Notifications
Clear all

Spironolactone Breakout With Increased Dosage

MemberMember
(@justsomeone212)

Posted : 04/12/2013 3:58 pm

Hey everyone! Spironolactone users- i'm just wondering whether any of you experience an increase in breakouts when you up your dosage? I recently had mine upped by 25 mgs (from 75 to 100) and am now breaking out in places I don't usually. I'm unsure whether this is a sign that I should go back to my regular dose, or whether I should stick it out.

Thanks in advance!

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 04/13/2013 12:05 pm

the same thing happened to me every single time my dosage was upped and when i went from 75 to 100mg and got a few new cysts in places i never get as well. i had them injected and then had my derm put me on keflex until my body adjusted to the new dose. i went back a little while ago and they want me to up my dose to 150mg but i havent done it only because i dont want any extra breakouts right now. my face is healing well and i have one small zit so i would rather just try to stick it out with this dose for a few more months and then up the dose then if i need to. i have 4 months in right now. how long have you been on it? things got better around the 3 month mark but i will say with being on 100mg it totally screwed up my period but its fine because i get it like every 45 days now instead of every 30. i will totally take that!

MemberMember
(@user143021)

Posted : 04/14/2013 11:13 am

That's strange, but it could just be a temporary upset from the increased dosage. Your body was used to 75mg for over 6 months, and now you changed it. Maybe that is how your body is reacting to the change.

IMO, one week after upping the dose isn't long enough to determine that 100mg will keep breaking you out. Unfortunately, hormones can take a while to adjust. I'm sorry you are dealing with that, though! That's no fun. I hope the breakout heals and you start clearing the rest of the way soon. (:

MemberMember
(@viasidd)

Posted : 05/07/2013 3:26 am

I'm having the same problem! I upped my dose from 75mg to 100mg and I'm breaking out super bad and it's been a month! I miss my skin! But I guess I have to keep waiting and see.

MemberMember
(@viasidd)

Posted : 05/09/2013 5:08 pm

the same thing happened to me every single time my dosage was upped and when i went from 75 to 100mg and got a few new cysts in places i never get as well. i had them injected and then had my derm put me on keflex until my body adjusted to the new dose. i went back a little while ago and they want me to up my dose to 150mg but i havent done it only because i dont want any extra breakouts right now. my face is healing well and i have one small zit so i would rather just try to stick it out with this dose for a few more months and then up the dose then if i need to. i have 4 months in right now. how long have you been on it? things got better around the 3 month mark but i will say with being on 100mg it totally screwed up my period but its fine because i get it like every 45 days now instead of every 30. i will totally take that!

Hey, I've been on it for 7 months and then all of a sudden I broke out! It's ridiculous! Because my skin looks horrible now

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 05/09/2013 7:12 pm

just saw your post. so what topical are you using now and what do you use for exfoliation? having a good regimen as well as the spiro will keep you clear but the spiro alone most likely wont do it.

MemberMember
(@viasidd)

Posted : 05/10/2013 11:46 am

just saw your post. so what topical are you using now and what do you use for exfoliation? having a good regimen as well as the spiro will keep you clear but the spiro alone most likely wont do it.

Right now I'm using BP 10% and Aprocot Exfoliator. But I think another problem as well is the makeup I"m using. Right now I have Mac Studio Fix powder, and several people told me thats a really bad brand for those with acne prone skin. I started using it a month ago, and now my skin is even more out of control.

My derm told me to increase to 125mg, but I think thats crazy, because it's only been 1 month of a transition from 75mg to 100mg. Should'nt I wait a bit longer? (About 2 months more to see better results?)

Thanks!

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 05/13/2013 9:24 am

it sounds like your regimem is ok. with the exfoliator stuff just be careful you arent over doing it. it can make things worse but yeah it could also be the makeup. i used mac products a few years ago and had no problems but i have heard it can really break some people out. i use bare minerals and i love it because it covers very well. i like that i can even sweat with it on and it still doesnt clog my pores. my derm said that mineral makeup is best because it kind of sits on the face instead of getting down into the pores like liquid makeup but then again i use dermablend concealer and have no issues with that either. if you have upped your spiro that could do it too everytime my dose was upped i broke out pretty bad. you can get some keflex from your derm and that will clear you right up. worked for me in 3 days.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 06/12/2013 11:56 pm

Right now I'm using BP 10% and Aprocot Exfoliator. But I think another problem as well is the makeup I"m using. Right now I have Mac Studio Fix powder, and several people told me thats a really bad brand for those with acne prone skin. I started using it a month ago, and now my skin is even more out of control.

My derm told me to increase to 125mg, but I think thats crazy, because it's only been 1 month of a transition from 75mg to 100mg. Should'nt I wait a bit longer? (About 2 months more to see better results?)

Thanks!

Your derm is really rushing it. It takes at least 4 months for you to know how your body responds to a particular dosage.

MemberMember
(@brenmc)

Posted : 09/18/2013 9:55 pm

I'm breaking out too, it's been ongoing for a few months. I had a few cysts so I upped my dose and bam- now I have tons. It could be a variety of things or unrelated because I lowered my dose again and my skin is still breaking out. Have any of you noticed an improvement or tried returning to your original dose and noticed improvement?

MemberMember
(@tiggy17)

Posted : 11/06/2013 8:03 pm

I'm having the same problem! My skin is horrible right now since upping my dose to 100mg. I was on spiro for 2 years along with yaz and then I stopped taking both in feb. My skin was so clear while taking both along with bactrim. My hormones are so whacked out now:( so I went back on 50mg in April. I cleared up a little but my face was flawless before so I upped it to 100mg in sept and now my face is so broken out in blackheads, whiteheads and cystic acne where I never ever used to break out!!! So I lowered my dose to 75mg a couple days ago. Also on 100mg I've had 3 periods in the month of October. I've tried biodentical hormones with no results. I tried chinese accupuncture and that didn't work either. So hopefully 75mg is my number. This is so upsetting and frustrating I miss my skin too. Anyone get clear on 75mg?

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 11/06/2013 10:25 pm

I'm having the same problem! My skin is horrible right now since upping my dose to 100mg. I was on spiro for 2 years along with yaz and then I stopped taking both in feb. My skin was so clear while taking both along with bactrim. My hormones are so whacked out now:( so I went back on 50mg in April. I cleared up a little but my face was flawless before so I upped it to 100mg in sept and now my face is so broken out in blackheads, whiteheads and cystic acne where I never ever used to break out!!! So I lowered my dose to 75mg a couple days ago. Also on 100mg I've had 3 periods in the month of October. I've tried biodentical hormones with no results. I tried chinese accupuncture and that didn't work either. So hopefully 75mg is my number. This is so upsetting and frustrating I miss my skin too. Anyone get clear on 75mg?

I have a "real life" friend who is on 75mg. She cleared on that before birth control.

When she got on the Mirena IUD, she was still taking spiro, but she was getting acne again (and weight gain).

She went off the Mirena and switched to Loestrin Fe birth control pills. Not a great choice for acne either. But combined with the spiro, her skin appears to be doing okay again.

MemberMember
(@melie87)

Posted : 05/07/2014 3:22 am

any new updates with the increased doses people?

I currently upped my does from 25 mg to 50 mg about 5 days ago, and I am experiencing what seems to be an IB. I was on 25 mg for about 6 months before upping the dose with out any kind of outbreak.

MemberMember
(@carpemomentum)

Posted : 05/14/2014 7:26 pm

Yes, I experienced a breakout when I added Yasmin, I started at 50mg, had an IB, added Yasmin had an IB. 3 months later added 25 mg and had a small breakout and then a week later clear ever since. Hope you have continued success!!

any new updates with the increased doses people?

I currently upped my does from 25 mg to 50 mg about 5 days ago, and I am experiencing what seems to be an IB. I was on 25 mg for about 6 months before upping the dose with out any kind of outbreak.

kirks liked
MemberMember
(@melie87)

Posted : 05/31/2014 4:40 am

My skin seemed to clear from the IB around the 14th, yet I am starting to break out again. I still have underneath pimples, and I am trying to pick them as I know I shouldn't. I am still on 50mg. I am on retin a micro as clindamycin, which I have been on for years on and off. Blah. :/ could this be a persisting IB as my hormones will take a while to adjust??

MemberMember
(@carpemomentum)

Posted : 06/05/2014 8:16 pm

Hey there Melie! How long have you been on Spiro? It took me 3 1/2 months to look good, stop the breaking out and mine was mild before I started, it became way worse. 4 months in radiant complexion, now 5 months and amazing results!! Stick w it, clarity came after 75mg w Yasmin. I weaned off antibiotics and all is good.

My skin seemed to clear from the IB around the 14th, yet I am starting to break out again. I still have underneath pimples, and I am trying to pick them as I know I shouldn't. I am still on 50mg. I am on retin a micro as clindamycin, which I have been on for years on and off. Blah. :/ could this be a persisting IB as my hormones will take a while to adjust??

MemberMember
(@melie87)

Posted : 06/07/2014 3:32 am

Hey there Melie! How long have you been on Spiro? It took me 3 1/2 months to look good, stop the breaking out and mine was mild before I started, it became way worse. 4 months in radiant complexion, now 5 months and amazing results!! Stick w it, clarity came after 75mg w Yasmin. I weaned off antibiotics and all is good.

I see you are on Doxy as well. That is an antibiotic, but you said you stopped?? Right now, I am STILL breaking out. New zits keep appearing, and I am DILIGENT about my routine, but it seems it is taking my hormones a while to balance out. My period is also late, and I do not take BC just 50mg of spiro that started in May, from 25 mg prior in Nov. I am slowly upping the dose. I know I need to be patient but this is so damn annoying, even though I am prepared for this to happen, I have done EVERYTHING except accutane. Thank you for your response!

MemberMember
(@carpemomentum)

Posted : 06/07/2014 6:19 am

Hey there! Yeah my signature is not updated, I'm not on doxy anymore thank goodness. And Yes you have been more than patient!! Well my only thoughts are that you prob are not taking enough. I'm at 100mg and my endo wanted to give me 200. I only decreased my oil production once I made it to 100 then 2 weeks later I was good. I only get teeny clogged pores every now and then and they are gone in a day. I also started weekly peels about 2 months ago and that was a life saver. I highly recommend makeup artists choice salicylic and mandelic. Especially if you have new breakouts. Did your dr say why he won't go higher yet? If be your own advocate and ask for more, I had to and can't imagine how long is wait if not. Wishing you the best!!!

quote name="Melie87" post="3435196" timestamp="1402129941"]

I see you are on Doxy as well. That is an antibiotic, but you said you stopped?? Right now, I am STILL breaking out. New zits keep appearing, and I am DILIGENT about my routine, but it seems it is taking my hormones a while to balance out. My period is also late, and I do not take BC just 50mg of spiro that started in May, from 25 mg prior in Nov. I am slowly upping the dose. I know I need to be patient but this is so damn annoying, even though I am prepared for this to happen, I have done EVERYTHING except accutane. Thank you for your response!

MemberMember
(@melie87)

Posted : 06/07/2014 10:22 pm

Hey there! Yeah my signature is not updated, I'm not on doxy anymore thank goodness. And Yes you have been more than patient!! Well my only thoughts are that you prob are not taking enough. I'm at 100mg and my endo wanted to give me 200. I only decreased my oil production once I made it to 100 then 2 weeks later I was good. I only get teeny clogged pores every now and then and they are gone in a day. I also started weekly peels about 2 months ago and that was a life saver. I highly recommend makeup artists choice salicylic and mandelic. Especially if you have new breakouts. Did your dr say why he won't go higher yet? If be your own advocate and ask for more, I had to and can't imagine how long is wait if not. Wishing you the best!!!

quote name="Melie87" post="3435196" timestamp="1402129941"]

MemberMember
(@brenmc)

Posted : 06/10/2014 9:21 am

I didn't notice results until I went up to 100mg, so I think it's a good dosage for many people.

MemberMember
(@melie87)

Posted : 06/16/2014 8:18 pm

I didn't notice results until I went up to 100mg, so I think it's a good dosage for many people.

Hey, I ended up going back down to 50mg cause I was breaking out super bad, and have an important event this weekend, so I hope it dies down. I understand the IB but I don't have time for it go on for a few weeks cause it might. I am breaking out on my chest again and cheek, its really lame. I am sticking with the 50mg for another month, then see where to go from there, if condition improve (hopefully). I will go up to 100mg once I see an improvement in my skin and my hormones settle down. Thank you for you response, are you clear on 100mg?

MemberMember
(@brenmc)

Posted : 06/17/2014 12:27 pm

That's probably a good idea. I was clear on it for several years; however, I have acne again due to issues with insulin (which requires another medication).

MemberMember
(@valerie44)

Posted : 07/13/2014 6:17 pm

I have a derm appointment in October and he already told me he wants me to go to 100 mgs but if I'm clear on the 50 mgs why bother going up? Not sure what to do

MemberMember
(@melie87)

Posted : 07/25/2014 2:01 am

Hey ladies,

I have decided to contiune on 25mg of spironolactone even tho I have had a really bad initial break out that laststed all last month and THIS month. I went from 25 mg to 100mg to 50 mg in the span of 4 weeks and it really messed me up! I currently have small little red acne marks ALL over my cheeks, it is horrible so depressing. I am starting acctaune the end of August. I am SO fed up with this crap. You name it I've done it, and I am sick of having bad skin and being so healthy, grrrrr. I will let you guys know how my skin is doing still on 25mg, I do not want to give up right just yet. I was very close to stopping tomorrow, but I want to wait and see if my hormones stabalize. I will update in a week. Good luck you guys. xoxo

If I do not see improvment in a week, I am stopping spiro, and waiting to take accutane. I cannot wait to blog about that. I have waited 10 years!! I am so mentally and physically prepapred for accutane!

MemberMember
(@melie87)

Posted : 07/25/2014 2:35 am

For some reason I cannot edit my previous post. I wanted to add that I went back down from 50mg to 25mg beacuse I had a really bad intial break out that lasted a month, and I am trying to stabalize my hormones once again on 25mg when my skin was doing good.*