Notifications
Clear all

Will I Break Out If I Stop Taking Doxycycline?

MemberMember
(@xabier94)

Posted : 04/13/2013 8:21 am

I've been taking oral doxycycline for 2 months, 100mg a day, and using epiduo gel at nights.

Now my derm told me to stop taking doxy and to start using topical erythromycin at mornings and keep using epiduo at nights.

Before taking the antibiotics i had mild acne, about 5-10 spots in jawline and chin. The initial breakout was horrible, my whole chin was covered in red inflamed spots.

Now my face is cleared up, but im scared that i will breakout 10x worse since im stopping taking doxycicline.

I would like to hear your answers please. How long till i get spots again? Will it be worse than before or just as before taking the antibiotics?

Sorry for my english.

MemberMember
(@melmel87)

Posted : 04/13/2013 9:23 am

You can't live on antibiotics, they help get the acne under control and then the hope is that topicals will continue to keep them under control. If you start breaking out again then just call the dermatologist.

MemberMember
(@simonukox)

Posted : 04/13/2013 11:19 am

Though its not an accepted fact, a lot of people recommend taking some form of Probiotic whilst reducing your intake of Antibiotics. This is since, as with most medicine, Antibiotics are not only killing the bacteria that causes Acne, but also a lot of the good bacteria in your gut. Also, gradually reduce your dosage rather than going cold turkey on it. That way you can see whether you still need to be on Antibiotics or not if you start getting Acne again. Good luck!

MemberMember
(@xabier94)

Posted : 04/13/2013 12:54 pm

Thanks for the answers.

I ran out of pills, so i cant gradually reduce the dosage progressively.

I hope that the topical antibiotics will keep acne under control, i wouldnt mind two or three spots, but i couldnt bear with a skin like i had during the initial breakout.

Also, how long till i get a breakout? I mean, will acne attack back this week or maybe i'll have clear skin for a little bit time and then acne comes back gradually?

I have to give a couple conferences next week for college, and im actually having nightmares about waking up with my chin and jawline full of pimples, since i've read a lot of stories about people who stopped taking doxycycline and acne came back worse than ever.

MemberMember
(@doddy46)

Posted : 04/13/2013 9:48 pm

If your acne comes back, obviously the antibiotics didn't work long term, and you have likely damaged your intestinal flora permanently. Although they are resilient and will try to recover over some years (and will be mostly successful might I Add, depending on how much damage you've done) they will never be exactly the same, this is like a big game of Russian Roulette with an 8 shooter, and 7 chambers are loaded. NO MORE ANTIBIOTICS no matter what.

MemberMember
(@xabier94)

Posted : 04/14/2013 5:05 am

Why shouldn't i take antibiotics ever again? I don't know in America, but in Europe antibiotics are an everyday thing. I had taken antibiotics for the flu, for wounds, for almost everything. I read that you have tinnitus, i had antibiotics for it, since mine was caused by inflamation due to a pretty big cold i had, ever since no more buzzing in my ears, i can even travel on plane.

I don't mean my answer to be harsh, but it's either antibiotics or accutane, and i would rather have stomachaches than suicidal thoughts.

Anyway, I appreciate your answer, i'll tell you all if my skin remains clear or i have breakouts or whatever

MemberMember
(@cassie-reannan)

Posted : 04/14/2013 6:31 am

I am on doxy 50mg a day and have been for about a month and a half. It has probably reduced my acne by 50% and I have 2 months remaining.. I also am worried about it. Luckily I am on the regimen and a BC for acne so hopefully that will take the edge off the initial break out. You should have cut it down slowly.

I am not happy I am on antibiotics but my doctor urged me to give it a try and if it didnt work to see a dermatologist. Goodluck.

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 04/14/2013 7:32 am

I took doxy for 3 or 4 months about 3 years ago. I also used BP at this time. The doxy helped clear my skin but when I stopped (also abruptly - sort of hard to gradually reduce when you're on a prescription product I think) my skin remained clear for about a month before I started seeing acne again. It was gradual and, thankfully, it was not any worse than it had been before I started doxy. I've heard of people remaining clear a lot longer than a month after stopping though so maybe that will be the case for you.

Good luck :)

MemberMember
(@xabier94)

Posted : 04/14/2013 9:32 am

Thanks for your answers.

Cassie, good luck with the doxy and the initial breakout. In my case, doxycycline has completely cleared my skin, not a single zit at the moment, so i hope it works so good with you too.

Lilly, your answer made me really happy. I was scared that acne would come back abruptly, that i would wake up tomorrow with lots of pimples you know, so your response did put my mind at ease. After having moderate acne for the last 5 months or so, having a clear face for one month would be great.

Today i started with topical erythromycin, so i hope it helps to keep my skin clear for a lil bit more time.

i'll post my results, good luck everybody

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 04/30/2013 1:18 am

how many courses of antibiotics did you take before taking doxycycline (for other things?)?

MemberMember
(@cassie-reannan)

Posted : 05/02/2013 5:48 am

Thanks for your answers.

Cassie, good luck with the doxy and the initial breakout. In my case, doxycycline has completely cleared my skin, not a single zit at the moment, so i hope it works so good with you too.

Lilly, your answer made me really happy. I was scared that acne would come back abruptly, that i would wake up tomorrow with lots of pimples you know, so your response did put my mind at ease. After having moderate acne for the last 5 months or so, having a clear face for one month would be great.

Today i started with topical erythromycin, so i hope it helps to keep my skin clear for a lil bit more time.

Thanks for wishing me well. Since I replied my skin has gone completely clear!! I havent had a pimple in almost 5 days! I have been on doxy 2 months next Tuesday. I am soooo happy cheer.gifcheer.gif

MemberMember
(@xabier94)

Posted : 05/02/2013 8:02 am

how many courses of antibiotics did you take before taking doxycycline (for other things?)?

Due to the fact that im not english native speaker i dont know if you mean if i had taken other antibiotics for the acne or if i had taken other antibiotics for other things.

I used topical antibiotics on my forehead before the summer because i had a very big breakout (lots of cysts and inflamed pimples etc) because of the fringe and sweat because of the hot weather and other factors. Since i used it, my forehead is completely clear, not even one "important" or big pimple.

I also used erythomicine or whatever its name is on the chin and jawline, but my acne didnt clear so i got prescrited doxy.

For other things i have taken lots of antibiotics, maybe its because in europe healthcare is for free or i dont know why, but taking antibiotics here is something very common. In fact i have always taken less antibiotics than the average person because im alergic to penicillin and other antibiotics, and i still have taken like 3 or 4 courses of antibiotics during last year.

MemberMember
(@xabier94)

Posted : 05/02/2013 8:59 am

Thanks for your answers.

Thanks for wishing me well. Since I replied my skin has gone completely clear!! I havent had a pimple in almost 5 days! I have been on doxy 2 months next Tuesday. I am soooo happy cheer.gifcheer.gif

Im very happy for you Cassie.

Since I stopped taking doxy (20 days ago or so) i have not had any breakout, just a couple pimples that healed in around 2 days.

I hope to stay clear for another month, so i can go to the derm and start working on my red marks. Im very white, so red marks really stand out (i think i hate red marks as much as pimples).

MemberMember
(@lillyrose7)

Posted : 05/02/2013 11:45 am

antibiotics aren't really a long term solution, you have to come off them anyway. i took doxy for about 7 weeks the last time i took them, couldn't handle it anymore because of the side effects.

it cleared up my spots and redness but my acne came back after about 2 months.

MemberMember
(@xabier94)

Posted : 05/02/2013 1:48 pm

antibiotics aren't really a long term solution, you have to come off them anyway. i took doxy for about 7 weeks the last time i took them, couldn't handle it anymore because of the side effects.

it cleared up my spots and redness but my acne came back after about 2 months.

which side effects did you experience? The worst side effect i heard of antibiotics was a girl friend of mine which had candida or something like that.

Sorry to hear that your acne came back after two months, hope you have better luck with other treatments and finally clear your skin

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 05/02/2013 5:09 pm

please stop the antibiotics. I beg of you

MemberMember
(@everythingthatshimmers)

Posted : 05/02/2013 8:47 pm

I have been on several rounds of antibiotics for acne over the years. Minocycline and doxycycline mostly and had good results for the most part. I personally see no problem with taking them if you use them short-term. I think people get concerned about the effects of antibiotics on intestinal flora which is a concern but all medications have their drawbacks. Topicals can burn/irritate the skin, birth control pills screw with your hormones and have their own side effects, Accutane certain has its own host of issues. At any rate, I was at one point acne free for a year after a few months of minocycline, I just used a topical to maintain my results. I did however develop drug-induced lupus my last round of tetracycline antibiotics so they are no longer an option for me. Good luck to you!

MemberMember
(@lillyrose7)

Posted : 05/03/2013 4:10 am

i just felt anxious and all on them and they made my skin look a bit pale, honestly antibiotics didnt bother me much in terms of side effects, its nothing compared to like accutane or something. I am basically clear now due to the pill .

MemberMember
(@xabier94)

Posted : 05/03/2013 6:21 am

I have been on several rounds of antibiotics for acne over the years. Minocycline and doxycycline mostly and had good results for the most part. I personally see no problem with taking them if you use them short-term. I think people get concerned about the effects of antibiotics on intestinal flora which is a concern but all medications have their drawbacks. Topicals can burn/irritate the skin, birth control pills screw with your hormones and have their own side effects, Accutane certain has its own host of issues. At any rate, I was at one point acne free for a year after a few months of minocycline, I just used a topical to maintain my results. I did however develop drug-induced lupus my last round of tetracycline antibiotics so they are no longer an option for me. Good luck to you!

Exactly! People will get all hyped up and start saying that antibiotics kill all bacteria in your body etc etc. but all medications have side effects, and antibiotics are a big medical advance.

My country is in the top ten of life expectancy at over 81 years, and i read somewhere that it was also in the top ten of antibiotics consume in europe.

I agree with other people that antibiotics are bad for health if you take them for too long, or when they haven't been prescripted, because you can develop resistance and they will not work when you really need them.

I don't know if the antibiotics issue is somehow a matter of perspective between americans and europeans because of the different healthcare systems ( i thought i was being trolled when i was spending holidays in america and in the hospital they told me that i had to pay for medical charges).

Anyway i'd like to thank all people answering in this post, and i really appreciate people caring for me with the intake of antibiotics and sharing their experiences

i just felt anxious and all on them and they made my skin look a bit pale, honestly antibiotics didnt bother me much in terms of side effects, its nothing compared to like accutane or something. I am basically clear now due to the pill .

Well i don't have to care about my skin looking pale, im white as paper during most of the year, and pink during the summer hahaha.

Im quite happy for you, being clear is one of the best feelings in the world, so i hope that you dont have to deal with acne ever in your life :)

MemberMember
(@everythingthatshimmers)

Posted : 05/03/2013 10:14 am

What country are you from, Xabier? We could discuss the American healthcare system but that would be a topic for another day. =) In my experience antibiotics are usually very inexpensive with insurance, sometimes even without insurance. They are also commonly prescribed for other infections. I think some people have had bad experiences with antibiotics in regards to acne treatment because some physicians prescribe them for an extended period of time (a year or longer) which increases the likelihood you will experience adverse effects. I've also noticed many people on this community seem opposed to antibiotic treatment for acne. Granted, it's not necessarily a solution and it's not for everyone but it is a valid treatment for many people. Good luck to you, I hope your skin stays clear. =)

MemberMember
(@lillyrose7)

Posted : 05/03/2013 11:44 am

Thanks Xabier thats so nice of you. I still have small breakouts, but my mom and doc and all agree its nothing like it was before. Trust me my acne battle hasn't been easy. There have been a lot of tears, frustration, doctors appointments, anger etc, it even affects my social life. Even though i can cover it with make up, when you have the large spots it is still noticeable. It was my final draw you know, to take the pill again to see if would clear and i was told to stay on it a minimum of 6 months before making a judgement and its only on the 4th month i see some improvement.Still have small spots but they disappear quicker. Before i would get big ones and it felt like awful they would literally stay on my face for more than a week or ten days! It was either this or accutane which is scary. I didn't have too many problems with antibiotics, i would take them again if absolutely necessary but i know long term its not good. i forgot to mention that the DOXY can have some gastro side effects, i did not experience them in my third time on DOXY only when i took them a few years ago. I had dairy very close to taking my antiobitic and i heard this is a big no no because it can induce vomiting/pains/nasusea etc. I noticed i looked pale, but as in, i looked like i was sick, like i had an illness that was making me look a bit grey/yellow instead of my normal pale olive/pink.

MemberMember
(@xabier94)

Posted : 05/03/2013 2:40 pm

Thanks Xabier thats so nice of you. I still have small breakouts, but my mom and doc and all agree its nothing like it was before. Trust me my acne battle hasn't been easy. There have been a lot of tears, frustration, doctors appointments, anger etc, it even affects my social life. Even though i can cover it with make up, when you have the large spots it is still noticeable. It was my final draw you know, to take the pill again to see if would clear and i was told to stay on it a minimum of 6 months before making a judgement and its only on the 4th month i see some improvement.Still have small spots but they disappear quicker. Before i would get big ones and it felt like awful they would literally stay on my face for more than a week or ten days! It was either this or accutane which is scary. I didn't have too many problems with antibiotics, i would take them again if absolutely necessary but i know long term its not good. i forgot to mention that the DOXY can have some gastro side effects, i did not experience them in my third time on DOXY only when i took them a few years ago. I had dairy very close to taking my antiobitic and i heard this is a big no no because it can induce vomiting/pains/nasusea etc. I noticed i looked pale, but as in, i looked like i was sick, like i had an illness that was making me look a bit grey/yellow instead of my normal pale olive/pink.

I know how you used feel, when my acne was at my worst i could go days staying at home, skipping classes at college, i stopped going out at nights, and since any of my friends will read this post, i can admit that i have cryed too.

Now, after tears and deppresion we are clear, so whats left to do but enjoy :)

MemberMember
(@xabier94)

Posted : 05/03/2013 3:04 pm

What country are you from, Xabier? We could discuss the American healthcare system but that would be a topic for another day. =) In my experience antibiotics are usually very inexpensive with insurance, sometimes even without insurance. They are also commonly prescribed for other infections. I think some people have had bad experiences with antibiotics in regards to acne treatment because some physicians prescribe them for an extended period of time (a year or longer) which increases the likelihood you will experience adverse effects. I've also noticed many people on this community seem opposed to antibiotic treatment for acne. Granted, it's not necessarily a solution and it's not for everyone but it is a valid treatment for many people. Good luck to you, I hope your skin stays clear. =)

Im from the Netherlands, and it aint no discussion, our healthcare system is better :P haaha just kidding.

I can understand that some people have had bad experiences with antibiotics, and i really appreciate that they actually spend time warning others and giving advice, but i also think i have to tell people the good side of antibiotics, they are pretty effective, they help millions of people clear their acne, and they likehood of experiencing side effects is the same as all medicaments.

Good luck to you too, it's been a pleasure talking with you about the possitive side of antibiotics hahaha

PD: I think the best healthcare system is the one from spain (I have lived there for a couple years). Country breaking down but they make sure everybody has access to the best medicaments and best doctors haha

MemberMember
(@bestnews)

Posted : 05/05/2013 1:40 am

My doctor prescibed doxy for my rosacea acne around 2 years ago. My breakouts were pretty severe, forehead, cheaks and my scalp. We tried quite a few different medications without success before the doxycycline. Anyway 100 mgs once a day and the results were quick. We both agreed that we would only stay with the doxy for a short time. After around a year he had me slowly drop my dosage (every other day for 2 weeks and then twice a week to once a week) and finally stopping. My acne came back just like it was. It had been so long since I had a breakout that it hit me very hard. I called him up and made another appointment. He agreed to let me continue the doxy for 6 more months and in the mean time we would try some topicals and then gradually wean off the doxy again. About 3 weeks ago I had a pretty bad tooth infection. The dentist prescribed me amoxicillin. When I told him I was taking doxy he told me I had to stop taking it while I was taking the amoxicillin. I was so nervous to stop the doxy cold turkey and even googled taking the two medications together. Of course he was right and I couldn't do them both. So no more doxy and started the amoxicillin 500 mg 3 times a day for 10 days. Several days passed and no bumps or postules or anything. Then 10 days later my complexion was even better than it was while I was taking the doxy. I didn't have a single red dot on my face and nothing on my scalp. After I finally finished up the dental script of amoxicillin I took a 3 day break before starting back the doxycycline. On the 3rd day my acne started coming back. I hate having this acne stuff, it took 5 days to get my complexion clear again with the 100 mg doxy daily. I know all about the problems that can come with taking antibiotics long term and plan on switching over to something else in the near future. The doctor had me on metro gel when I weaned off the doxy but we agreed it didn't work. I am not sure why the antibiotics (doxy and amoxicillin) work so well for me and don't work for others and it amazes me that I can go from severe acne to not a one bump anywhere on my face or scalp after only 5 days on an antibiotic. I have gone 2 months without a single bump. Its a shame that my doctor hasn't found another medicine that works like this for me. I was looking through old photos of myself the other day and the acne I had was very bad and I didn't realize I had the acne rosacea so bad and for so many years, I think 10 -12 years straight. Now I have 2 years without any breakouts except when I stopped taking the antibiotics and I just couldn't handle it and begged the doctor to give me a little more time. I have high hopes to soon find the one that works for me so I can leave the antibiotics for good...

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 05/05/2013 2:47 am

how long were u on antibiotics for