Notifications
Clear all

Teenage Acne

MemberMember
(@etude)

Posted : 04/08/2013 1:10 am

I'm 16 and I have acne. I realize that it seems almost futile to try and attempt to do anything about it since I'm only going to grow out of it (or so I hope). However, after having a terrible explosion of acne all over my cheeks a little more than a year ago, I've become much more aware of my body and my health. While I know that my acne is mainly hormonal, I refuse to accept that my acne is a normal part of growing. My twin sister has nearly perfect skin (though she does have mild eczema) and both my older brothers grew out of theirs around my age. So what's wrong with me?

I've managed to pretty much clear my back, chest, and t-zone. My main areas are my cheeks, jawline, and temples. I mainly get pustules and papules, no blackheads and very few whiteheads. They're almost always under the skin and they hurt to the touch. So far I've been taking Vitamin D3, probiotics, garlic capsules, and I've recently started to drink ginger and honey tea every morning and night (my dad told me to try it). Over the past month, my breakouts have been less severe and the redness/inflammation has gone down. But I still have acne. Is it my digestion? My liver? What can I do?

Also, the weirdest thing happened to me a couple months ago. I developed seasonal eczema on my hand, but it eventually went away.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 04/08/2013 7:59 am

Intolerance? Citrus caused me to break out in cysts/nodules on my jawline and temples.

MemberMember
(@etude)

Posted : 04/09/2013 9:58 pm

Intolerance? Citrus caused me to break out in cysts/nodules on my jawline and temples.

Hmm, I've never thought about that. But I drink lemon water pretty often and I've had no problems (or so I think). I could definitely try that, thank you!

MemberMember
(@sweetstyle)

Posted : 04/09/2013 10:17 pm

Really? that's crazy because that's something most people would consider a "safe food" since it's fruit and not an acne trigger. How do you feel about grapefruit? (reason I ask is because I have one everyday for breakfast, I'm wondering if I should cut that out too).

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 04/10/2013 7:31 am

Really? that's crazy because that's something most people would consider a "safe food" since it's fruit and not an acne trigger. How do you feel about grapefruit? (reason I ask is because I have one everyday for breakfast, I'm wondering if I should cut that out too).

You have to test it for yourself. And you have to test other foods as well. Because it isn't crazy. Some people are intolerant to strawberries, others tomatoes, other to stone fruit and almonds. You can be intolerant to anything, but you can find a list hypoallergenic food which means few people are intolerant to them. Stick to that for a while, then methodically add foods back into your diet.

I haven't tested grapefruit as I don't care for them. All I know for sure is oranges, tangerines and key limes cause cysts. But not lemons or Persian limes.

Hmm, I've never thought about that. But I drink lemon water pretty often and I've had no problems (or so I think). I could definitely try that, thank you!

I don't have a problems with lemons either. But you could have an intolerance to anything. You need to methodically eliminate foods from your diet to find your intolerances.