Notifications
Clear all

Is It Possible To Grow Immune To Benzoyl Peroxide?

MemberMember
(@sweetstyle)

Posted : 04/07/2013 11:20 pm

For me Benzoyl Peroxide lost it's effect on my skin years ago. I've had acne since 2000-2001 and used B.P for five years straight (layering it just as they say to do and working up in strength) and then perhaps in 2006 when I was 16 or so it just lost it's efficacy on my skin and my skin truly became immune to it (oddly). I was on other Dermatologist prescribed topical products after B.P (various creams, gels of various strengths) and then after 2-3 years my skin grew immune to that too and my derm told me I should stop using it all together and go on Acccutane or birth control because my acne was very resistant but I refused (I'm terrified of medication and I can't swallow pills).

I'm now almost 24 and in the last four months I recently went back to using Benzoyl Peroxide in a 2.5 form by *spectro derm* hoping maybe my skin would be more receptive now but it honestly isn't working. The pimples seem to form right under the B.P as if the medication has no effect. I follow the regimen steps in that I wash my face with a non medicated cleanser by Spectro Derm for 10 seconds, then wait 10-20 minutes and then I start laying the B.P painstakingly and generously all over my face, neck and shoulders for 5 minutes and then I moisturize (only when I notice dryness).

Is it possible to grow immune to the benefit of B.P or topicals in general?

MemberMember
(@quetzlcoatl)

Posted : 04/08/2013 12:57 am

I don't think the bacteria can become resistant to BP. BP can in some cases cause acne, so your skin might have become over sensitive.

It's important to recognize, though, that acne isn't usually caused by bacteria. Depending on what kind of acne you have, killing the bacteria might or might not help you. It's also possible that the antibacterials are not reaching deep enough into your pores, which means you might need systemic antibiotics.

Is there fluid inside the lesions? Like pus? And do they itch?

MemberMember
(@sweetstyle)

Posted : 04/08/2013 1:57 am

I don't think the bacteria can become resistant to BP. BP can in some cases cause acne, so your skin might have become over sensitive.

It's important to recognize, though, that acne isn't usually caused by bacteria. Depending on what kind of acne you have, killing the bacteria might or might not help you. It's also possible that the antibacterials are not reaching deep enough into your pores, which means you might need systemic antibiotics.

Is there fluid inside the lesions? Like pus? And do they itch?

Oh yeah they wanted to put me on Doxy or Tetracycline since I was 13 because of how bad my acne was on my face, back and arms but I was too afraid to go on pills.

Well the acne I have is my no means severe anymore but I still get about 8-9 classic red pimples a week on my face. They start off red and inflamed on the first day and by the second or third day the inflammation goes down as well as the size and then the pussy part comes to surface. No itchiness though from any of the pimples (why do you ask?).

In terms of the "type" of acne I have, well I don't have PCOS or a hormonal imbalance but my acne still flares horribly around my period and gets concentrated around my jawline so I would still say it's mostly hormonal. Probably a genetic component too, as my biological father had cystic acne from when he was a young boy till his late 20's and my mother experienced really horrible acne as well that she relied on birth control pills to manage until her 40's.

MemberMember
(@quetzlcoatl)

Posted : 04/08/2013 7:32 am

If you haven't used antibiotics, the chance of gram negative folliculitis goes down. But since there is pus, there is an infection. It doesn't itch, so it probably isn't fungal. This means that it is most like a gram-positive bacteria that is deep enough in the follicles to evade antimicrobial treatment.

It could be caused by some sort of hormone imbalance. I don't know a lot about that. It's clearly inflammatory, which leads me to think that it's either a kind of folliculitis or there is some internal factor causing it. You could take a look at your diet and food sensitivities, especially if you get any red marks on your chest area.

MemberMember
(@sweetstyle)

Posted : 04/08/2013 1:49 pm

If you haven't used antibiotics, the chance of gram negative folliculitis goes down. But since there is pus, there is an infection. It doesn't itch, so it probably isn't fungal. This means that it is most like a gram-positive bacteria that is deep enough in the follicles to evade antimicrobial treatment.

It could be caused by some sort of hormone imbalance. I don't know a lot about that. It's clearly inflammatory, which leads me to think that it's either a kind of folliculitis or there is some internal factor causing it. You could take a look at your diet and food sensitivities, especially if you get any red marks on your chest area.

I started getting hormonal testing from age fifteen onwards (blood test every two months) ordered by my derm at the time and no imbalances showed up. I went to an endocrinologist when I was 20 and she couldn't find any hormonal disorder either because apparently everything read totally normal in the blood results. I also have had two ultrasounds performed when I was 14-20 and no cysts were found (no pcos). And I have extremely regular periods that come every 3 weeks. I have been told more than a few times that there's nothing wrong with my hormones and I'm probably just really senstive to the normal amount of testosterone I produce as the reason for the acne.

My diet is very strict. I am very aware about the correlation between acne and diet so over the years I have cut out many things (with no results). I eat exactly the same thing every day.

Breakfast: Gluten free oatmeal with raw honey and berries and a grapefruit.

Lunch: a spinach salad with apples and cherry tomatoes and a few onions sliced up.

Dinner: boiled broccoli, a yam and organic casein free tofu

(5-6 bottles of water in between meals)

that's all I eat every day. I never deviate.

MemberMember
(@quetzlcoatl)

Posted : 04/08/2013 8:06 pm

Okay so I think it's safe to rule out hormones as the sole cause. Your diet looks great, and I'm impressed that you can stick to it. One thing that did jump out at me, though, is the tofu. You could consider replacing the tofu (which is soy, a common allergen) with something else. I would recommend meat - especially fish, although I don't know if you're a vegetarian. Fish is probably one of the safest foods to eat and could be a great addition to your diet.

Other than the tofu, it seems like gram negative folliculitis is the other option. The last option would be some sort of dysbiosis.

You don't get any spots on your chest do you?

MemberMember
(@lekry)

Posted : 04/23/2013 3:36 pm

Benzoyl Peroxide is just a solution that brings oxygen into your pores, and the p. acnes that are over produced in acne prone skin can't live in an oxygen rich enviroment. So no, you can't become immune. But acne may flare up on irritated skin and dry skin can bring up acne because of the excess sebum your skin is trying to produce to "moisturize" your skin. Also, benzoyl peroxide takes approx. 3 months to see improvment, for most though is faster. And all it does is kill of bacteria, not drain the pore which your skin has to do which takes time. If you read up on this site, Dan has a lot of helpful information to understand what is going on. And as posted above, it might not even be acne. Unless your derm says so. Your skin is probably just really acne prone. Also you may be using products such as moisturizers or cleansers that have pore clogging or irritating ingredients even if it does say for sensitive skin or non comedogenic. Your shampoo and conditioner could be a contributing factor, and touching your face or over medicating it too much could be as well.