Notifications
Clear all

People Telling You What To Do

MemberMember
(@witzel)

Posted : 04/06/2013 3:28 pm

It really bugs me when people tell me how I should treat my acne. I often hear things like "there's this friend of mine who used product X and it totally worked for them, you should give it a try". This makes me feel even worse about myself, I don't see why my acne problem should be a concern for other people, even if they are just trying to help.

In fact, whenever the acne subject comes up in a conversation (even if it's not particularly about me) I get really annoyed. I think I just avoid that subject.

Sometimes I'm so paranoid about my acne that whenever someone looks at me I assume they're looking at how horrible my face looks like.

Does anyone have similar issues?

MemberMember
(@bailey2)

Posted : 04/06/2013 3:46 pm

YES! I can completely relate to this. When friends start offering me skin advice (especially those blessed with perfect complexions) I get quite bothered. People don't understand how hard we struggle to maintain our skin and it is frustrating that they think it can be fixed so easily.

MemberMember
(@ries)

Posted : 04/06/2013 6:17 pm

I can relate. When someone is making an eye contact, I used to look down but now, I'm just like whatever. And yeah, there are times when my clear skinned mom recommends this and that products and telling me that it worked for her, when she just occasionally deals with unnoticeable pimples. I know that she's just trying to help, but really, it bugs me more than it helps. There are also times when I'm feeling down about my skin, and she tends to misinterpret it as whining.

I also remember when these groups of friends on the bus were talking about dermatologists and acne. I swear, I've never felt so uncomfortable and all I wanted to do was hide in a hole and sleep there for another thousand years.

Right now, I'm at the point where I just mostly don't give a damn about my skin anymore. Remember- the less you care, the happier you will be.

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 04/06/2013 7:05 pm

I'm sure most people here could relate to this!

I think that's how I first tried proactiv years ago (which I did not like at all and it didn't help my acne). I heard some girls at school talking about it and how another friend of theirs had used it for her (mild) acne and how she was pretty now that she didn't have acne and then they sort of gave me this weird look... Like 'take a hint and do something about your skin.' I think I would have been 14 or 15 then. I guess that situation just made me so much more self-conscious about my skin that I ended up buying and using proactiv. I wish now that I hadn't wasted my money on it but if I had never used it I would have kept wondering if it was the thing that would work for me.

And I've had family members (aunts mainly) 'subtly' slip the importance of washing your face or whatever into conversation. Another 'hint.' In those situations I sometimes feel like saying something like 'I'm well aware that I have acne - sorry for that to be a burden to you!' I know in most situations they're trying to help but often it's more upsetting or annoying than anything else...

And I wish clearing acne was as easy as making sure to wash your face!

Having people talk about anything related to skincare, acne, makeup can make me uncomfortable. I feel like people are then going to be more aware of my skin in those situations even if the conversation isn't directly about me or my skin.

Anyway - you're definitely not alone in how you're feeling!

MemberMember
(@fraz_2010)

Posted : 04/06/2013 9:52 pm

A "friend" recommended proactive to me once.

I ran far far away.

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 04/06/2013 10:06 pm

This was the worst. I too got it from a friend back in high school

I ran far far away.

MemberMember
(@witzel)

Posted : 04/06/2013 10:14 pm

I ran far far away.

hahaha

A friend of mine recommended Proactiv, that was a couple of years ago. It actually helped to clear up my skin a little, but then I stopped using it and my acne became even worse it was before I started the treatment. Then I went back to proactiv and it didn't work at all. I guess Proactiv is only effective for teenage girls who have like 3 or 4 pimples on their whole face.

Since then a lot of people have recommended many different products for my skin... I wonder if they have enough dermatological knowledge to go around prescribing stuff. Usually I just don't say anything and try to change the subject.

MemberMember
(@creativedisplayname)

Posted : 04/06/2013 10:30 pm

I think it's normal to feel annoyed, I sure do . I hate when people think they know better though ,when they haven't even dealt with nearly half of what you have. I'm kind of a stubborn one but I still respect their "help" they are trying to give even though in my head I dont give a ....

MemberMember
(@witzel)

Posted : 04/06/2013 10:34 pm

I'm sure most people here could relate to this!

I think that's how I first tried proactiv years ago (which I did not like at all and it didn't help my acne). I heard some girls at school talking about it and how another friend of theirs had used it for her (mild) acne and how she was pretty now that she didn't have acne and then they sort of gave me this weird look... Like 'take a hint and do something about your skin.' I think I would have been 14 or 15 then. I guess that situation just made me so much more self-conscious about my skin that I ended up buying and using proactiv. I wish now that I hadn't wasted my money on it but if I had never used it I would have kept wondering if it was the thing that would work for me.

And I've had family members (aunts mainly) 'subtly' slip the importance of washing your face or whatever into conversation. Another 'hint.' In those situations I sometimes feel like saying something like 'I'm well aware that I have acne - sorry for that to be a burden to you!' I know in most situations they're trying to help but often it's more upsetting or annoying than anything else...

And I wish clearing acne was as easy as making sure to wash your face!

Having people talk about anything related to skincare, acne, makeup can make me uncomfortable. I feel like people are then going to be more aware of my skin in those situations even if the conversation isn't directly about me or my skin.

Anyway - you're definitely not alone in how you're feeling!

Yeah, my mom kept telling me to wash my face like 10 times a day, then I went to a dermatologist and she told me I shouldn't wash it more than twice a day. lol

I've had relatives (aka aunts) recommending me those stupid non-effective natural products like they'd be the easiest solution for acne. I don't go aroung telling my fat aunts what they should do to lose weight.

MemberMember
(@sum1killme)

Posted : 04/06/2013 10:47 pm

It's normal to feel annoyed is it normal to want to harm the individual.

MemberMember
(@foreverbold)

Posted : 04/07/2013 1:39 am

What I like to do is play mindf*ck with these people. I told this one rude woman that recommended me to try "proactiv" and to change my diet that I had an inoperabable androgen secreting brain tumor in my pituitary gland as the reason I had such bad acne and that I'd be dead in a year ... her jaw dropped LOL.

I used to cry, beat up on myself or freak out when these people "tried to tell me what to do with my skin" but now I just f*ck with them for fun.

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 04/07/2013 2:17 am

Seems nearly everyone has had someone recommend proactiv to them :P

MemberMember
(@ibiza1987)

Posted : 04/07/2013 12:28 pm

Yeah over the years I've had family/friends/work colleagues give me unsolicited advice at best and cruel nasty remarks at worst about my skin. It's so depressing, why do people talk to you (and about you) as if acne is your fault??? Or as if you don't realise you have it?! I won't even bore you with all the examples of ignorant advice people have given me. However I also know that feeling of awkwardness when people start talking about skin problems in front of you, makes you think it must be bringing your acne problem to attention. So uncomfortable.

Also, yeah it makes me so annoyed when people with lovely complexions get, say, one zit per week and make such a big deal out of it! One or two spots on an otherwise perfect complexion is a very acceptable flaw to have, but when your whole face is perpetually inflamed due to having aggressive cystic acne it is a totally different problem. Your face just looks a mess, and if you're a girl no amount of make up can cover such a monstrosity :(

MemberMember
(@mjri94)

Posted : 04/07/2013 12:52 pm

What I like to do is play mindf*ck with these people. I told this one rude woman that recommended me to try "proactiv" and to change my diet that I had an inoperabable androgen secreting brain tumor in my pituitary gland as the reason I had such bad acne and that I'd be dead in a year ... her jaw dropped LOL.

I used to cry, beat up on myself or freak out when these people "tried to tell me what to do with my skin" but now I just f*ck with them for fun.

Brilliant!

MemberMember
(@creativedisplayname)

Posted : 04/07/2013 4:04 pm

hahahahah I should try this

MemberMember
(@stella-the-diver)

Posted : 04/10/2013 11:27 pm

Yeah, I feel that when people stare at me, it's because of my skin, too. But I also feel that if no one looks at me, it's because I'm not attractive enough because of my skin.

Also, acne is something I can't talk openly about to any of my close friends. I just feel so ashamed about it. I can't even say the word "acne" out loud, because it will bring attention to my skin. It's like taboo. I had a nervous breakdown once and I had no one to talk to about it. Even if I have really close and kind friends who would be understanding about it, it won;t help me because they have naturally clear skin, and they will never understand my daily struggles.

If ever I had a sleepover, i would feel uncomfortable doing my face-wash routine and applying my medication in front ot my friend because I'm afraid she'll ask me about the products and be like " What's that you're putting on?". For example, once I put some salicyc acid toner and she asked me what it was. Naturally, I wasn't able to tell her it was for my pimples, so I simply answered "It cleanses the face well."

All in all, I live in a complicated state of mind :/

MemberMember
(@0041)

Posted : 04/11/2013 6:32 am

Thats why I hate to talk about my acne with people. They always have a solution. I don't know it pisses me off that people think that you just take a magic pill or put cream on your face and the problem goes away, but somehow I don't know about it... Really? Its like I don't care enough to even bother to try and fix the problem. I guess I really can't blame them but its horrible to hear those things...

MemberMember
(@ibiza1987)

Posted : 04/11/2013 2:01 pm

Thats why I hate to talk about my acne with people. They always have a solution. I don't know it pisses me off that people think that you just take a magic pill or put cream on your face and the problem goes away, but somehow I don't know about it... Really? Its like I don't care enough to even bother to try and fix the problem. I guess I really can't blame them but its horrible to hear those things...

Yes I totally agree, I won't even enter into a conversation with people about it in case they try to suggest something and it just sounds so patronising, I'm 31 and have had acne since age 11 so I really have heard it all. It winds me up so bad and I feel I have to almost get into an argument with the person because I feel attacked, then they look at me like they don't believe me when I tell them the cause of acne, or that I've already tried their 'solution' many years ago and it didn't work.

MemberMember
(@ibiza1987)

Posted : 04/11/2013 2:18 pm

Yeah, I feel that when people stare at me, it's because of my skin, too. But I also feel that if no one looks at me, it's because I'm not attractive enough because of my skin.

Also, acne is something I can't talk openly about to any of my close friends. I just feel so ashamed about it. I can't even say the word "acne" out loud, because it will bring attention to my skin. It's like taboo. I had a nervous breakdown once and I had no one to talk to about it. Even if I have really close and kind friends who would be understanding about it, it won;t help me because they have naturally clear skin, and they will never understand my daily struggles.

If ever I had a sleepover, i would feel uncomfortable doing my face-wash routine and applying my medication in front ot my friend because I'm afraid she'll ask me about the products and be like " What's that you're putting on?". For example, once I put some salicyc acid toner and she asked me what it was. Naturally, I wasn't able to tell her it was for my pimples, so I simply answered "It cleanses the face well."

Oh how I feel your pain :(

For me the subject of skin is pretty taboo as well. I recently got married and have had to hide my outbreaks from my husband in case he says something :( I wear my hair over my face on the days that I just can't face wearing make up. I also have sex with the lights off or in positions where he can't stare at my face which sounds crazy when most people make love in the dark cos they're ashamed of their bodies. For me its my face. Just hate living in fear like this. It's the association people make with acne = poor diet, or acne = poor hygiene that makes me feel so ashamed. I am very particular about what I eat and health in general and cannot stand that people may or may not think I don't take care of myself.

Like you I hate the word 'acne' and it makes me feel so ugly, in fact the other day I was trying to think of another word for the condition which doesn't sound so hideous as I do want to someday be able to talk to my husband about my skin. My friends have always judged me in the past too so now my skin is just not up for discussion any more. I have just had enough of all the patronising unsolicited advice from people who think they know it all. That feeling where you're uncomfortable at sleepovers is so crappy huh?

That complicated state of mind is something I can totally relate to, as well as the daily struggles of trying to make your face look okay. For example - the other night I was at a dinner party with people who are into organic foods/juicing and all that kind of stuff, they were discussing specific recipes and what health complaint they are supposed to be good for, I was petrified that they'd suggest one for my acne in front of everyone including my husband, I kept feeling my heart racing so tried my hardest to change the subject, it was awkward. But on the other hand, maybe they've never noticed my skin but I'll never know for sure. I just hate the thought that people are staring and wondering what's wrong with me. I also have a few minor scars on my cheeks so even when I put make up on my skin never looks smooth, I hate it. When I upload pictures of myself on Facebook I have to use an airbrush photoshop thing on my cheeks :(

By the way, judging by your picture you are a lovely looking girl and your acne doesn't take away from that :)

MemberMember
(@stella-the-diver)

Posted : 04/11/2013 9:48 pm

Oh how I feel your pain sad.png

For me the subject of skin is pretty taboo as well. I recently got married and have had to hide my outbreaks from my husband in case he says something sad.png I wear my hair over my face on the days that I just can't face wearing make up. I also have sex with the lights off or in positions where he can't stare at my face which sounds crazy when most people make love in the dark cos they're ashamed of their bodies. For me its my face. Just hate living in fear like this. It's the association people make with acne = poor diet, or acne = poor hygiene that makes me feel so ashamed. I am very particular about what I eat and health in general and cannot stand that people may or may not think I don't take care of myself.

Like you I hate the word 'acne' and it makes me feel so ugly, in fact the other day I was trying to think of another word for the condition which doesn't sound so hideous as I do want to someday be able to talk to my husband about my skin. My friends have always judged me in the past too so now my skin is just not up for discussion any more. I have just had enough of all the patronising unsolicited advice from people who think they know it all. That feeling where you're uncomfortable at sleepovers is so crappy huh?

That complicated state of mind is something I can totally relate to, as well as the daily struggles of trying to make your face look okay. For example - the other night I was at a dinner party with people who are into organic foods/juicing and all that kind of stuff, they were discussing specific recipes and what health complaint they are supposed to be good for, I was petrified that they'd suggest one for my acne in front of everyone including my husband, I kept feeling my heart racing so tried my hardest to change the subject, it was awkward. But on the other hand, maybe they've never noticed my skin but I'll never know for sure. I just hate the thought that people are staring and wondering what's wrong with me. I also have a few minor scars on my cheeks so even when I put make up on my skin never looks smooth, I hate it. When I upload pictures of myself on Facebook I have to use an airbrush photoshop thing on my cheeks sad.png

By the way, judging by your picture you are a lovely looking girl and your acne doesn't take away from that smile.png

Thank you, you are so very kind :)

Omg, I can totally relate to you. I try to avoid saying the word acne . I mostly have a lot of indented crater-like scars and red hyperpigmentation on my cheeks . So even the word "scar" I hate to pronounce. I went to Sephora looking for makeup and I asked the girl " I'm looking for makeup that can hide ....my marks." That was the "best:" word I could have thought of...If people talk about acne or even skin issues around me, I also get really tense, sweaty and just wish I could disappear.

And I absolutely get so painfully uncomfortable when people get too close to me, because I think they can see my scars better that way. That's why I hate taking the subway during rush hours , it gets really packed :/

When I'm in public bathrooms and there are people around, I just get so shy in front of a mirror, and I wash my hands with my face down so I can avoid looking at myself, unless the lighting is really dim. I would go inside a stall to check myself longer with my pocket mirror and blot the oil off my face in secret.

I'm trying to work on myself on getting over it, but it's really difficult. I try to see myself as a whole and not only my face/skin. So I try to dress up more, play with fashion so that the public eye doesn't wander to my face as much. I should also stop worrying and obsessing about what people might think of me. But, if I'm afraid to even talk to my best friend about it (that I've known for 16 years) , how could I? Some people joke about their own insecurities I guess as a way to talk about it (or maybe they actually got over it and don't care), but I can't fathom seeing myself doing that. It's the same situation as yours with your husband. That's why I'm afraid of dating, being in a relationship,etc. I want to be able to love myself before and not relying on someone telling me I'm pretty.

Anyway, i'm glad I found this website . I wouldn't have been able to express my feelings otherwise. I would only hope to meet people like you in real life. If there was such a thing as "Acne Anonymous" or something like that in real life and not online, I would totally join. Maybe it would help me somehow, i dunno.

MemberMember
(@lylasmith34)

Posted : 04/11/2013 9:52 pm

I totally feel you. The other day I got a lecture from my friend that I shouldn't go on birth control for my hormonal acne because it would make me "moody" and that would be "annoying". I was SO angry at her for thinking that she had a clue what it feels like to have acne. She then told me that I wasn't taking my tetracycline medication correctly. Last time I checked, she is not a dermatologist.