Notifications
Clear all

Impact Of Scarring

MemberMember
(@miss-soloist)

Posted : 04/08/2013 2:20 pm

Hi,

Does anyone have any advice about dealing with the emotional impact of having acne scars for the first time?

Prior to my outbreak last year I never had any real acne scarring but now it is very noticable. I keep having nightmares and every morning when I wake up for a second I forget they're there and it's like I'm ok again, but then I realise I have scarring. The skin looks weird and I can feel where all the collagen has been broken etc.

It's really hurting me so badly inside and making me so depressed.

Don't know what to do...

MemberMember
(@ughhhhh)

Posted : 04/08/2013 2:35 pm

Yes I know exactly how you feel. A year ago, my skin looked pretty good, had no real complaints though I had pimples (pregnant).

Now, my face is just fucked. I dont even understand what is happening to my skin because I feel like my scars just get worse everyday. Everything I've done to treat

my face has made it worse in the long run even if the acne is going away. My dermatologist ruined my face with his injections, and I actually feel like I have scar tissue spreading underneath the skin stretching it and making me look like a burn victim. I just got married less than two years ago and felt the most beautiful I have ever in my life, and now I feel the definition of ugly, like I don't even look like a normal person anymore. I'm afraid to go get my hair cut because I don't want anyone looking at my face or pulling my hair back. I don't know how to move on from this.

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 04/08/2013 2:42 pm

i can so feel your pain i never really had any scarring until may of last year. it devasted me beyond belief to the point that i could barely eat and my stomach was always in knots. it was like everyday was a nightmare and waking up and looking in the mirror was the worst thing ever. i never cried so much in my life than i did in those 3 months it was awful! after that ordeal i had appointments scheduled to try and fix the scarring on my chin area but i ended up getting dermatitis and then bad cystic acne so after that i am seeing my scars in a different light. i hate them but after having the bad cystic acne i can deal with the scars a lot better. time does make it easier thats for sure but i did go through denial for a while. its hard to accept and there is no easy way to get through it but for me what helped was having an amazing husband and working out as well as lots of prayers. keep your chin up it will get better.

ughhhhh i can feel your pain i didnt get my haircut for almost 6 months as well as i didnt go to the dentist for a long time too because i was so worried about people seeing my scars but the more i go out an do things i notice that other people have scars too. also people dont notice your scars as much as you do so while you think its so obvious many other people wont even notice them at all.

MemberMember
(@alexanderj86)

Posted : 04/08/2013 4:05 pm

also people dont notice your scars as much as you do so while you think its so obvious many other people wont even notice them at all.

MemberMember
(@ryu87)

Posted : 04/08/2013 4:22 pm

i had appointments scheduled to try and fix the scarring on my chin area but i ended up getting dermatitis and then bad cystic acne so after that i am seeing my scars in a different light. i hate them but after having the bad cystic acne i can deal with the scars a lot better. time does make it easier thats for sure but i did go through denial for a while. its hard to accept and there is no easy way to get through it but for me what helped was having an amazing husband and working out as well as lots of prayers. keep your chin up it will get better.

Same here... I had a CO2 laser treatment and I ended up with redness (for months) and new acne; my skin became very sensitive too (now is very difficult for me to use BP, retin-a etc.).

After this experience I don't think I will try other invasive treatments like lasers etc., they just make things worse.

I know it's tough but scars are better than scars + redness + sensitive skin + acne, so think about it twice before going for another miracle treatment like I did :(

MemberMember
(@lapis-lazuli)

Posted : 04/08/2013 4:31 pm

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 04/08/2013 7:15 pm

i had appointments scheduled to try and fix the scarring on my chin area but i ended up getting dermatitis and then bad cystic acne so after that i am seeing my scars in a different light. i hate them but after having the bad cystic acne i can deal with the scars a lot better. time does make it easier thats for sure but i did go through denial for a while. its hard to accept and there is no easy way to get through it but for me what helped was having an amazing husband and working out as well as lots of prayers. keep your chin up it will get better.

Same here... I had a CO2 laser treatment and I ended up with redness (for months) and new acne; my skin became very sensitive too (now is very difficult for me to use BP, retin-a etc.).

After this experience I don't think I will try other invasive treatments like lasers etc., they just make things worse.

I know it's tough but scars are better than scars + redness + sensitive skin + acne, so think about it twice before going for another miracle treatment like I did sad.png

that is definitely something to think about for sure. i never got a chance to do any treatments due to those issues i had but i really want to try and avoid the lasers for now because i am afraid it will make my skin worse but i guess the good thing is that the major scarring i have is really on my chin area so thats really the only area i want to treat right now. i am still trying to figure out what to do and everybody i have seen says something different so i am going to see a few more docs and then make my final decision. so how is your skin now?

MemberMember
(@cinnamon-girl)

Posted : 04/08/2013 7:21 pm

I feel ya, I don't often get cystic acne nowadays however I got lots of scarring from the acne breakout I had last year.. the part that was affected is the cheeks which are often the area where the scarring is noticeable and horrible in my opinion... and yeah sad.png however right now I don't have any means to have it treated, I am planning to undergo microdermabrasion treatment, which I think is not that as harsh as laser.. but I still need to save money for it! Ah. eusa_wall.gif

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 04/09/2013 10:07 am

cinnamon girl keep us updated on your progress! microdermabrasian is not a laser its really just a powerful exfoliation is all. i have heard good things about it though if you do a series of 6-12. i might be doing medical microdermabrasian soon but have to go back to the plastic surgeon i saw a few months ago to see if it will help my skin. he originally wanted to do co2 ablative laser on me but it scares me and i dont have the time to be off of work.

MemberMember
(@ryu87)

Posted : 04/10/2013 6:13 pm

I know it's tough but scars are better than scars + redness + sensitive skin + acne, so think about it twice before going for another miracle treatment like I did sad.png

that is definitely something to think about for sure. i never got a chance to do any treatments due to those issues i had but i really want to try and avoid the lasers for now because i am afraid it will make my skin worse but i guess the good thing is that the major scarring i have is really on my chin area so thats really the only area i want to treat right now. i am still trying to figure out what to do and everybody i have seen says something different so i am going to see a few more docs and then make my final decision. so how is your skin now?

Unfortunately worse than before the laser, my skin texture now is less "natural" and if I break out it takes a lot of time for my skin to repair itself cause it becomes more sensitive.

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 04/11/2013 1:39 pm

that is good to know thanks for the info. i really am trying to avoid laser but if i go that route i will have them do a spot test first and then go from there. the guy i am seeing is a plastic surgeon with a lot of experience so i know i will be in good hands at least but yeah the acne part is what really scares me. i am on antibiotics still so that could help that part of it and the laser is just a fractional laser so nothing crazy but i want to wait on that if i can. i think i am leaning more toward subcision or just fillers or fat transfer at this point for the collagen loss but i think they might want to do laser for the raised acne scarring. ahh this would be so much easier if i didnt have multiple issues going on but i will keep what you said in mind. thank you.

MemberMember
(@amcguill)

Posted : 04/11/2013 8:37 pm

Don't let them bother you! A lot of people actually have scars - you just tend not to notice them. In my opinion, even significant scarring has little to no effect on your physical attractiveness - actually, one of the most gorgeous people I've seen was covered in deep rolling scars...they can add character in my opinion.