Notifications
Clear all

Best Vitamin B Complex?

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 04/12/2013 1:14 pm

Does anyone have recommendations for a good B-complex that is easily absorbed? I recently found out I am anemic and have low progesterone, and I read that vitamin B12 and B6 can help the issue. I figured taking them both in a B-complex would be easier and more affordable. The problem is, most b-complex supplements contain other stuff too that I might not need.... Any recommendations for a good brand? Usually I go with solgar, but I heard that Vitamin Code is good too because it contains raw food sources of b vitamins.

Also, will the B12 or B6 break me out more?

MemberMember
(@heyybrighteyes)

Posted : 04/12/2013 1:35 pm

hey girly! just read a couple of your recent posts.

i'm sorry things arent looking up for you :((

i actually just got some b vitamins yesterday from target

this is the exact one i got: https://www.amazon.com/Nature-Made-Stress-Complex-Tablets/dp/B005DXM34A/

not sure how easily absorbed it is or anything.. but i got it cause i'm not currently eating any meat

ive been following a low glycemic/ partially raw food diet

and regardles of my skin.. ive been feeling really good physically.

but i think it also has to do with "symplex f" i take it with every meal and i just feel alive. i dont want to recommend it, maybe you should ask your doctor if youre interested. but it helps with pcos by supporting vital organs, and it has just boosted my energy.

i really do recommend trying to stick to raw foods.. my skin feels softer.. and my eyes are even changing color :o which is crazy to me lol

theyre getting lighter, and i have dark brown eyes. not super dark, but i notice them getting lighter, its kinda neat

and i dont know if its just placebo but i just feel... healthier and stronger.

im losing too much weight though so i went out and bought soy milk and walnuts for fat lol

and i need to work out cause i never do :X

but yeah i only wanna recommend eating raw.. because we already know that things that work for me, dont necessarily work for you the same way

but i dont think you can go wrong with raw food.. my skin isn't perfect yet :( lol but its more manageable. somehow..

MemberMember
(@abg-fairy)

Posted : 04/12/2013 5:57 pm

It's best to always avoid synthetic vitamins, so I would go with Vitamin Code's B-Complex. That's the one I take! :)

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 04/13/2013 1:26 am

i derma had prescribed me zevit(which has vit b complex + c + zinc sulphate) all of which are said to be positive for acne/oily skin.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 04/13/2013 1:17 pm

On 4/13/2013 at 12:35 AM, heyybrighteyes said:

hey girly! just read a couple of your recent posts.

i'm sorry things arent looking up for you sad.png(

i actually just got some b vitamins yesterday from target

this is the exact one i got: https://www.amazon.com/Nature-Made-Stress-Complex-Tablets/dp/B005DXM34A/

not sure how easily absorbed it is or anything.. but i got it cause i'm not currently eating any meat

ive been following a low glycemic/ partially raw food diet

and regardles of my skin.. ive been feeling really good physically.

but i think it also has to do with "symplex f" i take it with every meal and i just feel alive. i dont want to recommend it, maybe you should ask your doctor if youre interested. but it helps with pcos by supporting vital organs, and it has just boosted my energy.

i really do recommend trying to stick to raw foods.. my skin feels softer.. and my eyes are even changing color gasp.gif which is crazy to me lol

theyre getting lighter, and i have dark brown eyes. not super dark, but i notice them getting lighter, its kinda neat

and i dont know if its just placebo but i just feel... healthier and stronger.

im losing too much weight though so i went out and bought soy milk and walnuts for fat lol

and i need to work out cause i never do sick.gif

but yeah i only wanna recommend eating raw.. because we already know that things that work for me, dont necessarily work for you the same way

but i dont think you can go wrong with raw food.. my skin isn't perfect yet sad.png lol but its more manageable. somehow..

hi dear! Glad you are feeling healthier and stronger! Sounds like your diet and supplements are working for you, hopefully you found the right combo shifty.gif It's so weird that your eyes are changing color, wow! That's a cool side effect haha. Symplex f sounds awesome, I'll ask the endocrinologist about it. I was referred to someone who specializes in bio identical hormone treatment, which sounds more agreeable than synthetic hormones and birth control. I'll start with a natural, yam-derived progesterone cream and see how that works before moving on to bio-hormones. I'm soooo glad I didn't take any of the pills they wanted to give me (e.g. spiro, birth control) because those can make low progesterone even worse! Sometimes doctors' apathy amazes me - they sound so confident about "magic pills" and then they don't like to admit they were wrong! crazy.gif

I'm trying to stick to a mostly raw foods diet too.....it's hard! I love walnuts, but they are so expensive, so I usually end up buying almonds instead. But walnuts are far better nutritionally. Are the b vitamins working for you? I read that b6 and b12 can cause acne, but I think it depends on the person. Hopefully they'll work for us! People say soy causes allergies, but for me I don't think I have that issue, especially with unsweetened soy milk.

On 4/13/2013 at 4:57 AM, *`*~ABG Fairy~*`* said:

It's best to always avoid synthetic vitamins, so I would go with Vitamin Code's B-Complex. That's the one I take! smile.png

Thanks for the recommendation! That looks good, the only thing I wasn't sure about in the ingredients is the yeast...is that safe, if I suspect I have leaky gut/ candida? Also, what do you think of megafoods' b-complex? It's derived from raw foods for greater absorption, like vitamin code.

On 4/13/2013 at 12:26 PM, aanabill said:

i derma had prescribed me zevit(which has vit b complex + c + zinc sulphate) all of which are said to be positive for acne/oily skin.

I heard of zevit...is it working for you? My derm wouldn't prescribe it to me because she was convinced my acne was "just" hormonal, and recommended birth control. sheesh!

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 04/13/2013 1:30 pm

hey!

i would like it think it is.

it might be other factors too.for example azithromycin(i had a small course of it) or eating healthy etc.

i'm better now.(its been about 40 days of zevit plus 2 mnths a eating healthy)

when i say healthy i mean balanced diet.

i eat white rice,wheat too.but i also eat good foods that suppose to help.

no dairy(excpt occassional yoghurt for testing.dnt think it has any effect on me).low sugar.(i dnt like sweet dishes anyway..just in curries etc)

u can check few of my blog post and see if it helps.

i had 2 zitsz(out of two bumps last mnth around period.i suppose it was hormonal)

lets check this mnth.

if u have any specific questions.u can ask me.

i can send u links.

luck,

aana

also,u can do the saliva test to check for internal fungal infection?

MemberMember
(@bsider)

Posted : 04/13/2013 7:05 pm

I'm currently taking Thorne Research, B-Complex #12. Dr. Hyman posted an article in the Huffington Post about boosting glutathione levels. In it he recommends:

Take folate (especially in the active form of 5 methyltetrahydrofolate), B6 (in active form of P5P) and B12 (in the active form of methylcobalamin).

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 04/14/2013 9:35 pm

thanks for the suggestions! Right now, I'm taking the megafood b complex one because that was the only raw food-based supplement my local health store had. I will need to look into the other ones once I ran out. My problem usually with concentrated vitamins and minerals (as opposed to multivitamins) is that they break me out in places I don't normally break out. For instance, when I started taking zinc and vitamin D3, I got small inflammed zits on my upper cheeks (I normally get them on my lower cheeks), so I stopped. Now once again, I am getting those zits....could it be an initial breakout from the b-complex? I am always careful to avoid too many capsule fillers in the ingredients, and yet even with brands that do not add all the fillers and preservatives, I break out! Anyone else have this issue?

MemberMember
(@heyybrighteyes)

Posted : 04/16/2013 12:46 am

i started breaking out immediately from the b-complex pills! ugh lol

i stopped taking them already and hopefully ill be able to return them.

now i have all these brand new pimples to get rid of ! yay! haha

i want to give up and just go on birth control lol

but i wont.

why does acne even exist? its just torture and annoying.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 04/18/2013 9:45 pm

i started breaking out immediately from the b-complex pills! ugh lol

i stopped taking them already and hopefully ill be able to return them.

now i have all these brand new pimples to get rid of ! yay! haha

i want to give up and just go on birth control lol

but i wont.

why does acne even exist? its just torture and annoying.

Oh no...a lot of people break out from b-complex, mostly due to B6 or B12. I used to take an iron & b12 supplement and it broke me out in the same places I broke out when I started taking the b-complex, so I think it must be the b12 for me. I hate it when most b-complex have really high doses of b12, compared to all the other b vitamins. I don't need that much!

The good news is that the initial breakout has subsided, and I have been feeling a bit healthier since I started taking it. I don't think I have a choice, since I am anemic, that's why I kept taking it but if you don't have b deficiencies then it's not worth it. You can just get those vitamins at lower doses from food.

Btw, I highly suggest checking out your hormones....I was resisting doing that because it costs a lot, but ultimately I'm glad I did otherwise I would have never suspected that progesterone was the root of my acne issues. I always tried to target the more common causes, like estrogen and androgens. I've experienced the long term impact of birth control, and it's def not worth it. My acne was never as bad before I got on birth control, and now I wish I hadn't blindly trusted doctors who wanted to just mask the issue with the wrong hormones rather than get to the root. And, needless to say, I'm glad I did not follow my last doctor's advice about going on spironolactone because, as she also admitted, that would have made my imbalance worse. Most doctors, especially in the US, have NO CLUE how to treat the complexities of PCOS.

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 04/19/2013 12:01 pm

It's best to always avoid synthetic vitamins, so I would go with Vitamin Code's B-Complex. That's the one I take! smile.png

Totally agree

MemberMember
(@nodoubt147)

Posted : 04/20/2013 4:24 am

I've worked in one of the best vitamin stores in Sacramento for 5 years. Hands down Jarrow's B-Right. It's a low dose but very bio-available. It's B-5 comes in the more active P-5P for, and it's B-12 is methylated. Don't waste your money on companies that try and take short cuts because they know the general public doesn't know the difference.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 04/30/2013 11:53 pm

thanks for the suggestions, so many to choose from! I did experience an initial breakout from the b-complex, but my energy has improved so I'm sticking with it. I don't think I need that high a percentage of B12 and B6, though, but all b complexes I looked at have a higher % of B6 and B12 than B 5. I would rather get a higher % of B5 than the other Bs. Would you recommend taking an additional B5 supplement with the b-complex to hopefully counteract the breakouts from the b12 and b6?

MemberMember
(@and1)

Posted : 09/05/2013 4:03 am

definitely not b-right, threw it away. i'd recommend either thorne, pure or metabolic maintenance

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 09/05/2013 4:55 pm

Thanks...to update this thread: after trying several b-complexes, including some of the ones you guys suggested, I came to the conclusion that it's best for me to avoid b-complexes because they all break me out in the same spots. I suspect it's the high % of B12, which I got tested for and I'm not deficient so b-complexes are giving me way more B12 than I need. The most balanced b-complex I have come across that you may want to consider is Solgar's B-complex Stress Formula with Vitamin C.

MemberMember
(@and1)

Posted : 09/13/2013 9:05 pm

High B12 seems to break me out too.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 09/14/2013 4:45 pm

Even eating eggs regularly doesn't help my skin, probably because of the high % of B12 in them or the histamine triggers. I still have no idea why b-complexes have such high % of B12 compared to all the other Bs. The most helpful Bs for acne prone skin are: B5 (pantothenic acid), B3 (niacin), and inositol (although now it's not typically considered part of the b-complex). If you can find a b-complex which emphasizes these Bs, then you will most likely benefit from it. I'm trying to get my Bs from food, and I take inositol powder separately because it's hard to get from food.

MemberMember
(@and1)

Posted : 09/15/2013 2:42 am

With me it is different. I eat up to 15 eggs daily and they are good for my digestion and my skin, but the B Complexes I have taken have like 400 mcg which equals 16000 % of the RDD according to European Standards.

MemberMember
(@brenmc)

Posted : 09/18/2013 6:38 pm

WishClean, did the bcomplex help your acne/progesterone?

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 09/18/2013 9:41 pm

WishClean, did the bcomplex help your acne/progesterone?

I couldn't find a b-complex that didn't break me out because they all contained a very high % of B12 (which I got tested for, and am not deficient) compared to the other vitamins. So if I ever need to supplement some B vitamins, I'll just take separate supplements or get the nutrients from food. I discovered that the B vitamin that I need the most is inositol B8 (which is actually more of a prohormone, like vitamin D) is not included in most B complexes, so now I just take inositol powder twice a day, 1/4 teaspoon each time and it seems to help so far. It's too early to tell, and I started with a lower dosage to see how my body reacts.