Notifications
Clear all

Is This An Initial Breakout Or Allergic Reaction?

MemberMember
(@bspencer10)

Posted : 04/08/2013 5:56 pm

I really want to simplify my facial regimen, so the other day I picked up some Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash (also the body wash) and decided to just use these and my Cerave Moisturizer. A few days later I had developed a bunch of small whiteheads on my chin and upper lip, and my skin looked bumpy near my nose. It was really awful. I also got some small whiteheads on my chest and some of them didn't even develop into whiteheads... Just red bumps. Now I've switched back to my Cerave Cleanser, I'm using Witch Hazel as a toner, and then I just moisturize with the Cerave Moisturizer. I'm thinking this was a bad reaction to the Neutrogena, but could it have just been an initial breakout? I didn't think Salicylic Acid really caused those, but you never know I guess. My skin has been pretty oily lately as well, so I'm not sure if it is just trying to recover from the Neutrogena or what. Any opinions on this? Thanks guys.

MemberMember
(@a-p)

Posted : 04/08/2013 7:23 pm

Salicylic acid does cause an initial breakout. That face wash and body wash might be too drying. If a face wash is too drying it will cause your pores to contract. Then your pores will have a hard time expelling all the sebum and debris. That will cause major clogged pores.

The salicylic acid could of caused you to breakout. I've found that my skin can't tolerate the use of SA everyday so I only use it once or twice a week. Just use the body wash and face wash once or twice a week. Then that way it wouldn't be a total waste of money and won't irritate your skin.