Notifications
Clear all

Why Do I Have Acne? And What Should I Do? (Lots Of Info)

MemberMember
(@jekester)

Posted : 04/08/2013 10:20 pm

This is going to be a fairly detailed post so anyone who really knows what they're talking about, please post.

I only developed noticable acne around halfway through my age of 17. I am currently 18, so I've only had acne for about 7 months.

My diet beforehand and for most of my younger life was bad, mainly consisting of junk food like Mcdonalds every week, junk food and meat every now and then and mostly bread etc and soft drink, I did sometimes have vegetables (sometimes.) I used to get a pimple once every month or so, and I'd use clearasil and it'd go in about a day.

When I started to get annoyed with my acne in the later half of 2012, I used a BP cream for about 2 or 3 weeks max and it did help, but I read things online about cancer etc so I stopped, and I broke out a bit. About October in 2012 (when I started to get really upset about my acne.) I went on Ray's diet which was basically an extremely healthy diet and I ate 100% D/A of most vitamins THROUGH food. So I calculated everything. I drank water and cut out Sugar, soft drinks, junk food. So I mainly had vegetables, fish, fruit (apples/strawberries) and meat like chicken or beef and I took kefir with flaxseed oil, borage oil and another oil but i forget. It was an incredibly healthy diet in my opinon.

I was on that diet for 2 months and a bit, and at one point it was healing, but then it got worse. So I quit. And for a week until I was about to see a nutritionist I went back to junk food, ate a pizza and continued to get worse.

I saw a nutritionist, and I have:

1. Cut out all food intolerances from the blood test since January 2013.

2. No sugar/dairy and soy and gluten.

3. Drink 2L of water every day.

4. Eat lots of protein and vegetables.

At one point in january this year I got fed up again and used a BP cream for about 2 weeks and it started to clear them up a bit, and it started to really peel and get dry, but again I stopped due to the fear something bad may happen and that eventually it will prolong my acne

My diet basically consists of these foods during the week SINCE middle of Febuary, so since the middle of febuary I have been eating only the following and still:

Main foods I'd eat in a week:

Beef mince meat(no added hormones)

Eggs ( I add 2 teaspoons of Chia seeds to it)

Lamb

Pork

Beef

Pork mince meat

Fresh Salmon (no added salt)

Baby Spinach

Carrot

Broccoli

Cauliflower

Coconut water (straight from a coconut)

Foods sometimes/every now and then:

Turkey legs (skin cut off them)

Onions

Ice berg lettuce

2L of filtered water everyday. None of these foods have any flavors or what not added, I make sure it's just pure food.

I take supplements as well, if you want the ingredients or think it would help I'll reply back.

Alpha lipoic acid 3x day, 30 min before food

Fermented cod liver oil 3x day 30 min before food

Vit.B complex before morning (stopped this a few weeks ago because it had biotin in it?)

Ultra flora dysbios x1 after dinner 1 hour

Vitamin C (powder) 2 teaspoons added into 600 ml of water, and drink before 5pm to give me energy

Magopti x1 teaspoon before bed (helps for sleep)

Proxan x1 1 hour before breakfast. helps with my mood

All of these things contain natural products, as my nutritionist said..

I have a lot of protein from my meats and vegetables with every meal.

MemberMember
(@jekester)

Posted : 04/12/2013 9:30 pm

bump..

MemberMember
(@jjn)

Posted : 04/13/2013 3:29 pm

First of all, any reputable doctor or dermotologist will tell you that there is absolutely NO definitive link between acne and an "unhealthy" diet. I know someone is going to try to throw that study about milk and acne at me. I'll say the same thing I say every time: show me multiple studies from multiple reputable medical institutions that link diet and acne definitely. No one can because there is no link. I still would encourage you to eat healthy for other reasons that have nothing to do with acne.

What is acne? It is basically an infammatory response to an infection in your pores. Your pores get clogged with sebeum and bacteria multiples in the pore and bingo you got an infection. Well how do you usually fight an infection? Antibiotics. Schedule an appointment with a derm and get yourself on antibiotics now. Doxycycline has worked well for me but you may need to try several different ones.

The antibiotics will take care of the problem deep in the skin. You also have to treat the problem on the surface of the skin which is the clogged pores. I think you should continue using BP which is an exfoliaiting agent and unclogs pores. If your skin can't handle it, use very small amounts initially (like 3-5 pea sized amounts for your entire face) and gradually build up tolerance. You mentions BP and cancer. There is no link here either.

The last step is to stop irritation of your skin. Irritation can further clog pores and make your acne worse. Go watch Dan's youtude videos on how to properly wash your face and put on topical.

If you skin is like mine, you will need to attack the problem of acne using multiple different methods.

MemberMember
(@bookend)

Posted : 04/13/2013 4:32 pm

Eating healthy will make you healthier, which definitely won't hurt your skin. But yeah, you should try getting a derm and antibiotics, or trying The Regimen. Only changing the way you eat is not going to help. Acne isn't about food and cleanliness as much as its about hormones and genetics. I'm kind of regretting not going on The Regimen before I went to my doctor. Now I'm stuck on a constant cycle of antibiotics. Currently on doxy.

MemberMember
(@nikki1586)

Posted : 04/14/2013 8:51 pm

This is going to be a fairly detailed post so anyone who really knows what they're talking about, please post.

I only developed noticable acne around halfway through my age of 17. I am currently 18, so I've only had acne for about 7 months.

My diet beforehand and for most of my younger life was bad, mainly consisting of junk food like Mcdonalds every week, junk food and meat every now and then and mostly bread etc and soft drink, I did sometimes have vegetables (sometimes.) I used to get a pimple once every month or so, and I'd use clearasil and it'd go in about a day.

When I started to get annoyed with my acne in the later half of 2012, I used a BP cream for about 2 or 3 weeks max and it did help, but I read things online about cancer etc so I stopped, and I broke out a bit. About October in 2012 (when I started to get really upset about my acne.) I went on Ray's diet which was basically an extremely healthy diet and I ate 100% D/A of most vitamins THROUGH food. So I calculated everything. I drank water and cut out Sugar, soft drinks, junk food. So I mainly had vegetables, fish, fruit (apples/strawberries) and meat like chicken or beef and I took kefir with flaxseed oil, borage oil and another oil but i forget. It was an incredibly healthy diet in my opinon.

I was on that diet for 2 months and a bit, and at one point it was healing, but then it got worse. So I quit. And for a week until I was about to see a nutritionist I went back to junk food, ate a pizza and continued to get worse.

I saw a nutritionist, and I have:

1. Cut out all food intolerances from the blood test since January 2013.

2. No sugar/dairy and soy and gluten.

3. Drink 2L of water every day.

4. Eat lots of protein and vegetables.

At one point in january this year I got fed up again and used a BP cream for about 2 weeks and it started to clear them up a bit, and it started to really peel and get dry, but again I stopped due to the fear something bad may happen and that eventually it will prolong my acne

My diet basically consists of these foods during the week SINCE middle of Febuary, so since the middle of febuary I have been eating only the following and still:

Main foods I'd eat in a week:

Beef mince meat(no added hormones)

Eggs ( I add 2 teaspoons of Chia seeds to it)

Lamb

Pork

Beef

Pork mince meat

Fresh Salmon (no added salt)

Baby Spinach

Carrot

Broccoli

Cauliflower

Coconut water (straight from a coconut)

Foods sometimes/every now and then:

Turkey legs (skin cut off them)

Onions

Ice berg lettuce

2L of filtered water everyday. None of these foods have any flavors or what not added, I make sure it's just pure food.

I take supplements as well, if you want the ingredients or think it would help I'll reply back.

Alpha lipoic acid 3x day, 30 min before food

Fermented cod liver oil 3x day 30 min before food

Vit.B complex before morning (stopped this a few weeks ago because it had biotin in it?)

Ultra flora dysbios x1 after dinner 1 hour

Vitamin C (powder) 2 teaspoons added into 600 ml of water, and drink before 5pm to give me energy

Magopti x1 teaspoon before bed (helps for sleep)

Proxan x1 1 hour before breakfast. helps with my mood

All of these things contain natural products, as my nutritionist said..

I have a lot of protein from my meats and vegetables with every meal.

So I've been eating like that for about 2 months and a bit now probably. With not much result. Though at one point they were clearing, and again, it stopped and got worse. At the moment it's not really getting worse or getting better, I am still getting one pimple every now and then and the others seem to be just there.

My sleep whilst on the diet back in 2012 was good. Bed at 10, wake up at 8.

To note, I have depression and anxiety and I do get stressed out very easily and tend to worry. This has always been a bit of a problem. So I do have emotional stress due to anxiety. I am working on it.

Recently I usually go to bed at 10:30 and wake up at 9:30. But sometimes I'd stay up to 11:30 or latest, 12. So that's my sleep pattern.

I've been doing a coconut oil cleanse in my mouth every morning for 20 minutes for about a month ( Virgin, coldpressed, unrefined and organic.)

I go for a 20 -30 min walk every night since last december.

Only thing that has probably changed since I was 16 and lower and had no acne, is that 1. I do not go out as often, I basically stay inside a lot and don't do much. The past 5 months I've just been at home, and only going out maybe once or something to like a shop a week. Excluding walking outside every night and going to my girlfriends house. But you get the drift. I go outside not so much, maybe 5 - 10 minutes a day. Or sometimes/most not at all. My vitamin. D levels have been checked and they're good.

So that's that. As for my hormones, it has been shown that my Testosterone is VERY low, a 1.1 when a good about is like 12. something. A long with my LH (not sure what hormone that is.) and I am seeing an endocronoligist about that, but apparantly testosterone therapy can make acne worse. So I don't know.

As for what I use on my face. I use Avene cleanser soapless gel. 2 times every day, usually in mid day and then at night before bed. I'm trying to be more gentle whilst I do it. And I have no idea if it's causing my acne to be worse. I use to use it around october 2012, but I stopped it in fear of it making it worse, I can't remember what happened to my skin. But I've been using it again for at least a month or 2.

My acne is mainly on the cheeks, chin and some on the jawline. My nose has a few black heads and my forehead has very tiny red pimples like it's blocked and it feels rough. My chest has no real acne, just tiny bumps and it's only in a small area. My jawline has only a few. I will post photos. My acne feels itchy every now and then most days, and if I were to pop a pimple, yellow stuff would come out, and usually most of my pimples have dry skin around it, not all, but some.

Note: I haven't shaved for a few months, because when I shaved on my chin I got irritation and it looked worse. Also, so I knew shaving wasn't hurting it.

If you have any questions on anything else I do, or what I eat or any tests I have done/haven't please please PLEASE ask if it would help you give an opinion.

I just want to know why I have acne and what I should do to clear it?? please help

sorry for the unattractive acne pics but can you look at all of them to get an idea?

attachicon.gifrsz_1rsz_photo_1.jpg

attachicon.gifrsz_photo_2.jpg

attachicon.gifrsz_photo_4.jpg

attachicon.gifrsz_1rsz_photo_5.jpg

Hi HI- I think what you are doing is great for your diet and health- and I seriously encourage you to keep up the good work! I recently started a new diet regimen about 2 months ago, i was doing beautifully in the beginning, then broke out here and there, and then last Sunday I broke out SOOO bad all over my chin, jawline, etc. Anyway.... I started seeing a Nutritionist/Chiropractor (he specializes in Nutrition Response Testing) in February 2013 and he explained to me that it took your body 26 years (I am 26) to "get this way" so it will take a while to actually heal from the inside-out......We are all exposed to toxins from pestisides in our foods...to chemicals in medications.... our body needs to detox these chemicals...which takes time.. Being that YOU are young, your body has the advantage to heal...very soon, it will take time. Time heals all wounds... You have to encourage yourself not to give up (which is what I telll myself everyday, despite the continuous acne breakouts).