Notifications
Clear all

Coconut Oil Is So Calming To My Zits/hormonal Acne.

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 04/15/2013 3:51 pm

I've been using Paula's Choice products for a while now and have gotten quite clear because of them (see my log in my signature). However, I still can sometimes get hormonal acne or little flare-ups every now and then.

For example, a couple weeks ago, I had a cyst on my jawline. It was the only active blemish that I had, but it hurt. So, after seeing a review on Coconut Oil from my favorite YouTube makeup tutorial-ist (shaaanxo), and seeing what lovely results she's had from using it, I decided to go out and buy it.

At first, I was skeptical...I mean, putting oil on my acne-prone face seemed disgusting. So, I just put a little bit on my cyst before I went to bed, and a little on my lips for extra moisture.

Well, when I woke up, my cyst was almost gone. It was awesome. And I put coconut oil on it again the next night, and it was completely gone in the morning.

....I still thought it was a fluke because well, honestly, everything I have ever thought was great for my skin (other than PC Products) has ripped my face to shreds eventually...

So, I started putting it all over my face at night and my red marks have SIGNIFICANTLY reduced. And sometimes, if I've used my facial brush before I spread the oil on my face, I can feel the coconut oil "pulling" any blackheads out....

Anyway, two more stories and then I'll be done:

1. I was beginning to get a cyst two days ago, so I placed some coconut oil on it in the morning (I usually just use it at night 'cause it's super oily). By the night, it was gone. AND, I had picked at it so I figured it'd probably just get worse.

2. My boyfriend's nose gets red and flaky and he recently started putting coconut oil on it. Well, after a couple uses, his nose is much more normal colored and not flaky at all. He's really happy about it.

Just remember-- if you get coconut oil: Get the COLD or EXPELLER-PRESSED VIRGIN COCONUT OIL. Not the refined crap.

:)

Has anybody else had good experiences with coconut oil?

MemberMember
(@okaythen)

Posted : 04/15/2013 4:05 pm

I'm very tempted to try this.

I experimented with olive oil for about a week, and was very happy with the results. I don't leave it on though. I'm positive that would break me out.

I would massage it into for face for about 5 minutes, leave it on for about 5 more minutes, dab off the excess with tissue paper and then use face wash I noticed my face wash lathered a lot better with the oil on my face, and my skin was left softer than it has ever been. I just couldn't stop touching my face after. I think it helped with the overall tone and texture of my face, too.

I also went on a sugar/alcohol binge during that week, and subsequently broke out, and although I know it was from the sugar and booze, I'm going to wait until my skin is clear again before I resume massaging with olive oil.

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 04/15/2013 5:28 pm

I'm very tempted to try this.

I experimented with olive oil for about a week, and was very happy with the results. I don't leave it on though. I'm positive that would break me out.

I would massage it into for face for about 5 minutes, leave it on for about 5 more minutes, dab off the excess with tissue paper and then use face wash I noticed my face wash lathered a lot better with the oil on my face, and my skin was left softer than it has ever been. I just couldn't stop touching my face after. I think it helped with the overall tone and texture of my face, too.

I also went on a sugar/alcohol binge during that week, and subsequently broke out, and although I know it was from the sugar and booze, I'm going to wait until my skin is clear again before I resume massaging with olive oil.

Yeah, I wouldn't be confident enough with my skin to use oil on it until it was at least fairly clear. I never even thought of oil as an option until I was clear from my own acne regimen. But coconut oil has brought my skin to a different level. Instead of having kind of ruddy looking, uneven skin, I'm regaining my natural "peaches and cream" look. :)

I've read some good reviews on olive oil, but even more on coconut oil! I love touching my face now. Although, I probably shouldn't lol. Sugar and alcohol doesn't trigger me (thankfully!!), so I don't have to worry about drinking. I think I would go crazy if I couldn't have some beer or wine every now and then lol.gif haha

MemberMember
(@okaythen)

Posted : 04/16/2013 3:36 am

I'm oiling my hair now, and I'm just going to go ahead and rub some in my face.

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 04/16/2013 11:08 am

I'm oiling my hair now, and I'm just going to go ahead and rub some in my face.

Did you use olive oil or coconut oil? :)

If anyone's interested:

I'm hormonal right now (UGH...time of the month), and I have just one little active on my face on my chin..because I picked at "something" there...and when I say "something," I mean pretty much nothing. It turned into a little hard thing under my skin last night, so I picked at it some more, naturally! (....why do I do that to myself?). Of course nothing came out of it because it's under the skin. After I slapped my own hand away before I could do more damage, I cleansed my face again, and gently put some extra coconut oil on the spot. This morning, it came to a head, I carefully extracted it, put more coconut oil on it...and now, 6 hours later, it's gone! :D Wee!

MemberMember
(@okaythen)

Posted : 04/17/2013 8:28 pm

I used coconut oil. Really massaged it in. This one whitehead I had is gone.

Olive oil makes my hair and face alot softer though. Had a few dry patches after washing the coconut oil off.

I'm going to use it on my face pre-washing in the morning for a week either way, to see if it helps with my dark spots!

MemberMember
(@skintuition)

Posted : 04/19/2013 5:24 pm

This post is very convincing. I first started the acne.org regimen last summer, and loved the results I was getting. It completely cleared my skin - but my skin was so dry that I needed to do something. I eventually began to veer off of the regimen and onto my own OTC regimen.

It was for the most part working, but recently my skin has decided that it's going to just... not liking whatever I'm doing to it. Anyway, I posted on the Regimen forum asking for help

Anyway, this month I started getting these red spots. There will be at least one or two of them at a time, and they like to hang out on my forehead. They go away after about 1-2 days. I'll also get them on my cheeks. I'm still using benzoyl peroxide because it's the only thing that's really been working... I still want to continue using benzoyl peroxide, but i want to try coconut oil.

Since it's working so well for you, I figured I'd do some more research so that's what I'm doing now. I'm very tempted to try it, my question is, do you think it would work with Acne.Org BP?

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 04/19/2013 10:26 pm

This post is very convincing. I first started the acne.org regimen last summer, and loved the results I was getting. It completely cleared my skin - but my skin was so dry that I needed to do something. I eventually began to veer off of the regimen and onto my own OTC regimen.

It was for the most part working, but recently my skin has decided that it's going to just... not liking whatever I'm doing to it. Anyway, I posted on the Regimen forum asking for help http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/328004-blemishes-after-1-year-on-regimen-help/

Anyway, this month I started getting these red spots. There will be at least one or two of them at a time, and they like to hang out on my forehead. They go away after about 1-2 days. I'll also get them on my cheeks. I'm still using benzoyl peroxide because it's the only thing that's really been working... I still want to continue using benzoyl peroxide, but i want to try coconut oil.

Since it's working so well for you, I figured I'd do some more research so that's what I'm doing now. I'm very tempted to try it, my question is, do you think it would work with Acne.Org BP?

I honestly hate BP...it makes my skin really itchy and red. But, I do think that for the people whose skin likes BP, coconut oil would be a great addition. I find that coconut oil used at nighttime is so moisturizing and it doesn't leave me with a tight skin feeling afterwards. Just put the BP on your skin, let it dry, then follow it with coconut oil. But, like I keep saying, coconut oil can make your face shiny, so I just use it at night and then I use a different SPF moisturizer in the daytime. I also use AHA, and I know that it helps with the red marks...but I never saw a huge improvement until using the coconut oil.

Good luck! Remember, don't use the refined stuff! Use the unrefined, virgin coconut oil! :D

MemberMember
(@skintuition)

Posted : 04/20/2013 10:00 am

On 4/20/2013 at 11:26 AM, heitea said:
On 4/20/2013 at 6:24 AM, InfinityMunchkin said:

It was for the most part working, but recently my skin has decided that it's going to just... not liking whatever I'm doing to it. Anyway, I posted on the Regimen forum asking for help http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/328004-blemishes-after-1-year-on-regimen-help/

I honestly hate BP...it makes my skin really itchy and red. But, I do think that for the people whose skin likes BP, coconut oil would be a great addition. I find that coconut oil used at nighttime is so moisturizing and it doesn't leave me with a tight skin feeling afterwards. Just put the BP on your skin, let it dry, then follow it with coconut oil. But, like I keep saying, coconut oil can make your face shiny, so I just use it at night and then I use a different SPF moisturizer in the daytime. I also use AHA, and I know that it helps with the red marks...but I never saw a huge improvement until using the coconut oil.

Good luck! Remember, don't use the refined stuff! Use the unrefined, virgin coconut oil! [Edited image out]

Thanks for the advice. The moisturizer I'm using already makes me pretty shiny, so shininess isn't really a new thing to me. I've heard coconut oil makes a lot of people break out, but I've also heard that it works wonders for others so I'm going to try it anyway. Wish me luck!

MemberMember
(@okaythen)

Posted : 04/21/2013 3:05 pm

I think you should try using it as a pre-wash 10 minute mask, before putting it on overnight! Just my two cents.

I've been doing this in the mornings, and my usually extremely oily skin is hardly oily at all, even at the end of the day! And it's summer here in Bombay, so that's something.

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 04/21/2013 4:39 pm

I think you should try using it as a pre-wash 10 minute mask, before putting it on overnight! Just my two cents.

I've been doing this in the mornings, and my usually extremely oily skin is hardly oily at all, even at the end of the day! And it's summer here in Bombay, so that's something.

okaythen,

Cool- I'll try it out and let you know how it works for me. I'm glad you're liking coconut oil :)

MemberMember
(@ask24)

Posted : 05/07/2013 7:41 pm

I've tried coconut oil, and honestly it is amazing.

If you take in internally (1 tbsp/day) your body is getting the short chain fatty acids for the cells to repair themselves. If you take it internally it should stop your hormonal acne as well, also consider taking vitex fruit (very good for hormonal changes in your body).

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 05/08/2013 7:23 am

If you take in internally (1 tbsp/day) your body is getting the short chain fatty acids for the cells to repair themselves. If you take it internally it should stop your hormonal acne as well, also consider taking vitex fruit (very good for hormonal changes in your body).

I put it on my toast every morning :D It actually has more medium-chain fatty acids -- 6-12 carbons-- in it, which is said to have antiviral and antimicrobial properties. I've only found one study on that, though. In the study, it was found that the lauric acid that makes up most of the fatty acids in coconut oil (when taken internally) is converted into monolaurin which inhibits the cell membranes of bacteria and can stop protein synthesis and DNA replication. This would kill the bacteria. That would only be a result of taking it internally, though...otherwise it wouldn't convert to monolaurin. So, you're definitely right about the benefits of taking it internally! It does make my face super soft when I put it directly on my skin, though :P

I'm not sure if it's helping/hurting my hormonal acne (as I still get stress zits sometimes). What is the vitex fruit you're talking about? Is it a pill/supplement?

thanks!

MemberMember
(@auguriesofinnocence)

Posted : 05/08/2013 12:12 pm

I like the sound of this! I just strted cooking with coconut oil spray...if I do this and start eating it I will make sure to get the proper kind.

Thanks for the idea.

MemberMember
(@adavilla)

Posted : 05/08/2013 8:29 pm

I love cocoanut oil!!! It is so much better than anything you can buy in the skincare aisle!!!! it even helped my baby with exima at a few months old. The emima didn't come back either!!! This stuff is a miracle!!!! [Edited image out][Edited image out][Edited image out][Edited image out]

MemberMember
(@jb00)

Posted : 05/09/2013 3:11 am

I have oily skin and coconut oil is really wonderful as a skin moisturizer. It works like $1000 dollar beauty product. Soft and supple skin that no lotion or cream that promised to deliver ever did.

If you are bothered, its too oily you can wash it off with water after a few minutes but the skin readily absorb the fatty acid in coconut oil and let your skin enjoy good nutrition.

Highly recommend.

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 05/09/2013 10:03 am

On 5/9/2013 at 9:29 AM, adavilla said:

I love cocoanut oil!!! It is so much better than anything you can buy in the skincare aisle!!!! it even helped my baby with exima at a few months old. The emima didn't come back either!!! This stuff is a miracle!!!! [Edited image out][Edited image out][Edited image out][Edited image out]

Yes, it helps my eczema as well! I get patches on my legs usually because of shaving...but I haven't gotten any since using the coconut oil on my legs!

On 5/9/2013 at 4:11 PM, jb00 said:

I have oily skin and coconut oil is really wonderful as a skin moisturizer. It works like $1000 dollar beauty product. Soft and supple skin that no lotion or cream that promised to deliver ever did.

If you are bothered, its too oily you can wash it off with water after a few minutes but the skin readily absorb the fatty acid in coconut oil and let your skin enjoy good nutrition.

Highly recommend.

My boyfriend calls it a miracle oil... he thinks it's incredible. He has dry skin and is obsessed with using the coconut oil every night on his face. :D

MemberMember
(@ask24)

Posted : 05/09/2013 8:20 pm

On 5/8/2013 at 8:23 PM, heitea said:
On 5/8/2013 at 8:41 AM, ask24 said:

I put it on my toast every morning [Edited image out] It actually has more medium-chain fatty acids -- 6-12 carbons-- in it, which is said to have antiviral and antimicrobial properties. I've only found one study on that, though. In the study, it was found that the lauric acid that makes up most of the fatty acids in coconut oil (when taken internally) is converted into monolaurin which inhibits the cell membranes of bacteria and can stop protein synthesis and DNA replication. This would kill the bacteria. That would only be a result of taking it internally, though...otherwise it wouldn't convert to monolaurin. So, you're definitely right about the benefits of taking it internally! It does make my face super soft when I put it directly on my skin, though [Edited image out]

I'm not sure if it's helping/hurting my hormonal acne (as I still get stress zits sometimes). What is the vitex fruit you're talking about? Is it a pill/supplement?

thanks!

Thats awesome, so you don't have much dietary changes (like fruits and veggies only)? Also how severe was your acne? I just want to know from your perspective.

When I put it topically I notice a great difference , the swelling goes away after a while as soon as I break out.

Have you tried mixing coconut oil with camphor? I used it once, the smell was very strong, but just as effective.

Also I mixed vitamin E oil with coconut oil and the marks faded even faster .

vitex fruit is a herbal supplement that regulates hormones changes, and helps with menustral cramps as well.

MemberMember
(@madeleine24)

Posted : 05/12/2013 2:48 am

Thanks! I will definitely give this a try and let you know it goes. I have been wanting to try coconut oil (for cooking lol) for some time. Think I should treat my skin with it instead ;).

MemberMember
(@skintuition)

Posted : 05/12/2013 10:29 am

Oh my Gosh... Ok so after reading this article I bought some Dr. Bronner's Magic All In One Unrefined Expeller Pressed, Virgin Coconut Oil (wow what a mouthfull) intending to use it as a moisturizer. I will admit I was skeptical at first. It does smell like coconuts. I tried some on my legs and didn't really see the full effect. It just felt greasy to me. I got brave enough to try some on my face.

I only applied a little bit to my chin (the place where the whiteheads never really went away on the regimen) the next day I didn't really see any difference so I went back to my normal moisturizer.

I felt bad leaving perfectly good Coconut Oil just sit there. So I tried it again, I applied it twice now and first of all let me tell you, my chin hasn't been flaky at all. This coconut oil really locks in the moisture. Also, a lot of the whiteheads have been greatly reduced and almost gone! I am impressed! I'm going to try this all over my face *fingers crossed* let's see how this goes!

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 05/12/2013 5:05 pm

On 5/10/2013 at 9:20 AM, ask24 said:
On 5/8/2013 at 8:23 PM, heitea said:
On 5/8/2013 at 8:41 AM, ask24 said:

I put it on my toast every morning [Edited image out] It actually has more medium-chain fatty acids -- 6-12 carbons-- in it, which is said to have antiviral and antimicrobial properties. I've only found one study on that, though. In the study, it was found that the lauric acid that makes up most of the fatty acids in coconut oil (when taken internally) is converted into monolaurin which inhibits the cell membranes of bacteria and can stop protein synthesis and DNA replication. This would kill the bacteria. That would only be a result of taking it internally, though...otherwise it wouldn't convert to monolaurin. So, you're definitely right about the benefits of taking it internally! It does make my face super soft when I put it directly on my skin, though [Edited image out]

thanks!

Thats awesome, so you don't have much dietary changes (like fruits and veggies only)? Also how severe was your acne? I just want to know from your perspective.

When I put it topically I notice a great difference , the swelling goes away after a while as soon as I break out.

Have you tried mixing coconut oil with camphor? I used it once, the smell was very strong, but just as effective.

Also I mixed vitamin E oil with coconut oil and the marks faded even faster .

vitex fruit is a herbal supplement that regulates hormones changes, and helps with menustral cramps as well.

I'm a vegetarian and I eat very well to begin with. My acne is not overly severe, but I did get the occasional cyst and whiteheads-- I mostly had a blackhead problem.

I do notice a difference topically as well! It gets rid of my cystic acne SO quickly. It's awesome-- it reduces the swelling for me, too.

I haven't used camphor before, but I mix my coconut oil with vitamin E and jojoba oil, too sometimes and I find that they're lovely additions!

On 5/12/2013 at 3:48 PM, Madeleine24 said:

Thanks! I will definitely give this a try and let you know it goes. I have been wanting to try coconut oil (for cooking lol) for some time. Think I should treat my skin with it instead wink.png.

Good luck! Do what I did-- try it on just a few spots to begin with and then take the plunge into full-face treatment if you see positive results. :D

On 5/12/2013 at 11:29 PM, InfinityMunchkin said:

Oh my Gosh... Ok so after reading this article I bought some Dr. Bronner's Magic All In One Unrefined Expeller Pressed, Virgin Coconut Oil (wow what a mouthfull) intending to use it as a moisturizer. I will admit I was skeptical at first. It does smell like coconuts. I tried some on my legs and didn't really see the full effect. It just felt greasy to me. I got brave enough to try some on my face.

I only applied a little bit to my chin (the place where the whiteheads never really went away on the regimen) the next day I didn't really see any difference so I went back to my normal moisturizer.

I felt bad leaving perfectly good Coconut Oil just sit there. So I tried it again, I applied it twice now and first of all let me tell you, my chin hasn't been flaky at all. This coconut oil really locks in the moisture. Also, a lot of the whiteheads have been greatly reduced and almost gone! I am impressed! I'm going to try this all over my face *fingers crossed* let's see how this goes!

Isn't it an awesome moisturizer?

I use it on my legs after shaving and I don't get bumps or eczema like I used to-- but I agree, it can feel greasy.

I tested the coconut oil just like you did-- on a couple zits first and then did my whole face. Don't put too much to start off with-- just a finger-tip full ( a pea-sized amount). Rub it around on your face and then go to bed. I hope it works out for you! :D

(@LewisS)

Posted : 05/13/2013 9:01 am

Really want to try using oils on my skin - just not sure which ones are best. Do they absorb or sit on the skin? I don't think I could bear an oily feel to my face...well more than it already is.

I'm definitely going to get myself some Jojoba oil eventually and maybe even try out coconut oil, since this thread isn't the first one I've seen about how good it is for the skin. :)

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 05/13/2013 11:34 am

Really want to try using oils on my skin - just not sure which ones are best. Do they absorb or sit on the skin? I don't think I could bear an oily feel to my face...well more than it already is.

I'm definitely going to get myself some Jojoba oil eventually and maybe even try out coconut oil, since this thread isn't the first one I've seen about how good it is for the skin. smile.png

Hey Lewis,

They do absorb-- but some faster than others. And of course, it varies depending on how much you slather on there!

I don't put coconut oil on my face in the morning-- just at night. And that's because it can give the face a shiny look to it. Although, sometimes, if I have a dry spot, I'll just touch a little bit (a small dot) of coconut oil to that spot and rub it in. Or I'll use jojoba oil. If you use a little, it doesn't sit on the skin and actually makes the skin feel more "normal" after a week or so.

I don't mind the greasy feel at night because well, I'm sleeping and it doesn't matter to me much. When I wake up, my skin doesn't feel greasy at all! If it was hot in my room at night and I sweated a little, I'll feel more greasy than coconut oil makes me feel. haha was that too much information? I don't know.. :P

Anyway, I haven't used any water on my face in about a week now. I'm feeling good :)

MemberMember
(@skintuition)

Posted : 05/13/2013 1:20 pm

I'm definitely going to get myself some Jojoba oil eventually and maybe even try out coconut oil, since this thread isn't the first one I've seen about how good it is for the skin. smile.png

Oils are great - they can really help control oiliness and moisturize the skin at the same time. I've been using Jojoba oil for over a year now - it's amazing. I absolutely love it. At first it can feel a little greasy - it can feel like it may clog your pores but in most cases, if you get organic it won't. It's great as a moisturizer as well as a moisturizer base if your skin is super dry... It can make you look a little orange if you use too much but it's really great. Jojoba oil is very similar to your skin's natural oils, so when you put it on your face it tricks your skin into thinking that it doesn't need to produce any of that pore-clogging sebum.

Coconut oil is an awesome moisturizer. It's quick and simple. I just started using it on my face and I love it. All the antioxidants in it are helping clear up the whiteheads on my chin - that's a task even Benzoyl Peroxide couldn't do for me. It absorbs really quickly - less than 5 minutes. You won't even be able to tell you have it on. For the first time today I tried mixing Jojoba Oil and Coconut Oil for a completely natural oil moisturizer. It takes care of flaking really well without leaving my skin greasy. It's really low-maintenance. I also hear great things about Avocado Oil. Good luck trying out natural oils!

MemberMember
(@cassiie)

Posted : 05/13/2013 5:18 pm

I just started using the cocout oil (unrefined, organic, extra virgin) like 3 weeks ago and its amazing! i cant believe all these years of spending all kinds of money on stupid products that claimed miraculous results and BAM coconut oil is the one that works and really well! its even lightening my scars! and people are so skeptical about it when they hear about it because its oil but its amazing