Can Coffee Cause Ho...

Notifications
Clear all

Can Coffee Cause Hormonal Acne?

MemberMember
(@js327)

Posted : 04/13/2013 8:02 pm

Has anyone had success with removing caffeine from their diet?

I have Severe acne which I know is acne is hormonal because I have extremely oily skin.

I have tried everything to fix it except

Spironolactone.

Eliminating sugar from my diet has helped, and this i where I assume the link from sugar to hormones is a factor in my acne.

I am currently on my first round of accutane. I eat completely grain, sugar, and dairy free.

My only diet "vice" is coffee.

I know it will be extremely difficult to give up so I'm wondering if its worth it...

anyone had any success giving up coffee?

I have read that coffee affects the hormones but I'm wondering if it can really cause hormonal acne?

Any comments appreciated:)

MemberMember
(@dc-girl-3)

Posted : 04/13/2013 10:59 pm

Short answer; YES!!!!!!!!!

I lived for coffee and had a hard time giving it up but it majorly contributed to my estrogen dominance.

Give it up, you will be glad you did.

It escalates cortisol. Cortisol is a hormone.

Estrogen, cortisol and progesterone are all inter-related.

Look up The Hormone cure by Sara Gottfried.

MemberMember
(@a-p)

Posted : 04/14/2013 10:44 pm

Uh oh I'm drinking coffee right now!!!

MemberMember
(@js327)

Posted : 04/22/2013 8:53 am

thanks!

MemberMember
(@wheatfree)

Posted : 05/03/2013 6:27 pm

Do you think decaf coffee is safe? I know they can't remove all of the caffeine but wonder if they remove enough to clear up that problem?

MemberMember
(@kelseylee)

Posted : 05/04/2013 12:01 am

coffee/caffeine doesn't cause acne. I drank coffee for years with zero acne. I, personally, think acne comes from an overstimulated, over inflamed system and caffeine can exacerbate that, giving the appearance that its contributing. But if you drink coffee in moderate amounts because its something you enjoy, I dont see that as a problem. My acne got worse when I cut out coffee for two months. part of it was probably that I was sad and anxious I was cutting out everything I liked. I drink coffee every morning and my acne is almost gone. however if I drank crap loads of it, that would probably give me anxiety, and then my acne might get worse.

MemberMember
(@melmel87)

Posted : 05/04/2013 11:37 am

Everyone's acne can happen for different reasons and yes the caffeine in drinks can worsen acne because of the cortisol, especially if you're already stressed out, you should avoid anything that can worsen that. Try switching to chicory root coffee or decaf teas if you still want a drink.

(@LewisS)

Posted : 05/04/2013 3:14 pm

I hope not, I love tea (also highly caffeinated) and I drink around 4 cups a day.

Caffeine doesn't really agree with me, but I'm addicted!

Plus, I'm British. How can I not drink tea?

MemberMember
(@js327)

Posted : 05/28/2013 8:04 am

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I am going to do a week of a juice fast this week with removing coffee at the same time, so i'll post back here after!