of the oily skin "myths" are true. My skin is oily regardless of cleansing or moisturizing. I found a few things that manage the oil a bit better, but I'm sort of wondering if I'm doomed for life. It could be worse though. As long as I keep my acne away, I'm ok with that. Some of the guys that posted on this thread are extremely knowledgeable on how and why skin is oily. Read some of their posts when you get a chance. It has answered A LOT of questions for me.

Adavilla- What does of D3 are you taking and in what form? Does it seem to help oil at all?

MemberMember
(@ghost08)

Posted : 06/06/2013 1:22 pm

I haven't had Zinc ever help with oily skin, but my new vitamin cocktail does. I started them all at the same time so I can't say which is helping though.

Fish oil also works AMAZING!

MemberMember
(@jb00)

Posted : 06/07/2013 6:56 am

I am taking zing (44 mg per day) and vitamin D (5,000IU), I am not sure if it is helping with oily skin though :P