The Regimen And Nic...

Notifications
Clear all

The Regimen And Nice Clothing

MemberMember
(@slimliest)

Posted : 04/08/2013 8:44 pm

Hey gals and guys,

I am a male and have had problems with mild to moderate acne since puberty (now 29). I have tried most over the counter and all treatments that the dermatologist has to offer (including accutane), but have never had clear skin. I am somewhat eager to try the regimen but I have one big reservation.

My job requires me to wear nice clothes everyday. As such, I have acquired some rather expensive shirts, ties, suits, and jackets over the years. I really cant afford to ruin any of these clothes by having benzoyl peroxide bleach them. In my previous experiences using bp acne treatments (although not in this way with large amounts of low % bp) I have found that the shoulders of my shirts and pillow cases get bleached. I dont mind the pillow cases, but I cant afford to be bleaching out the shoulders of my nice shirts and suits. Is there anything that can be done to prevent this?

Could it be effective with applying the bp only in the evening? I have never used 2.5% bp, only 5% or higher. Perhaps the lower % will make a difference. Keep in mind that my acne is moderate to mild. I do not get that many zits at once anymore (perhaps 4-5), but they do tend to be large and inflamed. I want good clear skin and am willing to pay for a good treatment, but cant afford to replace my work clothes.

Thanks

MemberMember
(@ayeaye)

Posted : 04/08/2013 9:56 pm

Ah yes, bleaching clothes is certainly a problem with BP.

If you're applying BP to your neck and shoulders than BP will most likely bleach your clothing, especially if you sweat. Are you able to wear a vest underneath?

I applied BP to my face and so long as I put my clothes on once it was dry, I never had a bleaching problem, but certainly all my exercise t-shirts are bleached around the neck which I put down to sweat causing the BP to run down onto my clothes.

Apart from wearing a vest or just applying BP at night only i'm not sure what else to suggest. I apply BP only at night but I only started to do that once I got completely clear, but there are a few people here who have applied BP only at night with some success.

Oh, and 2.5% still bleaches clothes.

MemberMember
(@slimliest)

Posted : 04/09/2013 4:54 pm

Thanks for your insight. I was not talking about it bleaching from being applied to my shoulders so wearing a vest wont help. I only apply to my face and upper neck. I also live in the southeast where it is hot and steamy so that does cause some sweating in the summer which ruins shirts collars. Also, I inevitable touch some of my clothing to my face during the day by holding the phone to my head with a hand or shoulder, or when looking over a shoulder, or something. At any rate, when I used BP before I would end up getting bleached collars and little bleached spots on my shoulders.

I may try just applying at night and see if that works, although I fear it will be slow results.

I wonder what ole Dan does for this problem? He certainly has to wear some shirts and suits. Does he or any other male on here ever experience bleaching problems with dress clothes?

MemberMember
(@brf7)

Posted : 04/09/2013 6:29 pm

Dont apply it to your neck if you do end up getting The Regimen. I have shirts that are bleached around the neck (about 3 or 4). I stopped using on my neck though because I didn't get acne there anymore, and so far I haven't bleached any clothes yet. Sometimes I even pull sweatshirts over my head because I forget to put them on before I apply BP, but they never got bleached. But I say go for it, just be careful where you apply it. I'm assuming since you wear a suit that you're not going to sweat at work, so you should be good as long as you keep the BP centered on your face only. The Regimen has been a great experience for me. No acne and only 3 months into it. Go for it dude.

MemberMember
(@mythos)

Posted : 04/10/2013 1:31 pm

Haha I know that feel. I learned the hard way. I bleached the shit out of 3 of my t-shirts (and I was only using 2.5%).

If the BP is just on your face, then don't worry about it. I had some neck acne to deal with and that's where the bleaching came from.